Lindelof - new DM?

Caesar2290

Johnsen played there, O'Shea played there, even Jones played as a DM. But for some reason trying Lindelof is taboo by caf logic.

Nobody says we have to permanently convert him, but no harm in trying him there especially with the way McTomminay is playing.

Hughie77

Now there's the question, my Grandson who's 11 asked me Sunday morning why they don't play lindelof as DM, has a great pass off both feet and can get about that area. This is a fair shout.

lex talionis

No. If we're decimated by injury Lindelof could do a job there but The Iceman is a CB, not a DM.

Foxbatt

I have only one issue with Lindelof as a DM. His lack of tackling.
But with a fit Varane and Maguire as CBs it's worth a try.
I don't like him playing on the right in a back three with Maguire and Varane.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I think he'd be a great CDM. He's better on the ball and more creative than Fred and McSauce.

Dan_F

Clearly bumped after his burst forward yesterday for the goal. McTominay is well capable of that and does it regularly.

Being able to receive the ball facing your own goal, turning and finding a man while under pressure is a skill that I don’t remember him ever showing. It’s kinda crucial for a defensive midfielder.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I feel he'd be Daley Blind in midfield, he's too good of a CB to move him about. Keep him there, is it so bad having at least one CB who can help our transition to midfield?

romufc

One good run from CB and everyone gets excited. I mean a DM is more than just a CB who can pass.

I hope Ralf is not looking at the caf.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Tbh I always thought he'd make a good defensive midfielder.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
He was actually a RB before being place as CB at Benfica youth team. Never saw him play at midfield, but I think is a very difficult transition.
Defenders need to keep shape, block and line in order not to loose position and not leave gaps between each others and have a good anticipation to predict where will the possible through ball go (It's easier than it sounds if you have the right personality, of course).
Defensive midfielders need to be more dynamic to cover passing lanes at all times and more proactive on pressing because they have to cover the space in front of the defenders actively in order to cover the defenders front.

In the old times the defensive midfielder was basically a destroyer, now he's required to do much more.

Pickle85

Lord no. He's good on the ball for a CB but I don't think he's quick thinking enough in possession, or mobile enough, to make this a goer. If he was up against a midfield that pressed and harried i think he'd struggle and would wind up losing the ball a lot. Could probably do a job in a pinch but wouldn't want him there regularly.

Mike Smalling

It’s a Caf guarantee that this will get bumbed after a game where Lindelof does something positive with the ball.

Jericho

I presume some people are high on him because of his forward bursts against Leeds, but he won't be afforded that kind of space as a midfielder.

This kind of reminds me of when people see an mma fighter that's good with his hands and presume that he'd be good at boxing.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not this fecking thing again. He is a brilliant CB and let it stay as is. Just because someone came from defence with ball ,doesn't mean he can be a good DM. Make no mistake when you say this - he is good on the ball for a defender and not a midfielder.

The same people who want to make AWB as a CB or CDM because he can tackle.

Seriously?

hobbers

:lol: Or just buy an actual DM.

SAF lost out on titles trying to turn Smith and Anderson into DMs. History repeated itself with Jones and then Pogba. Why can we never learn a lesson?

TheReligion

Abusive
How do you separate him playing at DM to CB in a three?

Surely he would be better in a 3 with a license to carry the ball with protection from Maguire and Varane rather than DM. Would mean a 5-2-3 or 3-5-2 though.

Could be considered in the CL or big games in the PL?

PoTMS

How do you separate him playing at DM to CB in a three?

Surely he would be better in a 3 with a license to carry the ball with protection from Maguire and Varane rather than DM. Would mean a 5-2-3 or 3-5-2 though.

Could be considered in the CL or big games in the PL?
When we've played 3-5-2 in the past this season, isn't it usually Varane that is down the middle?

TheReligion

Abusive
When we've played 3-5-2 in the past this season, isn't it usually Varane that is down the middle?
I don’t know? Have we had all three on the pitch together in that set up?

Anyway I think it’s better to have Varane with Maguire as he can cover his lack of pace. Let Lindelof carry the ball forward or pick the passes out.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
What proportion of threads in the United forum are about whether we can shoehorn one of our players into a different position? I reckon it must be pretty high. I wonder what the underlying reason is. I suspect it's something about a desperation to redeem a player / position we're lacking in with what we've already got.
I wonder if it would have been different if transfer windows had never been introduced? Everyone would have been looking at a new player then rather than repurposing one of our own.

No. He's not quick enough with his feet and he likes to sit off too much to be in the centre of midfield. A centre mid of any kind needs to be able to take the ball on the turn and a centre back never does that, and Lindelof doesn't look to me like he'd be any good at it.

Dan_F

In general this desire to convert established professionals to different positions needs to stop. I blame Pep!
At least Pep moved midfielders into defence to increase the ability to pass out from the back.

People here are asking for the opposite, to move out a defender who’s comfortable on the ball (somewhat), after spending years moaning that Smalling was bad with the ball at his feet :lol:

El Zoido

What proportion of threads in the United forum are about whether we can shoehorn one of our players into a different position? I reckon it must be pretty high. I wonder what the underlying reason is. I suspect it's something about a desperation to redeem a player / position we're lacking in with what we've already got.
I wonder if it would have been different if transfer windows had never been introduced? Everyone would have been looking at a new player then rather than repurposing one of our own.
Cause we need a good DMF like yesterday, we can’t wait til the summer. It’s always the same: we desperately need a player in a particular position, the transfer window opens and closes without us buying anyone, we STILL desperately need a player for that position. So that’s why we look around the squad.

If the club could effectively identify targets and bring them in with any level of efficiency we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Definitely, alongside AWB because he can slide tackle. Fred at left back, McTominay centre back. Lingard right wing back. Ashley Young up front.

Todd

We need to bring in a proper DM, but Lindelof should definitely be playing ahead of Maguire.