Lindelof - new DM?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Nope but if golden blunder has the same opinion about Lindelof as I do he should step foward and say something. There genuenly isnt a player in recent times that played for United and where I just dont see any redeeming quality such as Lindelof
I didn't know Maguire's family was so active on the forum. Are you the brother or the sister?

norm87cro

Hello friend :)

most of the Caf are :wenger: when it comes to Victor. It’s like a cult

huge drop off when he starts as CB, even more so when he’s tasked to fill in for Casemiro

anyway I’ll be nice and say this, if football was a non contact sport he’d be ok
:) It feels good not being alone

Lee565

Why do fans get so round up by such suggestions of trying a player in a different position, it can be a master stroke at times, look at how howe transformed joelinton from an expensive attacking flop to a midfield beast.

Dve

Casemiro will have learnt a thing or two from that Lindelof performance, which is a major positive.
And if Lindelöf is to play as a DM, he needs to learn how to position himself to help the center backs to play out from the back, which became a lot harder when Casemiro was subbed - and it wasn't Maguire's fault.

NoPace

I'd still rather see Lisandro at DM when Casemiro is out and Shaw or Lindelof at CB. I just think he'll be more active there than Lindelof will be. But my guess is Sabitzer gets a shot at playing the #6 with Fred as the #8. Sancho as the backup #10. End of the day these are better players who have played similar positions at high levels.

I do think this shows that Ten Hag trusts Lindelof and he'll probably stick around while Maguire goes and we sign a replacement, unless Lindelof asks to leave to go start in Serie A or something. He's smart tactically, he can pass the ball, doesn't seem to mind being a backup but generally is healthy and in shape, can play either side, and if we're doing well and dictating games he doesn't have a ton of aerial stuff to deal with alone.

wolvored

I cant believe some of the CAF thinks this guy deserves a run games. He is BY A COUNTRY MILE our worst cb. The only reason fans dont see it is because he got lucky United paid a ridicilous sum for Maguire but in all honesty Lindelof didnt come cheap either. He is afraid to get stuck in and he gets dominated very easly by any 6ft1 (or more) CF and now some of the CAF thinks hes suited for a very physical position such as the DM?
He will be moved on in the summer I am sure.
This summer is like no other summer. TH has had a season to see where we need to strengthen and who to ditch.
New owners and they will want to make a statement like Ted at Chelsea and all that.

A-man

I think it was mostly to keep him up to speed as he is likely to play matches soon, and rest Case at the same time. However we are basically one injury away from playing a defender or winger in midfield so it was good to test and prepare.

Blood Mage

Well he's definitely not a DM, but he's still a solid backup CB. Sick of seeing posts calling him shite, very few clubs have backup CBs as good as Lindelof.

youmeletsfly

Well he's definitely not a DM, but he's still a solid backup CB. Sick of seeing posts calling him shite, very few clubs have backup CBs as good as Lindelof.
Well, as you might know, United fans are rather interesting individuals.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think we need to play him with McTomyam in a midfield two against a top 4 side away from home sometimes.
Would be fun to watch. Especially when the stake is high.

Lee565

It's true, you look at the depth other top teams have at cb and they likely aren't better than lindelof

Rossa

This isn't far from the truth. As a first choice option I dare say he is not good enough. As a back up, he's definitely a solid, if unspectacular option to have.

georgipep

I gotta be honest I am. I wasnt before but when I saw that he successfuly out lasted Jose and Ole while getting undeserved minutes for this great club is the time I started to get concerned. The Maguire transfer helped him a lot because people didnt focus how actually s... he is
The fact that 3 permanent managers have chosen Lindelof in their squads and teams should tell you something about your ability to judge players, their contribution and their value for team.
If Ten Hag sells him, you could say he was a poor fit or even "the worst CB we have". Until then, you are just talking out of your own @ss, thinking you know more than Mourinho, Solskjaer and Ten Hag.

Tell me, what sounds more plausible? Them being right or you?

flameinthesun

He came on at DM. Pretty much had nothing to do, received the ball, passed the ball. Not enough time to make a positive or negative judgement on him. So the negativity around him playing there says more about posters than the player.

norm87cro

The fact that 3 permanent managers have chosen Lindelof in their squads and teams should tell you something about your ability to judge players, their contribution and their value for team.
If Ten Hag sells him, you could say he was a poor fit or even "the worst CB we have". Until then, you are just talking out of your own @ss, thinking you know more than Mourinho, Solskjaer and Ten Hag.

