Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not against Premier League quality centre forwards.

It's pretty obvious he has quality on the ball but the coaches and players are too good in this league not to expose his physical weaknesses.
How about against Champions league quality CFs?

Kaos

That stonewall penalty brainfart aside, I thought he was decent. Maguire looked better alongside him too.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Sorry, but this guy is not going to make it in PL. Not just for us, for any PL team. He will be targeted and destroyed.

Waste of money, and for a position we didn't really need players. One of the worst transfers ever for us.
Trainwreck of a post.

zenith

He really should play as a DM, perfect for that role.

Him, eriksen and Fred in a midfield 3 makes a lot of sense in my head

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I think I was watching a different game. Wellbeck had no joy with him.
Is it the commentator opinion we are relaying here or what actually saw with our own eyes.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
That stonewall penalty brainfart aside, I thought he was decent. Maguire looked better alongside him too.
It was only a stonewall penalty on Planet Carragher. They've already established that chucking yourself over after a nudge in the back isn't a foul this season.

Fred had to crawl on all fours to recover the ball in the first half after being shoved down and no foul was given.

Red-17

Did you see the first goal?

Runner down his channel - plays him onside, marks nobody, cuts off no passing options, doesn't fill in on Martinez's side while he has to follow the runner, stands there like a fecking traffic cone.
Maguire literally already marking a man who is also a threat is not the one at fault for that goal. Needs to be better communication between both of them to pick up the runner, yeah, but you’re description of what happened is just not factual. Maguire was protecting against the cut back on the cross.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Well, considering we need players badly in other positions, and we gave away 50 million for a DC that it is obvious he is not PL material, yes, I think it was one of the worst transfers ever. I hope I am wrong. Do you think he will make it at PL? Not for us, any PL team?
Yeah you don’t deserve a response. Sorry.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
So he was, but also because Maguire had sagged behind and played him onside. So it goes both ways. That said I think he could have done a bit better on the ball coming across, it was him covering the right side and so would have to use his right foot to block it so perhaps not his most comfortable situation but if we're looking at him to be a top CB then yeah you can question letting that ball come across. Something our other CBs have allowed too easily at times as well
The problem was that it shouldn't have been Maguire "playing him onside". It should have been Martinez as he should have dropped as soon as Welbeck made the run across him. But because he reacted late Welbeck ended up in a very dangerous area. But like I said in my initial post, I will take this as a learning point for Martinez and move on...

Teja

He has some strengths but not being able to deal with a direct ball to Gross is concerning

The United

Just curious. Who are these tall strikers that he is going to struggle against? Most teams play a 4-3-3 or variation of it and if they have a big #9 Maguire can pick him up. Where he will struggle for his lack of height is on set plays when big defenders come forward, not during regular game play...
I said top strikers. Not TALL strikers. His issue is not just the height (if it is his issue), but a lack of strength due to his size, which might add up. Wellbeck targeted him today, and Maguire can't go around picking up moving strikers who will have a game plan to target Martinez. And, if you think Maguire HAS to pick up a stronger or taller striker, then we have the issue I am talking about in the first place.

Gandalf

Not an auspicious start but way to soon to judge, definitely has nice ability on the ball and would probably look a whole lot better paired with Varane. I am reassured by how woeful Vidic and Evra looked on debut, he can easily step up once he gets used to the PL.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Learned quickly from his mistakes in the first half. Seems to have a good mentality as well. I think he'll be fine.

Probably could have just slotted him into the DM position for the moment to be honest.

He'll be fine I think.

Ekeke

The problem was that it shouldn't have been Maguire "playing him onside". It should have been Martinez as he should have dropped as soon as Welbeck made the run across him. But because he reacted late Welbeck ended up in a very dangerous area. But like I said in my initial post, I will take this as a learning point for Martinez and move on...
Why would you need to do that if you can play him offside? Its Maguire who got caught square and took himself out of getting back with his body positioning stopping dead. Thats on him at that point

RuudtheRed

He is an actual ball playing centerback. Leagues above Maguire and Lindelof in terms of passing the ball when he needs to. He doesn't have that habit of holding on to it needlessly which is great.

Hard to tell how his actual defending is based on that 1 game. Can't really fault him for either goal and I think a lot of our problems today stemmed from McFred and Dalot being unable to control a ball or pass it properly.

