Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delano

I think the mistake today, was playing him from the start. You could tell that him and Maguire weren't used to each other at the start of the game and he grew into it. Unfortunately, that indecision cost us.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Your average Premier League striker is taller and more physically strong than the rest of Europe.
Do you actually have stats for that or is this just one of these "Premier league is biggest, fastest , fittest, strongest" statements that some people love.

Abraxas

The hating on Martinez already is shocking. I thought he looked comfortable on the ball. He tried passing to the midfield in the first half but when they lost it immediately.
The 2 CBs were not the problem today. Dalot was a disaster and McFred never offers protection.
Jumping on the penalty challenge that wasnt given is just looking for reasons to give the guy a hard time.
There was many Utd players far worse than him today but yet all I see is "shocking debut"
I don't think it is "hating on Martinez." It's calling a spade a spade to analyse a performance. There isn't a way to dress that up as a good defensive performance, and yes - barging people over in the box asks the ref a question we don't want to be doing too often. That's not going out of the way to find something to criticise, it was a clear as day mistake.

As long as it's kept in perspective, it's his debut at OT, the team didn't play well, he did some good things on the ball, then I don't see the problem. Sancho became a protected species last season because he was a new player - that's the other danger with analysing new signings.

kundalini

Absolutely terrible performance. Very fortunate not to concede a penalty in the 2nd half. Hopeless first half. Almost comical the way he got booked at the end of the first half, having had possession of the ball. Welbeck treated the Martinez/Maguire partnership as a joke, could do whatever he wanted.

Being so short is a big enough issue for the team that Martinez simply cannot afford to be so poor at every other aspect of the game. He was a massive liability, as was his CB partner.

Skills

Snitch
He was poor on the ball as well. I don't know what you guys were watching.

He played a couple of hospital passes, and let the ball roll under his foot once.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I have stated multiple times we will see him as DM by October. I will change that to second half of September, because he's better on the ball and worse off the ball and at actual defending 1on1 to what I expected.

I also believe no money thrown at CBs will solve our problems without having some structure and decent quality midfield - the weakest link. For this reason I didn't get very excited when he joined.

Was a bad decision to start him though, what happened to Lindelof?

redcorner

Everybod should remember how bad EVRA Was on his Debut!!!:houllier:

and see how he turned out!

alexanderplatz

I thought Martinez played fairly well. His passing was good and I felt his play made Maguire at least try to be a bit more ambitious in his passing. Grew into the game and def needs some work. Would certainly be interested in seeing him in midfield in the future. Don’t understand the negativity esp when he was one of the only ones trying to rise to the challenge instead of shrinking away like others

Mmm-Qatarian

Honestly though, we can have the debate about "Was Martinez better or worse than Maguire today" until the cows come home, the reality is that neither of them were causing the bulk of our problems today.

United NEED to stop trying to fix every defensive problem we have by signing new centre backs and start actually attempting to sort out the root of the problem, which is a midfield incapable of controlling a game or effectively protecting the defence and a keeper who is not proactive in the slightest.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
you people have a real DM fetish :lol: He's not going to play as DM, maybe when everybody else is injured.

IhabX7

If you disagree with a single word of that post you’re a fecking idiot. So I’m guessing you disagree with most of it…
You never had a clue about football. Stick to something you understand better.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They endlessly lumped it up to Martinez to lose a header, which is not ideal but whatever, but they always surrounded him to just pick up the knockdown and our surrounding players just stood and watched. Every time. They had so much time and space to pick up every second ball it was annoying and painfully obvious.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
He's a baller, our midfield is as shit as they come.

Blood Mage

He didn't produce a brilliant performance by any means but he was the least of our problems today. Probably the only player apart from Eriksen who looked comfortable on the ball throughout.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Doesn’t look like the quickest player around. If you’re going to have a midget at the back, you’d at least hope he’s very quick and nimble. All the more so when he’s paired with the human fridge in Maguire.

Bobski

Some good, plenty of bad.

Fantastic composure and ability to play out of pressure with the ball, very aggressive and combative, will win a lot of duels, great attitude and in a dominant team he will be a superb ball winning CB keeping attacks going but he needs to adapt to the pace and physicality of the PL.

Welbeck gave him, and Maguire, a bit of a chasing for the first hour, held up the ball superbly and then spun behind to great effect. A high line with 2 players in Maguire and Lisandro who both lack top end recovery speed is going to cause issues. Should have given away a pen for the barge on Welbeck, another one in the long list of dubious VAR nonsense.

Still, first game, like a lot of what I saw.

Bobski

He looked ok.

But what was more worrying was you can see we are going to have a number of problems playing a high line with Maguire and Martinez as a pair.

Welbeck looked like prime Thierry Henry against them. There’s plenty more pacey forwards they are going to come up against.

Having FDJ as CDM won’t really help the problem. That aspect of the game was worrying. Brighton could have got more on the break.
Which was always the main issue during his transfer thread before the oh so tedious height joke circus began. Small, can be worked around, slow can be worked around, small and slow is a problem.

Water Melon

That barge on Welbeck was a penalty. ETH will be roasted on a grill if Lisandro does not improve fast.

criticalanalysis

Which was always the main issue during his transfer thread before the oh so tedious height joke circus began. Small, can be worked around, slow can be worked around, small and slow is a problem.
To be fair both aren't really that slow. Welbeck's movement created more of an issue than his pace did. They just didn't anticipate as well, which if we are being generous can forgive for lack of playing time together.

