Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiber

Is he better or worse than the other Ajax defender who turned us down?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Is he better or worse than the other Ajax defender who turned us down?
Better to answer your question, Ajax player of the season, however its said Timber has a higher ceiling

Kaos

Wonder if he could also play between back four and De Jong or wouldn't that work
He has played in midfield, but Ten Hag was gone on the record to say he sees him very much as a defender. I don't think we're signing him to be our elusive DM.

croadyman

He has played in midfield, but Ten Hag was gone on the record to say he sees him very much as a defender. I don't think we're signing him to be our elusive DM.
Just terrifies me to think of Fred/McTominay partnering him instead of an actual DM

Trex

I honestly wouldnt be suprised to see him target Tadic if Ronaldo really goes. There are no world class strikers available/affordable or even interested in United. Ten Hag knows he can use Tadic as a false 9. I don't think it's likely, but it wouldn't surprise me.
Even Martial is a better footballer, if he does that Murtough would veto such move

Newstyle

Why sign another CB when we already have 6 of them in the first team? It’s like we are collecting them.

in CDM/CM we have 3 players competing for 2 slots. Major issues here.

Last edited:

croadyman

Why sign another CB when we already have 6 players in the first team? It’s like we are collecting them.

We are looking to move a couple on, also none of the CB's in the squad has the skills of this guy

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Why sign another CB when we already have 6 of them in the first team? It’s like we are collecting them.

What difference does it make how many we have if we don't have enough quality ones?

Rolaholic

Makes me think we won't be pushing for Antony as well this summer given said excellent relationship

Matt851

Not sure about this signing given our seemingly limited funds. Would rather sign a cf, dm , rb or rw. Added to that, I do worry his height will be an issue

croadyman

Not sure about this signing given our seemingly limited funds. Would rather sign a cf, dm , rb or rw. Added to that, I do worry his height will be an issue
Won't get a RW & CF will be one or the other, see Erik going with existing options at DM to partner De Jong IF it happens. We might sign a RB if we can find someone actually willing to take AWB.

Becks00

Makes me think we won't be pushing for Antony as well this summer given said excellent relationship
We would imo. It's not really important if we get Antony now or later in the window, he is recovering from an injury until August I think.

Also, if the club completes the signings of Malacia, Eriksen, De Jong and Martinez soon ( which is looking very likely on all fronts), they would have spent just about the amount rumoured to be available for transfers before sale ( think a little over £100m). From then on I think they would look at moving on some players after Ten Hag has had a chance to see them all and check those who would be useful for his team going forward.

By then I also think we would have resolved the Ronaldo issue and focus our attention on getting forwards needed by Ten Hag for the team ( believe Antony would be one of those if not the only one).

Reactions: Cheimoon

mu4c_20le

Out of the four, still unsure about this one. Really like his ability on the ball, but as a cb he is obviously second choice this window.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I'm more than happy to see us back off from trying to sign Antony and try to play it off as a gesture of goodwill to Ajax.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To some extent I agree with you. Ten Hag is also taking a risk only going after Dutch (league) players. On the other hand it's understandable. Let's be honest here, United has been very poorly run in the past decade. Ten Hag knows this and knows he might not get a lot of time to get things going. The club's scouting list is not adjusted to his style of football, cause they've played very differently in the past 10 years. Therefore he can't trust scouting.

I think Ten Hag just wants to make sure he has some kind of foundation to work with by bringing 3-5 players in that he knows he can use and trust in his type of football. By next season the scouting should be well aware of the attributes Ten Hag needs for each position. Hence for next season the scouting should be able to get players from anywhere to fit into the team. Therefore I'd expect more diversity in Uniteds targets next season. For this season it seems like it's mainly about setting up Ten Hag up with a decent enough foundation to start executing his plan. This is fair enough in my opinion, especially considering United does not seem to have an enormous transfer kitty available.
Agreed.

Also bear in mind that United's first team scouting in Holland is led by Amsterdam born Roy Beuekenkamp, who reports to the head of European scouting, Henny de Regt. And de Regt himself was at Ajax for 18 years and is credited with discovering the likes of Wesley Sneijder, Christian Eriksen and de Ligt. And both men have been part of the United scouting setup since 2016. So it's about time we utilised their work, and both men will have the low down on the players in the Dutch league.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
It's weird how both clubs want him but both wouldn't be too bothered if they missed out :confused:

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's weird how both clubs want him but both wouldn't be too bothered if they missed out :confused:
How do you come to that conclusion? Ornstein clearly reported that he is your top defensive priority.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
How do you come to that conclusion? Ornstein clearly reported that he is your top defensive priority.
I mean both sets of fans, hopefully we have other defensive targets if he choose United.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mean both sets of fans, hopefully we have other defensive targets if he choose United.
Oh, ok then. Looks like both sets of fans have some big reservations about his height. You hear nothing but positive words from Ajax fans though, which is encouraging.

justsomebloke

To some extent I agree with you. Ten Hag is also taking a risk only going after Dutch (league) players. On the other hand it's understandable. Let's be honest here, United has been very poorly run in the past decade. Ten Hag knows this and knows he might not get a lot of time to get things going. The club's scouting list is not adjusted to his style of football, cause they've played very differently in the past 10 years. Therefore he can't trust scouting.