Tell me, what sounds more plausible? Them being right or you?
In normal circumstances I would very much agree with you. 99,9% fans dont know what they are talking about but this is a very rare example of the fan being correct. I never thought of myself as a football genius either but I really cant neglect the obvious. I said it before unlike all our defenders this guy has no reediming quality. Fact of the matter is Jose was punishing Bailly and Shaw and Lindelof got playing time (they both made a few blunders) Ole also made a mistake in rating him too. ETH obviously doesnt buy the hype and thankfully he is not playing in the league anymore but in cup games.

STYLOISRED

Nope but if golden blunder has the same opinion about Lindelof as I do he should step foward and say something. There genuenly isnt a player in recent times that played for United and where I just dont see any redeeming quality such as Lindelof
Sanchez, Lukaku, VbB, Darmian??

A-man

In normal circumstances I would very much agree with you. 99,9% fans dont know what they are talking about but this is a very rare example of the fan being correct. I never thought of myself as a football genius either but I really cant neglect the obvious. I said it before unlike all our defenders this guy has no reediming quality. Fact of the matter is Jose was punishing Bailly and Shaw and Lindelof got playing time (they both made a few blunders) Ole also made a mistake in rating him too. ETH obviously doesnt buy the hype and thankfully he is not playing in the league anymore but in cup games.
Yes you are probably that unique 0.1% who knows better than three PL coaches.
He has played 11 full matches as CB this season and we won 10 of them. Good enough I would say.

NLunited

He‘s a good ball playing cb, I don‘t understand the criticism on here.

norm87cro

He has played 11 full matches as CB this season and we won 10 of them. Good enough I would say.
Well mate I usually dont go into this kind of BS with other fans but yes I am. He is weak, slow and he cant win a duel to save his life. Every player in our defence can say something good about themselves ( Maguire (despite all his limitations): big, strong and air presence, AWB: fantastic tackler, Shaw: great going foward, Martinez: nasty, never say die attitude and can really read the game well.
I think there is no point going into Varane.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We lost 2 games where Lindelof stared, vs Sociedad and Aston Villa.

Vs Omonia - Lost ball in defensive third and they scored to make it 3-2. From comfortable finish to ass twitching finish.
Vs City - Conceded 3 goals after he came on.
Vs Chelsea - We conceded after Lindelof came on for Varane
Vs Villa - 3-1 loss with Lindelof as starting CB.

If you want to use percentages and all that, Lindelof played 6th least mins in league for Manutd this season, 5 players who played less are Weghorst who joined in Jan, De Beek, Garnacho, Elanga, Maguire. So among the senior players he played 3rd least mins in league.

Luckily for him we are in Europa league so that he can play against some garbage teams.

TheReligion

Abusive
It was just to give him minutes at the end of the game.
Nah it wasn’t.

Ten Hag spoke in the post match presser specifically about this.

Basically saying Lindelof was educated as a number 6 at Benfica and he and the coaches have used him in this role in training and know he can do it.

Seems like a Shaw type move to me

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is a bag of nerves really. I'm sure he reads the game decently and has some awareness but he has no quick way to process that information into actions that progress the game. He is afraid of committing to an action, and it's an especially large issue at CB, but wow his midfield cameo really highlighted what his issue is. All the waving his arms about, it's just a distraction as he has no clue what to do himself in either position really. He is capable as a CB, and I want to accept him as a back up but it's a big flaw and it's the type of uncertain energy you don't want to bring in from the bench ideally.

Bwuk

Nah it wasn’t.

Ten Hag spoke in the post match presser specifically about this.

Basically saying Lindelof was educated as a number 6 at Benfica and he and the coaches have used him in this role in training and know he can do it.

Seems like a Shaw type move to me
I’d put money on Lindelof never starting at CDM for us unless we have a major crisis.

A-man

Well mate I usually dont go into this kind of BS with other fans but yes I am. He is weak, slow and he cant win a duel to save his life. Every player in our defence can say something good about themselves ( Maguire (despite all his limitations): big, strong and air presence, AWB: fantastic tackler, Shaw: great going foward, Martinez: nasty, never say die attitude and can really read the game well.
I think there is no point going into Varane.
We lost 2 games where Lindelof stared, vs Sociedad and Aston Villa.

Vs Omonia - Lost ball in defensive third and they scored to make it 3-2. From comfortable finish to ass twitching finish.
Vs City - Conceded 3 goals after he came on.
Vs Chelsea - We conceded after Lindelof came on for Varane
Vs Villa - 3-1 loss with Lindelof as starting CB.

If you want to use percentages and all that, Lindelof played 6th least mins in league for Manutd this season, 5 players who played less are Weghorst who joined in Jan, De Beek, Garnacho, Elanga, Maguire. So among the senior players he played 3rd least mins in league.

Luckily for him we are in Europa league so that he can play against some garbage teams.
I wrote 11 full games as CB and 10 wins which is correct.

Sociedad was 0-0 at half time when he was subbed for Martinez who later was punished with a penalty for handball.
His subs has nothing to do with what I wrote but :
Replaced Varane at 0-3 and then we played 3-3 against City.
Chelsea came on at 0-0 and and yes they scored a penalty goal but we finished 1-1.

He also played 60 minutes in the 1-0 win against Sociedad but I didn’t count that.

So yes, would say he has done his job as the third CB rather well this season.

roonster09

Scout
I wrote 11 full games as CB and 10 wins which is correct.

Sociedad was 0-0 at half time when he was subbed for Martinez who later was punished with a penalty for handball.
His subs has nothing to do with what I wrote but :
Replaced Varane at 0-3 and then we played 3-3 against City.
Chelsea came on at 0-0 and and yes they scored a penalty goal but we finished 1-1.

He also played 60 minutes in the 1-0 win against Sociedad but I didn’t count that.

So yes, would say he has done his job as the third CB rather well this season.
He played full game vs Sociedad, Dalot was subbed off at HT and Lindelof moved to RB and the move that cost us the game as he was shit defensively (as expected as he is a CB).

LuckyScout78

Sorry should give Kobbie Mainoo. A more natural CM a chance to develop in that role. Lindelof shall fight the CB spot.

A-man

He played full game vs Sociedad, Dalot was subbed off at HT and Lindelof moved to RB and the move that cost us the game as he was shit defensively (as expected as he is a CB).
Exactly. Which is why I wrote:

He has played 11 full matches as CB this season and we won 10 of them.
You can complain about the stats as much as you want (even though they were correct, as shown).
The point is that he has delivered as third CB.

Also not sure how it was his fault that he played RB against Sociedad or his fault Martinez was penalised with handball. Probably his fault we lost against Arsenal too.

roonster09

Scout
You can complain about the stats as much as you want (even though they were correct, as shown).
The point is that he has delivered as third CB.

Also not sure how it was his fault that he played RB against Sociedad or his fault Martinez was penalised with handball. Probably his fault we lost against Arsenal too.
No but it is his fault that he is so shit at defending.

Cas18

Think it was OK to try him in midfield when the game was won. Seems ETH likes to have versatile players who can cover more than 1 position. Don't mind Lindelof myself, think he's a good squad option and certainly prefer him coming on rather than Maguire.

Abraxas

I'd still rather see Lisandro at DM when Casemiro is out and Shaw or Lindelof at CB. I just think he'll be more active there than Lindelof will be. But my guess is Sabitzer gets a shot at playing the #6 with Fred as the #8. Sancho as the backup #10. End of the day these are better players who have played similar positions at high levels.

I do think this shows that Ten Hag trusts Lindelof and he'll probably stick around while Maguire goes and we sign a replacement, unless Lindelof asks to leave to go start in Serie A or something. He's smart tactically, he can pass the ball, doesn't seem to mind being a backup but generally is healthy and in shape, can play either side, and if we're doing well and dictating games he doesn't have a ton of aerial stuff to deal with alone.
I'm not sure this convinces me that ETH trusts Lindelof. Maybe he likes him more than Maguire but that's not a tough feat by the looks of it.

Punting him into a DM position in a tie where we're dominating lowly opposition on the scoreboard doesn't say much. He was just a body allowing a few legs to be rested, I find it hard to read anything into that.

At the moment he seems to be some kind of backup in the managers eyes but it's not clear he even likes him over Shaw at CB which was a left field idea in itself. I don't get any great feeling for the manager liking Lindelof, I think the only reason he'll stay is because CB may not be the biggest priority and Harry might go. I think the manager likes dynamic players in the backline that are good in duels, Victor is far from that.