Lionel Messi

MrEleson

I think if George Best had played in the SAF years, he would have won at least 3 ballon'dors of course imagining that he gave up booze and partying and actually played to his full potential.
Or maybe he never would have made it in this era. Though talented, his mentality would have hindered him severely as the game has become only for those who are nothing but consummate professionals..particularly at the highest level.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Or maybe he never would have made it in this era. Though talented, his mentality would have hindered him severely as the game has become only for those who are nothing but consummate professionals..particularly at the highest level.
There is where I'd hoped that SAF could have sat him right. He did an impeccable job on Giggs, Beckham, Cantona and Ronaldo. But of course maybe if Mat busby couldn't get Best to be consumate professional maybe nobody could. But the professional standards back then were just way way lower than they are now. Best if he spent an evening shagging models and boozin before a game would immdiately been fined or released these days.

Personally I think Best had a strong mentality in handling stress and giving his best on the pitch. I think with his good looks at the atmosphere of the late sixties and early seventess, he just really wanted to have a lot of fun and shag models. I think it became more important to him than being the best man utd player of all time..

KeanoMagicHat

Best didn't become a partier immediately, and said he only got into the drink from trying to hook up with women. He was a shy lad when he was younger, the lack of professionalism came later when he lost motivation for the game. Best would have made it in this era, he is more like Ronaldinho in that he had no interest in maintaining his high levels like Messi and Ronaldo.

Paddy1983

Supports
Barcelona
Imagine what it must be like for a Barca fan to have followed Messi through his Career. They've had players like Laudrup, Stoichov, Romario, Maradonna, Cruyff, Luiz Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Iniesta and Xavi, but Messi has just been on fire for over decade. They've never had anything like him. No club has really. Ronaldo with Madrid comes close, but he didn't come up from the youth academy. If I was a Barca fan and Messi obliged to an autograpth i'd suck his cock on the spot.
im not gay but i have said the same myself. I started following barca fanatically when my friend told me about him after his debut. I have watched 95% of their games since. I just love watching messi.

Barca were great before best club team ever with xavi and iniesta and messi, but every person who loves soccer should watch barca. We might not see the likes again in our lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draconifire

Supports
FC Barcelona
Imagine what it must be like for a Barca fan to have followed Messi through his Career. They've had players like Laudrup, Stoichov, Romario, Maradonna, Cruyff, Luiz Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Iniesta and Xavi, but Messi has just been on fire for over decade. They've never had anything like him. No club has really. Ronaldo with Madrid comes close, but he didn't come up from the youth academy. If I was a Barca fan and Messi obliged to an autograpth i'd suck his cock on the spot.
If Messi somehow appears in front of me, gives me a gun and say "Here shoot yourself". I would happily do that. No questions asked.
Would even right a fecking testimony for him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If Messi somehow appears in front of me, gives me a gun and say "Here shoot yourself". I would happily do that. No questions asked.
Would even right a fecking testimony for him.
That's slightly strange.

There should be a comma after here.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Suicide and blow jobs, only hardcore Messi loyalists .....

zkap

Supports
Barça
Ban for a joke because it's in poor taste? Seriously? And the joke is at his own expense at that.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

SteveW

:nervous:

Moving swiftly onwards....

What a player this lad is. A footballing alien. We may never see another as good in our lifetimes

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Liverpool winning the double is the only thing stopping him from winning Ballon d'Or already, right? But even if they win, he'll still stay top scorer both in La Liga and CL. Salah has just 4 goals so far.

I thought that he might be actually slowing down after last year, but he looks to be playing one of his best seasons of his career, while having probably the weakest team around him in years. Only Suarez has decent argument in the league, second scorer for Barca in CL is Coutinho who is 7 goals behind Messi.

Just saw that Suarez doesn't have single goal in 8 games in CL this season, what the feck?

Let's hope he toys with Liverpool.

VBI

Supports
Celtic, Barca
10 League titles in 15 seasons. And that first season he spent half the season with the B team!

wr8_utd

:'(
Liverpool winning the double is the only thing stopping him from winning Ballon d'Or already, right? But even if they win, he'll still stay top scorer both in La Liga and CL. Salah has just 4 goals so far.

I thought that he might be actually slowing down after last year, but he looks to be playing one of his best seasons of his career, while having probably the weakest team around him in years. Only Suarez has decent argument in the league, second scorer for Barca in CL is Coutinho who is 7 goals behind Messi.

Just saw that Suarez doesn't have single goal in 8 games in CL this season, what the feck?

Let's hope he toys with Liverpool.
Said this in some other thread as well but there's simply no way Messi doesn't win Ballandor this season. He's so far and ahead of everyone else it's not even close.
Ronaldo, despite not actually having better individual seasons than Messi, would win because of the CL title. This year he's got no CL and he's not even top scorer in Italy. This Messi doesn't even have an embarrassing early CL exit AND he's almost certainly going to end top scorer in the competition so even if he does go out to Liverpool, I find it hard to see anyway that someone else wins Ballandor. Sterling/Salah/Mane might even win doubles but both their stats and their performances aren't even close to Leo.

Also as for the others in this team, yeah pretty much no one else scores. Suarez has no CL goals this year and no away goal in 4 years. Messi has scored 10 of their 23 (?) CL goals despite missing around 2-3 games through injury. If Barcelona are to go through vs Liverpool, the other attackers desperately need to contribute in some way

Coutinho and Dembele have around 3 goals each while others are spread out between defenders and Rakitic and Rafinha and own goals. Suarez and Dembele/Cou really need to step up.

Last edited:

Cait Sith

The Suarez statistic is stupid. He pretty much scored the away goal against United, even if it counted as an own goal because it was slightly deflected and he also helped create the first home goal with his diagonal movement. Without it Messi doesn't have a clear path on goal at all. He actually did the same against Chelsea last year and created 2 goals (one for Dembélé if I remember correctly).

Statistics are sometimes stupid, Suarez contributes a lot, league or CL.

He had statistics like that hanging over his head even in his prime at Liverpool when people brought up that he doesn't score against the top teams. What makes Suarez great is that he can contribute in many other ways, in difficult games also as a creator.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
8 league titles in the last 11 years. 5th Cup in a row lined up.

They are utterly dominant domestically.

Tostao_80

The Suarez statistic is stupid. He pretty much scored the away goal against United, even if it counted as an own goal because it was slightly deflected and he also helped create the first home goal with his diagonal movement. Without it Messi doesn't have a clear path on goal at all. He actually did the same against Chelsea last year and created 2 goals (one for Dembélé if I remember correctly).

Statistics are sometimes stupid, Suarez contributes a lot, league or CL.

He had statistics like that hanging over his head even in his prime at Liverpool when people brought up that he doesn't score against the top teams. What makes Suarez great is that he can contribute in many other ways, in difficult games also as a creator.
Suarez has ONE CL goal and 6 assists in 18 games. That is atrocious form. Go back a further season and he has FOUR in 27 games (9 assists). He simply hasn't been good enough in the CL in the last 3 seasons. As a top team in the CL, you need your centre forward firing on all cylinders. Lewa and even Karim keep on scoring (Karim has scored as many CL goals this season as Luis in the last 3).
Messi in attack is the sole reason theyve even gotten so far the last 3 seasons. But regarding Leo, does anyone think he'll catch Giggs and his 13 domestic league titles? Needs 3 more.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
The Suarez statistic is stupid. He pretty much scored the away goal against United, even if it counted as an own goal because it was slightly deflected and he also helped create the first home goal with his diagonal movement.
He's still a brilliant player but he's significantly declined from his peak, because at his peak he did all that work and scored many goals as well, now he pretty much works as a Messi's water-carrier. He showed glimpses of his true class against Madrid when Messi wasn't playing though.

MalcolmTucker

Suarez has been in better form this second half of the season. He's very unselfish now and always looks for Messi. He blows hot and cold but his workrate, movement and unselfishness makes him the perfect foil for Messi so even if he isn't scoring so much he is still useful.

Cait Sith

Suarez has ONE CL goal and 6 assists in 18 games. That is atrocious form. Go back a further season and he has FOUR in 27 games (9 assists). He simply hasn't been good enough in the CL in the last 3 seasons. As a top team in the CL, you need your centre forward firing on all cylinders. Lewa and even Karim keep on scoring (Karim has scored as many CL goals this season as Luis in the last 3).
Messi in attack is the sole reason theyve even gotten so far the last 3 seasons. But regarding Leo, does anyone think he'll catch Giggs and his 13 domestic league titles? Needs 3 more.
Lewandowski has 2 knockout goals in the last 2 CL seasons and both were against Besiktas who aren't even Europa League level.

Benzema scored 2 (!) knockout goals in 3 of Real's last 4 CL wins.

Tostao_80

Lewandowski has 2 knockout goals in the last 2 CL seasons and both were against Besiktas who aren't even Europa League level.

Benzema scored 2 (!) knockout goals in 3 of Real's last 4 CL wins.
Luis Suarez' CL record is not a patch on Benzemas. Karim is just the fourth player to hit 60 CL career goals. He has scored 14 goals in his last 30 appearances (including 4 in knockout games and a goal in last years final. In the same period, Suarez has just 4 CL goals.
Lewa in his last 3 seasons in the CL, has 21 goals in 28 games, again, much better than Luis paltry 4 goals.
Suarez has gone a massive SEVENTEEN CL away games without scoring, that's over 24 hours of football.
That is simply atrocious for a top 4 striker in the world. He needs to do better.

Jacob

Feels like Benzema has had the most stable career ever. How long has he been with RM and how freaking old is he?

Luke1995

How long could Messi carry on if he wanted ?

I seriously believe he could go on to 42/43. Retire in 2029/2030.

SteveW

How long could Messi carry on if he wanted ?

I seriously believe he could go on to 42/43. Retire in 2029/2030.
Sitting in the Pirlo/Scholes role and spraying the ball around while still probably scoring 25 a season :lol:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He hardly runs and clearly is in physical decline I will be surprised if he carries on beyond 35.