Reactions: Cheimoon

MagooDad

He’s great on the ball. Not convinced he’s great off it. Which is fine if we control possession and play in the opponent’s half - but not so much if you play the way we do.
So we bought Lindelöf again...

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Why would you need to do that if you can play him offside? Its Maguire who got caught square and took himself out of getting back with his body positioning stopping dead. Thats on him at that point
@SadlerMUFC is to Maguire as @Amadaeus is to Poch. Just don't bother.

The United

Yes he played against both Nunez and Halaand just fine
I don't think he will be rubbish in general. But about the examples above, does he play against them regularly? One or two off performances means nothing.

I am sure we can surely bring up some rubbish defenders from Spanish league when they kept the like of Messi and Ronaldo at their peaks quiet in some games to prove that kind of point.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It’s on Dalot for not closing the angle and pressuring the ball. Watch it again - what in the name of feck is he doing?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Might have been handy to do that in pre-season, really.

frostbite

Yeah you don’t deserve a response. Sorry.
Again, I hope you are right. (And obviously I mean you are right in believing that it is 50 million well spent, that will improve our defence.)

Superunknown

He's a new signing and it will take time. He's got that on his side compared to other players in the squad, who have already been given chance after chance. I'm sure he will work out well for us. The players in front of him are the ones who need sorting out.

Ekeke

It’s on Dalot for not closing the angle and pressuring the ball. Watch it again - what in the name of feck is he doing?
Its on lots of players including the winger and DMs not coming back to help Shaw when the ball goes across, but Maguire sits himself stopping his movement dead in the exact spot that just about plays Welbeck onside. By doing that he has no chance of then getting back to running and helping Lisandro and all of the game is behind him.Theres no excuse for his part in the goal either.

He would get away with it if he was half a yard forward and playing Welbeck offside. He must have thought he was doing that. He got it wrong

Long Time Red

Just curious. Who are these tall strikers that he is going to struggle against? Most teams play a 4-3-3 or variation of it and if they have a big #9 Maguire can pick him up. Where he will struggle for his lack of height is on set plays when big defenders come forward, not during regular game play...
Maguire isn't going to man mark the number 9 is he? They will all drift to our left side so they are up against Martinez.

Off the top of my head Michael Antonio, Callum Wilson, Chris Wood, Mateta, Toney, Mitrovic, Haaland, Nunez, Watkins, Kane, Bamford, Raul Jimenez, Calvert-Lewin are all over 6ft and physically strong.

They will absolutely dominate him in the air.

Mmm-Qatarian

It's his first match so I'm happy to cut him some slack but he genuinely did look like he was struggling with the physicality of Welbeck today.

He had some good moments, both defensively and on the ball, but equally looked quite shaky at times and was lucky not to have conceded a penalty.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I said top strikers. Not TALL strikers. His issue is not just the height (if it is his issue), but a lack of strength due to his size, which might add up. Wellbeck targeted him today, and Maguire can't go around picking up moving strikers who will have a game plan to target Martinez. And, if you think Maguire HAS to pick up a stronger or taller striker, then we have the issue I am talking about in the first place.
Ok...so who are the tall strikers that are going to give him problems because of their height?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire isn't going to man mark the number 9 is he? They will all drift to our left side so they are up against Martinez.

Off the top of my head Michael Antonio, Callum Wilson, Chris Wood, Mateta, Toney, Mitrovic, Haaland, Nunez, Watkins, Kane, Bamford, Raul Jimenez, Calvert-Lewin are all over 6ft and physically strong.

When they drift wide how is height an advantage?

The United

The suggestion that certain defender should mark a nine in itself tells you that we have an abnormal issue.

MagooDad

He and Maguire were good. Central defenders is not an issue. Varane and Lindelöf would have been good as well.

We concede due to our central midfield and DDG being a goalsline keeper.

The United

Shocking debut. Almost Evra bad. You can see the potential but he had a horrible time of it. Only positive is he somehow got away with an absolutely nailed on penalty. My head would be exploding if VAR denied United a penalty in the same situation.
Yeah, I am surprised not many talked about it. Wellbeck had a better game on him in general, I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.