Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Rafateria

Seems reasonable. But when someone pointed out the same stats being rather lobsided in United's favour during the Chelsea match...
So those stats only prove something when you want them to?
I didn't quote any stats for United vs Chelsea. I simply stated that Chelsea looked far more dangerous in attack and I always had the feeling Hazard was going to score/create something. And that I didn't feel the same potency in United's attacking game.

Rafateria

Improved performance last night from Liverpool (albeit I was only half-watching) but still nothing to get me worried yet. More controlled then recent weeks, but that explosive high tempo play of last season is looking more and more like a brief run of good form not to be repeated. There was nothing along those lines here.
Please do remember there were NINE changes from the team that played against Hull.
With no Sterling and Sturridge, they're a mid-table team in attack.
Without Di Maria and RvP I wonder how you'd rate your own attack ?

Cina

Please do remember there were NINE changes from the team that played against Hull.
Without Di Maria and RvP I wonder how you'd rate your own attack ?
Wow, worst possible pick there seeing as he's probably the weakest of our 3 strikers to a lot of people right now (or was, until the Chelsea performance). And Di Maria was our worst player against Chelsea.

Rafateria

Wow, worst possible pick there seeing as he's probably the weakest of our 3 strikers to a lot of people right now (or was, until the Chelsea performance). And Di Maria was our worst player against Chelsea.
Well the question was "how would you rate your attack .." not "how did they play against Chelsea" ;)

I'm pretty sure Di Maria would be #1 and RvP #2 ahead of Rooney and probably Falcao as well at the moment, as far as most United fans are concerned (they'd be my picks too at this moment in time).

Cina

Well the question was "how would you rate your attack .." not "how did they play against Chelsea" ;)

I'm pretty sure Di Maria would be #1 and RvP #2 ahead of Rooney and probably Falcao as well at the moment, as far as most United fans are concerned (they'd be my picks too at this moment in time).
Nah, Di Maria #1 and #2 is then largely debatable between 3/4 players.

Either way, if you're trying to claim that us taking our 2 best players out damages us as much as you taking your 2 best players out, that's quite precious given the wealth of talent in our attack, how badly you've struggled without Sturridge, and how clearly over reliant you are on Sterling to do .. well ... anything.

Rafateria

Nah, Di Maria #1 and #2 is then largely debatable between 3/4 players.

Either way, if you're trying to claim that us taking our 2 best players out damages us as much as you taking your 2 best players out, that's quite precious given the wealth of talent in our attack, how badly you've struggled without Sturridge, and how clearly over reliant you are on Sterling to do .. well ... anything.
I was saying taking the top 2 attacking players out of any team (and top 3 if you include Suarez) would damage any team. And neither of those two played last night ;)
TBF we are only ¼ the way into the PL so we'll see how the teams are playing come January. Considering who we've played, and who United have played, the fact both teams are still struggling, and yet we are on virtual parity, it's quite an achievement. I hadn't expected that considering all the changes to the Liverpool team and United's first half a dozen or so PL matches.

Cina

I was saying taking the top 2 attacking players out of any team (and top 3 if you include Suarez) would damage any team. And neither of those two played last night ;)
TBF we are only ¼ the way into the PL so we'll see how the teams are playing come January. Considering who we've played, and who United have played, the fact both teams are still struggling, and yet we are on virtual parity, it's quite an achievement. I hadn't expected that considering all the changes to the Liverpool team and United's first half a dozen or so PL matches.
I know you were, and that's why I used Chelsea as an example.

Obviously we'd suffer without Di Maria but I don't think we'd suffer nearly as much without our 2nd best attacker (who people can't even agree on, which says a lot) than you would without Sterling. Hell, we've not done too badly without Rooney for the last three games.

Rafateria

Rooney, Falcao, Herrera, Mata?
Hmmm. Half your fans wanted Rooney sold in the Summer ! Falcao hasn't done anything yet ... jury has to be out on him until proven otherwise in the PL (though I would have taken him in a heart-beat over Balo), and Herrera isn't an attacker so don't know why you include him TBH.

gasmanc

Banned
We were pretty average throughout. We were good the first half, but disappeared during the second. Coutinho, Henderson, Manquillo, Toure, Lucas and Borini all come out of that game with credit as they all played well. Lambert's lack of movement as the lone striker helps no one though and Coutinho and Henderson especially struggle. I'd drop Skrtel immediately for Toure.

I thought we were more dominant against Hull.
This is far to honest a summary.

Should add a poll as to which mod has hijacked Barneys account ;)

bishblaize

Hmmm. Half your fans wanted Rooney sold in the Summer ! Falcao hasn't done anything yet ... jury has to be out on him until proven otherwise in the PL (though I would have taken him in a heart-beat over Balo), and Herrera isn't an attacker so don't know why you include him TBH.
What are you gibbering on about?

Do you think those four players are better than the players you had available last night or not?

SalfordRed1960

I think if Di Maria and RVP were not available and we had to rely on Falcao and Rooney what we lose on one hand we gain in another. Whereas you having Lambert and Balotelli instead of Sterling and Sturridge hasn't quite worked for you.

We saw quite early in the season (first 3 matches) what we are like without our key players. Add to that we are only now starting to get a consistent back line. So things looking up. Be interesting how the same players in the first 3 matches would perform under LVG now.

Rafateria

What are you gibbering on about?

Do you think those four players are better than the players you had available last night or not?
No what are YOU gibbering on about ? The question was whether taking out your top 2 attackers would severely weaken United's attack or not. What has that got to do with them being better than ours or not ? Nothing. So go back and re-read the post and hopefully you'll now comprehend why I answered your incomplete post of just 4 names as I did.

NK86

And neither did you say it should have been. All you did was deflect to something totally unrelated to that specific incident - saying that it goes on in every game and that Skrtel is one of the worst (and I have still never seen him put anyone in a headlock) !
Yes, 'cause that is exactly what it was. It was not even the worst or the most stonewall incident since both Terry and Ivanovic were grappling as well. You keep on harping about the headlock as if that is the worst offence. Skrtel literally hugs the attackers to the ground in so many occasions. Point which I have made multiple times, but it seems difficult for you to grasp, is that these kind of incidents happen in every game and are not called. So saying that this not being called is some kind of big deal is absurd. Not to mention that the rest of your post comprised of absolute no sense stuff about how Chelsea should have had the game sewn up by the 45/60 minute mark when we had the better opportunities, more shots on and off target, more possession in their half.

EDIT: I see that you are still going on about the media outcry over the incident and using that as an excuse to continue discussing it as some sort of major turning point. What about the absolutely blatant penalty which Lescott should have conceded last game against us. Or about the penalty which was given against us when Rafael was tackled to the ground by the striker in the crazy 5-3 game. Did not see much of a media outcry then. One game, when incidents like these happen in every match, and all the pundits and oppo fans are onto it like leech. Says all that is needed to say.

NK86

And there we go again, another deflection. Can't you just discuss the actual event without having to try and switch tack to Liverpool ?

It most certainly wasn't a Red Card. So WTF are you on about ? Have you seen ANY 'Pool supporter say otherwise ? I haven't. As for luck, United have had it for years too ... it goes along with putting bodies and pressure in the opposition box.

And Swansea last night ? They created SFA and so in the end paid the price. Liverpool 22 shots (10 on target) vs Swansea 6 (5). I'd say 2-1 was a fair result in the end.
Have you seen any United fan saying that was NOT a penalty. Yet you go on whining about it. The double standards you lot have is pathetic.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I am not sure he even watches Liverpool if he claims that Skrtel does not do worse than what we were made to see a gazillion times during our match. Skrtel goes for the man and hardly ever looks at the ball during the corners so many times during a game that people have actually stopped bothering to post it.
If you can find me two or three incidents of that this season and at the end of last season I'd be surprised. He doesn't do it more than the average defender at this point.

You can't have it both ways, United lost a top class defence of evra, vidic and Rio plus had its next best five defenders in Evans, Jones, Smalling, Rafael and shaw injured

Irrespective, I recall most Liverpool fans telling us that the majority of your £120m spend was already allocated and would gave been spent irrespective whether suarez had left, so the only real addition to the squad as suarez replacement is ballotelli.
Evra was a terrible defender for the past two seasons, Shaw is a massive upgrade in that department. Vidic isn't having the best of times in a slower league and Rio has been awful at QPR.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If you can find me two or three incidents of that this season and at the end of last season I'd be surprised. He doesn't do it more than the average defender at this point.

Evra was a terrible defender for the past two seasons, Shaw is a massive upgrade in that department. Vidic isn't having the best of times in a slower league and Rio has been awful at QPR.
First and foremost welcome back Barney boy!

Evra still would have got a game for Liverpool so he wasn't as bad as you are making out! If that was a penalty vs Chelsea (and I wouldn't have a problem with that) as grabbing is out of hand for a while now! The problem I would have is why now why against us! And I think every fan would feel that if its his team that gets punished as every team has/is doing it! Plus it would be laughable if Jose tries to take the moral high ground with the way he has went about buisness in his career to date!

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
No chance Evra would get a game for us now Alberto Moreno has joined.

Unless you mean low priority cup games.

BorisontheRock

Welcome back Barney.

I have no disagreement that evra has been poor in defence for his final two seasons and Rio and vidic are not playing well right now, but that wasn't my point, I was responding to a comment that liverpool had had seismic change in the summer with suarez leaving where as our spending wasnt in response to change, we had the equivalent (if you'll humour the comparison) of selling/releasing agger, skertl, and Enrique, then losing, Johnson, sakho, lovern, [another cb] and Moreno to injury.

In our case The players themselves might not be Individually excellent but as a team they bring massive experience (even the younger players) which the likes of Blackett, McNair and Thorpe, plus James just don't have. Anyway, we've added experience in other areas such as midfield and attack with Falcao, adm, Herrera and blind

Rafateria

I think if Di Maria and RVP were not available and we had to rely on Falcao and Rooney what we lose on one hand we gain in another. Whereas you having Lambert and Balotelli instead of Sterling and Sturridge hasn't quite worked for you.

We saw quite early in the season (first 3 matches) what we are like without our key players. Add to that we are only now starting to get a consistent back line. So things looking up. Be interesting how the same players in the first 3 matches would perform under LVG now.
Interesting. What do you think you'd gain having Falcao/Rooney over Di Maria/RVP (not that they are exclusive of course) ? I don't see Lambo/Balo as a pair, both tend to play too deep for that, which is why Sturridge & Sterling with either is far better.

bishblaize

No what are YOU gibbering on about ? The question was whether taking out your top 2 attackers would severely weaken United's attack or not. What has that got to do with them being better than ours or not ? Nothing. So go back and re-read the post and hopefully you'll now comprehend why I answered your incomplete post of just 4 names as I did.
No it wasn't. I made the original post, to which you responded. I pointed out that sans Sturridge and Sterling your attack looked mid-table and discussed your back ups on the night. You then replied to my point and invited the comparison by asking how we would look in the same situation.

Except now, apparently, your post was not in fact inviting a comparison to our squad. You just happened to ask a completely unrelated question, nothing to do with any previous posts, nothing to do with a comparison of the two squads. Just an unrelated, out of the blue question that just so happened to coincide with my original post.

Rafateria

No it wasn't. I made the original post, to which you responded. I pointed out that sans Sturridge and Sterling your attack looked mid-table and discussed your back ups on the night. You then replied to my point and invited the comparison by asking how we would look in the same situation.

Except now, apparently, your post was not in fact inviting a comparison to our squad. You just happened to ask a completely unrelated question, nothing to do with any previous posts, nothing to do with a comparison of the two squads. Just an unrelated, out of the blue question that just so happened to coincide with my original post.
Go back to #6040, re-read it. Then read the back and fro between Cina et moi. If you still don't see what you are saying above is off-tack then ........ *shrugs*

SalfordRed1960

Interesting. What do you think you'd gain having Falcao/Rooney over Di Maria/RVP (not that they are exclusive of course) ? I don't see Lambo/Balo as a pair, both tend to play too deep for that, which is why Sturridge & Sterling with either is far better.
You asked how we would rate our forward line if RVP and Di Maria were not playing. I answered that. We lose something, but gain something else. Not a lot of difference. Whereas with Liverpool the loss of Sturridge and Sterling is very significant.

bishblaize

Meh. tbh he's not significant any more. Best case scenario for Liverpool is that they get a really good replacement or two and Gerrard plays from the bench, in which case its the replacements I'm worried about not Gerrard. If they get the good replacements but he leaves, same story.

The ideal would be Liverpool believing they can get another full season from Gerrard and avoiding strengthening on that basis. But I doubt even Liverpool would be that short sighted.

On the plus side Rodger's transfer record as Liverpool manager is abysmal. It'll be interesting to see his idea of a long term replacement.

Mali_Zeus

Meh. tbh he's not significant any more. Best case scenario for Liverpool is that they get a really good replacement or two and Gerrard plays from the bench, in which case its the replacements I'm worried about not Gerrard. If they get the good replacements but he leaves, same story.

The ideal would be Liverpool believing they can get another full season from Gerrard and avoiding strengthening on that basis. But I doubt even Liverpool would be that short sighted.

On the plus side Rodger's transfer record as Liverpool manager is abysmal. It'll be interesting to see his idea of a long term replacement.
Tbh I can see Rodgers playing Gerrard in the starting lineup despite the fact he should be on the bench. Which of course would be great.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Think he should still get a new contract personally. Only a short term one, though, and only if he's happy to accept a much lesser role than he has at the minute.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea did the right thing letting Lampard go, despite his brief purple patch at City. And replaced him with tons of class players like Matic, Ramires, Fagregas. We really need to do the same.

Gerrard can finally taste something else too before its too late for him.

Thisistheone

Chelsea did the right thing letting Lampard go, despite his brief purple patch at City. And replaced him with tons of class players like Matic, Ramires, Fagregas. We really need to do the same.

You won't be able to attract players of that class though. You'll have to go back to Southampton and buy Wanyama.

:p

Shark

@NotShark

Do you really think players of that class would go to Liverpool of all places? Rodgers will need to use his head when Gerrard leaves, as that's what top managers do. If his summer activity is anything to go by, I worry for you.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Do you really think players of that class would go to Liverpool of all places? Rodgers will need to use his head when Gerrard leaves, as that's what top managers do. If his summer activity is anything to go by, I worry for you.
I don't doubt that Liverpool have a challenge to attract high-end players but that bolded point is a bit OTT. We're not talking about a footballing back-water that has no currency in the game. Liverpool are one of the richest clubs in the world - both in terms of heritage and wealth. It might not be number 1 on some players' wish list but it's also not at all as desperate a place as that comment indicates.

I know this thread is geared towards having a pop at Liverpool, which is fair game, but that's a tad blinkered to me.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't doubt that Liverpool have a challenge to attract high-end players but that bolded point is a bit OTT. We're not talking about a footballing back-water that has no currency in the game. Liverpool are one of the richest clubs in the world - both in terms of heritage and wealth. It might not be number 1 on some players' wish list but it's also not at all as desperate a place as that comment indicates.

I know this thread is geared towards having a pop at Liverpool, which is fair game, but that's a tad blinkered to me.
When is the last time you signed a player like Hazard or Fabregas then?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
When is the last time you signed a player like Hazard or Fabregas then?
I agree it's difficult. It was the "of all places" comment that was a tad strong. Another year in the CL and the club takes on a whole new gravity. That's kind of how it works in mind. Liverpool's absence has hurt the club's draw.

Shark

@NotShark
I agree it's difficult. It was the "of all places" comment that was a tad strong. Another year in the CL and the club takes on a whole new gravity. That's kind of how it works in mind. Liverpool's absence has hurt the club's draw.
I didn't mean it as an insult to your clubs status, I know you're a massive club. I meant it in the sense that there's a lot of clubs with far more money in terms of transfer fees and wages. Including United.