Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

RustyS

I'm willing to bet anything that Liverpool won't finish in the top 4. I would put a massive bet on it but 4/5 is not really worth it.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
As it stands, The liverpool team looks like this

Mignolet
Johnson-Agger-Sakho-Enrique
Gerrard-Henderson
Markovic/Lallanna-Coutinho-Sterling
Sturridge

you can see why people aren't rating them too highly at the moment. They've lost their best player and Gerrard is getting older. I'm sure people's opinion will chance once they sign more player but as it stands this team looks nothing special. Ofcourse it's easy for the idiots to say that United fans are bitter because they don't rate Liverpool/Arsenal etc.

KM

Andy Heaton and Tony Evans seem to have some exciting information regarding transfers. From the sounds of it, they make it seem like we're in for a brilliant player. Heaton isn't usually one to go overboard regarding transfers so this has me excited.

Here's the tweet: Just had a call off @TonyEvansTimes, sworn me to secrecy like, but if it comes off, O M F G.

Marca are saying we're going to go back in with a €20m + €2m addons for Moreno and that Sevilla are likely to accept.
Tony Evans is a journalist. If he had anything exciting to report, then he'd have first published it in his newspaper rather than telling anyone else.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
As it stands, The liverpool team looks like this

Mignolet
Johnson-Agger-Sakho-Enrique
Gerrard-Henderson
Markovic/Lallanna-Coutinho-Sterling
Sturridge

you can see why people aren't rating them too highly at the moment. They've lost their best player and Gerrard is getting older. I'm sure people's opinion will chance once they sign more player but as it stands this team looks nothing special. Ofcourse it's easy for the idiots to say that United fans are bitter because they don't rate Liverpool/Arsenal etc.
Markovic looks like an exciting player and I genuinely believe Lallana will be very good too.
To be honest that combination behind Sturridge looks very good to me.

Also we could have a bench "as it stands" of Reina/Flanagan/Agger/Allen/Borini/Lambert/Can which is far superior to anything we had last season, not counting Lucas/Suso/Ibe/Ilori and others...as good as City & Chelsea? Maybe not but it wasn't last season either.

You shouldn't judge players too soon, at least not until they have kicked a ball for us.

I'm willing to bet anything that Liverpool won't finish in the top 4. I would put a massive bet on it but 4/5 is not really worth it.
At those odds if you place a "massive bet" surely there is some value if you are that confident which you appear to be.

Last edited:

KM

Markovic looks like an exciting player and I genuinely believe Lallana will be very good too.
To be honest that combination behind Sturridge looks very good to me.

Also we could have a bench "as it stands" of Reina/Flanagan/Agger/Allen/Borini/Lambert/Can which is far superior to anything we had last season, not counting Lucas/Suso/Ibe/Ilori and others...as good as City & Chelsea? Maybe not but it wasn't last season either.

You shouldn't judge players too soon, at least not until they have kicked a ball for us.
Yes and that goes for both sides doesn't it?

Some here are mocking United fans for writing off Liverpool whilst doing the same with United.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Yes and that goes for both sides doesn't it?

Some here are mocking United fans for writing off Liverpool whilst doing the same with United.
Not written off United who will clearly be stronger, nor am I saying anything about Herrera , as I haven't seen enough of him to judge. I would guess many haven't seen much of Can or Markovic either yet seem to be writing off our chances without doing so.
It's going to be very tough this season.

Thisistheone

Barney is being very optimistic thinking Liverpool can win the league.

Chelsea have improved their first XI significantly. In key areas. Mourinho always does better 2nd season. Only finished 2 points behind Liverpool whilst juggling CL football all the way into April. Fabregas is already PL proven. Costa can't be worse than the ageing Eto'o.

Pellegrini is now familiar to English football and we're unlikely to see City struggling so much away from home like the beginning of last season. City are likely to strengthen as well with Mangala coming in. Yaya now staying is obviously key as well. Not having to replace their best player with someone of similar quality and hoping the new signing(s) hit the ground running.

Arsenal have improved their first XI with real world class quality in Sanchez who also threatens to bring the best out in their other world class player, Ozil. If they keep Ramsey etc fit then anything is possible with them.

There are positives for Liverpool, such as Sterling's continuing rise. But some question marks for pool fans:

Rodgers this year is having to juggle a bigger squad of 'his' players, for the first time in his career. Last year there only seemed to be a core of 12-14 players. This time it could be as many as 20. Be interesting to see how he handles it and if any player rocks the boat when not getting enough game time.

This also means that Rodgers side will not be as settled. Might be wrong but Liverpool seemed to play the same starting XI almost every week. And with players who had been at the club for a while.

Liverpool will need to get close to repeating their purple patch of last Feb-April for the whole campaign if they want to win the title. Doing this while playing in the CL and perhaps a longer FA Cup run will be unlikely imo. Without Suarez as well, who's presence alone could lift his team-mates or put the shits up the opposition.

