Lionel Messi

Red00012

his 3rd "Pichichi" in row and also the biggest difference between the first and second - ever. unless Mbappe scores 4 in his last game, he'll win the Golden Shoe as well.
Great achievement by Cazorla to be 3rd for assists.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF

his 3rd "Pichichi" in row and also the biggest difference between the first and second - ever. unless Mbappe scores 4 in his last game, he'll win the Golden Shoe as well.

This only makes me hate Liverpool even more. Messi was on fire this 2019, like in 2015 and 10-13. Hope the Spurs win it no matter how.

Mshafeek

Surpassed Ronaldo's tally of competitive club goals . Has 602 goals from 686, Ronaldo 601 from 804. Surely deserves a mention here.

Renegade

Surpassed Ronaldo's tally of competitive club goals . Has 602 goals from 686, Ronaldo 601 from 804. Surely deserves a mention here.
But I thought Ronaldo was the better goal scorer and Messi the better passer?

Culero

People somehow miss age gap, Messi is two years younger so in terms of longevity at the highest level he will last longer I reckon (competitively that is).

Tostao_80

People somehow miss age gap, Messi is two years younger so in terms of longevity at the highest level he will last longer I reckon (competitively that is).
Josef Bican is the most prolific goalscorer of all time with 805. Leo has a shot of catching him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

:lol: He's an absolute freak. If only he had a little support from his team we wouldn't have Liverpool in the CL final. Argh.

Luke1995

Not his best finish to a season but he produced some great performances in La Liga and in some champions league matches that will be remembered.

He still has the Copa America to play and will be looking forward to winning something with Argentina.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
His Golden Shoe + Liga title + Free Kick vs the scouse already give him many points to win the next Ballon d'Or. Unless Salah does something sensational in the UCL final, I can see Messi winning his 6th Ballon d'Or, especially if he does something remarkable in the Copa América (wins it? One can dream) and/or keeps scoring goals in autumn 2019.

Luke1995

Can anyone shed a light on the Argentina's people current perception of Messi ?

It is my understanding that in recent years they have learned to appreciate him instead of putting all the blame on him, but does he gets loved like Maradona these days ?

IFC 1905

Can anyone shed a light on the Argentina's people current perception of Messi ?

It is my understanding that in recent years they have learned to appreciate him instead of putting all the blame on him, but does he gets loved like Maradona these days ?

People don't blame Messi that much, because we understand we have no coach atm and the team has no play, we understand Messi can't do it all. Colombia puts Wilmar Barrios and other guy covering Messi and that's it, you killed Argentina. We have no system.

Journalists here of course go after him bc that kind of rants give them rating, but the most reasonable ones admit that Scaloni is killing both Messi and Aguero. People tend to kill Aguero more than Messi, but anyone who saw yestardays game will see that Aguero is a victim of this system, there's no way for him to fight vs Mina or Sanchez physically in these long balls thrown at him by otamendi.

Luke1995

People don't blame Messi that much, because we understand we have no coach atm and the team has no play, we understand Messi can't do it all. Colombia puts Wilmar Barrios and other guy covering Messi and that's it, you killed Argentina. We have no system.

Journalists here of course go after him bc that kind of rants give them rating, but the most reasonable ones admit that Scaloni is killing both Messi and Aguero. People tend to kill Aguero more than Messi, but anyone who saw yestardays game will see that Aguero is a victim of this system, there's no way for him to fight vs Mina or Sanchez physically in these long balls thrown at him by otamendi.
That's reasonable. Until 2010 or 2011 Messi always got criticized more than the rest. That team definitely needs to build a setup that enables other players to impact the games, otherwise Messi will keep having these problems.

