Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
We still conceded, so I’m not sure how I got completely mudded here. When did I ever lament Martinez’s ability on the ball or his press resistance?
I think it was calling Lindelof and Maguire on the same level (or better) which did you if I’m honest.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think it was calling Lindelof and Maguire on the same level (or better) which did you if I’m honest.
If you want to give Martinez all his flowers now, be my guest.

He’s still got a lot to do to prove himself as world class and one of best centre backs in the league, which is where this conversation started several tiring days ago.

TheReligion

Abusive
If you want to give Martinez all his flowers now, be my guest. He’s still got a lot to do to prove himself as world class and one of best centre backs in the league, which is where this conversation started several tiring days ago.
I mean you’re moving the goalposts aren’t you now?

You said he’s not the level of Maguire and Lindelof. Now you’re suggesting you were actually saying he’s not Paulo Maldini level yet.

You fecked up. Take it on the chin and move on :lol:

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I mean you’re moving the goalposts aren’t you now?

You said he’s not the level of Maguire and Lindelof. Now you’re suggesting you were actually saying he’s not Paulo Maldini level yet.

You fecked up. Take it on the chin and move on :lol:
I didn’t say that at all. We’re going round in circles here. I said, “I’m struggling to see on what basis Martinez can be categorically considered a “better” PL CB than Maguire or Lindelöf thus far.”

Martinez has made 20 PL starts and has conceded 34 goals in those games. He’s only kept 6 clean sheets. We’ve meanwhile conceded 1 goal and kept 4 clean sheets in the five PL games he hasn’t played. Both the other two CBs were the partnership in a a United side that was much defensively better a few seasons ago than our team is currently.

Maybe Martinez will go on to be a legendary centre back on the level of Vidic and Rio in the years to come, but he won’t be the first defender people got far too excited about far too quickly. Go check out early opinions of Bailly on here, for example.

lex talionis

What a man. I wouldn't care if he were only 4 foot 10. If you can play football like that, you're on track to becoming a United legend.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’m struggling to see on what basis Martinez can be categorically considered a “better” PL CB than Maguire or Lindelöf thus far. He’s simply done nothing to prove that, but that’s not to say he necessarily won’t over time. He’s clearly a good fit for ETH’s style of football, so I can see why the manager wanted him so much, but I don’t feel as if we are a better side defensively for his presence at this point.

Last season was simply a product of horrendous incompetence under Rangnick, where everyone’s confidence was at rock bottom. Familiarity has therefore bred contempt with some of players who have been here a while.

I think people forget that we were a very decent side under Ole in 19/20 and 20/21, even defensively so. We went on a massive undefeated streak away from home. We’ve already conceded 35 goals this season, yet only did 36 in total in 19/20. Maguire and Lindelöf were quite highly regarded at that time and were the partnership in defence that was better than the one we have now.
:lol: gosh

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
That moment where De Gea slides it into him with two opponents within about 5 yards and he got out of it perfectly and set us on our way...that is exactly why the consequences of the 7-0 don't apply to this guy.

He's probably the best footballer in the squad.

Chief123

If you want to give Martinez all his flowers now, be my guest.

He’s still got a lot to do to prove himself as world class and one of best centre backs in the league, which is where this conversation started several tiring days ago.
To be fair you’ve had an absolute mare in this thread mate. Saying Martinez is no better than Lindelof and Maguire is something to go down in folklore.

Chief123

It seems like we desperately need him to not underperform. We rely too much on him in my opinion
It’s fine we’ve got Maguire and Lindelof who are better than him. Probably a blessing if Martinez is not playing.

TheReligion

Abusive
I didn’t say that at all. We’re going round in circles here. I said, “I’m struggling to see on what basis Martinez can be categorically considered a “better” PL CB than Maguire or Lindelöf thus far.”
I mean don’t double down on it. Just accept it was a stupid comment and let’s move on from you getting rinsed by the entire forum!

Sgreddevil

Thank you. This was very good as well.
I was referring to the one which he was just outside our penalty box and last man as well. 3 Betis players went in together to him from all angels. He still managed to squeezed out calmly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I said, “I’m struggling to see on what basis Martinez can be categorically considered a “better” PL CB than Maguire or Lindelöf thus far.”
If you are struggling then maybe football is not the game for you, with all due respect.

RedOrange

Far from it. It was a question
Comparing the defensive stats of Maguire and Martinez (or Varane for that matter) is a bit fraught. Since the world cup, Maguire has started 5 matches: Bournemouth, Charlton, Reading, Leeds and West Ham. Before the world cup he started against Brighton, Brentford, Real Sociedad, West Ham and Aston Villa. If the team has better stats with Maguire its likely because he does it against relegation fodder and lower league clubs.

I know you're just asking a question but TMDaines should pick some other argument for his galaxy brain "Martinez <= Maguire" take.

Real Name

Martinez has made 20 PL starts and has conceded 34 goals in those games. He’s only kept 6 clean sheets. We’ve meanwhile conceded 1 goal and kept 4 clean sheets in the five PL games he hasn’t played. Both the other two CBs were the partnership in a a United side that was much defensively better a few seasons ago than our team is currently.

Maybe Martinez will go on to be a legendary centre back on the level of Vidic and Rio in the years to come, but he won’t be the first defender people got far too excited about far too quickly. Go check out early opinions of Bailly on here, for example.
You're fast going Yagami's way on Casemiro at this rate.

What does potential Xg say about the matter?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We still conceded, so I’m not sure how I got completely mudded here. When did I ever lament Martinez’s ability on the ball or his press resistance?
We've conceded less goals with Phil Jones playing than any other CB this season. Maybe he should start?

Robbie Boy

Bring back the glory days of Ole and Maguire :drool:

Those 19/20 and 20/21 season reviews are all I watch these days. What. Amazing. Seasons.

Rossa

If you just use your eyes, you will see that he is by far the better centre back than both Maguire and Lindelof. He is more aggressive, yet has more composure than both. He's much quicker than both. He's stronger in physical duels than Lindelof, and not much weaker than Maguire due to how aggressive he is.

He is far, far better on the ball than either of them. Keeping clean sheets is never just down the the defenders or the goalies. The fact that when he plays we tend to win matches is quite telling. Him and Varane makes me feel much more calm watching United. We concede a few sloppy goals here and there still, but there are several factors leading up to those.

I am absolutely shocked that you don't think he's better than Maguire or Lindelof - shocked! Both have been liabilities for at least two seasons straight, although Lindelof has had some good matches lately.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Bring back the glory days of Ole and Maguire :drool:

Those 19/20 and 20/21 season reviews are all I watch these days. What. Amazing. Seasons.
Martinez is alright but have you ever seen him pull this off?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We'd be so good if we had just one central midfielder as press resistant as him. He's probably the best in the whole team. Antony, Shaw, and Malacia have their moments too but they're all fairly one footed.

Actually it's probably Martial. :(

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m struggling that anyone could watch Martinez, Lindelof and Maguire and be unsure as to who is better. Although I felt Maguire had a good first season you can still easily put him then against Martinez and conclude he’s nowhere near the level of Martinez.

It’s like looking at McT and wondering if he’s better than Keane was.

Status
Not open for further replies.