Lionel Messi

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well deserve win for Messi. He finally has a major trophy for his country.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
The curse is gone. Messi can finally relax and enjoy his last years of football without any form of pressure. I'm just so happy right now. Even Neymar smiled the whole time, like he won the final together with Messi, instead of losing it. But he was always like that. Back in the days at barca, Neymar was more happy for Messis goals than his own.
Now I just hope Messi can end his european career at barca and not at psg. That would be too painful to watch. Laporta, you got one job. Sell Dembele, Coutinho and Griezmann together if it's necessary to hold on to the GOAT for another 2 years.

Mr Smith

Not at all. Messi was very good in the 2015 final, good in 2016 final and certainly better than Cristiano in any of his finals in 2014.

FYI, he played the semi final vs Colombia and final vs Brazil with a hamstring injury.
I didn't know that, is that confirmed? It would certainly explain a lot of the way he played in this game; didn't look right.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Well done Messi absolutely delighted for him, he doesn’t deserve to have the ‘no international trophy’ hanging over him when he retires.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well done Messi and Argentina. Player of the tournament along the way to winning in the final vs a superior Brazil team. Everyone wrote Argentina off before the match, so hats of to them.

redshaw

Glad he won something big for his country, well deserved and player of the comp as well. Hopefuily he can be respected back home in some parts as a few years ago it did get ugly.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So why did they have one in 2019?
Look at the history of the Copa America. It’s always been a random number. It went from annually to 2,3,4 and then back to 3,2 years. It’s never been a consistent number of years between.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
2011, 2015, 2019. sequence.
Than in 2018(when 2019 was already scheduled), they decided that they should be holding it same years as Euro, so they instead of waiting for 2024, they announced 2020.
Which just supports the points about insane scheduling, no?

Look at the history of the Copa America. It’s always been a random number. It went from annually to 2,3,4 and then back to 3,2 years. It’s never been a consistent number of years between.
Oh, I know, but the poster I responded to said it's been packed lately because they did an anniversary edition in 2016, then decided they wanted to do it in line with the Euros, which didn't really tie up with their being one in 2019.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Which just supports the points about insane scheduling, no?

Oh, I know, but the poster I responded to said it's been packed lately because they did an anniversary edition in 2016, then decided they wanted to do it in line with the Euros, which didn't really tie up with their being one in 2019.
Yes it is insane scheduling but it isn't that those were held so Messi can win one.

mshnsh

I didn't know that, is that confirmed? It would certainly explain a lot of the way he played in this game; didn't look right.
Scaloni "You can never do without a player like him, even when he is not fully fit like in this game and the previous one.”

dinostar77

Messi still hasnt won a World Cup. Pele, Maradonna, Brasilian Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Beckenbauer etc all have.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Definitely managed to secure himself the title of SGOAT last night. Congrats

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Even if he wins world cup, still people will prefer someone else.
I mean I see people in social media and youtube arguing that the likes of Roberto Baggio, Recoba, Ruud Gulitt and so on being better than Messi and Cristiano.
That is how football is, and will always be.
Their is still a section who believe that Charlton was better than Best, Garrincha was better than Pele, Rivaldo was better than Ronaldo, Puskas better than Di Stefano, Finney better than Mathews and so on.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
2011, 2015, 2019. sequence.
Than in 2018(when 2019 was already scheduled), they decided that they should be holding it same years as Euro, so they instead of waiting for 2024, they announced 2020.
Stop dealing with facts, people won't like it. Also pretty hilarious how extra Copa's were all to help Messi when the 2019 edition was in Brazil. Also the officiating in the SF that year was pretty bad. But aye both were created solely for Messi. :lol:

Robertd0803

Stop dealing with facts, people won't like it. Also pretty hilarious how extra Copa's were all to help Messi when the 2019 edition was in Brazil. Also the officiating in the SF that year was pretty bad. But aye both were created solely for Messi. :lol:
Yeah the whole extra Copa's being created to allow Argentina to win one has been one of the more amusing takes in the Messi debate. (And this being from someone who will always be on the Ronaldo side of the debate).

Happy for Messi, he was the GOAT anyway but if he retired without an International trophy there would have been that little smudge against his status as the true GOAT. No doubt about it now.
I don't think this really changes that does it? He still needs to be the catalyst in a world cup win to put that to bed. That's the level he's up against when it comes to who is the greatest player ever.

Pocho

Scaloni: "Messi played injured the last two games, but we needed him for what he brings even injured."

croadyman

Maybe it will be a good omen for England that Messi ended his long wait for an international trophy who knows