Jib

He needs world players around him to perform at his best. A fraud. I tought Pogba was the only one that needed that to perform :p

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He needs world players around him to perform at his best. A fraud. I tought Pogba was the only one that needed that to perform :p
To be fair, any players who’s game is more base on build up play, and running on pitch which cover less miles, needs good player around him to perform.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
My biggest gripe is how lazy he is. I would be fuming if I was his teammate. Contributes nothing defensively.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Did I say any different?
Made it sound like Messi was wrong to blame the referee with how you worded it

At the end of the day though, despite the horrible officiating, Brazil were more clinical

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Made it sound like Messi was wrong to blame the referee with how you worded it

At the end of the day though, despite the horrible officiating, Brazil were more clinical
No, my point was it was a sign of frustration. Players don't usually go and blame referees unless they're very frustrated.

OrangeRed

To be honest I see Ronaldo lasting longer at the highest level due to Ronaldo's exceptional physical fitness & determination.

Cait Sith

We all know his team is shat but the other South American teams aren't exactly coached by world class coaches either or are filled with world class players. Over the years he had so many opportunities to shine above all that (are they holding the Copa America yearly now?), despite unfavourable circumstances and he never did. Closest was WC 14 group stages and that's that. Shame.

Bole Top

I know we've been saying this for a while, but he really, really has to start taking care of himself better. he simply can't play every game in every competition any more as he always looks like a corpse in these summer tournaments. even Ronaldo in that age, who's much better athlete than Messi ever was, was rotated and rested from time to time or was simply out of the league cup or title race with Madrid. I believe those days are over for Messi; he simply can't sustain his general level deep in every competition at this age. depending on draw, I think he should play only final games of cup, about 30 league games and obviously every CL game.

InfiniteBoredom

I know we've been saying this for a while, but he really, really has to start taking care of himself better. he simply can't play every game in every competition any more as he always looks like a corpse in these summer tournaments. even Ronaldo in that age, who's much better athlete than Messi ever was, was rotated and rested from time to time or was simply out of the league cup or title race with Madrid. I believe those days are over for Messi; he simply can't sustain his general level deep in every competition at this age. depending on draw, I think he should play only final games of cup, about 30 league games and obviously every CL game.
Well the thing is Argentina most likely won’t make it through qualifiers/group stages without him.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
TBH I think it's incredible that's he has had yet another season where's he's la liga and CL topscorer at 32. Just look at how much Sanchez and Rooney had declined before they hit 30. And Messi is not really known for his athletism.

Bole Top

TBH I think it's incredible that's he has had yet another season where's he's la liga and CL topscorer at 32. Just look at how much Sanchez and Rooney had declined before they hit 30. And Messi is not really known for his athletism.
make no mistake, Messi physically declined as well, it's just that people are mixing that for not giving a feck about Argentina and not giving his best on the field. he can preserve what he has left in the tank a bit longer if he start taking care about his body. I mean, Cristiano played 6 cup games for both Juve and Madrid combined since 2014. while Messi plays about 6 or 7 during the single season. he broke his arm and still rushed to play almost every league game possible (34 this season and 36 in season before), while Cristiano didn't even play 30 games in his last two season at Madrid. for someone so intelligent on the field, he is rather naive if he thinks he can keep that tempo in coming years. even Ronaldo can't and he's possibly the most athletic player I've ever seen.

Culero

To be honest I see Ronaldo lasting longer at the highest level due to Ronaldo's exceptional physical fitness & determination.
Could very well be right, its a question of adaptation, tactically Barcelona already sacrifice defensive shape and solidity by letting Messi not press so he can play more. I suppose if he ends up being subbed more to maintain himself he can extend his career, will be interesting to see.

Eddy_JukeZ

My biggest gripe is how lazy he is. I would be fuming if I was his teammate. Contributes nothing defensively.
His conditioning is woeful.

His lack of position for Barcelona nowadays has been part of their CL failures lately. He vacates the right, Rakitic/Vidal cover for him and then they're outnumbered in midfield. Suarez as well doesn't run much either nowadays, so you've 2 players who are passengers during defensive phases. Suicidal.

I think he should see another nutritionist or something. After the 2014 WC, he changed his diet and came back on fire that club season. He should do the same now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think next summer will be his last shot at glory for Argentina especially with them co-hosting. Don't see him making Qatar, certainly don't see him playing the qualifiers anyway at 34 and if he dosen't Argentina will badly struggle unless they get a good coach in.