Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I must admit I am taking delight in this move not working out good for either party.

Messi has better talent than Ronaldo but for me he’s not a better player, just my opinion. Atleast Ronaldo had the courage to come back to the PL at his age. It’s not all about skills, need heart and desire to be a true champion.
What courage does going to the PL take? Messi clearly doesn't seem to care about the PL and it's not a lack of courage since he has had no problems spanking teams left and right there. I just don't see where there's any courage in joining a juggernaut like City that had had the PL wrapped around their fingers more or less for the last half-decade. I'm sure if he made that move, people would have plenty of issues with it as well, because no matter what a player like Messi or CR7 (or really any superstar player) does, there's going to be people who have an issue with it. Also, CR7 wanted to join PSG before he thought about going back to the PL, just throwing it out there.

As far as his stats in Ligue 1, they're not great, but most people here only look at the stats and make general assumptions about what it means of the player's performances. Messi has been great in the CL with the stats, but in Ligue 1 his performances have actually been quite good. He's creating chances, he completely turned the game around last game when he came on as a sub, he is one of the most intelligent and gifted players of all time, he is only going to get better from here on out, also his teammates who have to learn how to play with him and use him to his best as well, and last game was one of the first game that PSG actually looked dominant (in the second half) all season. I think he is starting to figure out his place on the team and if I keep seeing some progress, then all of the sudden I'm starting to go from hopeless to intrigued with this Madrid match up in February.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Last season Messi was doing those things and also scoring a million goals. We can assume certain things from that.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
What courage does going to the PL take? Messi clearly doesn't seem to care about the PL and it's not a lack of courage since he has had no problems spanking teams left and right there. I just don't see where there's any courage in joining a juggernaut like City that had had the PL wrapped around their fingers more or less for the last half-decade. I'm sure if he made that move, people would have plenty of issues with it as well, because no matter what a player like Messi or CR7 (or really any superstar player) does, there's going to be people who have an issue with it. Also, CR7 wanted to join PSG before he thought about going back to the PL, just throwing it out there.

As far as his stats in Ligue 1, they're not great, but most people here only look at the stats and make general assumptions about what it means of the player's performances. Messi has been great in the CL with the stats, but in Ligue 1 his performances have actually been quite good. He's creating chances, he completely turned the game around last game when he came on as a sub, he is one of the most intelligent and gifted players of all time, he is only going to get better from here on out, also his teammates who have to learn how to play with him and use him to his best as well, and last game was one of the first game that PSG actually looked dominant (in the second half) all season. I think he is starting to figure out his place on the team and if I keep seeing some progress, then all of the sudden I'm starting to go from hopeless to intrigued with this Madrid match up in February.
Weren't they already in the lead before he came on though?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
They were already in the lead, so what are you even talking about?
What I'm even talking about is that he came on, immediately got an assist, and PSG looked far more dangerous from there on. I didn't say he rescued PSG, I said he turned the game around because PSG were suddenly creating far more dangerous moments if you watched the game.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
What I'm even talking about is that he came on, immediately got an assist, and PSG looked far more dangerous from there on. I didn't say he rescued PSG, I said he turned the game around because PSG were suddenly creating far more dangerous moments if you watched the game.
Just looked it up and they were 2-0 up when he came on, "turned the game around", what a bunch of nonsense.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
What was the final score? Maybe they were under pressure before he came on?
Doesn't matter if they were under pressure, there is no such thing as "turning the game around" if you are leading 2-0 with half an hour(?) left.

Made them look better? Okay, thats not the same as the statement the other person made.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Just looked it up and they were 2-0 up when he came on, "turned the game around", what a bunch of nonsense.
Ah cool, you looked it up, but I actually watched the game so I don't really care what your website told you. Sergio Ramos had just scored the second goal before he came on from a deflection off a corner, and the first was a Veratti goal which is basically the equivalent of winning the lottery. They didn't look great. They were under pressure, they looked far more convincing and dangerous once he came on. He turned their offense around. Weird pedantic thing from someone who didn't even watch the game.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he turned the game around when they were winning, they should have lost.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
"I know this isn't the right thread but let me just squeeze out my thoughts before I finish this"
That is how you counter insecure cr7 fans like your friend over there and yourself

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
The courage take is absolute BS, he just wanted out of Juventus and United were the ones who gave him a deal after City were wavering. Ronaldo just went to whoever offered and still had a CL spot which ironically may see him In Europa next season. If he leaves united after they fail to get a CL spot then that will explain a lot.
Exactly, when Juventus was crumbling, Mr brave and courageous jumped ship

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Hopefully he can improve this season.

