Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladron de redcafe

He's still pointing the finger squarely on Tebes and it might be more posturing to get La Liga to relax their stances. On the other hand, that was a more definitive statement than what the Catalan media were fed yesterday.

Withnail

I think it’s obvious that after Neymar, Messi’s entourage made it crystal clear exactly what they could get from PSG or City and demanded that Barca match it or he’d be off.
I don't doubt they put the pressure on but I'm not sure any other club would have gone as high as Barca and I'm also not convinced Messi had any firm desire to uproot his whole life and move to another country after living in Barca since he was a child.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think that when you earn that level of money, you actually no longer need any more money and if you love the game and the club so much, one of the most incredible things you could do is in fact, play for free. Talk about turn you into the ultimate martyr.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Yeah I’ve noticed, bizarre reactions.

Personally think Barça will ultimately be better off, just as when they jettisoned Ronaldinho and we all thought “wtf”. They need this to free up options for a genuine rebuild. Mark my words, next Summer they’ll be signing a World superstar again after going close in the La Liga race.
Exactly.

We won the Premier League immediately without Ronaldo him being part of the team. A lot of doomsayers were predicting our downfall. There is such an idea that total effectiveness of a group effort with one another is greater in their effectiveness. This is not to say a player like Messi on his own can make a difference.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I think that when you earn that level of money, you actually no longer need any more money and if you love the game and the club so much, one of the most incredible things you could do is in fact, play for free. Talk about turn you into the ultimate martyr.
And which player would do that, walk away from tens of millions of something?

DaGOAT

Why on earth are some people blaming Laporta for Messi leaving?

Bartomeu (the former Barca President is at fault for multiple reasons:

- Giving absurd contracts to players whose level does not merit that (i.e. Roberto, Griezmann)
- Buying the wrong players (Coutinho, Griezmann the biggest one) with fees way above what Barca should pay.
- Rejecting that big offer to let Messi go last summer to not have “letting Messi go” on his name - even though economically that would have been the right decision.

That’s not even mentioning all his scandals.

People in the football world blaming Laporta should direct their blame to Bartomeu and his board.

Ladron de redcafe

Why on earth are some people blaming Laporta for Messi leaving?

Bartomeu (the former Barca President is at fault for multiple reasons:

- Giving absurd contracts to players whose level does not merit that (i.e. Roberto, Griezmann)
- Buying the wrong players (Coutinho, Griezmann the biggest one) with fees way above what Barca should pay.
- Rejecting that big offer to let Messi go last summer to not have “letting Messi go” on his name - even though economically that would have been the right decision.

That’s not even mentioning all his scandals.

People in the football world blaming Laporta should direct their blame to Bartomeu and his board.
It's all on Bartomeau. It took years of gross incompetence to put Barcelona in the mess in which they currently find themsleves.

Laporta is in a no-win situation at the moment. Every option seems to be undesirable.

TheReligion

Abusive
Do people think this is still some "power play" nonsense? Or has everyone accepted it's goodnight sweet prince

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
He can stay for free and play in the CL only seeing as they can't register him for La Liga at all unless they get a waiver.

Ladron de redcafe

Exactly.

We won the Premier League immediately without Ronaldo him being part of the team. A lot of doomsayers were predicting our downfall. There is such an idea that total effectiveness of a group effort with one another is greater in their effectiveness. This is not to say a player like Messi on his own can make a difference.
We lost it by a point but won it with ease the following season. A key distinction here is that a large part of Barcelona's sponsorships are tied to Messi making a requisite number of appearances, according to Sport and MD (both Catalan sources).

If he leaves, Barcelona stand to lose a lot more than his on-the-pitch impact.

I don't disagree with your point, overall. We saw the same happen when Van Nistelrooy left and we became a better team by adjusting and changing the way we played. Barcelona are not going to turn into trash because one player left.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Barcelona are going to be in big trouble next season. Without Messi I'm not even sure that team has enough quality to get to Champions League let alone compete for trophies and there will surely be big motivation issues with some of these players that they were trying so hard to ditch. Considering their financial situation it may take years for them to get back to being competitive.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
We lost it by a point but won it with ease the following season. A key distinction here is that a large part of Barcelona's sponsorships are tied to Messi making a requisite number of appearances, according to Sport and MD (both Catalan sources).

