Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I just don’t get the point to spending so much money on him when we are in dire need of investment everywhere else. Was he REALLY worth benching Varane vs not having to play McFred/Dalot/Rashford? Absolutely bizarre, especially when his cost wasn’t much less than Antony would have been, who we could clearly do with far more.

I was told at the time that he was a great signing and he won’t impact our other summer transfer business, which in fairness makes sense if there is no other summer transfer business.

AdNani

He struggled with Welbeck today and should have conceded a pen too. He should be playing in DM role for me as he has the passing ability for it and defensive discipline to do it.

He's not even quick either so not only is he on the small side he's not even fast and we have Harry Maguire as his partner.
Right, it's his first game in a new league. Pretty sure he'll be fine.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Right, it's his first game in a new league. Pretty sure he'll be fine.
I'm not calling for him to be dropped though??? He's actually a good footballer who can actually play DM as he has done already in his career.

I just don't think he's cut out for the CB role in a top league. In the DM role he could be good. Want to see it tried and quick.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Are people only saying it was a pen because Carragher said so? Never a pen. Decent start for the lad individually.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I just don’t get the point to spending so much money on him when we are in dire need of investment everywhere else. Was he REALLY worth benching Varane vs not having to play McFred/Dalot/Rashford? Absolutely bizarre, especially when his cost wasn’t much less than Antony would have been, who we could clearly do with far more.

I was told at the time that he was a great signing and he won’t impact our other summer transfer business, which in fairness makes sense if there is no other summer transfer business.
Exactly. It remains to be seen what we do in the remainder of the window but a CB should never have been a priority over the likes of a DM, RB or RW. Particularly a short, not quick CB for the PL who very few here would have targeted.

If by the end of the window he's a bonus on top of covering the other positions then great but at their expense it will be a mistake. Hope I'm wrong.

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Move him up to the CDM position, buy Pau Torres to play next to Varane and go all in or forget about FDJ.

------------------ DDG

.Dumfries - Varane - Torres - Malacia

............Martinez - FDJ

...................Eriksen

...Sancho-------------------Rashford

------------------Martial

Go the ffs for once all in and try to give the new manager players and options on every position. Dumfreis, Torres and FDJ would cost somewhere around 140m probably, sell Jones and one of Maguire (i believe Newcastle would pay 35-40m for him, and if they are up for it, make it happen inctenttly.

If this is the squad we are going with this season, we will fight for place around 10-8 - we are right now miles after Chelsea, Liverpool, Tottenham, Man City and even probably Arsenal. We are not much better then West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle. This is so frustrating, we changed everybody in back office, got a new manager + a new staff and spent 60m on a player that had a good season in Eredivisie where he was playing for the dominating team that had like 70% possession every game and had probably nothing to do in 30 out of 34 games. Im not saying he is not a good CB, but its hard to make much out his performances in Ajax compared to him now being thrown in the best league in the world where he will be facing players like Haaland, Mahrez, Foden, KDB, Nunez, Salah, Diaz, Sterling, Son, Kane (i could probably name another 20-30 players that are all better then any of the players he was defending against the last 2 seasons). Playing him in the CDM position will also give him time to get used to the tempo in PL and being so exposed as he will be in the CB position while we dont have anyone in the midfield helping our defense. If we keep play like this, we will destroy him like we have with many players by throwing them in to the heat imminently with the expectations that comes with us overpaying and hyping up them because of the fee and because we hope that someone will come in and sort out everything. We put to much weight on these players shoulders while we have dysfunctional team and almost every player is underperforming because we have right now nothing that works properly in the team - not the players, nor the system we play, you could see today that almost all players in our offense were just running around without any idea what to do when they got the ball or where to run when they didn't have the ball.

I remember when we brought in Evra and Vidic, Evras first game against City made him look like it would be his first and last game for United, but SAF knew what to do, lower the expectations on him by not playing the next games and giving him minutes in game when (if) he made a mistake, it would't be devastating. You have to let some players build up the self confidence - like Sancho, it took him like 6 months last year before he had one good game and good his first assist or goal.

I just believe that we are destroying many players this way. Overpay, hype them up like they are the Messiah sent to us from up above to save the team and putting to much pressure on them. If we had 10 players that where playing at least decent and understood the system of our new managers tactics then maybe putting in one new player would be ok and he would do fine, but today it looked like we had 11 new players and that nobody knew what to do or where to move without the ball and that is why nothing worked.

