Lingard to join West Ham on loan

Bertie Wooster

He gets space because teams do not show up to West Ham planning to park the bus.

Unless you think it's because Nobel and Soucek move the ball more smartly under that champion of progressive football David Moyes than Pogba and Bruno do under Ole?
Yep, 100% agree with that.

Not just Lingard - there's a lot of players who look good playing for 'lesser' teams where they've got space in behind to run into with power and pace, because teams don't defend deep against them. But playing for one of the 'big 6' clubs requires more skill and subtlety than that, because you're far more often coming up against packed defences who just don't give you that space as regularly. And you need to have a better first touch, better footwork to beat a player or two rather than just drive into space, better accuracy of passes / crosses to pick out teammates through a packed defence, etc.

You might have the ball less in teams outside the 'big 6', but when you have it you're less likely to have a packed defence in front of you and more space in behind to drive into.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
Neither would I so fair enough. West Ham, Everton or Arsenal (seriously) is about his level. Upper midtable team.
Arsenal :D I enjoy them being relegated to midtable status in the collective consciousness of the footballing world.

Roane

Having watched the West Ham game the one thing that's truck me was how quickly Jesse gets the ball forward and how he picked up the front men.

One thing we seem to struggle with is providing for Cavani, despite his movement.

Think Jesse could potentially have been the ace in the hole for cavani had his current form been replicated for UTD.

That diop miss at the end was the difference in the ball De Bruyne put in for City's goal, and gitblauded for, and Jesses to Diop. Diop missed but it was imo a better ball. Simply because De Bruyne had 2 players to swim at and I get the feeling the fact it went over ones head and another was running in made it look better. Nwhereas Jesse had one guy and landed it on a sixpence

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This will be Wellbeck all over again. Every time JLingz has a good game, we will see this thread bumped and told how silly we are for letting him go.

Some players thrive on lesser teams because the opposition don't park the bus against said teams. JLingz is benefiting from that and good for him.

Doesn't mean I want him back here.

It's not like he didn't have the opportunities here. He had plenty of chances and just isn't up to the level for a team that should be challenging for the league.

Would City/Liverpool/Chelsea fans him? No. So why do people think he's good enough for us?

Redlyn

So the club want to sell him for £20m? Sounds about right even though In his last season it's a big fee. West Ham wait six months and can get a pre-contract for free. The only challenge is that they could lose him to another club as well.

Eire Red United

What City have is a bunch of £40m-£50m squad players, who realistically would be starting for all their rivals. No one even comes close to having that sort of quality on their bench, it's nothing to do with them being in their prime, it's to do with the fact they can afford to have a squad of such quality in a way no other team can.

Lingard had his chances here, far more than he ever deserved, he wasn't good enough and he was never going to be the difference between us winning a league title and us fighting for top 4.
When you look at the money we’ve wasted in the last 5-10years and the ridiculous wages given to average players, we really should have a squad not far from City’s

kidbob

What I'm most happy about is he's proving he's not a League 2 player! The lad was always clearly good enough to play in the Premier League. So where are the bastards that said he was League 2 level? A prime example of how this forum overreacts to every little thing. Little advice: stop being such emotional idiots that no one likes.

Dante

Average bang
Scored as many goals as Martial in the league this season, playing less than one third of the minutes.

Championship player.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Surely they end up buying him. How much will he fetch with a year left on his deal? 20m, more?

Renegade

The perfect mid table team number 10. I mean that with no disrespect and I’m aware West Ham safe pushing for Europe.
His energy and running with the ball on the counter is perfect for that kind of side. For a top side not so much.

Brophs

The One and Only
Surely they end up buying him. How much will he fetch with a year left on his deal? 20m, more?
£20m for his playing abilities and another £40m for the potential goodwill it would generate with Big Pistachio.

Crustanoid

Watch Ed haggle up, try and get 30 mil, and we end up with him coming back and being stuck in the reserves, costing us shitloads of money every week

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
£20m for his playing abilities and another £40m for the potential goodwill it would generate with Big Pistachio.
I have no idea who you are referring to :lol:

Surely it's a question of whether or not we want to sell.
Why would we mess up a good thing. When we finally get a player out on loan increase his value and likely entice offers.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Scores 30 goals in the pl.

"He's found his level."

:lol:
I think that term is correct in this example. Yes, West Ham are competing for top 4 currently like United but the size and expection is wildly different. It looks like he suits this type of team. An outlier to the top 4 that is capable of pushing in to it if they hit a good vein of form. Lower expectations and less pressure.

mu4c_20le

If there's an option for an extension I'd activate it just to jack up the price, his value is rising harder than gamestop.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The perfect mid table team number 10. I mean that with no disrespect and I’m aware West Ham safe pushing for Europe.
His energy and running with the ball on the counter is perfect for that kind of side. For a top side not so much.
No top side would dream of basing their attacking game around running with the ball on the counter, right?

Hoof the ball

I think that term is correct in this example. Yes, West Ham are competing for top 4 currently like United but the size and expection is wildly different. It looks like he suits this type of team. An outlier to the top 4 that is capable of pushing in to it if they hit a good vein of form. Lower expectations and less pressure.
I agree.

croadyman

Surely it's a question of whether or not we want to sell.
Well if there is no intention of selling Martial/De Gea then surely we would be smart to cash in on him and put it towards addressing our issues in the first XI at CB, DM, RW & ST

Red00012

It’s great seeing our young players doing well on loan . Very positive.