Messi at Argentina was a different level to the Messi playing for Barcelona/La Liga all his career - so I always was craving to see him play for a different team and playing against a different type of opposition football through a full season.

Hopefully the current Balon'dor carrier can start performing in Ligue 1 just months after dominating things in the La Liga and Copa America.

Yeah fair point. I agree that there’s nothing amazing about joining Man City who have a dream team like PSG. I just wanted to see him play in the most competitive league in the world. I understand that he’s gone to the French League though, after all the guy is like 34. I know he can still perform in a bad team too because the recent Barcelona sides he’s played in have not been great but his stats never dropped.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Ah cool, you looked it up, but I actually watched the game so I don't really care what your website told you. Sergio Ramos had just scored the second goal before he came on from a deflection off a corner, and the first was a Veratti goal which is basically the equivalent of winning the lottery. They didn't look great. They were under pressure, they looked far more convincing and dangerous once he came on. He turned their offense around. Weird pedantic thing from someone who didn't even watch the game.
Fact is you plain used the wrong phrase. Period. You made it sound like they were losing and needed rescuing.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Yeah fair point. I agree that there’s nothing amazing about joining Man City who have a dream team like PSG. I just wanted to see him play in the most competitive league in the world. I understand that he’s gone to the French League though, after all the guy is like 34. I know he can still perform in a bad team too because the recent Barcelona sides he’s played in have not been great but his stats never dropped.
He tried to join man city last year.

He tried to join man city last year.
Even if he went City, it’s still far harder than being in a one team league. Every game is hard in the premier league and there are at-least some clubs such as Chelsea and ours who have the resources to compete with them.

Gehrman

Even if he went City, it’s still far harder than being in a one team league. Every game is hard in the premier league and there are at-least some clubs such as Chelsea and ours who have the resources to compete with them.
I agree, but psg have been relying on late winners and lost the League last year. And atm the pl is a one team league as well. Just not to the same degree.

Baneofthegame

I read somewhere today that Messi has one of the worst shot conversion rates in the top 5 leagues?

Ibra has literally gone to both PSG and America in his career though.
Very true but I think there was a huge difference in motives between Ibra and Messi. Ibra has a goal of winning trophies in as many countries as possible, Messi has gone there solely for the pay cheque. Nobody can blame him though, they pay good!

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I read somewhere today that Messi has one of the worst shot conversion rates in the top 5 leagues?
Yes, you’re right and the worst conversation rates in the top 5 leagues is Cancelo.

Messi has taken 44 shots and managed to score only 1 goal in Ligue1, Cancelo has taken 46 shots and managed to score only the same rate as Messi.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Psg didn’t even win the league last year, united have made the epl just as lopsided in fairness.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
This is why Cristiano is very frustrated lately. Messi has fallen off his HGH cliff and his career has come to a complete stand still. This was an opportunity for Cristiano to peel way ahead in the history books

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is why Cristiano is very frustrated lately. Messi has fallen off his HGH cliff and his career has come to a complete stand still. This was an opportunity for Cristiano to peel way ahead in the history books
:lol:

And Ronaldo is trying to catch up rather than ever peeling away. If anything, given some people only focus on trophies and records, it was Messi who peeled further away once he won an international trophy.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I wonder if people who are posting really see how he is playing or are only seeing stats. Stats meaning goals only.
I've seen him play quite some this season. He's not flopping like missing first touches etc. Obviously, it's Messi. He still has that Messi touch on the ball when it's with him but something just seems off and he generally has bad games. I don't know if that's tactical or what. Part of me thinks he just doesn't care for PSG as much. Maybe he will when it's crunch time in the champions league or something.

