View full 2023-24 profile

5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

GlasgowRedz

If true this is a bad decision, we should be saving him for the FA Cup rather than risking him in this weeks 2 dead rubbers

He'll need some minutes before playing in the cup final, needs to be built up in the hope that he can play for the majority if not all of the final.

He's not likely to start tomorrow, maybe on for the last 15/20 mins like Kambwala on Sunday.

Nicoteiro

If true this is a bad decision, we should be saving him for the FA Cup rather than risking him in this weeks 2 dead rubbers

1 - He's recovered and fit to play after training with the squad, under the medics supervision.
2- He can't play FA Cup final if he doesn't have any minutes played, his lack of rythm will kill the team. This is not like a videogame.

A-man

That goes both ways though, surely? He gets criticised for Casemiro, when his first choice was FDJ. Same with (apparently) Kane, and ended up getting Hojlund. Of course no one gets their first choice all the time.

But I'm not defending him. He should have been kept far away from signings if our previous regime wasn't so woefully inept and incompetent.
United are not that attractive to players any more, and we have to accept that the best players will not choose to play for us. Sure, some players will sign if they are at the end of their career and want a fat pay check but most top players want to compete for titles.

Irwin99

Did he touch the ball once?
Got one tackle in on the edge of the box if i remember right. Wonder if he starts at the weekend to test his fitness. Just throwing him into the cup final seems risky if he's not up to speed.

Feels like we've got no idea who's going to be our defence for that game.

criticalanalysis

Got one tackle in on the edge of the box if i remember right. Wonder if he starts at the weekend to test his fitness. Just throwing him into the cup final seems risky if he's not up to speed.
I think his tackle was what started the counter attack where Hojlund tried squaring it to Rashford.
I think it was Casemiro who was shielding Isak inwards and then Martinez stepped in to block/tackle the ball, which lead to the ball going towards the left channel and ended with Bruno passing for Hojlund's goal.

A nice little cameo and once again a bit of classy/clutch defending.

Northstand

Not one comment on him returning to the starting lineup today. You can see how much he’s been missed to the way we play, just calms us down a bit and gives us a good out ball. Brilliant goal line clearance too.
Yes, didn’t see the game today so expected plenty of comments in here regarding such an important player who’s been out so long.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Not one comment on him returning to the starting lineup today. You can see how much he’s been missed to the way we play, just calms us down a bit and gives us a good out ball. Brilliant goal line clearance too.
Yes, didn’t see the game today so expected plenty of comments in here regarding such an important player who’s been out so long.
Not many comments because he wasn’t very good. Completely understandable as he will be rusty as hell. Was clearly off the pace though. One superb clearance aside.

Our build up out of the back was horrible for most of the match. And arguably improved slightly after he was subbed off.

Superunknown

I'm really just waiting for him to get injured again. I've lost a bit of faith that he is going to turn into the long-term domineering solution we thought he was going to be when we signed him and his initial performances suggested.

Paul778

We get two good new CB and get rid of Varane/Slabhead/Lindelof. Then but a decent midfield enforcer allowing Mainoo to be a 6/8 as required...

Then practise practise practise...

If we can get to a stable defense that does not need heroics and/or luck for 90 mins of every game our performances, results and injury list will all improve massively.

Oranges038

Great to have him back, he looked rusty, but to be expected. Still not a terrible display.

FujiVice

Has to be Martinez and Varane at centre back. Casemiro in front of them. Its a one off game. Let's turn the clock back to 18 months ago when they had City on toast at Old Trafford. Just have a go.

Irwin99

Didn't watch the Brighton match but it's understandable to hear that he looked rusty.... and also a bit depressing too as we need a centre back pairing that's on top form for the City game.

criticalanalysis

Not many comments because he wasn’t very good. Completely understandable as he will be rusty as hell. Was clearly off the pace though. One superb clearance aside.

Our build up out of the back was horrible for most of the match. And arguably improved slightly after he was subbed off.
Had a poor stream so wasn't able to watch the match that clearly but I don't remember him being individually poor? Definitely not as sharp but considering the opposition and their approach to possession and pressing, I thought it was as good as you'd hope for someone out that long.

https://x.com/AJMUFC10/status/1792256718627311900

Think he had one or two misplaced passes which were trying to thread it through the middle. Also Hojlund coming on for Bruno, which made McT go a bit deeper (rather than wandering aimlessly as he was before for the previous 60) and then our fresh subs make the game easier for us.

Redstain

Looked like he didn't have match fitness, I think he will be robust when getting consecutive games under his belt.

His importance is noticeable but certainly overstated by many including the manager. It's more of an interesting dynamic with who the club sign this summer to accompany him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Our best deep passer since Carrick. Alot of their passes are similar I think - hard and driven into pockets in the midfield.

A-man

Great save on the line but apart from that he looked far from up to speed. We need both him and Varane to jump up a level against City and hopefully this game brought them closer to match tempo.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Has to be Martinez and Varane at centre back. Casemiro in front of them. Its a one off game. Let's turn the clock back to 18 months ago when they had City on toast at Old Trafford. Just have a go.
Sadly it was Shaw at centre half in that game, not Martinez, and he definitely won’t be starting!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Called up to Argentina’s preliminary squad for the Copa America. Perhaps one of the few cases where some international games could be a plus as he’ll get some match practice ahead of the new campaign.

Of course with our luck he’ll get injured.

Blood Mage

Got no faith in him now sadly, just expect him to get injured again soon. We need two new CBs in the summer.

Nicoteiro

This forum is amazing

In 6 months there will be people knee jerking and we'll quote them from the last posts.

Stadjer

He is so good. Excellent at defending but on the ball he also adds so much extra to the team. Top 4 if he is fit and in form all season