Lionel Messi \ Signs for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
It's the rest I think he would struggle with over 38 games.

In La Liga, most teams lay off him and let him run 4 or 5 times a game. Premier league will be more physical so he will have less room to stroll for 75 minutes like he did last season.
This is old Andy Gray banter.

DannyDee

To some people money means everything. This is the kind of move Juan Mata would make if he was Messi. But Messi is Messi.
Egos will always come into play. They will look at someone who they view as a lesser player on the same team making significantly more than them, and it would bother them. It's human nature. Like, Paul Scholes loved United, and say we were close to broke and he plays for free. You don't think he'd be driven insane by watching Anderson collect 100k a week? I think people overlook the typical workplace politics of being a professional player due to their love for the club.

GoldanoGraham

It’s really the only place he could go…..remember this guy has been institutionalised at Barca for the last 21 years - if you move him to far from his comfort zone I think that he would struggle - both mentally and physically……playing in Ligue 1 in a team like the Harlem Globetrotters compared to the rest of the league will be a great farewell for Messi…..he will be bathed in Quatari Gold and will earn a fortune…..he will look like a genius in an inferior league playing in a team of show ponies….I think he will ultimately regret it but that team is now going to be playing under immense pressure - hope Poch can deal with the egos and circus that is going to ensue!!!!

I bet Pep is gutted - he would have taken Leo over Grealish all day long….got to say I’d love to have seen him in the PL.

on the flip side - there is no PSG Pogba deal happening now this season - looks like we have him this season now until he walks for free next year

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Egos will always come into play. They will look at someone who they view as a lesser player on the same team making significantly more than them, and it would bother them. It's human nature. Like, Paul Scholes loved United, and say we were close to broke and he plays for free. You don't think he'd be driven insane by watching Anderson collect 100k a week? I think people overlook the typical workplace politics of being a professional player due to their love for the club.
True, by the end of the day it's about self image "how come is he getting paid that much while I'm 3 times better than him?". I think him playing for free is not fair unless if he thinks it's a charity. He could have reduced his wage demand if he really wants to stay though....

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
The greediest fecker in football and the most disgusting, immoral club in football. It's a match made in heaven.

DannyDee

True, by the end of the day it's about self image "how come is he getting paid that much while I'm 3 times better than him?". I think him playing for free is not fair unless if he thinks it's a charity. He could have reduced his wage demand if he really wants to stay though....
He also probably made Barcalona a ton of money over his time there. It's not really his fault they completely mismanaged their books.

dinostar77

This could have interesting ramifications for Utd. Obviously any move for Pogba to PSG is dead in the water. So its sign a new deal or leave on a free next summer. PSG will be more attractive to him now for next summer.

Also if Mbappe decides to hang around and renew his deal, Perez and Madrid will shift their focus to Haaland. Again not good for us.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I can't see Mbappe renewing.
I actually think, with PSG's potential signing of Messi, that it makes it easier for him to leave.

Houdini

It's a shame that he won't end up in PL. Feel sorry for Barca fans too. The management feccked it up bigtime.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Proof, if ever it was needed, that Messi just cares about the money. Absolute joke to go to PSG as the best player in the world. Shitting on his own legacy tbh. The guy is probably a billionaire at this point, or close to. Go and play for a proper club, in a proper league you twat.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Proof, if ever it was needed, that Messi just cares about the money. Absolute joke to go to PSG as the best player in the world. Shitting on his own legacy tbh. The guy is probably a billionaire at this point, or close to. Go and play for a proper club, in a proper league you twat.
PSG aren't even league champions to be fair ;)

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Like England, where City has won 3 of the last 4? I'm tasting salt.

Meanwhile ESPN must be thrilled to have just shelled out 1.4 billions for La Liga rights. I'm not in the camp that La Liga suddenly becomes irrelevant, too much talent there still, but it definitely would not have been valued that much with the knowledge Messi was leaving.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Apparently in yesterday's meeting, and when Messi had agreed to lower his salary to 30 net, they told him that it was not enough and that he would have to lower it more, so the offer ended up being 20 net.
The journalist says that Jorge Messi got angry with one of the executives, since he felt cheated. In another tweet they say that Messi's father told Laporta "you used my son to win the elections"

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Ah yes, that 'farmers league' that coincidentally produces some of the best talent in world football.