Markovic is an exciting signing but who's to say he is going to fit in straight away? He might take a season to find his feet. Same with Can. Remy and Lambert are good squad players but we're still waiting for this superstar forward that Liverpool are suppose to be buying as a first team player. Can't think who it will be. di Maria or Cavani? Maybe but unlikely as of now.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
So if we do sign Remy, that means we'll have paid a combined fee of £12 million for him & Lambert. 2 players who scored 27 league goals between them last season. & we're going to receive about £20 million for Borini & Assaidi.

If someone did that on FM Manager they'd be accused of cheating.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Fee agreed for Remy. Their 'Suarez replacement' then as doubt Remy would go there to be a squad player.

Still begs the question of how they're going to fit everyone in (Barney said in another thread but that was with Sturridge as lone striker).

Markovic, Lallana both 20M+ players, Sterling and Coutinho already there, Sturridge and Remy expecting to start.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So if we do sign Remy, that means we'll have paid a combined fee of £12 million for him & Lambert. 2 players who scored 27 league goals between them last season. & we're going to receive about £20 million for Borini & Assaidi.

If someone did that on FM Manager they'd be accused of cheating.
Yeah it's a fairly solid signing and both Remy and Lambert should do decent jobs. You'll just need to hope you can keep Sturridge fit and he keeps up last seasons form though since if you're looking for the title, you probably wouldn't want Remy or Lambert as your main striker to rely on for goals. Both should be good squad players who will grab a decent number of goals, but neither of them are up in that top echelon if you know what I mean.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why are Newcastle selling Remy for such a low fee? Is his contract up?
Remy was QPR's. They had it so he could go for low fee to top 4 club (£8.5m fee was for any of the top four), increasing by increments going down the league, so if he was to go to a relegation contender who'd be competing with QPR it'd be very expensive and out of their budget. Basically selling him cheap so a club lower down the table doesn't buy him.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Remy was QPR's. They had it so he could go for low fee to top 4 club (£8.5m fee was for any of the top four), increasing by increments going down the league, so if he was to go to a relegation contender who'd be competing with QPR it'd be very expensive and out of their budget. Basically selling him cheap so a club lower down the table doesn't buy him.
Ahh, that's a fairly interesting clause. Thanks.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Yeah it's a fairly solid signing and both Remy and Lambert should do decent jobs. You'll just need to hope you can keep Sturridge fit and he keeps up last seasons form though since if you're looking for the title, you probably wouldn't want Remy or Lambert as your main striker to rely on for goals. Both should be good squad players who will grab a decent number of goals, but neither of them are up in that top echelon if you know what I mean.
Even with Suarez gone, the one thing I doubt will change is that we'll still continue with our attacking policy, which in turn will mean we'll continue to create lots of chances. Any decent striker should be able to get his decent quota of goals playing in such a side.

The season before Rodgers came, Luis Suarez scored 11 league goals in 31 matches. In Rodgers first 2 seasons in charge, Suarez netted 54 league goals in 66 games, & has from being a very good player, to a truly world-class striker. I think a lot of people are underplaying the effect & influence our manager has had, not just on the rise of Liverpool, but also on the man we've just sold for 3 times the amount we paid for him.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Rodgers has been dining out on Suarez. We'll see what he's really made of now he's got his own players in.

Interesting transfer strategy so far. Sell one world class player. Buy 3 players with a third of his ability. Fail safe logic.

Irish-Red-7

Rodgers has been dining out on Suarez. We'll see what he's really made of now he's got his own players in.

Interesting transfer strategy so far. Sell one world class player. Buy 3 players with a third of his ability. Fail safe logic.
Love their business so far to be totally honest pal..

Course he was bud, overrated by the scouse and now they will downplay Suarez even though he carried that club to second place.. Rodgers hasn't the best record of bringing players in, and that will continue this year. Sanchez fair enough would have been quality for them and I'm delighted he rejected their offer.

Lambert, Remy, Origi,Lallana, Can and Markovic.. That's 70m right there, that club is taking doing a "Spurs" to the next level...

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Even with Suarez gone, the one thing I doubt will change is that we'll still continue with our attacking policy, which in turn will mean we'll continue to create lots of chances. Any decent striker should be able to get his decent quota of goals playing in such a side.

The season before Rodgers came, Luis Suarez scored 11 league goals in 31 matches. In Rodgers first 2 seasons in charge, Suarez netted 54 league goals in 66 games, & has from being a very good player, to a truly world-class striker. I think a lot of people are underplaying the effect & influence our manager has had, not just on the rise of Liverpool, but also on the man we've just sold for 3 times the amount we paid for him.
That's true, but to be fair it was clear before Rodgers came to Liverpool that Suarez was a player with a lot of quality. Lambert and Remy are good strikers, but neither of them will be anywhere near the level of Suarez since he's one of the best strikers in the world. Both will score goals and have chances created for them, but you may struggle a little bit if you lose Sturridge to injury since he's your best striker.

