Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

Pretty weak if it goes through. His legacy is no better than Neymar's.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
Pretty weak if it goes through. His legacy is no better than Neymar's.
I'd find it a bit sad to see him playing there, but it's very different situation to Neymar. He went there in his prime, Messi is 34.

Infra-red

Will be funny when the Messi fans claim that winning La Liga and Ligue 1 is the equivelant of Ronaldo winning PL, la Liga and Serie A.
To be fair, I doubt he will care much about Ligue 1. PSG are clearly going all out for the CL and that's all Messi has reportedly wanted for quite some time, too.

They obviously failed domestically last season, but the likelihood is that PSG will stroll to the title again next year - playing a nice, easy domestic schedule would also probably appeal to Messi, with his last ever World Cup just around the corner.

Gets to hang out with his pal Neymar again, too. Makes sense on a lot of levels, really.

Bob Rivers

Supports
Chelsea
L'Equipe report PSG will be paying Lionel Messi €40m a year... after tax.

PSG had already told those who manage finances in French football that they had budgeted for a €250-300m loss for the 2021/22 season. They been planning €180m in player sales, but that hasn't happened yet. That's all before Messi.

L'Equipe: 'PSG intends to be inventive and persuasive. A player of Messi's fame will inevitably generate additional income. It will also be likely to attract new economic partners, to spread the PSG brand even more in the world, to sell more jerseys.'

Classical Mechanic

Coming on 6 years now, that squad will be the heaviest favorites we've seen in a while though
Maybe for you. Not for me. The weakness in that PSG team was Neymar in my opinion, far too lazy in his defensive work. That's why we were able to beat them in the CL. Add the laziest player in football and I think they'll be too easy to play against on the counter. Ramos is 35 too, it's 'The Geriatrics' rather than 'The Galaticos' for me.

Wayne's World

Well football died years ago when you let the likes of PSG (and City) ruin transfer fees and completely destroy the integrity of fair competition so seeing Messi join them must be the icing on the cake for them

InfiniteBoredom

I’m absolutely not convinced at all that any coach can fit the current Messi, Neymar and Mbappe into the same team and not get massively out worked in crunch fixtures. Claims of CL are premature.

Gonna be weird, a bit surreal even, to see him in a PSG shirt though.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Maybe for you. Not for me. The weakness in that PSG team was Neymar in my opinion, far too lazy in his defensive work. That's why we were able to beat them in the CL. Add the laziest player in football and I think they'll be too easy to play against on the counter. Ramos is 35 too, it's 'The Geriatrics' rather than 'The Galaticos' for me.
No he's not, actually Mbappé is lazier than Neymar. Neymar's defensive work in CL is tolerable, not great but not a liability either.

Your basic statement is true though, i don't think Messi will improve our chances of a CL win tremendously since our biggest weakness was our full backs (we fixed half of the problem with Hakimi but still have to rely on Bernat coming back from an ACL surgery or Kurzawa, which is terrible) and the lack of talent in the midfield (except Verratti). We'll have to see if Wijnaldum can be useful but i'm not that sure.

hungrywing

“Feasible financially” :lol: It’s the fecking pretence this lot and City go through to pretend they’re playing by the same rules as everyone else that really pisses me off.
What, you don't have that app that with a single tap of a thumb simultaneously deposits one million Euro in the accounts of dozens of select UEFA/FIFA officials and certain politicians?

gorky_utd

So much love for barca from messi. They paid him 500m in last 3 years, and he happily leaves them to join another European club (I don't care about the barca press briefing). He could have easily played for free for one year?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Lionel Messi chose PSG! The latest discussions are about a 2-year contract + another optional season. The PSG is trying to close the deal over the weekend. Messi's father is due to meet PSG in the next few hours. The Parisian board room is happy.
Yup, it's happening.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
PSG is the right move for him.

Perfect training for the World Cup - an easy league, a star studded team, an Argentinian manager.

The PL would be too competitive and physical for him at 34. Though he’d still dominate it, the risk of injuries etc is far higher than at PSG where they can win the league at a canter.

Can see him there for 3 years, bagging another CL or 2.

Rolaholic

Apparently they've already booked the Eiffel tower on the 10th for his unveiling, they did the same thing for Zlatan and Neymar

gorky_utd

One club players are history now a days. Even Iniesta did not stay in Europe.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
So, how will PSG line-up this season ?
No clue, there's no line-up that would seem balanced. As I previously said, on offense we have Mbappé-Neymar-Messi-Di Maria-Icardi-(Draxler)-Sarabia but our left back is a wonderful choice between Bernat who's injured for almost a year or Kurzawa. It's ridiculous.

I'd probable go with something like that though :

DaGOAT

Will be funny when the Messi fans claim that winning La Liga and Ligue 1 is the equivelant of Ronaldo winning PL, la Liga and Serie A.
Ronaldo couldn’t even lead Juventus to a league title last season despite Juventus winning the previous 9 titles. He joined the by far most dominating team. So pipe down. PSG aren’t even French champions when Messi joins them, although they are by far the superior French team.

Winning with the United side back then? So impressive from Ronaldo. About as impressive as Messi winning with this City side.

Messi’s legacy is set as one of the greatest of all time who WANTED to be a one club man. Now he just wants a pay check, play with his Argentine buddies and possibly win a CL.

Crustanoid

Isn’t there some kind of rule, the name escapes me, to regulate spending in football? PPF or something? Maybe I just dreamt it

gorky_utd

No clue, there's no line-up that would seem balanced. As I previously said, on offense we have Mbappé-Neymar-Messi-Di Maria-Icardi-(Draxler)-Sarabia but our left back is a wonderful choice between Bernat who's injured for almost a year or Kurzawa. It's ridiculous.

Solid line up. But not strong enough to stop Rashford from scoring :).

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I'm happy that he doesn't come to Premier League. Makes Ronaldo's legacy untouchable.

PSG is suitable for him and PSG is so happy with that transfer. I am happy too, because PSG are bottlers, their mentality is weak and Messi actually unbalances their squad even more. Great deal from marketing perspective, not so great from football one.

On paper, this is the greatest attacing trio of all time, but in reality... well let's see. I have my own assumptions. This squad will kaboom soon. Messi is too big for Poch and for Mbappe.

If Mbappe matures, deals with his issues and starts tracking back (but he won't because Poch is not that respectable person for the Frenchman), then this team would be frightening. But yeah it won't become one so no worries.

Reactions: Sultan

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Leo Messi to PSG is forever going to be the darkest day in football, a club whose only achievement the past 20 years is getting pumped full of money from owners with bottomless pockets.

I genuinely cannot imagine a more soulless transfer. The way Bartomeu ran Barcelona borders on criminal negligence. He's solely responsible for the near-impossible mess Barcelona is in.

95% of their revenue is tied up in player salaries without Messi. Just thinking about how grossly incompetent that club has been run makes the blood boil

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
This almost confirms Mbappe is off. Even if it is next summer.

Psg still won't win cl. Team of egos

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Christ, they'll stroll the CL.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
could be the best front 3 in the world, or a liability. Can’t see those 3 wanting to do a lot of defensive work!

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So much love for barca from messi. They paid him 500m in last 3 years, and he happily leaves them to join another European club (I don't care about the barca press briefing). He could have easily played for free for one year?
Messi didn't leave Barca. Barca ditched him.

Status
Not open for further replies.