Neymar

Not a peasant
Supports
Neymar & Messi
PSG may be an annoying, fake club but still... Messi and Neymar reunited at last :drool:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
But it's still a league chock full of quality. The French league is a huge step down. Huge.
Are you winding me up? The drop off after the top 4 is pretty astronomical, and the gap between first and second last season was pretty remarkable for a league supposedly with so much quality. It's a step down for sure, but no one is going to PSG for the league, it's all about the Champion's League and winning Paris' first would be a huge accomplishment given how desperate and the billions spent to accomplish it over the last decade. If he comes in and PSG wins, it doesn't even matter if he's the main reason for it, he will be seen as the man who changed PSG's fortune and got them to the top of Europe. I think that's far better than winning another one for Liverpool/United/or even winning City's first.

Eddy_JukeZ

Are you winding me up? The drop off after the top 4 is pretty astronomical, and the gap between first and second last season was pretty remarkable for a league supposedly with so much quality. It's a step down for sure, but no one is going to PSG for the league, it's all about the Champion's League and winning Paris' first would be a huge accomplishment given how desperate and the billions spent to accomplish it over the last decade. If he comes in and PSG wins, it doesn't even matter if he's the main reason for it, he will be seen as the man who changed PSG's fortune and got them to the top of Europe. I think that's far better than winning another one for Liverpool/United/or even winning City's first.
Far better?

Really?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I mean I don't get how you can come to the conclusion that it'd be far better.
Because I think a first-time ever champion in a major European city like Paris is more interesting than adding to a club's riches in Manchester or Liverpool for example. I'm only speaking for myself here.

Dobba

Apparently in yesterday's meeting, and when Messi had agreed to lower his salary to 30 net, they told him that it was not enough and that he would have to lower it more, so the offer ended up being 20 net.
The journalist says that Jorge Messi got angry with one of the executives, since he felt cheated. In another tweet they say that Messi's father told Laporta "you used my son to win the elections"
The music they use in the background will never stop being hilarious.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
The premier league is easily the best league in the world in terms of depth of quality and competitiveness. Nowhere else even comes close.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The music they use in the background will never stop being hilarious.
This show is as close to a soap opera as a football news program can get.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
The premier league is easily the best league in the world in terms of depth of quality and competitiveness. Nowhere else even comes close.
You can't say that when the champion was decided months in advance.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I would have preferred he had stayed to see them (more)ruined with that contract.
I do not understand paying that to a 34-year-old player but the culés have always lived in Narnia with Messi.
Although on the other hand we have suffered him for many years, and I suppose they will have to sell Mbappe? Or maybe they don't give a feck and will keep him for a year , signing Pogba on top of it.
I also do not understand why PSG pays those contracts to Ramos and Messi with their age. They still have football but I don't know if they are the best option to win the Champions League.
Messi's farewell disastrous considering that he has been there since he was 12 years old, although he started it with the burofax

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
What I don't get is what happened yesterday. Why did Messi even come because even with added reduction to his demands, they were still nowhere close to being able to sign him, so why even bring him in? Optics?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Better than decided before the league even starts.
I'll give you a minute to google last season's standings in Ligue 1.

Also, I'm pretty sure City is on their way to another Premier League this season as well, hope I'm wrong but I'm going to go on a limb here. That being said, I think PSG will be this season's champion as well, with or without Messi; controversial, I know.

English clubs are vastly superior financially, but competitive within the league? Not so much compared to other leagues. It's City most of the time and the odd winner here and there, outside of the Bundesliga, it's pretty much what you see everywhere else just with lesser budgets.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
on the flip side - there is no PSG Pogba deal happening now this season - looks like we have him this season now until he walks for free next year
We can put more pressure on him now -- the WC is coming up and if we limit the number of games he plays unless he signs...

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
This... I'll be very sad because I think it's a done deal for PSG and it's just.... Well, not worst case scenario for my ideas personally, but the French league level... Messi will just stomp every team and while that'll be a spectacle, I was dying to see him in the Premier League. Sure, he's not peak Messi, but he's still as world class as they get, and I would absolutely love to see him have a go with the English...
At this stage in his career the Premier League might be too though for him but if he was to join let's say City or Chelsea then he would have a good enough team around him to do his thing. In France everyone expects PSG to win the thing so it's not going to be a very remarkable feat and that would leave only the UCL to better gauge how strong of a team they can become with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.