I don't disagree with your point, overall. We saw the same happen when Van Nistelrooy left and we became a better team by adjusting and changing the way we played. Barcelona are not going to turn into trash because one player left.
Thanks for correcting my mistake.

choccy77

Didn't Barca approach several players to renegotiate their contracts and take a pay cut so they could meet Messi's wage demands, only to not be able to extend a contract to Messi?
So they've essentially trimmed the wage bill buy negotiating down players who are staying, but also weaseled out of a ridiculous contract for Messi.
Did they know all along they could not extend his contract? If so, that's rough on the players who took one for the team.
Barca asked 6 players to leave but they refused.

They also asked a majority to take pay cut's which again I believe was refused.

Idxomer

Are fans allowed back in La Liga?

If they are and there's no Messi, the atmosphere is gonna be so toxic at Camp Nou in the 1st few weeks.

Barcelona are going to be in big trouble next season. Without Messi I'm not even sure that team has enough quality to get to Champions League let alone compete for trophies.

ter Stegen
Roberto Lenglet Pique Alba

Busquets
De Jong Pedri

Griezmann. Aguero. Fati​

Countinho, Depay, Dembele on bench

Name 4 better sides in La Liga?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

ter Stegen

Busquets
De Jong Pedri

Griezmann. Depay. Fati​

Countinho, Dembele on bench

Atletico are better for sure. Sevilla, Villarreal will be competitive. Madrid will get better. They've been used to playing with Messi for so long it will also take them a while to adjust to whatever system they are going to be using now.

The quality of individual players isn't bad but a lot of them are either in decline (Pique, Alba, Busquets, Griezmann) or very young. It's not the best mix.

Atletico are better for sure. Sevilla, Villarreal will be competitive. Madrid will get better. They've been used to playing with Messi for so long it will also take them a while to adjust to whatever system they are going to be using now.

The quality of individual players isn't bad but a lot of them are either in decline (Pique, Alba, Busquets, Griezmann) or very young. It's not the best mix.
Griezmann isn’t in decline. And Busquets was the best midfielder along with Pedri in the entire Euros.
It’s still a cracking team of individuals, some brilliance in attack and the probably the best midfield in Europe.

Ladron de redcafe

Thanks for correcting my mistake.
No problem. Just off by a year.

Barca asked 6 players to leave but they refused.

They also asked a majority to take pay cut's which again I believe was refused.
They're getting abuse for it but that isn't fair either. They have signed contracts and really shouldn't have to take paycuts if they don't want to. It's Barcelona's board's job to figure their way out of the mess and the finger should be pointed squarely at them. The vituperation of players who have done nothing besides ask to have the terms of their contracts met is crazy.

As someone said a few posts above mine, I can't imagine his toxic the atmosphere would be if these fans were allowed into Camp Nou.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
And which player would do that, walk away from tens of millions of something?
Some I imagine. This isn't like he has been on a tiny, semi-pro contract, he's worth several hundred million. He doesn't need the money, at this point it is greed. I will also say this isn't me laying the blame at his door, Barca is an utter shower of a club that is run like the mafia.

flappyjay

ter Stegen

Busquets
De Jong Pedri

Griezmann. Aguero. Fati​

Countinho, Depay, Dembele on bench

I thought the same too until I found out they still face an uphill battle to register Memphis, garcia, Emerson and Aguero. Fati had back to back injuries, I don't expect him to be his old self for a while.

UncleBob

There would be a queue of clubs wanting to require the services of some of their players if they really wanted to save on salaries. To make matters more confusing they went onto require players for free this summer at more costs. There's something weird going on in Barcelona. The problem is they just to keep Messi at the expense of other players so understandably other players are on a mission to stand their ground.
It's about as "weird" as the Arthur <-> Pjanic deal.

with nothing to actually back it up.

I thought the same too until I found out they still face an uphill battle to register Memphis, garcia, Emerson and Aguero. Fati had back to back injuries, I don't expect him to be his old self for a while.
Hey, if they can’t register I’ll concede that they have a tough season ahead.
But they’ll get there I’m sure now this farce is over.

Withnail

Do people think this is still some "power play" nonsense? Or has everyone accepted it's goodnight sweet prince

The Spanish journalists all seem to think so. The disagreement is over this CVC deal and the ESL.

If Barca sign up to the agreement La Liga will allow them to register Messi.

Status
Not open for further replies.