Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

zaafi

I am convinced he's never going to the "top" defender we always craved for. I think his mentality is pretty good, but beyond that his technique is okayish and physique is grossly inadequate for the PL..
Wtf :lol::lol: Have you seen him play the rest of our matches? fecking hell, how do you even come up with this shit after one game? :houllier:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That’s the not definition of “nailed on to start our most difficult games”, is it? Best team in the country came to town and the manager chose to go without him, despite him playing the previous three. We deservedly won that day.

I don’t see how it is particularly controversial to have a discussion about us looking just as good without him in the side this season. I think he’s a good player. I’m just not sure what difference he has made to us defensively.
One would need to be blind to not see that there is a works of difference when Varane & Martinez play together.

Leaving yesterdays freakshow to one side

Edwards6

I am convinced he's never going to the "top" defender we always craved for. I think his mentality is pretty good, but beyond that his technique is okayish and physique is grossly inadequate for the PL..
So you're just going to ignore the rest of the season and judge him off 1 game where the whole team was shit, there's no point blaming individuals for yesterday it was everyone

Rossa

So you're just going to ignore the rest of the season and judge him off 1 game where the whole team was shit, there's no point blaming individuals for yesterday it was everyone
Yes, this is the Caf - ignore the rest of the season and judge everything on one bad performance. It's ridiculous. Martinez is brilliant, but he had a very bad half of football. He was actually very good in the first half.

RuudTom83

Yay! it took a further 35 games for Martinez to have a bad game but Carragher has now been proved 100% correct. The top pundits in the country can now celebrate, congratulations to them for waiting so long.

rk4utd

Good grief! Slagging off a standout performer all season for 1 half of football when the rest of the team downed tools ahead of him…. I guess that’s the modern football supporter for you! Have a long lie down and ‘Get a grip’….

BerryBerryShrew

He was the best defender in world football prior to kick off yesterday and he's still the best defender in the world today.

If he gives 8 or 9 out of 10 performances for his next 34 matches and then a 3/4 out of 10 in the next match after those, I'll happily take that too!

IFC 1905

Yeah, I even forgot how shit he was against Liverpool at home. And how shit he was at first half yesterday.

Loon

:lol:
Yay! it took a further 35 games for Martinez to have a bad game but Carragher has now been proved 100% correct. The top pundits in the country can now celebrate, congratulations to them for waiting so long.

Didn't "Greatest CB in history" play in that 7-2 against Villa? It's banter, he's having his moment. Nice after everyone laughing at him watching Madrid.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Didn't "Greatest CB in history" play in that 7-2 against Villa? It's banter, he's having his moment. Nice after everyone laughing at him watching Madrid.
He’s too emotionally involved to be taken seriously as a pundit, it’s quite remarkable really. Gary saved his career post retiring from playing.

Lost bear

Yup. Sensational block to keep out Nunez at one point.
His overall standard of play this season has been massively impressive. Him and Varane have transformed our defence. This match was an aberration, awful though it was. Utd succeed and (occasionally) fail as a team.

Loon

:lol:
He’s too emotionally involved to be taken seriously as a pundit, it’s quite remarkable really. Gary saved his career post retiring from playing.
And Sky saved his career after spitting.

Marwood

Said it a million times but it doesn't matter how good CB's are if the team in front of them tanks. Only so much they can do.

C'est Moi Cantona

Clearly somebody else must be using the Carragher family brain cell today.

Irwin99

I mean, it was an unfortunate slip against Salah for the goal, getting skinned by Antonio against West Ham looked far worse to my mind. He had a good first half and then was bad like everyone else in the second.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Is this what Caragher's life is all about now? His Twitter profile is literally bragging about hanging out with Gary Neville, does he have any family or friends, or even a dog?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Varane-Martinez only played together in 5 of our last 25 wins.
Ok, then let me put it in a different way. A blind man could tell you that individually; Varane and Martínez are levels beyond what Maguire and Lindelof are. It’s a chasm of difference

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Our central defence was woefully exposed yesterday. Not as bad goals wise but it reminds me of when R9 rocked up OT. Nothing our CBs could do that day.

Skills

Snitch
It's a funny one, loved by United fans but I don't think he's rated highly at all outside of this club and fanbase. Old man Otamendi and Romero were the comfortable first choices for Argentina.

