Status
Not open for further replies.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They still won’t win the UCL.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
No he's not, actually Mbappé is lazier than Neymar. Neymar's defensive work in CL is tolerable, not great but not a liability either.

Your basic statement is true though, i don't think Messi will improve our chances of a CL win tremendously since our biggest weakness was our full backs (we fixed half of the problem with Hakimi but still have to rely on Bernat coming back from an ACL surgery or Kurzawa, which is terrible) and the lack of talent in the midfield (except Verratti). We'll have to see if Wijnaldum can be useful but i'm not that sure.
The best for PSG now is to sell Mbappe to RM for whatever money they can get rather than let him leave for free next summer. I don't think he will renew his contract.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Because they had no choice. You cannot pay 150m per year to a single 30 year old player.
As of now barca can't register Depay or Agureo even without Messi's contract. It doesn't matter Messi's wage is 500k a week or 100k a week. Barca can't register him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Because they had no choice. You cannot pay 150m per year to a single 30 year old player.
They’re still over the budget without Messi! Aguero and Depay might get loaned out

Dominos

L'Equipe report PSG will be paying Lionel Messi €40m a year... after tax.

PSG had already told those who manage finances in French football that they had budgeted for a €250-300m loss for the 2021/22 season. They been planning €180m in player sales, but that hasn't happened yet. That's all before Messi.

L'Equipe: 'PSG intends to be inventive and persuasive. A player of Messi's fame will inevitably generate additional income. It will also be likely to attract new economic partners, to spread the PSG brand even more in the world, to sell more jerseys.'
Given the situation is anyone surprised he's able to demand such absurd wages?

Barca are out of the equation so his previous salary is now irrelevant. Essentially PSG just have to make the highest offer on wages vs everyone else who could realistically be in for him.

The only clubs with the potential to get him realistically are City, Chelsea, United and PSG - and even then some or all of the English clubs may not even make an offer because they've allocated their funds elsewhere or are trying to adhere by financial restrictions.

Rolaholic

Leo Messi to PSG is forever going to be the darkest day in football, a club whose only achievement the past 20 years is getting pumped full of money from owners with bottomless pockets.

I genuinely cannot imagine a more soulless transfer. The way Bartomeu ran Barcelona borders on criminal negligence. He's solely responsible for the near-impossible mess Barcelona is in.

95% of their revenue is tied up in player salaries without Messi. Just thinking about how grossly incompetent that club has been run makes the blood boil
Should be happy he didn't end up at Citeh like it was looking like last summer, that would've been the most soulless transfer of all time.

Going to another league outside of the Prem takes a bit of the sting out of it for me and I'm actually excited to see how they look since on paper they have arguable the greatest attack ever assembled

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal

Barca are out of the equation so his previous salary is now irrelevant. Essentially PSG just have to make the highest offer on wages vs everyone else who could realistically be in for him.

The only clubs with the potential to get him realistically are City, Chelsea, United and PSG - and even then some or all of the English clubs may not even make an offer because they've allocated their funds elsewhere or are trying to adhere by financial restrictions.
That is his market value. You will never going to buy a 100m dollar house with 10k. Sancho is on £350,000-a-week and he doesn't even start for England.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

I was thinking the same thing, they only have to outbid the next highest offer, and who would that be? Surely no one will be looking to generate massive losses just to say Messi player for their team besides some billionaire. With City bowing out, there's no need for PSG to offer so much.

Infra-red

Nothing new!

Qatar and UAE haven't been on good terms for a number of years.
Indeed.

Messi will definitely feature heavily in the promos for the Qatar world cup next year. This is quite a coup for them and has come at just the right time!

Dominos

That is his market value. You will never going to buy a 100m dollar house with 10k. Sancho is on £350,000-a-week and he doesn't even start for England.
The house analogy doesn't work, the 100m dollar house will obviously have other buyers offering more than 10k, and the owners can always keep the house and it maintains it's value anyway.

If let's say Chelsea are the only other top team making him an offer and it's at 400k per week, why would PSG need to triple that offer? Messi's options are accept the best offer on the table, or retire...

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
The house analogy doesn't work, the 100m dollar house will obviously have other buyers offering more than 10k, and the owners can always keep the house and it maintains it's value anyway.

If let's say Chelsea are the only other top team making him an offer and it's at 400k per week, why would PSG need to triple that offer? Messi's options are accept the best offer on the table, or retire...
You should call Leonardo and educate him before the ink is dry on the contract. He and PSG are being robbed.

izec

He will do it in another league outside of his comfort zone Barca to finally cement his GOAT status :drool:

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Feck me.

What a team PSG have built bought.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
That was my question - how does it hurt his legacy? The standard parameters for legacy were goals, assists, trophies, creativity, longevity, impact, etc. The overwhelming majority of fans (including Barca) will not believe he has 'tarnished' his legacy of winning 30% of all of Barca's trophies and scoring 10% of Barca's entire goals in their history.
No, not only, there's also the story you tell. It's not only about numbers, it's also about what you tell the fans. It could have been Messi, one man one love, like Totti for Roma. It's going to be Messi, the legend that decided to finish his carreer at PSG for good paycheck. It matters for the fans believe me. He'll still be a legend but it'll be a stain for a lot of fans in spain.

EngimaMK

Messi didn't leave Barca. Barca ditched him.
Sorry, that's bullshit. Barca were scrabbling around trying to offload players, offering other loyal servants huge paycuts and reneging on THEIR deals, all to accommodate Prince Lionel.

Crustanoid

Indeed.

Messi will definitely feature heavily in the promos for the Qatar world cup next year. This is quite a coup for them and has come at just the right time!
Now I remember why I hate what modern football stands for. At this point, it is so far removed from the ethos of the sport and why it has become part of our culture - the sport is basically a means for billionaires to leech from it or corrupt states to serve their political aims.

EngimaMK

Now I remember why I hate what modern football stands for. At this point, it is so far removed from the ethos of the sport and why it has become part of our culture - the sport is basically a means for billionaires to leech from it or corrupt states to serve their political aims.
Yeah, it isn't pretty anymore. Maybe it never was, but it's certainly become uglier.

Status
Not open for further replies.