Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Ten Hag says he is good in the air.
Looks like he wasn't impressed with Maguire and Shaw last season as they were our left sided defenders and he immediately bought Martinez and Malacia. Those two have the aggression that he's mentioned a few times.

macheda14

Looks like he wasn't impressed with Maguire and Shaw last season as they were our left sided defenders and he immediately bought Martinez and Malacia. Those two have the aggression that he's mentioned a few times.
Shaw was injured for most of the season.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That puts paid to the “play him in in midfield” crowd. As I said we’ve bought him as a CB and that’s where I expect him to be. Not a squad player either

I Am Zlatan

If Ronaldo stays, and ETH somehow incorporates him into the team, I can see him scoring plenty from Martinez long passes.

TsuWave

Ten Hag said "he's got that dawg in him". That's all I needed to hear.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Seems like it.

Who do you think would win a 100 metre sprint between Telles and Maguire?
I'd say Maguire. He's slow as hell for the first couple of steps and on the turn, but once he gets going he's got a ok top speed. Not fast or anything (obviously), but I reckon he'd be a fair bit faster than Telles over a long distance in a straight line.

AlexUTD

Would take a couple of hours to find out.
Touche mate :lol: ;)

I'd say Maguire. He's slow as hell for the first couple of steps and on the turn, but once he gets going he's got a ok top speed. Not fast or anything (obviously), but I reckon he'd be a fair bit faster than Telles over a long distance in a straight line.
I think you are right, Clash of the turtles?

Bwuk

Glad he’s cleared that up. I never expected him to play in midfield.

Martinez has to start. He’s got that fight about him that none of Maguire/Varane/Lindelof have.

Varane/Martinezas the starting duo if Varane can stay fit.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
You should have listened to advice and opened this right after his first match, now it's going to be dominated by heightist discourse.

By the way he actually looks shorter than Messi!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Rashford is gonna love this guy. Great passing range and lots of aggression in the tackle, looks good. Also, I find it hilarious that an Arsenal fan channel video is being used to showcase a United player :lol:
just like Van Dijk does for liverpool, Martinez is gonna feed our wingers so well. It’s going to earn us a few yards and give the midfield more space. they can’t press too quickly as they’ll leave the fullback 1v1

Chief123

Who do you think would win a 100 metre sprint between Telles and Maguire?
It’s a good job it’s 100m because Maguire would struggle turning on the bends in a 200m.

Anyway, Maguire would probably run into Telles by accident and take him out of the race.

Nicklas

Actually quite surprised he’s 1.75 - I haven’t checked it earlier and just saw all these jokes and thought that he’d be 1.70 at the most. So that was a pleasant surprise.

Popovic

I think the aggression part was a good point, we were bullied on that left side of defense last year and ETH has identified it and immediately strengthened it. I'm not sure if it will be a good example but I could see him having an impact like Romero did for Spurs. An aggressive defender that defends on the front foot while being able to play out of the back and start attacks.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
One of the most expensive centre backs of all time, I sure hope it’s not to be a squad player.
Well ETH clearly says he’s here to go into the team not the squad. We already have too many squad filler CBs getting too much time

A-man

Well ETH clearly says he’s here to go into the team not the squad. We already have too many squad filler CBs getting too much time
With that price tag, I don’t think anybody doubts that the intention is having him as a starter. Then of course we’ll see how it works out, maybe he’ll end up at the bench. My guess is he and Harry start the season.

Irwin99

Shaw was injured for most of the season.
Shaw did have his share of feck up moments when he was fit though (Liverpool game just one example). All our fullbacks were appalling last year and as much as Maguire and the other centre backs got a lot of criticism it can't have been easy for them in defence with Telles, Dalot, Shaw, and often zero protection from the midfield.

On topic, really looking forward to seeing this guy. Definitely the signing i'm most interested in so far.

Chief123

One of the most expensive centre backs of all time, I sure hope it’s not to be a squad player.
He will immediately be our best ball playing centre back at the club. With the way ETH likes to play football, that makes him a guaranteed starter. The rest will have to fight for the other spots.

jameyzane

Now I see why Maguire was moved to RCB in the Melbourne Victory game. He doesn't trust Maguire one bit. Don't let the captaincy comments fool you.

Olecurls99

He has to be going straight in at CB considering what we spent. The other 6 can fight to play alongside him. We need some serious shipping to take place in August.

His partner would go in this order for me
Varane
Bailly
Tuanzebe
Lindelof
Maguire
Jones

MUFC OK

Are we actually going to drop Varane to play Maguire then? It's why he shouldn't be captain, it creates an expectation that he plays every game when fit.

Anustart89

Shite at visa applications. Based on that I can’t see him nailing down a spot in the starting eleven.

Mcking

Currently the best CB at the club until he plays. That's how it will always be with expensive new signings. They are always going to be mint until they play, and they are not. Happens every year.

izec

Are we actually going to drop Varane to play Maguire then? It's why he shouldn't be captain, it creates an expectation that he plays every game when fit.
I could see us go to a back 3, if you consider our midfield options and strikers, it would suit us for this season. Varane, Maguire and Martinez.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'

His passing is going to significantly improve our build up play.
Looking at some of them passes, maybe he can recreate the Rooney-RVP moment… martinez to ronaldoooo… who volleys it home ;)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I could see us go to a back 3, if you consider our midfield options and strikers, it would suit us for this season. Varane, Maguire and Martinez.
Has ten Hag ever used a back 3 before? Like at Ajax? I know that during games he switches to a back 3, or likes a back 3 when in possession but that involves a midfielder dropping back.

Status
Not open for further replies.