Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Massively disappointed in him today, along with Casemiro. Was really optimistic that at least we had enough fight in our squad by now for games like this to stop happening, but evidently not and the rebuild continues. At least Casemiro has the excuse of (possibly) carrying a knock.

Still love him though. I'm sure whatever auld fella Betis have up front these days is going to get a fecking kicking midweek.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Worst game since Brentford away.
But probably excused as everyone was poor today.

Ekeke

Salah beat him twisting and turning for the 2nd Gakpo goal. Nobody was tracking his run. Konate missed a header after getting away from him on a corner.

Other than that and overplaying once to avoid giving away a throw and losing the ball, I thought he was fine and easily our best defender.

Actually in that counter against us Shaw is with Salah. Then he doesnt bother to track him so Lisandro comes across to try and deal with him. Then Shaw doesnt bother to track the Gakpo run inside either. So yeah Salah beat him but the main issue there was Shaw

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s quite something to have undergone the batterings he has and still be viewed entirely positively as a new centre back. We’ve conceded more goals after 25 games this season than we did last season.

Blood Mage

His bottom level is fecking low isn't it? I do worry that people are overhyping him.

Ekeke

It’s quite something to have undergone the batterings he has and still be viewed entirely positively as a new centre back. We’ve conceded more goals after 25 games this season than we did last season.
Would be twice as many without him. He's held off more of these scorelines

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If that statement is true, you must think ETH is doing a terrible job and all the other defenders and midfielders are horrific.

jem

So you don't think he's been good this season?

Dannn411

Worst performance since Brentford but he was hung out to dry repeatedly today by Fred, Casemiro and Shaw. He was constantly on an island against much quicker players so many times with no United player anywhere near. Still in my mind the best player in this team after Rashford.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I didn’t even think he was that bad today. Oddly

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
All action but once he's in a one v one outside the box his limitations are exposed, which is fair enough but Antonio and Salah have skinned him.

Now, every defender gets done but he needs to just back of and buy time.

He has good technique on the ball and is a solid defender.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
So you don't think he's been good this season?
It’s a weird one. I’m pretty sure he’s been good, but I’ve also been in the camp that he’s been a little overrated, and I think Casemiro and ETH have made a much bigger, more tangible difference. I’m not sure how much different our season would have been without him.

I’m just struggling to interpret why many of our other and previous CBs have been so maligned, yet Martinez and Varane get all their bad games excused away.

Shimo

Our fan base is honestly diabolical
This is the unfortunate part of such a large fan base, you can find reason in most but, then you will absolutely get those few that are so so very desperate to be "right" on the internet, that they will come out soon as there is a moment to grab on to - even though they have the most asinine opinions to share.

Yes very poor game from him but, being found out is such a stupid thought when there is a slew of games to say otherwise. And when you think about how that early tackle and little nudge against Salah in the home game set the tone for that game and kick started what has not only been a very good season so far for the team but, also to his own season to being one of the best defenders in the league - trying to be "right" about him being not good enough is Souness levels of desperation.

Cassidy

It’s a weird one. I’m pretty sure he’s been good, but I’ve also been in the camp that he’s been a little overrated, and I think Casemiro and ETH have made a much bigger, more tangible difference. I’m not sure how much different our season would have been without him.

I’m just struggling to interpret why many of our other and previous CBs have been so maligned, yet Martinez and Varane get all their bad games excused away.
Hes not overrated

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Hes not overrated
I’ve seen people talk about him as arguably the best CB in the league, and mentioned him in positive comparisons with Vidic and Ferdinand. Our defensive record makes such talk lamentable.

A-man

Martinez has conceded 1.7 goals per 90 minutes this season which is not really amazing tbh. That equals 65 goals in a full season. I doubt we would concede 130 goals without him.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Today isn't the day to pick players and criticize. Every one of them was diabolical. I don't think there is one player who deserves a 4 out of 10 today.

Ekeke

If that statement is true, you must think ETH is doing a terrible job and all the other defenders and midfielders are horrific.
I think he inherited a poor defence and midfield defensively. Lisandro and Casemiro have been great improvements on that. But I thought we needed 3 out of our 4 CBs and DMs improved. We got 2, not 3 in the summer.

So does it surprise me that we're still too easy to play against and that 2 players didnt do the job? No. But until this result I wasnt how much more we needed. It had started to feel like we might get by with just those 2.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

I agree. I like him for what he brings on the ball, but I don't think of our defence as solid. It's a bit chaotic and last ditch at times (which is more eye catching).

Ekeke

I’ve seen people talk about him as arguably the best CB in the league, and mentioned him in positive comparisons with Vidic and Ferdinand. Our defensive record makes such talk lamentable.
While it is too early for that, not even 1 season finished, Ferdinand and Vidic were playing with much better players. They had each other. They had a better midfield protecting them. And so on

If you just transplanted Ferdinand or Vidic into the team alone they wouldnt be playing how you remember them among better players. Vidic especially used to have much worse performances than Lisandro Vs. Salah today when he would play against Torres. And again thats among better players... Likewise if you put Lisandro next to Ferinand or Vidic in that previous team he'd have an easier time. So yeah.

Pocho

He was excellent in the first half, then the team fell off a Cliff. Funny how some haters were quiet and appear today. Shame on them.

Strats

Was decent in the first half. Lost it in the second half just like everyone else.

Not our worst player on the pitch today.

Edwards6

Don't know why people are blaming Martinez, the whole team was shit today.
He's been one of our best players all season one performance doesn't change that

Cassidy

He quite obviously is one of the best CBs in the league. Defensive records are team related

Ekeke

I didn’t even think he was that bad today. Oddly
He wasnt. First half especially he came to our aid a couple of times to stop likely goalscoring chances.

2nd half he was mostly not involved in where the opponents attacked and scored from other than Salah going past him and playing the ball into Gakpo to finish and lost 1 header to a liverpool CB on a defensive corner. Thats it.

Of course Rio and Vidic would never make 2 mistakes in a single match :nervous:

The most important part is its just 1 match. If it was happening regularly like all our other CBs have done before this season then thats an issue. Thats why we signed a new CB

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

You’re such a strange poster. So full of odd notions. Martinez has been objectively excellent this season. That’s why he’s rated highly. Mad that you would “struggle to interpret” this. Use your fecking eyes.

In other news, Shaw has also been very good this season. And was considerably worse than Martinez today. Football, eh?

avgp_1

Horrible today. Him and Casemiro were a disgrace.
How? He was the best in the first half, had that goal saving tackle on Nunez alongwith his passing being as good as usual

I remember just one bad moment against Salah when he slipped and maybe that tackle on Gakpo. How is that a disgrace?

Status
Not open for further replies.