Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I watched a lot of Liverpool games last season - for some reason - and the naivety displayed by the teams you played was astounding. It reminded me of the year City won the league in 2011/12, teams just didn't know what to do against them for some reason. The season after? Quite a different story.
No wishful thinking here at all. nuh uh.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I watched a lot of Liverpool games last season - for some reason - and the naivety displayed by the teams you played was astounding. It reminded me of the year City won the league in 2011/12, teams just didn't know what to do against them for some reason. The season after? Quite a different story.
Managers aren't thick. They won't have underestimated us for THIRTY EIGHT games.

Manucho the boss

Only when they are actively fought against with stronger forces - City and Chelsea receiving huge investment, for example.

The status quo will be reassumed this season.
I somewhat agree, there is a theory that wage budget is a very accurate assessment of future performance, the richest clubs will pay the biggest money to get back to where they need to be. It's difficult for a team like Liverpool to compete consistently on a much smaller wage budget. I believe you only paid Suarez that rumoured £200k a week as you realised it would only be until the Summer.

Chelsea, City, United and even Arsenal now, can afford to have international class backup players on large wages while I noticed Liverpool were forced to loan Reina out rather than pay him big money to sit on the bench.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
It's hilarious. Rodgers fluked the season. Also, our opponents were perpetually shit and naive and they won't be that next year. And United will definitely be playing like 7th never happened and back to a title challenge. CL will kill our league campaign, as it has all CL participants ever.

There's plenty of good arguments for why 4th would make for a decent enough season. And yet, the straws seem to be clutched tigher than ever.

RooneyLegend

Disappointing summer by liverpool. The look confused and are buying for the sake of buying for positions they hardly need any reinforcements in. Spending loads of cash on lallana and markovic when you have coutinho and sterling hardly makes any sense. Going this long without purchasing a fullback makes no sense either. They could also use a center mid or two. They've done little to replace suarez's efforts upfront.

Yes I'm aware that they can still do some good work in the market but at the rate they're going I can't see them doing anything to cover up the loss of their star player. I reckon the mood at the club will be low despite these signing sand depend on by how much we and arsenal improve, they'll struggle to make the top 4.

Its not impossible for a team to lose their best player and still improve(juve after losing zidane, atl madrid after losing falcao, inter milan losing ibra etc) but I'm not convinced they are gonna be able to pull it off.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
What does any of Arsenal, Mourinho or you have to do with us getting the points we did?

Not having to rotate was more than heavily enough offset with having no one to come off the bench for us.
Chelsea finished on your heels 2 points behind you. If they had a top class striker I think they have easily finished above you.

I also refuse to believe that our players would've had that season if a competent manager were in charge instead of Moyes. That's two sides that would've bumped you out of the top 4.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea finished on your heels 2 points behind you. If they had a top class striker I think they have easily finished above you.

I also refuse to believe that our players would've had that season if a competent manager were in charge instead of Moyes. That's two sides that would've bumped you out of the top 4.
What two sides? :confused:

Even though I quite agree that a competent manager would have done better than Moyes, it doesn't necessarily follow he would have got 80+ points for you and 'bumped us out of the top 4.'

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Disappointing summer by liverpool. The look confused and are buying for the sake of buying for positions they hardly need any reinforcements in. Spending loads of cash on lallana and markovic when you have coutinho and sterling hardly makes any sense. Going this long without purchasing a fullback makes no sense either. They could also use a center mid or two. They've done little to replace suarez's efforts upfront.

Yes I'm aware that they can still do some good work in the market but at the rate they're going I can't see them doing anything to cover up the loss of their star player. I reckon the mood at the club will be low despite these signing sand depend on by how much we and arsenal improve, they'll struggle to make the top 4.

Its not impossible for a team to lose their best player and still improve(juve after losing zidane, atl madrid after losing falcao, inter milan losing ibra etc) but I'm not convinced they are gonna be able to pull it off.
We did need reinforcements in attack. Last year all people were doing is bamging on about us not having a squad. We go out and address that and we get lambasted for it. We have brought in a midfielder. Emre Can. It's blatantly obvious we've been trying for Moreno too.

Deleted member 78215

Managers aren't thick. They won't have underestimated us for THIRTY EIGHT games.
Most teams played against you like you were the team that finished 7th. Managers might not be thick, but the Hughtons, Pardews, Allardyces etc. are hardly the most tactically aware; they were gobsmacked by your opening 10 minute salvo each game.

Anyway, you're not winning the league with an attack of Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge, when you're up against:

Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla, new striker
Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Costa
Silva, Nasri, Aguero, Dzeko

Not to mention, all three of those teams have better central midfields, defences and goalkeepers. Rodgers is a good manager, sure, but he's no genius.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The other teams are always lucky when it's not Man Utd winning stuff. Or the opposition weren't trying yet, unfairly, 'it's their cup final' when they play Man Utd.

Some of you lot are hilariously bitter.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It's amazing that you would say that considering you finished 7th in 13/14 and we finished 1st but then you finished above us the next season, it happens.
Ssssh, you'll anger the troll. It's best just to say that Liverpool are going to win the league, la.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Most teams played against you like you were the team that finished 7th. Managers might not be thick, but the Hughtons, Pardews, Allardyces etc. are hardly the most tactically aware; they were gobsmacked by your opening 10 minute salvo each game.

Anyway, you're not winning the league with an attack of Markovic, Lallana, Coutinho, Sturridge, when you're up against:

Ozil, Sanchez, Cazorla, new striker
Oscar, Hazard, Willian, Costa
Silva, Nasri, Aguero, Dzeko

Not to mention, all three of those teams have better central midfields, defences and goalkeepers. Rodgers is a good manager, sure, but he's no genius.
Funnily enough, the people considered to be "good managers" were also unable to stop our quick starts. See City and Arsenal at Anfield.

Deleted member 78215

Funnily enough, the people considered to be "good managers" were also unable to stop our quick starts. See City and Arsenal at Anfield.
Fergie got beaten 6-1 by Mancini's City ... What's your point? We didn't know how to deal with Silva, Toure, Zabaleta. Fast forward a season and we've walked the league ahead of them. The point is, Liverpool had a 'new' style that the league hadn't seen in a while and it shocked a lot of teams. You'll see a lot of Chelsea-esque performances next season and, quite frankly, you don't have the players to work through rigid defences.

I like how you sidestepped the massive gulf in quality between Liverpool and the other challengers, though.

Santos J

Isn't his release clause £8m or something? Good price for him that, especially considering you're getting more for Borini.

Irish-Red-7

The main reason we finished 2nd was Rodgers. He's still here.

As for the main reason you finished 7th. It remains to be seen how much Ferguson was the main reason you finished 1st the year before. You'll improve I am sure, but it's anyone's guess what you actual level is under a competent non-ferguson manager.
Why are you hyping up Rodgers? Look pal we both know about Suarezs quality and how important he was to Liverpool so don't start downplaying his ability. He was instrumental in you lot finishing second.

Moyes you would agree was the wrong choice yes, and not a competent manager. Any top manager wouldn't have dropped out of the top 4 last season with that squad, LvG will return us to the top 4.

Put it this way bud, next season will be very interesting a la 08/09.

Castia

Completely uninspired signings, they're paying premium fees for average players and just flooding their squad with shite. They were on the right track with Coutinho and Sturridge (and to some degree Sakho) but it looks like they are just buying for the sake of it now.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Completely uninspired signings, they're paying premium fees for average players and just flooding their squad with shite. They were on the right track with Coutinho and Sturridge (and to some degree Sakho) but it looks like they are just buying for the sake of it now.
What top quality players should they be after? Players like Sanchez won't move to Liverpool.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Fergie got beaten 6-1 by Mancini's City ... What's your point? We didn't know how to deal with Silva, Toure, Zabaleta. Fast forward a season and we've walked the league ahead of them. The point is, Liverpool had a 'new' style that the league hadn't seen in a while and it shocked a lot of teams. You'll see a lot of Chelsea-esque performances next season and, quite frankly, you don't have the players to work through rigid defences.

I like how you sidestepped the massive gulf in quality between Liverpool and the other challengers, though.
No one else in the league sets up a defence like Mourinho. If any other team attempted to do the same, I'd be confident of breaking them down.

You said that Pardew, Allardyce and the like are hardly tactically aware. Are Pellegrini and Arsene also tactically unaware?

Deleted member 78215

The other teams are always lucky when it's not Man Utd winning stuff. Or the opposition weren't trying yet, unfairly, 'it's their cup final' when they play Man Utd.

I don't think anybody in this thread has said that. I certainly haven't, if that was aimed at me.

I love how: Liverpool's best season in 20 years sees them finish second + losing their best player + title rivals strengthening and having better teams than Liverpool = Liverpool going to win the league.

Deleted member 78215

No one else in the league sets up a defence like Mourinho. If any other team attempted to do the same, I'd be confident of breaking them down.

You said that Pardew, Allardyce and the like are hardly tactically aware. Are Pellegrini and Arsene also tactically unaware?
No - I'm saying they weren't prepared for a) Liverpool's style and b) Liverpool's momentum. Again, I'll use the City example - they blew away teams that 11/12 year because it was an approach not really seen previously.

I just can't believe that you honestly think that you're going to be able to play that gallivanting style the coming season and get away with it. Rodgers' alternative plan to: Out of the blocks like dogs on heat was very underwhelming last season.

Anyway, we'll see.

Midnight1811

Not every player wants to live in London.
True, although that a kick in the teeth. Finally come close to winning the league, up until stevie slips and hands City the title at Palace, finish second your highest in year (macheda goal back in 09) and sanchez still chooses wenger over you. Thats madness.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I am still not sure how to appropriately assess their chances next season.

They will still bring a full back and a center half, probably a forward too (although it's probably going to be Remy). Their squad will be better but their first team is going to be noticably less powerful without Suarez. Thing is they were never going to properly replace Suarez at this point. Two or three years forward if they reach CL consistently they might be able to attract the top talent bur not now.

If they can get these three players I have mentioned they should at least be able to finish firmly in top 6 and make a top 4 challenge. They lack genuine quality all over the pitch though - everyone's good or decent or average, no one's world class.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea

I'd say Wenger is pretty tactically unaware in the big games. :lol:

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
No - I'm saying they weren't prepared for a) Liverpool's style and b) Liverpool's momentum.

I just can't believe that you honestly think that you're going to be able to play that gallivanting style the coming season and get away with it. Rodgers' alternative plan to: Out of the blocks like dogs on heat, was very underwhelming last season.

Anyway, we'll see.
How many games do they need to watch to be prepared? Which alternative plan are you talking about?

RooneyLegend

We did need reinforcements in attack. Last year all people were doing is bamging on about us not having a squad. We go out and address that and we get lambasted for it. We have brought in a midfielder. Emre Can. It's blatantly obvious we've been trying for Moreno too.
You don't sort the squad out until you've sorted out the first 11. Someone like can will get destroyed by big teams. Fact is pool have dropped 45 million quid to improve the squad? Madness. Suso could've been the squad boost for the coutinho position and the money better spend on addressing more important needs. The squad didn't let pool down much last season, lack of quality starters in certain positions did.

Deleted member 78215

That's not what I was saying. There were multiple. Which one was underwhelming?
Well it's not like they have names that I can refer to. Basically, any plan that wasn't the team busting their gut like maniacs at the start of each half and then 5 minutes towards the end if the result is not favourable.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You don't sort the squad out until you've sorted out the first 11. Someone like can will get destroyed by big teams. Fact is pool have dropped 45 million quid to improve the squad? Madness. Suso could've been the squad boost for the coutinho position and the money better spend on addressing more important needs. The squad didn't let pool down much last season, lack of quality starters in certain positions did.
It was absolutely the squad. We were fine in our strongest XI. Then if things don't go to plan, Moses comes on and we're down to ten men.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

Isn't his release clause £8m or something? Good price for him that, especially considering you're getting more for Borini.
Happy with that. Hard to imagine better value for a squad striker.

Annahnomoss

I actually don't think that Gerrard will be much worse this year than the last. He has already reached the physical decline he will for a while now and he has handled it brilliantly. I don't think he is anywhere near world class these days but the limited level he is at he is quite likely to continue playing at.

Pirlo is a year older and is playing the same role and hasn't noticeably declined physically the last few years. Their role is very limited and the team has to be set out just for them though and I don't think that will be possible for any team trying to be one of the best in the world or in England.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I don't think anybody in this thread has said that. I certainly haven't, if that was aimed at me.

I love how: Liverpool's best season in 20 years sees them finish second + losing their best player + title rivals strengthening and having better teams than Liverpool = Liverpool going to win the league.
Where have we said we will win the league? There is a difference between putting points across where we are saying the squad is being made stronger despite the obvious loss of our best player and getting carried away for next season.
All we are saying is don't write us off yet. You lot said last season others had better teams than us, City and Chelsea probably did yet we competed with them.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

:lol:

So precious.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
Liverpool have got plenty of money from the Suarez sale. They may yet sign some genuine quality and improve considerably.

As it stands now, they're a very good side, but not a contender. If they spent money wisely between now and the end of August on two-three top class players and not some squad reinforcements, their chances of winning things will get much better. Rodgers is a talented manager and he proved last season that he's capable of getting the best out of the players at his disposal.

The loss of Suarez is going to be tough for them, but I don't think they'll do a Tottenham, Rodgers is no AVB. Still, much will depend on who exactly they'll manage to sign.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Andy Heaton and Tony Evans seem to have some exciting information regarding transfers. From the sounds of it, they make it seem like we're in for a brilliant player. Heaton isn't usually one to go overboard regarding transfers so this has me excited.

Here's the tweet: Just had a call off @TonyEvansTimes, sworn me to secrecy like, but if it comes off, O M F G.

Marca are saying we're going to go back in with a €20m + €2m addons for Moreno and that Sevilla are likely to accept.

Last edited: