Lindelof - new DM?

Devil81

As others have said, Sir Alex played a fair few centre backs in the holding role and as long as he sticks to the role of sitting deep it could work a treat.

Would certainly be another midfield option and also give him more opportunities of starting matches.

Red00012

Definitely, alongside AWB because he can slide tackle. Fred at left back, McTominay centre back. Lingard right wing back. Ashley Young up front.
You forgot Matic at centre half . Great height addition

Robbo*

I don’t know? Have we had all three on the pitch together in that set up?

Anyway I think it’s better to have Varane with Maguire as he can cover his lack of pace. Let Lindelof carry the ball forward or pick the passes out.
think we did against spurs

Lentwood

It's not a good idea, there's a big difference between being 'good on the ball for a CB' and being 'good enough on the ball for a CM'.

If you look at Saturday as an example, it showed precisely why. Lindelof was excellent for our 2nd-goal, but that was because everything happened in-front of him. He ran forward, passed forward, ran onto a forward pass and laid it off to Sancho. Everything unfolded in straight, forward-facing lines.

There was an example in the first half were somehow, he actually ended up receiving the ball in the CM position. He did what most CBs would do in that position and looked absolutely clueless to what was going on around him, because suddenly he was receiving the ball from a sideways pass in a central area, with opposition players in-front and behind him. Totally different kettle of fish.

The key is being aware of your surroundings and being able to play on the half-turn. Very difficult to just start doing this without years and years of it becoming instinctive.

devils not cry

great idea to be honest.. hope RR would try to play Lindelof at CDM.. he use his head when to run forward, and when to stay to help the CB (Varane + Baily/Jones)

afatzp

It's not a good idea, there's a big difference between being 'good on the ball for a CB' and being 'good enough on the ball for a CM'.

If you look at Saturday as an example, it showed precisely why. Lindelof was excellent for our 2nd-goal, but that was because everything happened in-front of him. He ran forward, passed forward, ran onto a forward pass and laid it off to Sancho. Everything unfolded in straight, forward-facing lines.

There was an example in the first half were somehow, he actually ended up receiving the ball in the CM position. He did what most CBs would do in that position and looked absolutely clueless to what was going on around him, because suddenly he was receiving the ball from a sideways pass in a central area, with opposition players in-front and behind him. Totally different kettle of fish.

The key is being aware of your surroundings and being able to play on the half-turn. Very difficult to just start doing this without years and years of it becoming instinctive.
Very well said. I beg those who think this is a good idea to name one example that a CB converted into DM in his mid 20s and becomes successful.

The truth is, this is day & night difference between the two positions: DM has to always shoulder-check to know his surrounding before he receives the balls in half-turn, while CB rarely develops this habit as they are front facing the entire field.

One the other hand, Lindelöf seems a great CB under Chris Wilder's 352 system . He can drive the ball all the way up or launch lofted long ball at half-space, without worrying the space he left behind. Dalot and Telles seems to be able to flourish at WB as well . I think squad-wise we are ready for 352 system and could give a try as plan B .

Reactions: Invictus

mattunited1978

doommonger

Good post

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Very well said. I beg those who think this is a good idea to name one example that a CB converted into DM in his mid 20s and becomes successful.

The truth is, this is day & night difference between the two positions: DM has to always shoulder-check to know his surrounding before he receives the balls in half-turn, while CB rarely develops this habit as they are front facing the entire field.

One the other hand, Lindelöf seems a great CB under Chris Wilder's 352 system . He can drive the ball all the way up or launch lofted long ball at half-space, without worrying the space he left behind. Dalot and Telles seems to be able to flourish at WB as well . I think squad-wise we are ready for 352 system and could give a try as plan B .
I think Ramos and also Pepe had some games in midfield but never really made the transition. Javi Martinez and Alaba some kind of hybrid CBs and DMs, but they never started out as CBs as far as I know. Also very nice post.

eire-red

I was coming to post pretty much exactly this as well. Being able to receive the ball under pressure is a key part of being a midfielder (or should I say, the type of midfielder we should be looking for).

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Flawless performance from the Swedish Redondo.