Having a keeper rooted to his line meaning if defender's play a high line, they need to cover 30-50 yards instead of 20-35 makes a big difference too.

Bobski

To be fair both aren't really that slow. Welbeck's movement created more of an issue than his pace did. They just didn't anticipate as well, which if we are being generous can forgive for lack of playing time together.

Having a keeper rooted to his line meaning if defender's play a high line, they need to cover 30-50 yards instead of 20-35 makes a big difference too.
That is very true, there were a few times today when Brighton just lifted the ball down the channel on a diagonal and Welbeck was just running away from Lisandro/Maguire, maybe a more aggressive sweeper keeper deals with a few of those.

Maguire is slow on the turn and to get going but probably has decent top speed when he gets going, but it takes so long to get there that he is effectively slow. Lisandro is quick and agile in the short distances and in reacting to breaking balls but over distance he lacks top speed. Not a good combination in a high line for the PL to me but we will see, need to get full backs more switched on to help and the midfield spaces can not be as stretched as they were today.

Welbeck put on an exceptional CF display today, unselfish running, hold up and linking, playing for the team. Superb stuff, put another 15-20 games of that together and he might go to the World Cup.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Doesn’t look like the quickest player around. If you’re going to have a midget at the back, you’d at least hope he’s very quick and nimble. All the more so when he’s paired with the human fridge in Maguire.
Fair to remember he's played about 45 minutes in pre season and barely trained 2 weeks? He did pretty well considering he must be lacking sharpness.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he plays CB all season we won't finish top 6. I know it's been said a million times and become a bit of a meme but he's just not big enough. Ivan Toney and Darwin Nunez are going to ruin him.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If he plays CB all season we won't finish top 6. I know it's been said a million times and become a bit of a meme but he's just not big enough. Ivan Toney and Darwin Nunez are going to ruin him.
He actually dealt with Nunez just fine last season.

AdNani

:boring::boring:
He actually dealt with Nunez just fine last season.
he's actually dealt with a lot of big physical strikers just fine, but for some reason people have it in their heads that the PL is so much bigger and stronger than anywhere else.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I've made a few jokes about his height but I don't think that was an issue at all today.

He was mostly fine other than losing the ball in midfield once (through over confidence) and nearly conceding a pen whilst on a yellow.

New league and new team mates. Give him a month or two before really judging.

Amarsdd

If Varane can get fit, I'd like to see him tried in the pure DM role.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
:boring::boring:

he's actually dealt with a lot of big physical strikers just fine, but for some reason people have it in their heads that the PL is so much bigger and stronger than anywhere else.
He struggled with Welbeck today and should have conceded a pen too. He should be playing in DM role for me as he has the passing ability for it and defensive discipline to do it.

He's not even quick either so not only is he on the small side he's not even fast and we have Harry Maguire as his partner.

saik

I think the mistake today, was playing him from the start. You could tell that him and Maguire weren't used to each other at the start of the game and he grew into it. Unfortunately, that indecision cost us.
Reckon it was a forced decision? Lindelof was not on the bench as well. Was he injured? I was pretty sure he would start this game.

Teja

He doesn't really inspire confidence at the back but he dealt with a couple of tricky situations okay when we threw everyone forward in the second half.

Passing / control was really good on several occasions but it does feel like he needs some time to get used to the league.

jesperjaap

He was poor. Over enthusiastic and nervous. But its his first game, who remembers Vidic Evra debuts in far better sides.

I thought he grew as the game went on. He is the one player I am excited about this summer. The positive side was he wanted to do things on the ball, he tried to organise the defense and shout at people and he wants to get stuck in.

Poor start, but I see a player there which bar Bailly I havent seen in a defensive signing for us in soem time....yeah maybe that isnt a good comparison as he has been poor.

city-puma

He was poor on the ball as well. I don't know what you guys were watching.

He played a couple of hospital passes, and let the ball roll under his foot once.
What he shows today suggests he is still a bit short of match fitness. But he also shows,
1. Very good acceleration
2. Low gravity but also very strong to deal with press
3. Very calm and very good ball control with bags of tricks under pressure to connect with goalkeeper and the other players
4. Very good anticipation
5. Good passing range
He seems an upgrade on Lindeloff.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
What he shows today suggests he is still a bit short of match fitness. But he also shows,
1. Very good acceleration
2. Low gravity but also very strong to deal with press
3. Very calm and very good ball control with bags of tricks under pressure to connect with goalkeeper and the other players
4. Very good anticipation
5. Good passing range
He seems an upgrade on Lindeloff.
That’s a wildly optimistic summary of a pretty shit individual performance. You could see glimpses of quality there and he might well go on to be a good player for us. He was pish today though. Spent most of the match being bullied by one of the worst strikers he’ll play against this season.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That’s a wildly optimistic summary of a pretty shit individual performance. You could see glimpses of quality there and he might well go on to be a good player for us. He was pish today though. Against one of the worst strikers he’ll play against this season.
You say that but he'll be facing our strikers in training week in and week out.

Irwin99

Stam, Vidic, Evra all had far worse starts in my opinion. His height doesn't concern me at all, i'm more worried by him and Maguire having a lack of recovery pace when strikers get in behind.

How he didn't concede a penalty is pretty strange. Got away with one there :nervous:

NewYorkRed

Really poor debut. But its just that; one game. Hopefully he’ll get better in the coming weeks/months.

Status
Not open for further replies.