It's why I'm struggling to fully buy into him - United fans over the last 10 years have shown themselves to be generally terrible judges of footballers and managers. The consensus opinion within the fanbase is usually proven to be more or less wrong.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's a funny one, loved by United fans but I don't think he's rated highly at all outside of this club and fanbase. Old man Otamendi and Romero were the comfortable first choices for Argentina.

It's why I'm struggling to fully buy into him - United fans over the last 10 years have shown themselves to be generally terrible judges of footballers and managers. The consensus opinion within the fanbase is usually proven to be more or less wrong.
Otamendi and Romero started because they were the pairing all through the qualifiers and the Copa America. Martinez literally just turned 25, he's young for a CB. Scaloni is very loyal to his guys (and they were doing well).

I think if you just watched him play you would see that he's blatantly an excellent center back. Everyone who has watched him this season thinks the same. Ajax and Eredivisie fans thought he was brilliant last season too. What more do you want?

In Rainbows

What kind of post is this?

He's not rated outside the club and fanbase? Who cares? They don't watch United every match like we do. They think height matters, and hate United. In other words, they have incentive to never give him credit because they don't want to lose an argument about height, and because he's a United player, a club they hate.

Last edited:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I’m gonna focus on the positive as so many are doing the opposite and chatting loads of crap to be honest. That block in the first half on Nunez is one of the best I’ve seen in a long time. He’s behind the man, nowhere near favourite and doesn’t make the first contact. Somehow he’s done enough to block it over the bar and from that range it’s a certain goal if he doesn’t. Unbelievable block.

Not even entertaining this talk of him having a low bottom level or not being good enough. I’ll assume that was being said in the heat of the moment or by clueless people because there’s no other explanation.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Are you doing your best to make yourself look a tit in every thread on the forum or what?

Kostov

When you lose 7:0, it's never about individuals. It's a team feck up, so no point chasing witches in one of our best players.

Real Name

You're a man on a mission. :lol:

Dannn411

I fully discount anything that happened with him on Sunday. There were far worse players and he is still arguably our best signing in a long time.

Really really feel we are missing a trick not trying him in midfield. I understand he is more needed in defence right now but he would fit like a glove with his passing and toughness.

Real Name

He's usually a good pundit but every once in a while he turns to this. Plus he spits in the face of little girls.

Cant wait for them to be spanked by Madrid again.

redcucumber

Are you doing your best to make yourself look a tit in every thread on the forum or what?
You're a man on a mission. :lol:
Glad other people are noticing it too. Seems like a right negative little fecker. Understandable that people are feeling low after the result, but I've seen him question people's loyalty to ten Hag, imply Antony is championship level and now this. No doubt there's more elsewhere.

Chief123

He’s gone from arguably the best defender in the league this season to not being suitable for the Premier league again. :lol:

Real Name

Glad other people are noticing it too. Seems like a right negative little fecker. Understandable that people are feeling low after the result, but I've seen him question people's loyalty to ten Hag, imply Antony is championship level and now this. No doubt there's more elsewhere.
Right after the game he created a thread poll - Would Real Madrid manager survive this, then created a thread about supposedly beating by a rival not meaning something to the fans who are calm and zen about it. Mental.

IFC 1905

Sometimes it's hard to believe people here. The lack of football knowlegdge for the basic things is alarming. Or maybe they're just trolling.

Revan

Assumptionman
He is really good, and his passing is fantastic. At the same time, I wouldn't say that he is world class, let alone best in the league (or world) that some people think. Actually, I think that Varane is far far better (who was also equally shit vs Liverpool).

Chief123

I don’t see how it is particularly controversial to have a discussion about us looking just as good without him in the side this season. I think he’s a good player. I’m just not sure what difference he has made to us defensively.
If you can’t see what difference he has made, discussing football is probably a waste of time.

Revan

Assumptionman
Otamendi and Romero started because they were the pairing all through the qualifiers and the Copa America. Martinez literally just turned 25, he's young for a CB. Scaloni is very loyal to his guys (and they were doing well).

I think if you just watched him play you would see that he's blatantly an excellent center back. Everyone who has watched him this season thinks the same. Ajax and Eredivisie fans thought he was brilliant last season too. What more do you want?
While Romero is, hmm 24.

To be fair, I think both are roughly in the same level, very good CBs, but below best CBs in the league like Van Dijk, Varane, Silva, Saliba.

Status
Not open for further replies.