g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Can is the only properly successful signing there. For the money he cost Lallana has been nothing special, likewise Markovic, Manquillo and Moreno still need to prove themselves.

Your top 4 chances are very slim I'd say. Arsenal will finish ahead of you and one of Spurs/United/Southampton should be able to stay ahead of you too. For FA Cup your chance is basically 30%.
Can has exceeded expectations by a mile. Lallana has been good, he has something like the third or fourth best goals+assists per minute in our entire squad. It might even be second. Markovic has done a very good job since he's been called into the side at wing back. Manquillo is a solid, dependable player. He's not Cafu so he doesn't catch the eye as much as some fullbacks, but he's been defensively sound. Moreno has had a couple of 5/10 games a couple of 9/10 ones and the rest he's been 7/10. He looks even more dependable as a wing back.

but you have a difficult fixture list in terms of opposition and fixture congestion coming up with the Europa League and FA Cup to also contend with.
See, the thing is our competitors also have difficult fixtures coming up. We've also just been through a period of fixture congestion and dealt with it very well. No reason why we can't do that again. Many of our now important players weren't playing much at the start of the season (either because of injury or because the manager wasn't selecting them) so they should be able to handle playing more fixtures.

Yep...United are not only a good amount of points ahead of Liverpool but also beat them 3-0 in the only game this season. Liverpool would be favourites then :lol:
Er, I'm not sure you understand the concept of form.

For the money you spent on Lallana and the contribution he's made that was a pretty shit signing.
Again, he's definitely somewhere between second and fourth in terms of goals+assists per minute in our squad. Can't remember which at the moment, but I'll look it up in a bit.

Can't really see any of those signings being amongst the 3-4 best at their positions in the league within a few years.
I'd bet money that Can, Markovic and Moreno become up there with the best in the league in their positions. The first two I reckon we'll struggle to hold onto.

Rafateria

You have gone from champions elect last April with only three games to go to fighting for a top 4 finish.
And you have gone from 1 minute away from being Champions in 2012 to fighting for Top 4 (and probably only even money at best, and that's without any Euro 'encumbrance') after having spent £220m via 2 managers. Glass houses and all that jazz. Stick to the point.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
One of United or Arsenal will definately reach the semis , Liverpool may not .
Do you agree with Skybet that out of the three sides Liverpool have a better chance of reaching the semis so are therefore favourites to win the cup?

Therefore the 30% chance thing is not actually true?

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Just checked @Sarni @Orc

Lallana is behind only Sturridge in our squad in terms of goals+assists per minute in the league.
Sturridge has barely played though, has he? Lallana cost almost the same amount that we paid for Fabregas. More then we payed for Oscar.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
For the money you spent on Lallana and the contribution he's made that was a pretty shit signing. Can't really see any of those signings being amongst the 3-4 best at their positions in the league within a few years.
Very very tough to get real value for money in the market - just look at United's record last summer. Do any look really good value? You've had to pay an absolute premium for anything that may turn out decent.

That said, Can looks excellent business given his price and impact since he became a regular.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Sturridge has barely played though, has he? Lallana cost almost the same amount that we paid for Fabregas. More then we payed for Oscar.
Nonsense. Salaries are a huge difference between Lallana and Fabregas. Hidden costs that fans don't regard as pivotal.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
So pretty significant when you consider their worth over three or four years while also sustaining the integrity of a club's salary structure.
Agreed. Not so much on the cost over 4 years, but definitely with regards to the salary structure of the club.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Goals and assists per minute. Not total goals and assists.

Yes, he did cost the same amount. I'm not sure what this illustrates though other than Fabregas is clearly worth more than what you paid for him.

djembatheking

Do you agree with Skybet that out of the three sides Liverpool have a better chance of reaching the semis so are therefore favourites to win the cup?

Not really , with United having no european games that could well prove to be an advantage too . I just think Liverpool supporters are talking as if the Blackburn game is a done deal and taking other fixtures into account before the quarters I don`t agree , Blackburn may well surprise you .

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
About 2 million per annum in the difference.
So pretty significant when you consider their worth over three or four years while also sustaining the integrity of a club's salary structure.

Not sure where you got your figures for those wages from. There is absolutely no way we are paying Lallana 160k per week.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Not really , with United having no european games that could well prove to be an advantage too . I just think Liverpool supporters are talking as if the Blackburn game is a done deal and taking other fixtures into account before the quarters I don`t agree , Blackburn may well surprise you .
Obviously Blackburn will be taken seriously but the bookies clearly believe the draw puts Liverpool as favourite - kind of obvious really.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
And you have gone from 1 minute away from being Champions in 2012 to fighting for Top 4 (and probably only even money at best, and that's without any Euro 'encumbrance') after having spent £220m via 2 managers. Glass houses and all that jazz. Stick to the point.
Yet we came back and won it in 2013. Dont think you will be doing that this season.

Its 25 years of failure and counting in the league for Liverpool.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
The odds will change again after the quarter finals, with United or Arsenal being bookies favourites I'd imagine.

JoaquinJoaquin

So therefore, what's with the posturing about the ability and chances of either side.
You talk as if you guys are clearly the form team. As bad as we have been we have only lost one game in our last 19, so if anything we are hardly the team in worse form.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Just checked @Sarni @Orc

Lallana is behind only Sturridge in our squad in terms of goals+assists per minute in the league.
I wasn't aware of that, thought someone like Coutinho or Sterling should be ahead of him. Then again Lallana has played less than either of them, hasn't he? There was a period of time when he was blatantly out of favour and barely used.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Not sure where you got your figures for those wages from. There is absolutely no way we are paying Lallana 160k per week.
The figures I got were from the internet (that ever reliable source), and admittedly they are in dollars, not pounds. With Lallana reportedly earning about 4.2 million a year (or 75-80k a week) with Fabregas on something like 6.4 million.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
The odds will change again after the quarter finals, with United or Arsenal being bookies favourites I'd imagine.
Agreed. I was just taking issue with a post suggesting the 3 big teams in the draw have 30% chance each of winning it. The draw has rendered that untrue.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
You talk as if you guys are clearly the form team. As bad as we have been we have only lost one game in our last 19, so if anything we are hardly the team in worse form.
Liverpool ARE the form team right now in terms of results and performance. That's pretty much accepted.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Liverpool are coming up against a lot of their rivals for top 4 soon, United and Arsenal both have, so far, had a better run of results against these teams than Liverpool. Yes, you can say form is a factor but the only decent team in the league run you actually played was Tottenham.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool are coming up against a lot of their rivals for top 4 soon, United and Arsenal both have, so far, had a better run of results against these teams than Liverpool. Yes, you can say form is a factor but the only decent team in the league run you actually played was Tottenham.
We've beat Southampton, Spurs twice, drew against Arsenal and lost against United at OT. Not exactly shocking form.

thegregster

Liverpool ARE the form team right now in terms of results and performance. That's pretty much accepted.
Since the Arsenal game you probably have. You have played 8 games since then.

But you have only played 1 team from the top 6(Spurs) and 3(Spurs,West Ham,Swansea) from the top half of the table. Also they were all at home.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
That's because, by definition, there are only a small numbers of 'form teams' at any one time. Spurs were second to Liverpool in terms of form when they met. Most teams are not form teams nor are they top 4 rivals. That's just the way it is.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It all depends on the amount of games you take into account. Utd have probably been more solid over the last 20 games, Liverpool have been better over the last 10 (haven't checked, but I guess that must be the gist of it.

As with any statistic, you can pretty much spin it the way you want to: as a Liverpool fan, you're going to say that having better closer immediate form is more important, it shows recent improvement, whereas a Utd fan might argue that being more consistent over 20 games shows better strength, etc.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
It all depends on the amount of games you take into account. Utd have probably been more solid over the last 20 games, Liverpool have been better over the last 10 (haven't checked, but I guess that must be the gist of it.

As with any statistic, you can pretty much spin it the way you want to: as a Liverpool fan, you're going to say that having better closer immediate form is more important, it shows recent improvement, whereas a Utd fan might argue that being more consistent over 20 games shows better strength, etc.
Is form measured over 20 games? Genuine question. I mean you could say Chelsea are the form team based on the past 25 PL games.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Is form measured over 20 games? Genuine question. I mean you could say Chelsea are the form team based on the past 25 PL games.
No traditionally form is mainly the more recent games (I think the PL uses the last 6 games usually), which has its merits but is of course pretty arbitrary. Though given the term is 'form', it probably makes sense. But depending on what you want to show (improvement over the past couple of months or longer, just the last month, consistency, etc.), you can use a bigger sample size. In the long run, the only 'form' that matters is that over 38 games, and basically winning the league amounts to keeping the best form over 9 months. :D

thegregster

No traditionally form is mainly the more recent games (I think the PL uses the last 6 games usually), which has its merits but is of course pretty arbitrary. Though given the term is 'form', it probably makes sense. But depending on what you want to show (improvement over the past couple of months or longer, just the last month, consistency, etc.), you can use a bigger sample size. In the long run, the only 'form' that matters is that over 38 games, and basically winning the league amounts to keeping the best form over 9 months. :D
Its a historical thing. Many UK newspapers used to always have a last 6 game form table. It was to help people out by acting as a guide towards the pools.