So my point is, now that everything is new, the board, the manager, his staff, the system of how we want to play - we can buy 3-4 more players and let them start play together and learn how to play with each other. Throw in Dumfries, Torres, FDJ and in a dream world also a RW and a new ST and give them time (this season) and hopefully next season we won't need to buy many new players and we will have a team that knows the system and each other. Then we can keep adding and selling only 1-2 players every summer like City or Liverpool are doing right now or we should lower our expectations and except that we are not better then this...

AdNani

I'm not calling for him to be dropped though??? He's actually a good footballer who can actually play DM as he has done already in his career.

I just don't think he's cut out for the CB role in a top league. In the DM role he could be good. Want to see it tried and quick.
your calling for him to be dropped from his actual position, which he and his manager prefers, after one game in the league.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
:boring::boring:

he's actually dealt with a lot of big physical strikers just fine, but for some reason people have it in their heads that the PL is so much bigger and stronger than anywhere else.
Pretty much, I'm sure there'll be some shortcomings that will be attributed to his height but every center back will have lapses of judgment.

If he manages to regularly give us 8/10 performances he'll be a very fine acquisition .

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He was alright. Definitely had a few suspect moments but the technical ability is there to be seen.

His composure, passing and technical ability will be important for us going forward.

That is unless the rot that has set in within the club engulfs him too and he becomes shite in every way imaginable.

Chief123

If he plays CB all season we won't finish top 6. I know it's been said a million times and become a bit of a meme but he's just not big enough. Ivan Toney and Darwin Nunez are going to ruin him.
His height wasn’t an issue today.

Last edited:

BlueHaze

He is in the midget height zone for CB but 50m spent on him was a hella lot better spent than 80m on Harry.... At least with Lissandro I saw great technical ability albeit a few bad moments.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
your calling for him to be dropped from his actual position, which he and his manager prefers, after one game in the league.
I didn't think he was suitable before a ball was kicked either. He's small and not that quick. Not something we really wanted to see at CB was it? But as he's a new signing I suppose we have to be ultra positive and ignore the obvious, right?

Next week at Brentford I'd drop Mcfred and Bruno and play Martinez, Donny and Eriksen in middle.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That’s a wildly optimistic summary of a pretty shit individual performance. You could see glimpses of quality there and he might well go on to be a good player for us. He was pish today though. Spent most of the match being bullied by one of the worst strikers he’ll play against this season.
I'm sure that this Martin Keown-esque hot take will age just as well as your Nunez being ten times the player of Haaland one after the Charity Shield.

DevTheRed

Started well with the ball as others have said but it did drop as the game went on. Probably just nerves but he’ll be fine.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hardly any preseason minutes, was’t quite ready

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
wtf I meant to say his height WASN’T the issue today so we disagree.
He lost a number of diagonal balls into our box. Go watch the highlights if you can stomach it.

His height and lack of pace don't bode well at all. I actually think he could be the answer to our prayers for the DM role though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm sure that this Martin Keown-esque hot take will age just as well as your Nunez being ten times the player of Haaland one after the Charity Shield.
You seem to be struggling with the concept of judging a performance in an individual match with forming a lifetime assessment of a player’s quality. Good players can have rubbish games.

V.O.

You seem to be struggling with the concept of judging a performance in an individual match with forming a lifetime assessment of a player’s quality. Good players can have rubbish games.
Fair enough, but it's still an awful take. Martinez handled everything he needed to do well enough (apart from the time he dithered on the ball and got his yellow). Despite Jamie Carragher jumping around the commentary box, the 'penalty' isn't one as they're (correctly) not giving fouls for people throwing themselves over after soft contact in the back this year - as evidenced by the shove on Fred in the first half and what we've seen in the refereeing in the other games so far.

Martinez was our least shit player not called Eriksen.

MUFC OK

The penalty scare aside I thought he performed quite well. A couple of times he was last line of defence and tidied up quite nicely. It’s a joke in my opinion that Varane is now a bench player though.

GMoore23

Never should've started today. Hasn't been with us long enough and with how important the CB position is, he should've been eased in.

V.O.

They don't call him the Butcher for nothing.
Typical that we sign him right after Cavani spends two years looking around Manchester for South American meat. Joke of a club.

The United

Doesn’t look like the quickest player around. If you’re going to have a midget at the back, you’d at least hope he’s very quick and nimble. All the more so when he’s paired with the human fridge in Maguire.
Yup, it is weird. Just to get some passing improvement from the back, we gave up a lot more of defending qualities - most important as CB. Even if he becomes very good with all his limitations, it would not be good enough for a top team. I am just not a fan of slow and small CBs for EPL. Even Pep can't do here what he did with Barca's backline - playing smaller/slower players.

This could become one of ETH's bizarre decisions later on.

Last edited:

The United

They endlessly lumped it up to Martinez to lose a header, which is not ideal but whatever, but they always surrounded him to just pick up the knockdown and our surrounding players just stood and watched. Every time. They had so much time and space to pick up every second ball it was annoying and painfully obvious.
That's how most teams will play against us. Imagine if they succeed with it while we try to play high lines. And, we don't have a super DM who is also good in the air. You hope ETH's system of ball possession becomes more effective quickly.

Last edited:

Adamsk7

at first I thought he had a bad game off the ball whilst being very good on it, however now that I think about it, we just give our defence zero protection. I don’t think if our back line had the four best in the world for that position that we wouldn’t concede this goals.

The way McT and Fred lose the ball in midfield and are then completely behind the play is actually criminal

Mmm-Qatarian

I didn't think Martinez was bad in comparison to most of the team but I think a lot of you are overplaying how good he was, or underplaying his deficiencies, today because he's a new signing.

For the first goal, as fashionable as it is to blame Maguire because he was about a hair's width behind Martinez, Martinez is the one who failed to adequately track Welbeck's run and subsequently stop the cross. (Ironically, I would attribute a lot more of the blame to Maguire for the second goal which doesn't seem to be talked about)

There is also the fact that he could quite easily have given away a penalty (frankly I think we were very lucky it wasn't given) because he struggled to deal with Welbeck's physical presence.

Again, I didn't think he was terrible. He was good on the ball and demonstrated his intelligent positional sense and awareness on a number of occasions. I'm also not suggesting that, just because there were errors from Martinez, he should immediately be benched. This is a new centre back pairing playing behind a woeful midfield and in front of perhaps the least proactive keeper in the league. (Not to mention the full-backs!) With that said, I don't think there's any need to overstate his performance; it was fine but there were some ropey moments in there too and it's not wrong to point that out.

Marwood

Let's see how he goes but for him to really elevate us whilst lacking the physical attributes top CB's normally have is going to take some sort of genius.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fair enough, but it's still an awful take. Martinez handled everything he needed to do well enough (apart from the time he dithered on the ball and got his yellow). Despite Jamie Carragher jumping around the commentary box, the 'penalty' isn't one as they're (correctly) not giving fouls for people throwing themselves over after soft contact in the back this year - as evidenced by the shove on Fred in the first half and what we've seen in the refereeing in the other games so far.

Martinez was our least shit player not called Eriksen.
He was pretty bad. Maguire was shit too but the pair of them made Welbeck look like peak Didier Drogba. As I said, Martinez gave glimpses of looking like a ‘baller. Some nice touches and composed moments but in terms of actual defending (which is, you know, his job) he did almost nothing to impress and made way too many mistakes.

marktan

As I said before we signed him, the lack of a DM would expose him the same as it's exposed all our other CBs. Varane, a starting CB for world cup winning France and CL winning Real, came last season and was suddenly repeatedly exposed.

You could have Van Djik in this team but without Fabinho he'd be exposed often too. All in all we spunked 50m on yet another CB because our squad building doesn't go beyond 'let the manager do what he wants'.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
"Meant to be our deepest player"

No, thats the goalkeeper. The CBs are supposed to have awareness and work as a team and to use the tools they have including offside. Dont speak on subjects you are clearly ignorant about
:lol: :lol: :lol: Holy feck...I forgot the everyone here is so frickin literal. I'm sorry...allow me to edit that statement to "our deepest defender". I thought that was obvious. Gotta love TheCaf

lsd

The Oracle
Still unsure how the ref didn't give a penalty for his challenge and he would and should have been red carded as well for it.

Still Vidic and Evra didn't fly of the blocks so here's hoping he learns from this game

Status
Not open for further replies.