Gopher Brown

Barely noticed he was on the pitch - which for a DM, Paul Merton would tell you, is a good thing

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
He hide more than Mctominay. At least he's got the excuse of this being his first game for us there.

Bwuk

It was just to give him minutes at the end of the game.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He hide more than Mctominay. At least he's got the excuse of this being his first game for us there.
Actually pretty terrible cameo, he's never looking for a tackle or a challenge, really is a terrible decision to play him in midfield for that alone. Then the ball gets to him and he plays a two yard backpass always. Stealing minutes from other more useful players too..

Irrational.

Lindelof is an anagram of “fold line” which sounds like “hold line”. Proof that he’ll be an excellent CDM to hold the line.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If we get a game where all three of Lindelof, Shaw and Sancho play CDM, LCB and 10, we need to search the forum for EtH's username because he must be on here :lol:

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Patience guys, let's see what happens when he gets a regular run of games, or does lots of work in training in the role before judging him. It is fair to say that he's not quite a natural there, although with training he could do a solid job there time to time. A bit like Johnny O'Shea could back in the day...

norm87cro

I cant believe some of the CAF thinks this guy deserves a run games. He is BY A COUNTRY MILE our worst cb. The only reason fans dont see it is because he got lucky United paid a ridicilous sum for Maguire but in all honesty Lindelof didnt come cheap either. He is afraid to get stuck in and he gets dominated very easly by any 6ft1 (or more) CF and now some of the CAF thinks hes suited for a very physical position such as the DM?

norm87cro

Patience guys, let's see what happens when he gets a regular run of games, or does lots of work in training in the role before judging him. It is fair to say that he's not quite a natural there, although with training he could do a solid job there time to time. A bit like Johnny O'Shea could back in the day...
John Oshea? You mean the guy that made Figo look funny, scored a winner at Anfield, played a GK once and scored a lovley chip against Arsenal in the 4 2 victory at Highbury?
Its obvious you like John Oshea I do too but comparing him to one of our worst signings ever isnt cool

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Actually pretty terrible cameo, he's never looking for a tackle or a challenge, really is a terrible decision to play him in midfield for that alone. Then the ball gets to him and he plays a two yard backpass always. Stealing minutes from other more useful players too..
This type of narrative seems a bit hostile towards Lindlof without being remotely warranted, its not his fault he was put into that position. Its Ten Hag who put him there, lay the blame on him if anything.

Sometimes using a risk free scenario to try something out could be helpful, like yesterday. If it doesnt work out, thats fine, but lets not go down the route of accusing Victor personally of holding someone back

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I cant believe some of the CAF thinks this guy deserves a run games. He is BY A COUNTRY MILE our worst cb. The only reason fans dont see it is because he got lucky United paid a ridicilous sum for Maguire but in all honesty Lindelof didnt come cheap either. He is afraid to get stuck in and he gets dominated very easly by any 6ft1 (or more) CF and now some of the CAF thinks hes suited for a very physical position such as the DM?
are you @golden_blunder in disguise?

simmee

Nope but if golden blunder has the same opinion about Lindelof as I do he should step foward and say something. There genuenly isnt a player in recent times that played for United and where I just dont see any redeeming quality such as Lindelof
:lol: He's obsessed with Lindelof. You should check the player performance thread.

norm87cro

:lol: He's obsessed with Lindelof. You should check the player performance thread.
I gotta be honest I am. I wasnt before but when I saw that he successfuly out lasted Jose and Ole while getting undeserved minutes for this great club is the time I started to get concerned. The Maguire transfer helped him a lot because people didnt focus how actually s... he is

youmeletsfly

Is that a mile from the country side or just a COUNTRY MILE?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nope but if golden blunder has the same opinion about Lindelof as I do he should step foward and say something. There genuenly isnt a player in recent times that played for United and where I just dont see any redeeming quality such as Lindelof
Hello friend :)

most of the Caf are :wenger: when it comes to Victor. It’s like a cult

huge drop off when he starts as CB, even more so when he’s tasked to fill in for Casemiro

anyway I’ll be nice and say this, if football was a non contact sport he’d be ok