Castia

Remy and Lambert strikeforce. The Champions League better be prepared!

Richard Cranium

Waiting to sell Borini in order to buy Remy makes me question the £100m warchest Rodgers apparently has. The way he's spent the first ~£60m or so, I think we could give him £300m and we need not worry.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think they've bought too many players with potential and players that can 'do the job' considering this is the season where they have to cement themselves in the top 4. Obviously they needed quantity but I'm not sure if they've gotten enough immediate quality in.

They also really need to sort that defence out. From what I've heard about Moreno he isn't even that good and Southampton are standing firm over Lovren. If they sort their defence out and maybe add a player of real quality then I can see them finishing in the top 4.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Happy with Remy for 8 mill, another who can play anywhere across the front 3 and guarantees goals.

If you'd told Liverpool fans a couple of months ago that they'd sell Suarez and would be putting a brave face on signing Rickie Lambert and Loic Remy, they'd have laughed at you.
Excellent business for £12 mill. No brainer squad signings.

Yep. Not like we have Sturridge, or are in the market for another attacker.

Castia

:)

Interesting to see how well Sturridge does without Suarez though, they both played a big part in each others success last season. If his link up play with either Lambert or Remy is crap it could completely ruin his game.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
For £12m not bad back up strikers. Given we may sell Assaidi and Borini for around £20m.

We can't wait for the Champions League, will you be watching us in it?

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Fee agreed for Remy. Their 'Suarez replacement' then as doubt Remy would go there to be a squad player.

Still begs the question of how they're going to fit everyone in (Barney said in another thread but that was with Sturridge as lone striker).

Markovic, Lallana both 20M+ players, Sterling and Coutinho already there, Sturridge and Remy expecting to start.
He'll be here as a squaddie. We're going to have 50 (hopefully more) games next season. I still think we'll bring in two more attacking players, Origi and one other.

caid

Interesting to see how well Sturridge does without Suarez though, they both played a big part in each others success last season. If his link up play with either Lambert or Remy is crap it could completely ruin his game.
Wishful thinking imo. They'll score goals.
Thankfully gerrard is going to continue in dm though so they'll concede a crap load too :)

No seriously i just dont rate him. I know its a pointless argument to have with you guys but while hes sitting in front of your back 4 (whoever they are) ill fancy us to overtake you.
Haven't seen emre can and know next to nothing about him though so, there you go.

I also find people putting pirlo and gerrard in the same sentence comical tbh.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Just out of interest, who do you reckon that will be?

A proper goal scorer or someone to play across the front 3? There isn't that many high profile signings available.
Haven't a clue to be honest! However, it might depend on how we use Coutinho, Markovic, Lallana and Sterling. Personally think that's an exciting group of players.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool

Sterling's link up will suffer more than Sturridge's. Sterling and Suarez linked up better than Sturridge and Suarez.

Irish-Red-7

I've seen reports about Shaqiri, but that seems to have died off.

I just think that if Liverpool went for a big name striker.. Who is available and realistically gettable.

Was chatting to me mate about this yesterday and he reckoned Benzema would be available, providing of course Falcao went to Real.. I said no chance but you get my drift.

Costa to Chelsea, was that a case of Chelsea getting there quicker or did Rodgers lose interest... Last summer was a different story with you lot linked.

@johnny boy

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
To be fair last season most people would say we had a weaker squad than those then too.

World Class is a term used far too often, Rooney & Mata are not "world class" and neither are some of the others.
In fairness you probably did but the way you set up almost completely eradicated any weaknesses your team had, I reckon you'll be good next year as long as you sign a very good CB and maybe a new LB. You've got less work than we have, I still want another 2 CMs and a CB.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Managers aren't thick. They won't have underestimated us for THIRTY EIGHT games.
Maybe for the first part of the season up until January but after that you were just unstoppable.
Disappointing summer by liverpool. The look confused and are buying for the sake of buying for positions they hardly need any reinforcements in. Spending loads of cash on lallana and markovic when you have coutinho and sterling hardly makes any sense. Going this long without purchasing a fullback makes no sense either. They could also use a center mid or two. They've done little to replace suarez's efforts upfront.

Yes I'm aware that they can still do some good work in the market but at the rate they're going I can't see them doing anything to cover up the loss of their star player. I reckon the mood at the club will be low despite these signing sand depend on by how much we and arsenal improve, they'll struggle to make the top 4.

Its not impossible for a team to lose their best player and still improve(juve after losing zidane, atl madrid after losing falcao, inter milan losing ibra etc) but I'm not convinced they are gonna be able to pull it off.
Ours has been worse, we're still 3 players off being a team ready to challenge for anything.