Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It's a good transfer window for them, all in all, so far. They've added a lot of depth. However, there's still a lot of work to be done there. I don't think their stating XI is any better than last season and their defense is far from impressive.

However, the biggest question for them is which Gerrard will turn up once the season starts. The 2013/14 (2nd) best midfielder in the PL or the embarrassment from the WC. If he can't replicate his form from last season, I won't be bothered one bit even if they sign all the strikers and wingers in Europe.
Aye - I reckon that's a bit of a crucial point. Brenton will have to show some balls and drop Stevie if he isn't up to scratch. As it stands it looks to me as though Stevie is still a given starter - at least in the eyes of most Liverpool fans.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
So i know there's still time for more possible signing to come in(surely need a few defenders) but what do Pool fan's think their starting XI will look like next season?
Hard to say at the moment:

Mignolet, Flanagan, New centre back, Sakho, New left back; Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana ; Coutinho, Sterling ; Sturridge

Bench - Keeper, Johnson, Agger, Can, Markovic, Ibe , Borini/Remy

EDIT - forgot about Lambert, no room for Allen, Enrique, Skrtel...hmm I really don't know!

Ibe is definitely one to watch, maybe too soon for Rossiter, Petersen & Coady, perhaps in the Carling Cup.

Last edited:

Empire

Mignolet, Flanagan, New centre back, Sakho, New left back; Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana ; Coutinho, Sterling ; Sturridge

Lambert?

And is Borini worth £14m? That seems a good deal for me.

John_Jensen

Something like:

Mignolet; Johnson, New Signing (Lovren?), Sakho, New Signing (Moreno?); Gerrard, Henderson, Lallana; Sterling, Sturridge, New Signing

So the 'New Signing' up front, you're going to bring in a big name that will keep the likes of Markovic & Remy on the bench? I've heard the Reus rumours and some murmurs about Balotelli but has there been any concrete links to anyone else?

The squad has definitely been beefed up, which was needed, with the likes of Markovic & Can but i'd share some of the opinions on here that the starting XI may be slightly weaker. I guess we'll see how much of last season's performance was down to Suarez & how how much was down to Brendan.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Aye - I reckon that's a bit of a crucial point. Brenton will have to show some balls and drop Stevie if he isn't up to scratch. As it stands it looks to me as though Stevie is still a given starter - at least in the eyes of most Liverpool fans.
Even if he does drop him though, for whom? They're not winning the PL with Henderson and Allen / Can in midfield.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
What about that ugly FB? Didn't he do alright last season?
He'll be competing with Johnson.

So the 'New Signing' up front, you're going to bring in a big name that will keep the likes of Markovic & Remy on the bench? I've heard the Reus rumours and some murmurs about Balotelli but has there been any concrete links to anyone else?

The squad has definitely been beefed up, which was needed, with the likes of Markovic & Can but i'd share some of the opinions on here that the starting XI may be slightly weaker. I guess we'll see how much of last season's performance was down to Suarez & how how much was down to Brendan.
I would rotate Sterling and Markovic on one wing and bring in another winger to rotate with Ibe on the other. The Reus and Balotelli links both seem like shite.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Lambert?

And is Borini worth £14m? That seems a good deal for me.
I edited as I forgot about him. Borini probably isn't but if that's what Sunderland are prepared to pay it's good money for us.

I really wanted to include Ibe as he could be a great option from the bench, that said I am sure clubs will be looking at him on loan. Hope we keep him. Either way he is a real prospect.

John_Jensen

EDIT - forgot about Lambert, no room for Allen, Enrique, Skrtel...hmm I really don't know!

Ibe is definitely one to watch, maybe too soon for Rossiter, Petersen & Coady, perhaps in the Carling Cup.

Depending on the players you bring in that's a decent lineup, but there'll be a need for Coutinho to perform week in, week out in the absence of Suarez.

Sterling is going to be a player if he keeps focused, i think he could have a big year.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Depending on the players you bring in that's a decent lineup, but there'll be a need for Coutinho to perform week in, week out in the absence of Suarez.

Sterling is going to be a player if keeps focused, i think he could have a big year.
I agree, Coutinho was a little inconsistent last season. To be honest how it will work with him, Markovic, Lallana and Sterling I am not sure. Ibe looks sharp so far in pre-season too.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Even if he does drop him though, for whom? They're not winning the PL with Henderson and Allen / Can in midfield.
Probably not. Winning the PL is a stretch and a half for 'em anyway. Brenton needs to replace Gerrard sooner rather than later, though - that's my feeling. Both in terms of what he does on the pitch (which is adequate at best in my book) and in terms of his overall status at the club.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Probably not. Winning the PL is a stretch and a half for 'em anyway. Brenton needs to replace Gerrard sooner rather than later, though - that's my feeling. Both in terms of what he does on the pitch (which is adequate at best in my book) and in terms of his overall status at the club.
Replacing him is impossible.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Replacing him is impossible.
In the latter sense - yes. In the former sense, though - that should be more than possible. The question is to what extent the one sense gets in the way of the other - you know what I mean, I'm sure.

bishblaize

For many years Liverpool had a squad built of the 'best of the rest'. Players too good for most clubs in the league, but not good enough for the genuine title challengers. Feels like they're heading there again.

Remy is a great example. Too good for Newcastle, not good enough for any of the other clubs challenging for the league.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
For many years Liverpool had a squad built of the 'best of the rest'. Players too good for most clubs in the league, but not good enough for the genuine title challengers. Feels like they're heading there again.

Remy is a great example. Too good for Newcastle, not good enough for any of the other clubs challenging for the league.
Why not, he scored goals for Newcastle , he can score them for Liverpool - same league isn't it. For £8m he is a bargain.

Ludens the Red

Jordan Ibe looks quite a scary prospect. His ability to carry the ball and to cross with both feet is really impressive. Plus he's well built, bastards!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Jordan Ibe looks quite a scary prospect. His ability to carry the ball and to cross with both feet is really impressive. Plus he's well built, bastards!
Yeah, looks a top talent. I remmber reading about him making his debut in the league at 15!

Anyone know how much they paid Wycombe for him?

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
What is the name of the young midfielder in your ranks?

He played against our U21 and looked a class apart. Benitez really turned that Liverpool academy around.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Ibe looked unplayable against our youth - much like Sterling a year or so before.
Might sound daft but we see him as Sterling mark2, could easily follow the same path.

What is the name of the young midfielder in your ranks?

He played against our U21 and looked a class apart. Benitez really turned that Liverpool academy around.
Jordan Rossiter is the one that springs to mind. He came on against Preston today, only 17 and looks a real prospect.