Lionel Messi

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Everyone should just use ignore option or report button, hopefully some moderators are still doing their work and will thread ban @Bebestation because he is bringing nothing good to this thread.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
dribbles vs celta vigo & betis what an easy career this guy has had 300 days per 365 days
:lol:
It’s why I say the goal vs getafe is one of the most overrated of all time.

one of the weakest teams. Maradona at least did it vs England
How are you 58 years old. This obsession is weird.

Rojow

I saw the Barcelona game yesterday. My god. He created so many chances. How can they leave Suárez for free to a direct rival and not replace him. Braithwaite is useless as Barca's defense.

Son

According to ESPN, Messi will renew for 2 years and they will try to sign Neymar(not going to happen). And then apparently Messi will go to the MLS.
As much as I believe Messi is the finest player ever getting older now so injuries will no doubt come into play.

As for Neymar. He hasn’t stayed fit a full season in his career so god knows why they think £150 million for him is a good idea as great as he is when fully fit. Again it’s getting less and less.

I wouldn’t put anything past the idiots running Barcelona though. Worst run club arguably in the world past 5 years & that is saying something because they had to beat us for that title

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
nah mate.

la liga is all he has played all his life.

the same tactics. The same technique. The guys at 33 can’t win the league anymore whilst Barcelona continue to have better team than Real Madrid andAtheletico Madrid.

I just love it. Karma. Everybody loves Ronaldo for failing at Juventus but everyone rides Messi for continuing to fail season after season at the only league he has only ever played in. Bloody 5-6 years younger that Ronaldo. Ronaldo was winning CL’s with an average tactical coach like zidane at the same age when Messi is losing to celta vigo.

Hopefully he is depressed and he leaves and leaves for a good competitive league and let’s see what happens if he has a VDB like season :lol:
You need help. Seriously

Rojow

Neymar already renewed with PSG. That ship it's gone.

Barcelona really needed the Super League for the money. They're in deep shit now, the team can't compete for more than 45 minutes, what is what happened in La Liga. They had good games the first 45 minutes, bur the last 45 minutes were always terrible.

Need new defence and a good 9.

Raredaredevil

nah mate.

la liga is all he has played all his life.

the same tactics. The same technique. The guys at 33 can’t win the league anymore whilst Barcelona continue to have better team than Real Madrid andAtheletico Madrid.

I just love it. Karma. Everybody loves Ronaldo for failing at Juventus but everyone rides Messi for continuing to fail season after season at the only league he has only ever played in. Bloody 5-6 years younger that Ronaldo. Ronaldo was winning CL’s with an average tactical coach like zidane at the same age when Messi is losing to celta vigo.

Hopefully he is depressed and he leaves and leaves for a good competitive league and let’s see what happens if he has a VDB like season :lol:
Are you depressed? :lol: The thought of Messi standing in Ronaldo's way to being the current GOAT player must really hurt you.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Yeah, i think its now between Lewa/Messi/De Bruyne/Mbappe. Individually, Messi has been by far the best this year, with 21 MOTM performances and an average rating of around 8.7. Closest one has like 10 MOTM performances.

So if things stay like this for the rest of the year, individual feats such as those ones may give Messi the edge, as there isnt really any clear winner this year on achievements and trophies.

Messi really needs a couple of great performances in Copa America though, dont think he can get away with another "just good" performance in a tourney with Argentina.
I think it may go to Lewandowksi due to the Bundelsiga record.

Hoof the ball

Ok, so, despite being around 8 points behind Atletico before January, Messi goes on a ridiculous run and as of 29th April (vs. Granada) a win would put them top.

They lose 2-1 to Granada, Messi scoring the only goal. Barca conceding 2 goals from 2 shots on target.
They beat Valencia 3-2, Messi scoring 2 goals. Barca concede 2 goals from 4 shots on target.
They draw 0-0 with Atletico. Barca concede 0 from 6 shots on target.
They draw 3-3 with Levante. Messi scores the 1st, and plays the key pass leading directly to two other assists. Barca concede 3 goals from 6 shots on target.
They lose 2-1 to Celta Vigo. Messi scores the only goal. Barca concedes 2 goals from 4 shots on target.

In summary.

Messi scores 5 in 6 games. Two of those games he scores the winning goal.
Meanwhile, the Barca defence conceded 9 goal from 22 shots on target in that period! Atletico game aside, that's 50% of shots on target hitting the net.

If not for absolute piss poor defending, Messi would have scored the winning goal in 4 of those 6 games.

If we can draw anything from this, it's that Messi's levels didn't drop at the crunch moment.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
I saw the Barcelona game yesterday. My god. He created so many chances. How can they leave Suárez for free to a direct rival and not replace him. Braithwaite is useless as Barca's defense.
They kicked Suárez cause he was being useless in CL knockout matches for a couple of years, and btw Suárez didn't do anything relevant in CL playing for Atlético either.
He is past his peak, and is not a top scorer for CL anymore.

