5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
The opposition will just cover him and leave it with Onana to go long or let Varane have it.
Well if it was that easy, no one would build from back at all because all we need to is mark the defenders and let the GK go long . Point being, the first phase of the build up play is very crucial and we haven't been doing it at all since Licha and Martinez was injured. You will see a difference going forward.

Pronewbie

Peep
I hope his return means we'll start seeing Onana play shorter to him and Mainoo. His distribution is great, but I'm convinced that a lot of our problems come from the instruction to play long from our own goal.

Those three could strike up a very good playing relationship. Might finally see some concerted efforts of building play from the back.
Shaw is also key to this setup which was obviously what ETH wanted to start with this season. But I fear that, just like at the start of the season, the opposition will simply force us to swing the ball to the right which is far weaker in the build-up phase, and clog up the midfield.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Well if it was that easy, no one would build from back at all because all we need to is mark the defenders and let the GK go long . Point being, the first phase of the build up play is very crucial and we haven't been doing it at all since Licha and Martinez was injured. You will see a difference going forward.
It's very obvious that teams are happy for Onana to have ball rather than close him down as they do with other keepers.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
It's very obvious that teams are happy for Onana to have ball rather than close him down as they do with other keepers.
And that's not down to Onana but the players who refuses to move to open space and receive the ball.

united for life

Great to see him back. He only did one or two of them but I have missed those quick passes between the lines :drool:
exactly. Takes him a fraction of a second to do it too. He is with no doubt a great boost for us. We need his intensity and work rate at the back. We also badly need this “come near and i’ll kick you in the arse” kind of attitude.

Lyng

And that's not down to Onana but the players who refuses to move to open space and receive the ball.
Yup our off the ball movement is woeful. Martinez usually is great at that though so he will be a massive help for us and will hopefully enable Onana to release the ball faster.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That’s just basic football? My son’s 15 and he knows you don’t press the keeper. It’s been drilled into him for years. That just leaves a defender wide open for the keeper to pass to. Instead, the attackers block off passing channels and press the receiver as soon as a pass is played. The art of beating the press is having a receiver who can take the ball on the turn or has the ability to hit accurate first time passes through the lines. Which is where Martinez will improve us.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
That’s just basic football? My son’s 15 and he knows you don’t press the keeper. It’s been drilled into him for years. That just leaves a defender wide open for the keeper to pass to. Instead, the attackers block off passing channels and press the receiver as soon as a pass is played. The art of beating the press is having a receiver who can take the ball on the turn or has the ability to hit accurate first time passes through the lines. Which is where Martinez will improve us.
De Gea was pressed all the time. Onana isn't.

Teams are happy to funnel the ball to him, Varane and Wan Bissaka because they'll do very little with it.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Teams are happy to funnel the ball to him, Varane and Wan Bissaka because they'll do very little with it.
De Gea gets pressed because he shits the bed when that happens. That’s an unusual, very specific tactic because he is almost uniquely vulnerable under pressure.

As I said, it’s a basic fundamental of football coaching for attacking players to not press a goalkeeper. This is what is drilled into attacking players at all levels of football. It’s particularly stupid with a keeper like Onana, who is very calm under pressure. Nonetheless the combination of his calmness and accurate short passing with Martinez’s ability on the ball will obviously make us a lot better at working the ball out from the back.

RedIan

Great to have him back, from the get go he looked good. Nice firm accurate passing, looked confident.

Conor

Talk about not understanding the reason for something :lol:

Skills

Snitch
It's more than that, you just don't press high up all the time like a maniac anyway. That's how you get gassed, and get little reward out of a high effort action.

You target certain players or certain situations when you want to press - for most teams that's when the ball goes out wide to a full back or someone's receiving the ball facing their own goal. CBs are also rarely pressed because they often receive the ball facing forwards and always have a safe option of a short pass back to the keeper.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s a top player and most of all I just enjoy watching him play. His passing, movement, control is on another level compared to our other centre backs. Should have had an assist for that stunning pass into Garnacho. We have severely missed him and now I hope he can put an injury free run together.,

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He’s a top player and most of all I just enjoy watching him play. His passing, movement, control is on another level compared to our other centre backs. Should have had an assist for that stunning pass into Garnacho. We have severely missed him and now I hope he can put an injury free run together.,
Spot on. Great to see him back. We have desperately missed his quality and physicality.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I think Bruno also does far better when Martinez is in the side because he’s willing (and able) to fizz the ball into his feet in the half spaces. That’s where Bruno is then at his best and can play those killer balls more quickly. All our other CBs either want too much time or are incapable of playing those kind of passes into the striker/number 10. Great to have him back.

Blood Mage

Him and Shaw are the only players we have that Pep would gladly take off us I think. He's very good.

ShinjiNinja26

Assume you mean central defence because you are doing a massive disservice to Shaw imo.
Yes, I should’ve made that clearer, Shaw is also very good. It’s good to have some composure in the back line once again but we need to be looking at upgrades in the summer for the right hand side of the defence.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’ll probably go down as Hag’s only genuinely good signing.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Looked back to himself today.
We missed him. Here's hoping the injury has been fixed properly now.

It's early days still, but he looked slightly tentative occasionally the first time he came back and I didn't see that today.

Oranges038

Good to have him back. He had a good game.

Hope he can stay fit now, desperately need him at the back to play the ball forward through the lines.

Lyng

Good game. He is so nicely press resistant and his passing is fantastic for a cb. We have missed him so much.

criticalanalysis

Was he always that stocky? Maybe my memory is deceiving me but he looks heavy to me.
He does look a bit more bulked up. He was never rapid anyways and relied on his agility and positioning to get to the ball first, so a bit of muscle is not necessarily a bad thing.