Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

3lite

Can't say I'm surprised... dude even tried escaping his taxes.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The best thing about this situation is it's taken the shine away from the Grealish signing. :smirk:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought the same too until I found out they still face an uphill battle to register Memphis, garcia, Emerson and Aguero. Fati had back to back injuries, I don't expect him to be his old self for a while.
Laporta has said he thinks they'll be able to register Aguero, Depay and Garcia anyway.

slyadams

Can't help but feel this is a big own goal by Messi. At 34 years old he's worth north of 500m. He could take a big pay cut, stay and help the club he's been at since he was a boy or go and earn a tonne of money for a few more years.

izec

Can't help but feel this is a big own goal by Messi. At 34 years old he's worth north of 500m. He could take a big pay cut, stay and help the club he's been at since he was a boy or go and earn a tonne of money for a few more years.
I think he accepted wages of 30% of his current contract. The issue is even if Messi played for free, they would be in trouble.

mancan92

We have a chance to sign the best player of all time that will guarantee us a prem title. I don't understand why we are not going for him. We have the money

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We have a chance to sign the best player of all time that will guarantee us a prem title. I don't understand why we are not going for him. We have the money
We currently have to sell to buy. We clearly don't have the money.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Ole’s “anything can happen” quote obviously refers to this.

Withnail

Do they? Isn’t it just a majority vote?
Ok sorry I've gone and read all the quotes etc from the past few hours. I probably should have done that before responding.

It looks like you're right and he's likely gone. I hadn't realised that Barca still have to reduce their wage bill by a significant amount to even get the new signings on board without Messi.

RedDevilPure

What actually happened? I thought he looks certain of staying after agreeing to a 50% paycut and with him finally winning something with Argentina and favourites for Ballon D'Or, he looks to fire Barca to the title next season. Barca President's statement sounds like they have had enough of him so will be interesting to see if this is on Messi or Barca. Funny thing is I think Barca will survive without him and could win La Liga next season.

Gonçalo Motta

Lets be honest, if he really wanted to stay at Barça, he would stay.

Nothing is stopping him to accept a low wage pay since he is already at the end of his career and has enough money for a few lifetimes.

Kudos for him for leaving and start a new challenge elsewhere though.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
What actually happened? I thought he looks certain of staying after agreeing to a 50% paycut and with him finally winning something with Argentina and favourites for Ballon D'Or, he looks to fire Barca to the title next season. Barca President's statement sounds like they have had enough of him so will be interesting to see if this is on Messi or Barca. Funny thing is I think Barca will survive without him and could win La Liga next season.
Wasn’t a pay cut, it was just two years spread over five to circumvent wage caps

It was still HuGe

It wasn’t enough anyway because Barca’s wages are SOOo bad

MUFC OK

What will Messi’s wages be at PSG? Neymar is on £850k a week already. Could be over £120m a year for the team, wow.

MUFC OK

£50m a year? No I don’t think we do tbh.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he doesn't move people say he's safe in his comfort zone etc.

I don't see the issue. Messi probably needs a change. Barcelona need a fresh start and to be run well more than they need specific individuals. It could work out to the benefit of everyone.

And Barcelona fans should support the players they do have. Some are still very good footballers and may shine once thr club's overall direction improves.

Oranges038

Yes, he's so greedy. Barcelona gave him everything and he did absolutely nothing for them in all his career. What a cnut.
He owes everything he has right now to the club who paid for his hormone treatment. Without that he wouldn't even have a .000001% of what he has now and he'd probably be working in the magnet factory with his Dad.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Some I imagine. This isn't like he has been on a tiny, semi-pro contract, he's worth several hundred million. He doesn't need the money, at this point it is greed. I will also say this isn't me laying the blame at his door, Barca is an utter shower of a club that is run like the mafia.
There's absolutely no one in top flight who would play for free.

And I do get you, they're all set for several lifetimes with earned money, but still don't see anyone saying 'that's it, I've earned enough'.

Sounds romantic and would be unbeliavable to see someone walking away from profit just to play the game for the boyhood club, but sadly don't think we'll ever see that, not from biggest stars who only want more and more no matter how much they've already earned.

amolbhatia50k

He owes everything he has right now to the club who paid for his hormone treatment. Without that he wouldn't even have a .000001% of what he has now and he'd probably be working in the magnet factory with his Dad.
He's repayed the club through his efforts on the pitch. Like any club - individual relationship, it's never one sided. Sir Alex/Sir Bobby and Manchester United, for example, gave each other everything rather one being in debt to the other (although many of us probably do feel that way about the great man).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If not Barca, some other club would have picked him and paid those medical bills.

Barca gave him so much and he paid them equally well with 15 years of exceptional performance which won't be matched for years to come.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I agree with Anka's sentiment, but surely if a "normal" company were spending a high percentage of their revenue on wages, paying their workers such high salaries... this wouldn't be considered hyper-capitalism - they'd be considered quite an ethical company wouldn't they?

Although ofcourse in football situation the players are assets/products aren't they.

spiriticon

PSG are going to be terrifying next season.

They'll probably still go out in the SF of the CL though :lol:

Oranges038

If not Barca, some other club would have picked him and paid those medical bills.

Barca gave him so much and he paid them equally well with 15 years of exceptional performance which won't be matched for years to come.
None of the Argentinian clubs would befpre he went to Spain, because the whole country was swamped in a massive recession.

Of course whether any other European clubs would have taken the punt is another thing. There are no guarantees, but he ended up in Barcelona due to family ties and here he is today, because of what they did for him.

He's repayed the club through his efforts on the pitch. Like any club - individual relationship, it's never one sided. Sir Alex/Sir Bobby and Manchester United, for example, gave each other everything rather one being in debt to the other (although many of us probably do feel that way about the great man).
He could learn a thing or two from Sir Bobby, instead it looks like he is going to high tail it out of there for some oil money.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
I think so too. With the team they have they should be competing for the league title. I am assuming they register the newly signed players.

To win the champions League, they would have to fix the defense. And get a big name player. They will get one anyway. They always have one player like that.

amolbhatia50k

He could learn a thing or two from Sir Bobby, instead it looks like he is going to high tail it out of there for some oil money.
You're not getting the point which is that club legends aren't in this huge debt to their respective clubs. Same with us and our legends. Odd view to hold tbh.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
None of the Argentinian clubs would befpre he went to Spain, because the whole country was swamped in a massive recession.

Of course whether any other European clubs would have taken the punt is another thing. There are no guarantees, but he ended up in Barcelona due to family ties and here he is today, because of what they did for him.

Of course we don't know how it would have gone if some other club had signed him. Barca signed him, he proved his worth and repaid them for 15 years of exceptional performance. He was paid well and Barca were served well, winning 3 CLs by being the best player.

Not sure what more he can do, he accepted to take wage cut and also to be paid over 5 years, even for free they can't register him as they had to cut down the wages first.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Messi wasting last years of his career in Ligue 1 would be a shocker. Doubt it'd even work that well, Messi, Neymar, Mbappe front line would be quality but also totally unmanageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.