The only thing I can see clearly is that he has lost the bit of explosiveness he had with runs but that's very normal at his age. Other than that I think Neymar, Mbappe etc are just too much of an attack oriented team. Messi really should have joined City as Pep would have had a better idea on how to use him.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Well, Cristiano certainly knows he isn't winning another Balloon D'or.
He seems very obsessed with the Balloon, more than he should tbh, he has won a lot of team trophies.

Gehrman

Wrong thread.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That's right. He should have stayed at Juventus.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You would just have to skim through the posts of Cristiano fans invading this thread, extraxt the best quotes about mentality etc., edit them in front of the image a lion, wolf, eagle, shark or another very manly animal and it would make for a perfect Instagram channel.

Something like this

It’s not all about skills, need heart and desire to be a true champion.
Just add a little pyramid scheme and this thread becomes a true gold mine.

mu4c_20le

I've seen him play quite some this season. He's not flopping like missing first touches etc. Obviously, it's Messi. He still has that Messi touch on the ball when it's with him but something just seems off and he generally has bad games. I don't know if that's tactical or what. Part of me thinks he just doesn't care for PSG as much. Maybe he will when it's crunch time in the champions league or something.

The only thing I can see clearly is that he has lost the bit of explosiveness he had with runs but that's very normal at his age. Other than that I think Neymar, Mbappe etc are just too much of an attack oriented team. Messi really should have joined City as Pep would have had a better idea on how to use him.
There is something very wrong when even the likes of Neymar and Di maria are putting in more of an effort..."its Messi" isn't exactly an excuse for being unprofessional and unmotivated.

sukhy

It’s not BS. He could have gone to PSG or America, he chose to challenge himself, that’s the type of guy Ronaldo is. Similar to Ibra in that mindset.
Ronaldo had Mendes offering him around to all of the big clubs in the summer, Real Madrid, PSG both said no. United said no, and then once the City rumours started, United panicked, offered Ronaldo DOUBLE the wages City did, and Ronaldo went to United.
Also, I don't think Ronaldo is allowed in America atm.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ronaldo had Mendes offering him around to all of the big clubs in the summer, Real Madrid, PSG both said no. United said no, and then once the City rumours started, United panicked, offered Ronaldo DOUBLE the wages City did, and Ronaldo went to United.
Also, I don't think Ronaldo is allowed in America atm.
I love how you say this pure speculation with absolute confidence :lol:

Gehrman

There is something very wrong when even the likes of Neymar and Di maria are putting in more of an effort..."its Messi" isn't exactly an excuse for being unprofessional and unmotivated.
The only match ive watched with him where he looked exactly was against City in the 2nd leg. Not saying he couldnt do more to work his ass off, but i think he needs a long consistent run of games to get going. He was looking more dynamic untill he got covid and was out again.

sukhy

So why did he only move in the last week of the transfer window? Surely he'd want, and his new club, would want him to have a bit of a pre season?
It's been reported everywhere, that United panicked when the City rumours started, just like we did with Alexis, Fred and Maguire.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
I think he has confidence because that's exactly what happened as reported by multiple reliable news outlets such as Eurosport, ESPN, Guardian etc. see the below link.
Ronaldo was already offered to PSG, Real, Chelsea, City, United and none were interested. Ronaldo would very likely to be still at Juve if City managed to sign Kane. City was also not willing to give 500k a week or pay 21m asking price to Juve unlike United.

https://www.eurosport.com/football/...-switch-inside-footbal_sto8507145/story.shtml

You would just have to skim through the posts of Cristiano fans invading this thread, extraxt the best quotes about mentality etc., edit them in front of the image a lion, wolf, eagle, shark or another very manly animal and it would make for a perfect Instagram channel.

Something like this

Just add a little pyramid scheme and this thread becomes a true gold mine.
Haha you make my post sound so cheesy because you deleted out the rest of what I said! I stand by my opinion that Messi has basically finished his career too early. He still has so much to offer but of course it’s his choice. When you compare the end of his career to the likes of Giggs, Ibra, Ronnie who have competed right until the end of their careers, it is slightly disappointing but that’s just my opinion and not a fact! Yes I am a self confessed Ronaldo fan boy though :lol: