Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Who cares if we do heavily rely on him? He's the third best player in the world, that's what he's there for.

Every team relies heavily on their best players. Chelsea do with Hazard, Arsenal do with Ramsey, United do with Rooney.

We have shown we can get results without Suarez too though.

Minimalist

Last time they came 2nd, they dropped to 7th the following season. That said, I can't see it. They'll be comfortably in the top four again and should yet again be competing for the title. Unless they lose Suarez this summer which changes things a bit.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Or.........Liverpool will strengthen a team that has the basis of an excellent side? Just a thought.
Brendan has a questionable record in the transfer market, which would mean you may not necessarily strengthen that much. If you fail to really go that extra step in terms of your squad, then the CL games will be difficult for you to handle. Seeing as your record under Rodgers in the league straight after Europa League games were far from good, it is fair to say it would be a big task for Liverpool to keep up in the league next season. Will you drop out of the two domestic cups at an early stage again next season? City and Arsenal had CL games, big cup games and the league to consider. You only had to focus on the league and had the element of surprise going for you.

You may challenge (I don't think you will), but you will not win the league.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
So has no one made the obvious "Newcastle and Southampton are our actual rivals now lolz" comment yet?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Brendan has a questionable record in the transfer market, which would mean you may not necessarily strengthen that much. If you fail to really go that extra step in terms of your squad, then the CL games will be difficult for you to handle. Seeing as your record under Rodgers in the league straight after Europa League games were far from good, it is fair to say it would be a big task for Liverpool to keep up in the league next season. Will you drop out of the two domestic cups at an early stage again next season? City and Arsenal had CL games, big cup games and the league to consider. You only had to focus on the league and had the element of surprise going for you.

You may challenge (I don't think you will), but you will not win the league.
He has a questionable record when going for unknown players. His record when he's spent decent money is fine. It looks like we'll be doing the latter this summer. How is the element of surprise a good thing? I'd much rather have that fear factor that you lot had under Ferguson and we had during our pomp. Having teams come to play you expecting to get tonked. Also, if it took 38 games for other managers to cotton on, then feck me that doesn't look good for the league.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well it's true. To be able to to compete in the CL and the Prem you effectively need two 11s pretty much. Liverpool have the weakest squad depth of anyone in the Prem challengers.
Well this is jargons. We competed in 2006-07 with a great first team and mediocre squad, yet we won the league and went out in the semi finals of the CL. Atletico won the LA Liga and are going into the CL final on fumes. Squads are overrated.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Well this is jargons. We competed in 2006-07 with a great first team and mediocre squad, yet we won the league and went out in the semi finals of the CL. Atletico won the LA Liga and are going into the CL final on fumes. Squads are overrated.
Dortmund finished 2nd and were in the final last year too.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
He has a questionable record when going for unknown players. His record when he's spent decent money is fine. It looks like we'll be doing the latter this summer. How is the element of surprise a good thing? I'd much rather have that fear factor that you lot had under Ferguson and we had during our pomp. Having teams come to play you expecting to get tonked. Also, if it took 38 games for other managers to cotton on, then feck me that doesn't look good for the league.
People didn't expect Liverpool to be that good going forward. You had a lot of momentum and it was going to be difficult to stop it (Chelsea eventually did I guess). Yes, the fear factor is also a good thing but playing something unknown is also difficult. Not many teams manage to create that fear (City did this season at home). It was a bit different for you as teams kinda knew your defence was wank, but your attack was really good so it was difficult to play against you lot.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
People didn't expect Liverpool to be that good going forward. You had a lot of momentum and it was going to be difficult to stop it (Chelsea eventually did I guess). Yes, the fear factor is also a good thing but playing something unknown is also difficult. Not many teams manage to create that fear (City did this season at home). It was a bit different for you as teams kinda knew your defence was wank, but your attack was really good so it was difficult to play against you lot.
Again, if managers didn't cotton onto this within a few months then English clubs are in dire hands.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I recall your form being a tad patchy earlier on. Draw at Newcastle, loss at Hull etc. It was after the back to back defeats against Chelsea and City where you had real momentum. That's what I meant by the element of surprise.
Not really. Top at Christmas. However, the start of December saw Liverpool start to thump teams.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I recall your form being a tad patchy earlier on. Draw at Newcastle, loss at Hull etc. It was after the back to back defeats against Chelsea and City where you had real momentum. That's what I meant by the element of surprise.
Newcastle and Hull both were in very good form the 1st half of the season. We should definitely be expected to beat Newcastle in those circumstances though.

It was hardly patchy form though. In between those games we won three out of four and the one we didn't win was the Goodison derby.

Kag

Gappy pissing off to Madrid will render most of this discussion fairly irrelevant unless they use that money very, very well.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

I think our squad that year was really good.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think Liverpool will do well to get in the top 4 next year! It is going to be 2 from 3 with us Arsenal and Pool fighting it out.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I think our squad that year was really good.
It really wasn't. Very good first team that ran out of steam towards the end and only managed to crawl to the title in the end and knocked out by Milan due to injuries.

mufcwarm92

Fletcher, O'Shea, Brown, Richardson, Eagles, Silvestre, Heinze, Ole, PIG.

"Really good" is pushing it.
It probably is, as is suggesting that you need 22 players. But half the players listed had sizeable and decent contributions and are much better than their equivalents at Liverpool IMO. You can add Park and discount Eagles who barely played.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Park and Giggs!
Shame on me for forgetting about Park. Goggs was in the first team though.

It probably is, as is suggesting that you need 22 players. But half the players listed had sizeable and decent contributions and are much better than their equivalents at Liverpool IMO. You can add Park and discount Eagles who barely played.
They definitely contributed their fair share. I can't comment on whether they are better than their equivalents at Liverpool, so we'll see their worth this coming season.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Can't help but Liverpool's 'collapse' is a tad overstated. It's not as if we completely bottled the title - one loss was enough to hand the advantage to City; an advantage which we'd done very well to gain in the first place.

Yes it did. Hilariously.

You were odds on favourites for the league, everything was falling in your favour, then you collapsed at the death.

The way you're talking, you'd think you'd seen out the league comfortably.
And the way you (and half of this forum) are talking, it's as if we were absolutely expected to win the league in the first place. We came from 7th to 2nd and a whisker away from the title. This somehow translates to us now having a calamitous season which will see us finishing 9th. The arrogance is astonishing.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Can't help but Liverpool's 'collapse' is a tad overstated. It's not as if we completely bottled the title - one loss was enough to hand the advantage to City; an advantage which we'd done very well to gain in the first place.

And the way you (and half of this forum) are talking, it's as if we were absolutely expected to win the league in the first place. We came from 7th to 2nd and a whisker away from the title. This somehow translates to us now having a calamitous season which will see us finishing 9th. The arrogance is astonishing.
You were expected to win the league a few weeks ago though.

Being odds on favourites for the league at any point is pretty big. Being odds on favourites with 3 games to play is pretty much a closed race.

I know you're all putting a brave face on it, and the party line is how absolutely wonderfully happy you all are, but it was a calamitous way to close the season. Especially given the 25 year context.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
I dont see who they can afford/get that will elevate them to a level where they can contend with the CL schedule and maintain a title run.
If Real push for Suarez and offer the right money he will absolutely go. Im interested in the Emre Can story, if Rodgers is continuing with a policy of finding rough diamonds it would suggest they dont have the wealth to go toe to toe with the big hitters. It will be an interesting summer to see what they do but for me Suarez is the key, if he goes they will suffer next year.

Maccaa

I think it can go two ways. The experience of this year could massively help them and we could see them challenging again, or the heartbreak of them just missing out on the title could break them. Its a hard one too call really, lets just hope there's another 20 years of them not winning it!

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Newcastle and Hull both were in very good form the 1st half of the season. We should definitely be expected to beat Newcastle in those circumstances though.

It was hardly patchy form though. In between those games we won three out of four and the one we didn't win was the Goodison derby.
I just had a quick look and it reads

Swansea 2 - 2 Liverpool
Liverpool 0 - 1 Southampton

Sunderland 1 - 3 Liverpool
Liverpool 3 - 1 Crystal Palace
Newcastle 2 -2 Liverpool
Liverpool 4 -1 WBA
Arsenal 2 - 0 Liverpool
Everton 3 - 3 Liverpool
Hull 3 - 1 Liverpool

You then win four (Spurs, Norwich, West Ham, Cardiff, scored a lot of goals as well) and then have the back to back defeats against City and Chelsea.

Bold where you dropped points. Maybe I was a tad harsh, but it was still a bit away from your later amazing form which saw you really challenge for the title.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool

Being odds on favourites for the league at any point is pretty big. Being odds on favourites with 3 games to play is pretty much a closed race.

I know you're all putting a brave face on it, and the party line is how absolutely wonderfully happy you all are, but it was a calamitous way to close the season. Especially given the 25 year context.
A closed race is certainly not one that can changed by the outcome of one match. Despite all the hype around our title chase, I remained wary throughout the latter stages - especially of Chelsea (despite thinking we'd do it).

Brave faces? Party lines? Are we living on the same planet? Leave the cliches out.

Look where you want, Liverpool fans are all bitterly disappointed that the dream didn't come true. But once the dust has cleared, the cold hard facts are that we've vastly improved as a football team. That can only bode well. Well, except on here.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
A closed race is certainly not one that can changed by the outcome of one match. Despite all the hype around our title chase, I remained wary throughout the latter stages - especially of Chelsea (despite thinking we'd do it).

Brave faces? Party lines? Are we living on the same planet? Leave the cliches out.

Look where you want, Liverpool fans are all bitterly disappointed that the dream didn't come true. But once the dust has cleared, the cold hard facts are that we've vastly improved as a football team. That can only bode well. Well, except on here.
Fair enough.

I think it's the classic 'If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor'.

The stars were aligned and it's unlikely you'll have so much fall in your favour for quite some time.

Ultimately it's another failed league season to add to the ones where you finished 7th, 5th, 3rd whatever.

goldenstatesplash

Expect Suarez to be as good as he was last season but still disappoint in the big games, provided he stays that is. Sturridge will struggle to replicate last season. I think Liverpool will finish 4th but am expecting them to do better than expected in the Champions League.
Expect more journo's to go into surgery to have their tongues removed from his arse, every ref to completely forget he's an absolute scumbag and award every dive and ignore every bit of scummery. Was an interesting side note to this season how the referees just decided to ignore his shite and give him every free kick they could regardless of how milked it was.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

For someone who seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth during our run of 15 wins, 3 draws, & 1 defeat, throughout the 2nd part of the season. Using the term - 'a brave face' - seems more than a little ironic coming from you.

redman5

Fair enough.

I think it's the classic 'If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor'.

The stars were aligned and it's unlikely you'll have so much fall in your favour for quite some time.

Ultimately it's another failed league season to add to the ones where you finished 7th, 5th, 3rd whatever.
It's the 2nd time in 6 years we've finished runners-up & hit a points total that would have won the league in certain years. That's hardly 'quite some time' is it ?

redman5

I dont see who they can afford/get that will elevate them to a level where they can contend with the CL schedule and maintain a title run.
If Real push for Suarez and offer the right money he will absolutely go. Im interested in the Emre Can story, if Rodgers is continuing with a policy of finding rough diamonds it would suggest they dont have the wealth to go toe to toe with the big hitters. It will be an interesting summer to see what they do but for me Suarez is the key, if he goes they will suffer next year.
Our owners stated when they took over that they'll back the manager fully in the transfer market. They proved it by letting Kenny loose with a £100 million. They've also proved it with their baseball team over in America. I can see them being a lot more cautious, considering the likes of Carroll, Downing, & Adam were allowed to play for our club. However, I don't think money will be a problem should the 'right players' become available. & we're obviously in a much better position than we were this time 12 months ago. The club, the manager, & the players, will now have a far greater appeal to any potential top player wanting to further his career.

redman5

We've got more than enough squad players who can come on a do a decent job when the team is coasting & the manager wants to take off key players to rest them. They're probably even good enough to play every now & then against the poorer sides in the PL. We need 2 or 3 quality signings that can elevate us to the next level. Players that will make a difference against the better sides in England & in Europe.

bishblaize

We've got more than enough squad players who can come on a do a decent job when the team is coasting & the manager wants to take off key players to rest them.
Who do you see in that category?

As far as I can tell most of your starts this season were split between four attackers (Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling) and four midfielders (Gerrard, Henderson, Leiva, Allen), with your only backup in those areas coming from Moses and Aspas.

cesc's_mullet

Get a haircut Hippy!
Supports
Arsenal
Lallana and Can?

Two handy additions who have their best years ahead of them. Rodgers is stepping it up.

redman5

Who do you see in that category?

As far as I can tell most of your starts this season were split between four attackers (Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho, Sterling) and four midfielders (Gerrard, Henderson, Leiva, Allen), with your only backup in those areas coming from Moses and Aspas.
We had a lot of players out on loan last season. Some (the younger ones) to gain experience, & the others, to keep the wage bill down in a season of non-European participation. I can see 3 or 4 those being in the squad next season, along with maybe 2,3, or possibly 4, new signings

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Our owners stated when they took over that they'll back the manager fully in the transfer market. They proved it by letting Kenny loose with a £100 million. They've also proved it with their baseball team over in America. I can see them being a lot more cautious, considering the likes of Carroll, Downing, & Adam were allowed to play for our club. However, I don't think money will be a problem should the 'right players' become available. & we're obviously in a much better position than we were this time 12 months ago. The club, the manager, & the players, will now have a far greater appeal to any potential top player wanting to further his career.
I will take a wait and see approach. Spain will be a huge pull for Suarez and the types of player Liverpool would need to make that squad on par with the rest of the big hitters will be targeted by said clubs

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
For someone who seemingly disappeared off the face of the earth during our run of 15 wins, 3 draws, & 1 defeat, throughout the 2nd part of the season. Using the term - 'a brave face' - seems more than a little ironic coming from you.
Sounds like you missed me? xx

Sadly, my posting has taken a nose-dive for well over 18 months now, on account of a new job. But I must admit RedCafe hasn't been a good place to post this past season, mostly due to the negativity surrounding the hopeless situation under Moyes. And yes, the unpleasantness was exacerbated by the place being swamped with enough over-excited Liverpool fans to make those pre-Crystanbul title celebrations at Anfield look like quaint tea parties.

The sky's a lot brighter now though. The Moyes curse is gone and Liverpool have pissed away what seemed at one point like a certain title win (thank you Steven Gerrard). :D

And seeing as every Liverpool fan on here, apart from poor long-suffering Dumbstar and the freakishly committed young Barney, is notorious for disappearing after bad results, you can hardly talk.

It's the 2nd time in 6 years we've finished runners-up & hit a points total that would have won the league in certain years. That's hardly 'quite some time' is it ?
The 'our points total would've won the league in certain years' trophy is certainly one that I'm very envious of. You'd probably have to go back to 2 points for a win days for United to have won that trophy this year...

What I meant were the conditions were extremely favourable for a Liverpool title win this year. Stumbling rivals, only the league to focus on, mostly unchanged 11's week to week, crucial refereeing calls, few serious injuries to key players etc. For the stars to align like that again would be most unlikely.