Lingard to join West Ham on loan

Godfather

No top side would dream of basing their attacking game around running with the ball on the counter, right?
Nice try. He was shit for us. People need to stop acting like he wasn't. Good that he is doing well for the Hammers though. Might drive his price up. Hope he doesn't turn shit after a few good games like he did for us.

croadyman

Watch Ed haggle up, try and get 30 mil, and we end up with him coming back and being stuck in the reserves, costing us shitloads of money every week
Should snap their hands off for anything between £20m-£30m

Godfather

Yes.

And some of our idiot fans will complain, even though West Ham will continue playing at a mid-table level.
By the logic of some on here they must be on the brink of suicide watching Lukaku kill it week in week out for Inter. Don't see them posting in the Lukaku thread after every goal he scores telling others how good he is though for some reason.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
By the logic of some on here they must be on the brink of suicide watching Lukaku kill it week in week out for Inter. Don't see them posting in the Lukaku thread after every goal he scores telling others how good he is though for some reason.
Dunno about suicidal but I can’t be the only one thinking Lukaku would improve us. I’ve said the same thing in that thread, to similar responses that I’m seeing in this thread. People who think it’s literally impossible for a fresh start to revitalise the career of talented footballers struggling at their former club. Which is a bit fecking weird, seeing how often it happens.

Brophs

The One and Only
Oh to have been at the meeting where some marketing gobshite said “Maybe we can lob a few pistachios on the turkey? Call it a garnish?”
"Afternoon ladies and gents. This is our new creative director, Chris Morris. He's tells me he’s got some incredible ideas for increased pistachio penetration in the market.”

SinNombre

Dunno about suicidal but I can’t be the only one thinking Lukaku would improve us. I’ve said the same thing in that thread, to similar responses that I’m seeing in this thread. People who think it’s literally impossible for a fresh start to revitalise the career of talented footballers struggling at their former club. Which is a bit fecking weird, seeing how often it happens.
Even if this was true, it would be fecking weird to move them back to the same environment where they were struggling.

With Lukaku in particular, he is never going to be starting for an elite club so I feel nothing there. Inter and Milan are not elite clubs by any stretch of the imagination and well below what United's aspirations are.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
"Afternoon ladies and gents. This is our new creative director, Chris Morris. He's tells me he’s got some incredible ideas for increased pistachio penetration in the market.”
"This Thanksgiving, put your turkey on deez nuts. Pistachios. Get Crackin."

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Even if this was true, it would be fecking weird to move them back to the same environment where they were struggling.

With Lukaku in particular, he is never going to be starting for an elite club so I feel nothing there. Inter and Milan are not elite clubs by any stretch of the imagination and well below what United's aspirations are.
Yeah, agreed. Lukaku and Jesse moving on is probably for the best, for all concerned. It’s the weird denial that they’re playing objectively well at their new clubs that is a bit mental IMO. All this “found their level” stuff, as though we should never sign anyone who is excelling at clubs like Inter or West Ham. As though we play a rarified brand of football that none of them would understand.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Yeah, agreed. Lukaku and Jesse moving on is probably for the best, for all concerned. It’s the weird denial that they’re playing objectively well at their new clubs that is a bit mental IMO. All this “found their level” stuff, as though we should never sign anyone who is excelling at clubs like Inter or West Ham. As though we play a rarified brand of football that none of them would understand.
Maybe it's the term "level". Different environment, different style of play. But pressure does come into it too. Both of them are playing very well for their clubs. Lukaku can play well for any team that plays to his strengths. With Jesse it appears that he needed a change of scenery.

We don't play that unique brand of football, but the pressure and scrutiny here is probably unique to England, at the very least. I could imagine only Real, Barca and Munchen have the same sort of pressure. Which makes Bruno's output all the more impressive.

Mainly it's a question of fit, like Pogba does seem to require (last couple of months notwithstanding) a certain setup to look good. And some need that platform to become the greats they were always meant to be (like Eric).

Godfather

Oh I definitely agree. Just can't wrap my head around people wanting Lingard back. The mind boggles. Neither Lingard nor we would be profit from that. He's doing well there and we don't need him.

As far as Lukaku is concerned. I don't know. The way he plays now makes you wonder whether he wouldn't improve us seeing as we have no number 9 fit/in form on a constant basis. Who says he wouldn't go back to turning a bit shit here though.

Godfather

Why is that mental? Players that aren't good enough for a club looking better for a club a few levels below with much less expectations and pressure? Pretty standard stuff no?

klayton88

If he keeps up this type of form for them we might get 500k for him.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Why is that mental? Players that aren't good enough for a club looking better for a club a few levels below with much less expectations and pressure? Pretty standard stuff no?
How are West Ham “a few levels below”?! They’re playing in the same league as us. Six points behind, with a game in hand!

Serie A is different but I do find it mental the way so many people say Lukaku only looks good because it’s a piss poor league. If we were about to sign anyone else in that league who was scoring as many goals as him we’d be, justifiably, excited as feck. Same way we were excited about Bruno’s productivity in a lesser league.

LuckyScout78

West Ham super star now. I didn’t see that coming. I knew the boy is sharp and he is working hard. But 4 goals. Well done and thumb up. Congrat.

CM

We're not getting that much for him get real :lol:
We'll be lucky to get 10mil
They paid £2m for a 6 month loan and he has done well. We're well within our right to ask for over £20m

Dante

Average bang
If we sell Lingard for £20m at £75k p/w wages and replace him with an inferior player in Van de Beek for £40m at £108k p/w wages, that'd be terrible business.

Last edited:

marktan

great question. Who would we rather have...

Lingard or Van de Meek?
Based on what we've seen this season it's Lingard by a country mile. But that's only because VDBs done nothing but pass 5 yards every time he's gotten the ball. I mean I could even do that.

Crustanoid

I can’t believe he’s still playing at 48. Pretty impressive really

el3mel

great question. Who would we rather have...

Lingard or Van de Meek?
I have seen Lingard stinking the place for United for years playing ton of games regularly while this is just VDB's first season and barely even played. No thanks I'll prefer trying something new in VDB than what I have seen last several years.

Godfather

How are West Ham “a few levels below”?! They’re playing in the same league as us. Six points behind, with a game in hand!
How are West Ham not? Always have been always will. A half decent season during a crazy Covid wrecked year hardly changes that. He can play there without the pressure of playing in a top tier team and without much competition for his place. There are a lot of examples for players like that. Zaha anyone?

ti vu

They paid £2m for a 6 month loan and he has done well. We're well within our right to ask for over £20m
Depends on whether young Lingard would ask for a raise, and lengthy contract; or he's Okay with current wage and reasonable contract. If he's squeezing a big personal contract out of West Ham, then we ain't getting much leftover.