5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no escaping the fact that his lack of physical attributes has created an unnecessary handicap for us in that position.

Look at Bayern midweek as the perfect example. I've always thought Upemacano is a rash, clumsy defender, but his sheer pace and athleticism got him out of trouble time and time again, and he actually dealt with Rashford easily a couple of times.

Kim Min Jae was also totally physically dominant. There was a moment were the ball broke loose and one of our players, might have been Bruno, had a brief opportunity to seize the ball and run through at goal, but Kim was across like lightning to beat him to the ball and shut down a dangerous moment before it happened.

Likewise, Aphonso Davies...labelled a weak defender by ETH before the game...how easily did he deal with our wide forwards? Again, not because he's the best defender ever, because he's so physically dominant.

If Martinez had Davies or Upemacano's pace, he'd be twice the player of either of them - but he doesn't. It's a simple fact. He's tiny. He's weak, compared to big physical CFs. He's slow. These are all major problems. Personally I'd sooner have a poorer defender who's more physically imposing. Ideally, I'd have one (i.e. Kim) who was both a good defender AND physically imposing.

Again, love Martinez, he's technically very good and his attitude is great. There's definitely a role for him in this team/squad...but I still can't help but think that just being a good player isn't enough in modern day football unfortunately.

He is playing in a completely new back 5...on top of coming back from a serious injury...behind a midfield that offers no protection.

Apart from all that, it's a real head scratcher as to why he hasn't looked as good as last season ;)

Last edited:
He playing in a completely new back 5...on top of coming back from a serious injury...behind a midfield that offers no protection.

Apart from all that, it's a real head scratcher as to why he hasn't looked as good as last season.
Not a fan of Casemiro then?

Harsh on Heinze. He did his ACL in his 2nd season.
Was still a good player when he came back but Evra was just better.

Well I'm not wrong out of the three years Heinze did only have one top season.

In his debut season he deservedly won fan's player of the year. His second season was wiped out by a knee injury. Third season was nothing more than a bit-part player..

Going forward he could've been a decent squad player. Understandably he wanted out for first team football.

However he tarnished his legacy for me by trying to engineer a move to Liverpool.

If Maguire had been putting in the performances of Martinez, he would be mocked even more. Martinez stats are horrendous this season and it’s no surprise we are conceding on every attack.
He needs dropping to find some form, but ETH won’t. Maguire or Lindlof should play his position today if we want to get a result.

this is a ridiculous take. There are many factors to explain how w conceded the goals, not only martinez at all

Jesus, it looks like some people here don’t even watch football ffs

There's no escaping the fact that his lack of physical attributes has created an unnecessary handicap for us in that position.

Look at Bayern midweek as the perfect example. I've always thought Upemacano is a rash, clumsy defender, but his sheer pace and athleticism got him out of trouble time and time again, and he actually dealt with Rashford easily a couple of times.

Kim Min Jae was also totally physically dominant. There was a moment were the ball broke loose and one of our players, might have been Bruno, had a brief opportunity to seize the ball and run through at goal, but Kim was across like lightning to beat him to the ball and shut down a dangerous moment before it happened.

Likewise, Aphonso Davies...labelled a weak defender by ETH before the game...how easily did he deal with our wide forwards? Again, not because he's the best defender ever, because he's so physically dominant.

If Martinez had Davies or Upemacano's pace, he'd be twice the player of either of them - but he doesn't. It's a simple fact. He's tiny. He's weak, compared to big physical CFs. He's slow. These are all major problems. Personally I'd sooner have a poorer defender who's more physically imposing. Ideally, I'd have one (i.e. Kim) who was both a good defender AND physically imposing.

Again, love Martinez, he's technically very good and his attitude is great. There's definitely a role for him in this team/squad...but I still can't help but think that just being a good player isn't enough in modern day football unfortunately.

Absolute rubbish, Koulibaliy was everything you described, quick, strong but he was abolsutely useless then you had Silva who is not particularly tall and is not really fast any more due to age has been their best center back. You can have all the attributes you talked about, but if you haven't the IQ, you're donkey brain in a horses body.

I think his aggression was the x factor in him. He is not showing that lately.

World Cup hangover?
Post big injury. I think he was a lot better in the Bayern game though. He’s young I feel he’ll be fine, the fear is with players like Varane who come back each time form injury and it’s likely they’re slightly lesser than before given your potential physical peak for football is late twenties. You can see it happening with VVD who was once arguably the best CB around and I’d say without the space of a season or two is a middling PL CB.

You clearly haven’t watched us this season.

of course I did. And I posted a couple times my opinion about what’s going on.We have no midfield, his partner is not at united level, and the LB leaves a big space that he has to cover. Send any great CB in this situation and the same will happen. Even more if they’re coming back froma several months injury. People here post as if this was FIFA 23 and the players were machines.
You bring no analysis at all, saying that “we conceded x amount of goals, he’s been terrible”. Could have perfectly seen the numbers online and coming to post this, not even watching the game.

He has been improving, being still rusty. He will get back to his normal level, but if he’s exposed by the team there’s nothing to do.
It’s interesting how we’ve got a good player and proven to be PL ready, numbers and stats backed it up, eye test backed it up, and it’s like there are people here who supports the club that somehow are there waiting for the first “failure” to come and try to prove the point they once had.

He's probably in that mindset that Dalot was in when you have a major injury, that most players go through, where you're thinking it might happen again.

He'll get back into form I'm sure, but it will take time. Injury setbacks along the way don't help either.

I know where you’re coming from. But it’s all about the blend and the team.

Keep in mind he’s been injured off and on - we haven’t seen him at peak physical condition for a long time. And going back to before his injuries, he was still physically inferior to most top CBs but it wasn’t so much of a problem when the blend was right with him and Varane together.

I like him for the same reasons you do and I want him in the team when he’s fit. Truth is, we don’t have great options and I said at the time that we could have done with Kim. Still, we got Evans instead!

I'm hearing he's out until after the International break. Will miss 3 games.

Not been a great start to the season for him. Really not got going.

He hasn't been right this season at all, been very poor. It was obvious something was up re carrying an injury. We have Varane back now, let the man get back to full fitness, and unleash the player we know he is.

He hasn't been right this season at all, been very poor. It was obvious something was up re carrying an injury. We have Varane back now, let the man get back to full fitness, and unleash the player we know he is.
Exactly. He battled through the defensive injury crisis we had when he clearly wasn’t right - let him now take the time to recover.

Hope he can get back to his best. He's no use to us or himself if he's struggling through games.

Might never recover I fear. Certainly not to the level of before.

Reoccurring injury from last season I knew he didn’t look fully fit

Really annoying. I think we might just have to write off 2023 for him at this point and hope he comes back strong[er] in 2024...

Fack.

We need Shaw and regulon to be fit really. The positive in the last game was Maguire had a good outing and Evans is capable of featuring for us with a competent performance too. I'm not counting on Varane to stay fit so Lindelof will need to cover him there.

Sorry to crush your "dreams" mate

Fack.

We need Shaw and regulon to be fit really. The positive in the last game was Maguire had a good outing and Evans is capable of featuring for us with a competent performance too. I'm not counting on Varane to stay fit so Lindelof will need to cover him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.