Lionel Messi

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I don't think I've seen a player who improved his free-kicks so much as he's gotten older.

Best player in the world at 34, amazing.
It's very impressive yeah. I'm still waiting for him to be truly well past it, but even so it's between him and Lewandowski to win the Ballon D'or.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's had a wonderful Copa. Top goalscorer, some 9 or so goal contributions, most chances created too I believe, and of course, finally an international trophy. Should have buried that chance where he lost his footing but fair play on doing all of this after his Argetina career seemed to end sadly.

DaGOAT

Worst final but together with 2014 World Cup his best overall tournament with Argentina.

4 goals and 5 assists are really fecking good.
Deserved this trophy. Not only best Argentine, but best player period in the whole tournament.

Ladron de redcafe

I think this just about puts him level with Maradona at this point. I don't see a compelling argument to put him behind Diego, at this point in time. Messi has the rest of his career to unfold to inch forwards.

He'll go down as the greatest ever, in all likelihood.

Ladron de redcafe

Player of the Tournie, Top Scorer and the Copa. If there was one for top assister he'd have got 4.
And he's going to win the balón d'or again, which should seal his legacy as the greatest of this generation. 7 is a staggeringly big number and it seems almost cartoonish.

mu4c_20le

I think this just about puts him level with Maradona at this point. I don't see a compelling argument to put him behind Diego, at this point in time. Messi has the rest of his career to unfold to inch forwards.

He'll go down as the greatest ever, in all likelihood.
Put the whiskey down :lol:

padr81

Supports
Man City
And he's going to win the balón d'or again, which should seal his legacy as the greatest of this generation. 7 is a staggeringly big number and it seems almost cartoonish.
I think so, for all the stuff and rivalry about them both as football fans we are blessed to have seen the era of Leo and Cristiano. Delighted they both got their international trophies in the end. Tonight though is all about King Leo.

mu4c_20le

Not a big shout, that. Messi is considered among the greatest 2/3/4 of all time regardless and by many as the greatest.
This just about puts him level with Ronaldo, possibly slightly ahead depending on your level of bias. Maradona won a WC

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
I just hope that now, without the pressure of winning something with Argentina, he finally gets to play a World Cup to enjoy the experience and get as far as they can. He didn't get a proper chance in 2006 and carried too much pressure in the last 3 editions, Argentina won't be favourites in Qatar, but they surely can use this title to settle up the squad and make a good run.

Mshafeek

Was really bad in the final. Capped off by that miss towards the end. The pressure really got to him it seems. Nevertheless had a very good tournament overall.

Rojow

According to Scaloni he was playing injured the last two matches. But anyway, top scorer and assists of the tournament. MVP of tournament also.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
debatable
not at all, Messi average rating in finals compared to Ronaldo isn’t even close. Ronaldo was awful in nations league final, absent in euro 2016 final and bad in 2004 final. Not debatable at all.

RooneyLegend

not at all, Messi average rating in finals compared to Ronaldo isn’t even close. Ronaldo was awful in nations league final, absent in euro 2016 final and bad in 2004 final. Not debatable at all.
Messi has been awful in all of them. Barely hit the target in any. Strolled around and looked like a lost puppy. He topped it off with one of the worst finals performances from a truly great player with the one we've just seen.

Pep's Suit

And obviously Ronaldo fanboys didn't dissapoint. Come one guys, he doesn't even know you exist so no reason to defend him so blindly. :lol: