Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Manucho the boss

It's a two footed high kick, on a football pitch. It doesn't matter that it's not petulant or malicious, it's extremely dangerous and should have warranted a red card, let alone a penalty. Awful challenge.
Watched that match and didn't even see that so understandable that the officials didn't see it I suppose. Was it as bad as that picture makes it luck or is he just in the air trying to block the ball rather than moving towards the player?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Watched that match and didn't even see that so understandable that the officials didn't see it I suppose. Was it as bad as that picture makes it luck or is he just in the air trying to block the ball rather than moving towards the player?
Here is a link to a video of it. For me, it's a blatant red card offense.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Tough call because he actually clears the ball and the QPR players just barge on in on top of him.
That's what I was thinking too. Is it a foul/penalty/red card when a player plays the ball and takes his opponent down afterwards? Opinions differ on that matter.

|Neo|x

Sad to see how far they've regressed yet we're still not at their level.
It is pretty sad to see but I'd be a lot more worried about how we were performing if this was Van Gaal's third season in charge. It's still early days for us but we are improving and there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope! :wenger:

Manucho the boss

Here is a link to a video of it. For me, it's a blatant red card offense.
Cheers for that, not sure what i make of it to be honest. He's always favourite to get the ball as its running way from the qpr player so id say its a clearance more than a tackle, however he certainly took a risk with that follow through. Wonder if anything can be done about retrospectively it as the officials took no action at the time

Late tackles or attempted blocks that crush the player are never a penalty as long as the attacker got his shot away, frustrating to watch.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Late tackles or attempted blocks that crush the player are never a penalty as long as the attacker got his shot away, frustrating to watch.
Happened again last weekend with some goalkeeper, clearly a foul when he came out of his goal but penalty wasn't given because the player in question already shot the ball.. They mentioned it on MOTD, I think, but can't remember what game it was.

Manucho the boss

Happened again last weekend with some goalkeeper, clearly a foul when he came out of his goal but penalty wasn't given because the player in question already shot the ball.. They mentioned it on MOTD, I think, but can't remember what game it was.
Yeah the Southampton keeper on Stephen Fletcher. Could have made it 2-1 against 10 men for an hour rather than 8-0!

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Cheers for that, not sure what i make of it to be honest. He's always favourite to get the ball as its running way from the qpr player so id say its a clearance more than a tackle, however he certainly took a risk with that follow through. Wonder if anything can be done about retrospectively it as the officials took no action at the time

On what grounds? Don't think a tackle has ever been retrospectively punished, has it? A punch, kick, spit or shove is different to a poorly timed, desperate tackle.

Not sure this incident had had much airtime in all honesty.

montpelier

how is that a 'tough call' - it looks like Cantona going into the crowd at Selhurst Park - how much more out of control & dangerous do you want it to be?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
how is that a 'tough call' - it looks like Cantona going into the crowd at Selhurst Park - how much more out of control & dangerous do you want it to be?
Well done for comparing two incomparable incidents. Not the same planet as each other.

montpelier

pah.

Johnson's is worse of the 2, if anything.

The QPR lads don't deserve to get assaulted like that whereas....

The mystery for me is how Glen obtains some nano-contact on the football as it rolls along the ground.

Manucho the boss

Since everyone is hoping for Madrid to tonk them, it's going to end up with a jammy Pool win isn't it? Rodgers will then be hailed as the Messiah.
I don't think that's how it works, Real Madrid have by far the better football players I'll take that over some superstitious nonsense about the team no-one wants to win getting additional luck.

gasmanc

Banned
I don't think that's how it works, Real Madrid have by far the better football players I'll take that over some superstitious nonsense about the team no-one wants to win getting additional luck.
Depends, Madrid have El Classico at the weekend, they will be thinking they can rest players, drop points tonight and they still progress with ease.
If Madrid play with anything like a full compliment then Liverpool should be royally stuffed, but you have to factor in that famous atmosphere :rolleyes:

Manucho the boss

Even Ludogorets should have scored 3 or 4 at Anfield, find it hard to imagine Real not scoring 3 or 4 before they take the foot off. Real Madrid -2 at nearly 6/1 will pay for my pints and dinner thank you very much.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We actually can't lose tonight.

If Liverpool get smashed then all is well with the world. If they somehow manage to get a result then we have the consolation of knowing that our main rivals for 4th place will probably have the continuing distraction of CL football to contend with.

Gonna be a fun game with that in mind.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
We actually can't lose tonight.

If Liverpool get smashed then all is well with the world. If they somehow manage to get a result then we have the consolation of knowing that our main rivals for 4th place will probably have the continuing distraction of CL football to contend with.

Gonna be a fun game with that in mind.
I'd rather they finish third in their group and have Europa to worry about.

MDFC Manager

Would they not just play their dross in those games though? Not like they don't have enough...
Well, based on how Brentan played Sterling for the whole 120 minutes in a league cup game, I reckon he'd be playing his best players in the Europa as well

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Am I the only surprised at how shit Lovren has been this season? Looked solid for Southampton last season but no idea what happened to him.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I actually think they'll get a draw or a jammy win. They've been incredibly lucky these past few weeks.
They do have class players like Coutinho,Henderson, Lallana. They are bound to overrun Real in CM. If they have Can back Real would be in real trouble. :wenger:

Last edited:

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Am I the only surprised at how shit Lovren has been this season? Looked solid for Southampton last season but no idea what happened to him.
I'm not surprised at all, I remember discussing this with Pool supporters during the summer. Lovren was incredibly overated for me, he was excellent in the first half of the season last year with Southampton and then so-so in the second half, and he hadn't been that good with Lyon before that (and most Lyon supporters were rid to get rid in the end). I don't think he's actually as bad as he's currently looking, but a lot of Scouse supporters were going on about him like he was the second coming, when he's really just decent.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
I'm not surprised at all, I remember discussing this with Pool supporters during the summer. Lovren was incredibly overated for me, he was excellent in the first half of the season last year with Southampton and then so-so in the second half, and he hadn't been that good with Lyon before that (and most Lyon supporters were rid to get rid in the end). I don't think he's actually as bad as he's currently looking, but a lot of Scouse supporters were going on about him like he was the second coming, when he's really just decent.
Interesting. Maybe I only watched his good games. I am pleased at how underwhelming their new signings have performed, though to be fair, I expect Markovic and Lallana to come good by the end of the season. I also expect Balotelli to implode at some point.

Zoo

He had Schneiderlin and Wanyama in front of him at Southampton.

Cina

Interesting. Maybe I only watched his good games. I am pleased at how underwhelming their new signings have performed, though to be fair, I expect Markovic and Lallana to come good by the end of the season. I also expect Balotelli to implode at some point.
Suarez was so good that he elevated decent players to another level entirely with his presence on the pitch, losing him was a hammerblow for them and their issues are definitely as a consequence of that rather than their new signings being poor. Their defense was even worse last season, as average as Lovren has been.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Pretty fair summary of him, even in his best games he's capable of a mistake or two, although I will admit that I didn't expect him to be this bad.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Suarez was so good that he elevated decent players to another level entirely with his presence on the pitch, losing him was a hammerblow for them and their issues are definitely as a consequence of that rather than their new signings being poor. Their defense was even worse last season, as average as Lovren has been.
Our defence is a lot worse this season I think. Agree that losing Suárez was a huge blow for the entire side, and our defence was bad last season too but I think it's even worse now.

On Lovren, I think he's been terrible but I think right now most centre backs would look bad in our team. They look like they don't even work on defending in training, especially set pieces, and it's a bit too much of a coincidence for me that literally all our centre backs were better at previous clubs or under previous managers.

Rooney in Paris

Scout
Zoo makes a good point though:
He had Schneiderlin and Wanyama in front of him at Southampton.
That Liverpool defence gets very little protection from their midfield, they really struggle to defend as a team.

montpelier

I suspect that they will do OK. :(

Even a point would be valuable with regard to qualifying as well. :( :(

bishblaize

I suspect this game will end up being a lot tighter than we all hope. A bit like when we faced Bayern last year, football games of this type rarely go according to the formbook. Its really hard to see anything but a Madrid win, but the 5-0 tonking a lot of people are calling for will (probably) not happen.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Must confess something.

I'm still traumatized by what happened last year the 0-3 at home. I wasn't really confident before the game but I thought that we could have done something, especially after an European night, and at home in a derby.

But I couldn't believe what I saw and in the stand we couldn't believe neither.

I’m still haunted by their supporter’s chants “We’re Liverpool la la la la la”… I still have the song in my head and I’m haunted by the sound, the view I had from their supporters dancing and feeling the best when it was a pure disaster for us….

Even if we have a bad season, we absolutely have to beat them and City at home.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Liverpool have always been game raising cnuts. Expect them to do better than predicted.

Plus Madrid will have one eye on the Classico over the weekend considering they are all but guarenteed to top this group already.