But i believe he is still useful for La Liga

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think it may go to Lewandowksi due to the Bundelsiga record.
Plus the fact that they owe him one last year, voters may sympathize with that and prefer Lewandowski in the back of their mind, if it’s tight call between him and Messi this year.

Fridge chutney

What a sterling career Messi has had. Indisputably the best of his generation.

I hope he moves on from Barca to win a few more things before retiring to Argentina or the MLS.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

I hope he moves on from Barca to win a few more things before retiring to Argentina or the MLS.
Please stay on topic, this is Messi thread. It's impossible to avoid Ronaldo's name here, we don't need more names now.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

It's going to be interesting to see how he reacts at the end of the game with eibar on Saturday... if he does intend to leave that will be his last game with barca and therefore probably some gesture / emotion at the end.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Is Bebestation 58 years old? I hope his children and grandchildren are Messi fans.
He would probably disown them. Heck in his mind, all Messi fans or even neutrals who prefer Messi are his sworn enemies, you can even feel it reading his posts

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
unfortunately no. The reason I regard Ronaldo as the best I have ever seen is because he left Manchester United rather than played for Manchester United. He then also left Real Madrid. 3 top leagues .

anyway I have to go now due to quality control etc :) .
I think that boat has long since sailed!

Hoof the ball

So......

Messi in Copa America, then?

Two MOTM's out of four.

Scored only goal in draw versus Chile.

Assisted only goal in win against Uruguay.

Two goals and assist in 4-1 against Bolivia.

Bang on his Barça form in this competition. Argentina are still Argentina and always capable of fecking things up, especially against Brasil.

MattofManchester

So, any chance he leaves Barca?

For his own good, he should leave. Barca has felt like a burden on him for the last few years.
On the other hand, his loyalty to them may be too great.

Eddy_JukeZ

If he continues these performances and beats Brazil in the Copa Final at the Maracana

What a boost for his NT legacy

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If he continues these performances and beats Brazil in the Copa Final at the Maracana

That’s a big if sadly as Brazil will still be the favourite especially on home soil

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is having a good tournament so far. Hope he beats Brazil and finally won Copa. He deserves winning something for his country.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Wasn't impressed with Argentina today. The scoreline flatters them. For much of the second half it was all Ecuador. I suppose in a one off match anything can happen but Brazil definitely favourites

Womp

idiot
We've been spoilt being able to witness both him and Ronaldo in the same generation of players. We've had incredible players before, but to have two in the same generation who have broken just about every club and individual record there is to break and to do it so consistently for so long, has been incredible.

Hopefully he can keep this up and bring home the Copa America, think his career deserves it. Will be hard though, for all the talent Argentina have, they are horribly unorganised and there is no collective at times.

Eddy_JukeZ

Wasn't impressed with Argentina today. The scoreline flatters them. For much of the second half it was all Ecuador. I suppose in a one off match anything can happen but Brazil definitely favourites
They're a much worse team than Brazil, but you never know in a 1 off

DaGOAT

He is having a good tournament so far. Hope he beats Brazil and finally won Copa. He deserves winning something for his country.
Good?

He has has had 8 out of Argentina’s 10 goals either by scoring or assisting.

He is having a GREAT tournament so far.
Also just his overall play (besides goals and assists) has been impressive.

Anyway, Brazil will still win. Their team is better than Argentina. Despite how great he has been, Messi can only do so much.

DaGOAT

Updated list after tonight’s match:

748 goals

314 assists

35 trophies

57 freekicks

54 hattricks

50 league goals in a season

73 goals all competitions in a season

91 goals in a year

30 or more club goals in last 13 seasons

8 Pichichi

6 European Golden Shoe

6 Ballon d'Or

6 FIFA Best Player

1 World Cup Golden Ball

2 UEFA Best Player

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Updated list after tonight’s match:

748 goals

314 assists

35 trophies

57 freekicks

54 hattricks

50 league goals in a season

73 goals all competitions in a season

91 goals in a year

30 or more club goals in last 13 seasons

8 Pichichi

6 European Golden Shoe

6 Ballon d'Or

6 FIFA Best Player

1 World Cup Golden Ball

2 UEFA Best Player
as great as those achievements are it feels like a disservice to reduce Messi to just stats. He's just the ultimate football magician:drool:

Bole Top

excellent tournament so far with 4 goals and 4 assists, though it most likely wouldn't mean much in the end. if they go past Colombia, Brazil will beat them with ease, like they do every time. in Copa or in qualifying game Argentina haven't beat them since 2005 so it would be pretty special if they managed to lift the trophy now, right at Maracana.

Last edited:

Idxomer

I don't think I've seen a player who improved his free-kicks so much as he's gotten older.

Best player in the world at 34, amazing.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Is he still on jobseekers?

Im a little surprised that nobody is trying to sign him
You can be sure that his fathers mobile is 24/7 active, but Messi wants to stay at barca for his last 2 competitive football years and they are working out together a contract, so barca doesnt risk a penalty from Laliga.