I think Ten Hag just wants to make sure he has some kind of foundation to work with by bringing 3-5 players in that he knows he can use and trust in his type of football. By next season the scouting should be well aware of the attributes Ten Hag needs for each position. Hence for next season the scouting should be able to get players from anywhere to fit into the team. Therefore I'd expect more diversity in Uniteds targets next season. For this season it seems like it's mainly about setting up Ten Hag up with a decent enough foundation to start executing his plan. This is fair enough in my opinion, especially considering United does not seem to have an enormous transfer kitty available.
On the other hand again, the notion that there's a foundational group of 3-5 Dutch/Ajax players who's going to be sort of the backbone of the transition risks the creation of unfortunate cliques in the squad, no? Ditto the perception that the new guys are brought in because of ties to the manager rather than because they're the best players. And then you're not too far from the nagging thought that you're not getting a fair shake and/or the team isn't being selected on merit.

Whichever way I twist it, this level of focus on Dutch/Ajax players in recruitment just doesn't sit well. It inevitably says something very bad about something.

Ekeke

We've been collecting average ones yes. Thats why we signed 1 last summer and need another 1 this summer. We looked more vulnerable than ever at CB last season with a huge amount of goals conceded and despite not having the most attacking fullbacks you would see in today's game.

We have Lindelof as a backup, Maguire and Varane could both be good enough if on form and Lisandro is an upgrade on all of them on the ball and in terms of defending

We do need and have needed a midfielder for years too.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
On the other hand again, the notion that there's a foundational group of 3-5 Dutch/Ajax players who's going to be sort of the backbone of the transition risks the creation of unfortunate cliques in the squad, no? Ditto the perception that the new guys are brought in because of ties to the manager rather than because they're the best players. And then you're not too far from the nagging thought that you're not getting a fair shake and/or the team isn't being selected on merit.

Whichever way I twist it, this level of focus on Dutch/Ajax players in recruitment just doesn't sit well. It inevitably says something very bad about something.
I think the clique risk is quite small, because for one not all players potentially coming in are one nationality and next to not all of them are already proven world class players. Eriksen and Frenkie are, but the guys coming from the Dutch league are not yet. They are all very talented players, but they need to prove themselves and fight for their spot and to make their name. The clique risk is much bigger when it's much more experencied players that have less to prove. If Ten Hag would be bringing Memphis, Wijnaldum, Bergwijn and Dumfries that may be a bigger risk, but with this set of players that are now being rumoured to make the move I don't think you should worry about that. These players are eager to just prove themselves.

Ten Hag will also make choices that will be best for the team. With Ajax he signed some players from his former team (FC Utrecht) as well. They were not good enough and then they simply didn't play a lot eventhough he liked them as players/professionals. Ten Hag will do the team/club right in that respect.

LuckyScout78

I have said before. He is not the tallest CB. But you don't bully with a guy call "A buther"

Both Nunez and Haaland got buthered by Martinez.

Don't bully with this guys. And both Haaland and Nunez knows it. Both of the can smell it.

You never know.

United CB duo can be this:

McTom "The Terminator"= beast both physical and mentaliy - Martinez "The butcher"

McTom has play CB for Scottland. McTom is really quick in the first metres and hard to beat one against one.
You never know. Under Ten Hag drilling and practising ball and passing skill. Over and over again. Repetition to max theirs ball and pass skill. I see the potential there. Never say never.

Bissaka - McTom "The Terminator"= beast both physical and mentaliy - Martinez "The butcher" - Malacia

It will hard and difficult to pass and break the Terminator and the Butcher. And no joking.

Timber or another world class CB to partner Martinez. Until that. I easily will pick McTom over Varane, Lindelof and Maguire.

McTom is just natural physical beast. Same as his mentality. Ball and passing will get drill and train by Ten Hag. Over and over again. Everyone.

justsomebloke

I have said before. He is not the tallest CB. But you don't bully with a guy call "A buther"

Don't bully with this guys. And both Haaland and Nunez knows it. Both of the can smell it.

You never know.

McTom "The Terminator"= beast both physical and mentaliy - Martinez "The butcher"

McTom has play CB for Scottland. McTom is really quick in the first metres and hard to beat one against one.
You never know. Under Ten Hag drilling and practising ball and passing skill. Over and over again. Repetition to max theirs ball and pass skill. I see the potential there. Never say never.

Bissaka - McTom "The Terminator"= beast both physical and mentaliy - Martinez "The butcher" - Malacia

It will hard and difficult to pass and break the Terminator and the Butcher. And no joking.

Timber or another world class CB to partner Martinez. Until that. I easily will pick McTom over Varane, Lindelof and Maguire.

McTom is just natural physical beast. Same as his mentality. Ball and passing will get drill and train by Ten Hag. Over and over again. Everyone.
Errrr.....not many situations there where he gets into a physical tussle with either of them - and on the few occasions he does, he looks a bit lucky not to create a penalty or a foul? More impressed by the positioning, steady calmness, timing of interventions and passing.

Actually, as always when looking at comps of Ajax or Netherlands, what really jumps out at me is the persistent quality of the passing options. There always seems to be someone available for a quick, simple, safe progressive pass.

edcunited1878

You never know.

Are you Scott's brother?

He's never been a CB in a 2 man setup. He's being shoehorned into a 3 CB setup for Scotland where he does an average job. Many players do go around him and he fouls a ton. And the not letting players go past him, the ball does and he picks up yellows too. McTominay can barely diagnose his environment within the central midfield area...he's not fit for purpose as a CB in a two man setup, which has greater importance for reading the game and diagnosing spatial scenarios with a player in front of you and a run being made behind you or late.

Newstyle

What difference does it make how many we have if we don't have enough quality ones?
Having too many players not playing in the same position is a sure recipe for discontent. Not that we need any more of that?

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

You never know.

Your worst post

Status
Not open for further replies.