Television Line Of Duty (BBC TV Series)

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
That was brutal. They made no delays in moving the story line along.

It was fairly obvious the girl wouldn’t be the undercover officer, they made her too similar to Thandie Newton and had her carry herself far too much like a police officer for her to be an actual police officer.

I think Maneet’s situation is going to echo the situation Hastings has found himself in. He carried out the dirty work of his superiors not realising at the time how illegal his actions were and since then they’ve had his balls in a vice.

Still think Hastings is straight as a dice in his principles and how he carries out 99% of his work but he’s going to be compromised and in an impossible situation.

Arnot’s ex is still absolutely spectacular.

Member 115509

It was fairly obvious the girl wouldn’t be the undercover officer, they made her too similar to Thandie Newton and had her carry herself far too much like a police officer for her to be an actual police officer.

I think Maneet’s situation is going to echo the situation Hastings has found himself in. He carried out the dirty work of his superiors not realising at the time how illegal his actions were and since then they’ve had his balls in a vice.

Still think Hastings is straight as a dice in his principles and how he carries out 99% of his work but he’s going to be compromised and in an impossible situation.

Looks very promising after that opening episode. Great show, when I saw Stephen Graham was involved I was quite intrigued, he is a great actor.

Oggmonster

Yeah I can't see him involved directly, they seem to be making it to obvious he is hiding something where I can't see him being a bad guy. Similar to what you're syaing about the undercover officer bit last night I suppose.

Did enjoy the episode still best thing on TV for me.

The beep before interviews is getting longer I swear, 1 episode will just be an hour of a constant beep.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Hadn't actually spotted this:

Also, as usual, Ted gets the best lines: "I didn't float up the Lagan on a bubble"

Last edited:

Heardy

Hadn't actually spotted this:

Also, as usual, Ted gets the best lines: "I didn't float up the Lagan on a bubble"
Love that. There were a few Easter Eggs in the episode. When Arnott's phone went off for the Tinder / Dating App match, the woman on the picture is the actor's wife in real life.

Apparently, Vicky McClure is a Forest fan, and there was a Notts Forrest mug in her house - didnt see that myself, but a lad at work mentioned it.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Felt like they managed to fit everything good about the series into 1 episode. A great start.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Ok so I watched season one episode one yesterday after seeing lots of “holy shit line of duty” tweets. Does it get better? I thought the opening scene was a bit jarring and all over the place and some characters were introduced very suddenly. Also the guy who moved to anti-corruption is one of the most wooden actors I’ve ever seen.

Massive Spanner

Ok so I watched season one episode one yesterday after seeing lots of “holy shit line of duty” tweets. Does it get better? I thought the opening scene was a bit jarring and all over the place and some characters were introduced very suddenly. Also the guy who moved to anti-corruption is one of the most wooden actors I’ve ever seen.
Yeah the first season is comfortably the weakest.

Season two and three are much, much better. And Steve (wooden guy) gets better as it goes along.

stepic

it gets way better

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Season two and three are much, much better. And Steve (wooden guy) gets better as it goes along.
Ok cool thanks. Not gonna lie I'm disappointed that guy stays in it based on what I've seen but I won't eternally judge him on just one episode.

Massive Spanner

Ok cool thanks. Not gonna lie I'm disappointed that guy stays in it based on what I've seen but I won't eternally judge him on just one episode.
he is probably the show's weakest character. Ted and Kate are much better, and it's usually the "villains" of each season that are the most fleshed out and interesting characters. Lennie James' character in season one gets really good as it goes along.

But I felt the same about him early on and all I'll say is I .. don't mind him now. he's not a great character or played particularly well by the actor but he's fine.

Oggmonster

He, and the show, get much better. In fairness to him he may be getting used to the accent or something but it does get better pretty quickly.

I did like Series 1 the ending is really good but yeah the other series do get better.

I think it can be hard to get in to a show sometimes after getting hyped up loads cos it can be an anti climax after that.

Member 39557

It's often ludicrous and unrealistic, but equally gripping and compelling viewing. Nigel Clough gets better.

Guy Incognito

I could never really place Steve's accent, one minute it's Australian the next it's SE London. Probably my only bug bear re the character.

It definitely gets better after S1. I think the opener to S3 is one of the strongest in any drama series.

Massive Spanner

I could never really place Steve's accent, one minute it's Australian the next it's SE London. Probably my only bug bear re the character.

It definitely gets better after S1. I think the opener to S3 is one of the strongest in any drama series.
Well he's very, very Scottish in real life so it's pretty amazing he can do either!

SparkedIntoLife

I’ve enjoyed it in parts but feel it’s generally a bit overrated. It’s gotten a bit repetitive for me and I haven’t warmed to the main characters. I’ll likely keep going through series 5 though.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And even then it's still great. It's what drew me in as it was on while I was playing PlayStation and I ended up switching that off and watching the rest.

stepic

I’ve enjoyed it in parts but feel it’s generally a bit overrated. It’s gotten a bit repetitive for me and I haven’t warmed to the main characters. I’ll likely keep going through series 5 though.
How could you not warm to Hastings, if no one else?

Name Changed

weso26
One of my favourite shows. I'm gonna wait until the end of this series and watch them all in one go. Hard to avoid the spoilers though.

Guy Incognito

And even then it's still great. It's what drew me in as it was on while I was playing PlayStation and I ended up switching that off and watching the rest.
Didn't even reach my mobile phone when I binge watched S2 and S3 last week to jog the memory, it's that good. Denton is probably my favourite character of the series.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Currently halfway through season 2. How is the 12 year old getting pretty much every girl.

Nialler

Alex's Dad
Watched the opener for the new season last night, thought it was very good, up to the great standards already set. What I love about it is the amount of "red herrings" they use to throw you, keeping you on your toes, any one of the characters could turn out to be the protagonist. Great show.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
It's characters aren't its strong point tbf, it's mostly a plot driven show. Hastings is the best of the lot for me. I do think it's very good at what it does though, manages to keep the suspense up and even though you go into every season thinking "Right, I know someone will probably die soon" it still manages to catch you off-guard (least it did me).

And oh yeah, fecking love those interview scenes!

SparkedIntoLife

How could you not warm to Hastings, if no one else?
He’s the best of the bunch, admittedly. I suppose I feel the oscillation between ‘is he good?’ vs. ‘is he bad?’ has been played out to the point I don’t really care any more.

I see from this thread that my views on LoD are a minority. I have enjoyed it at parts but it’s getting old for me. I can’t clearly articulate why though. Maybe it’s because I’m normally a fan of plot focused stuff but if the characters aren’t relatable, the plot tends to lose me after a couple of series. Vice versa really - if I love the characters of shows but the plot is weak, I’m less likely to watch beyond one or two series.