Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
People said the same in 1977 when Kevin Keegan left. We won the European Cup the following year.

People said the same in 1987 when Ian Rush left. We won the title the following year.

People said the same in 2004 when Michael Owen left. We won the Champions League the following year.

The performance of our promising young manager will have a far greater bearing on what happens to us than the loss of Luis Suarez.
You did sign Barnes and Beardsley. Two of the very best around at the time in the league. It would be like selling Suarez and buying Oscar and Hazard or two other top class proven attacking players.

Back then Liverpool could sign players from any club bar Us and Everton.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
He's bang average mate.
I think he's ok, not world class but was understudy to Cole and Azpilecuetta so never really given a proper chance. Much like Sturridge.

He's better than Flannagan so already improving a title chasing team.

Plugsy

Unless I'm missing something, have they paid much attention to the defence so far?

Cina sucks

On probation. Man Utd'll Never Walk Alone
I think he's ok, not world class but was understudy to Cole and Azpilecuetta so never really given a proper chance. Much like Sturridge.

He's better than Flannagan so already improving a title chasing team.
I actually think Flanagan was extremely good last season and will only get better - surely he should start matches now? Bertrand will make a good back-up LB I feel. First choice for a CL club with ambitions? I am not convinced.

Glanville95

I think their signings as a collective are superior than the signings Spurs made to replace Bale, but are signings that still won't compensate for the loss of Suarez. They've added good depth to the squad and some players that will immediately impact their first eleven and core team with Markovic and Lovren, but the former is the only intimidating signing. However, if they can sign Sanchez also, that would be a whole different proposition together entirely.

With that in mind and along with far more fixtures, I can't see them challenging for the title next season. In fact I'd be incredibly surprised if they do and they've probably blown their best chance of winning the title for a good few years at the very least.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I actually think Flanagan was extremely good last season and will only get better - surely he should start matches now? Bertrand will make a good back-up LB I feel. First choice for a CL club with ambitions? I am not convinced.
The entire reason he left Chelsea was because he wanted to be first choice and play week in and week out. Don't know if he'd agree to go to Liverpool and be on the bench behind someone who's even younger than he is and who isn't nearly as experienced.

ThanksBoss26

Why do we get compared to Spurs rather than Arsenal when they lost RvP?
I assume it's because it looks like (at the moment at least) there will be more of a scattergun approach to strengthening your squad with 6,7,8 players as opposed to spending the money on maybe 2-3 really top notch players. This is what Spurs did last year.

Time will tell if that's the correct approach. Personally, I'm not convinced it is.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
I assume it's because it looks like (at the moment at least) there will be more of a scattergun approach to strengthening your squad with 6,7,8 players as opposed to spending the money on maybe 2-3 really top notch players. This is what Spurs did last year.

Time will tell if that's the correct approach. Personally, I'm not convinced it is.
Again, we'd be buying 6 or 7 players whatever Suarez did. The only difference is we probably now need an additional player to replace him as best we can.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Luis Suarez directly contributed to around 45 goals and who knows how many just due to his mere presence and menace. Who could you possibly sign to make up for that? It's not like Rodgers is going to turn good players into world class ones just because you had a brilliant season last term.

Yes, he's a very good manager but he'll be going up against Pellegrini who's now had a year to settle and get used to things, Mourinho the same and with a much stronger squad, Arsenal are always there about and look to be signing Sanchez, and us who have one of the worlds best manager. All four of these sides look stronger to me.
The season before he scored 23 league goals, & had god knows how many assists, yet we still only finished in 7th place. The reason we did so well last season was down to a team effort, in which Suarez played the key part. The 10 league games he missed through suspension saw us win 7, draw 2, & lose 1. We thrashed Newcastle 6-0 too at their place during his absence.

The manager, & the team, will adapt to his loss. For all we know we could even become a better side without him. Goalscorers by their very nature generally tend to grab all the headlines. I recall Everton signing Gary Lineker in 1985 after they'd won the league. He scored something like 30 league goals in 1986, yet Everton won nothing. After selling him, they won the title again in 1987. For all the goals & adulation RVN enjoyed during his time at OT, United only won 1 league title. If I'm not mistaken, that was your most barren period in terms of winning PL's under Fergie.

I'm not worried about other teams/managers. We'll only concern ourselves with the likes of City, Chelsea, United, & Arsenal when we come to play them. & anyway, apparently Suarez couldn't hack it against better sides. So it's not like we'll miss him in the big games is it ? It's what Rodgers does that I'm interested in. Luis Suarez might not be in the team anymore, but it's not as though we'll be playing with 10 men every game. A lot hinges on how well, & how quickly, some of the new lads settle in. If most of them can hit the ground running, then I see no reason why we can't put in another strong challenge next season.

Cina sucks

The entire reason he left Chelsea was because he wanted to be first choice and play week in and week out. Don't know if he'd agree to go to Liverpool and be on the bench behind someone who's even younger than he is and who isn't nearly as experienced.
Flanagan, is...that...YOU?

ThanksBoss26

We would be buying bulk regardless of what Suarez is doing.
I understand that you needed to strengthen as you'll have more games this year, but in my opinion you will suffer from needing to bed them all in. I think you should perhaps have concentrated on maybe just 4 or 5 new players. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, but I think that will prove a mistake.

Cina sucks

I understand that you needed to strengthen as you'll have more games this year, but in my opinion you will suffer from needing to bed them all in. I think you should perhaps have concentrated on maybe just 4 or 5 new players. Just my opinion, I could be wrong, but I think that will prove a mistake.
They could say the same about us with all these new signings we have/will be bringing in.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Flanagan - 35 Premier League starts. 1 international cap.
Bertrand - 42 Premier League starts. 2 international caps.

Not exactly huge difference.

Think Bertrand would start ahead of him though.

redman5

I think you'll find - injuries permitting - our starting line-up against Southampton will contain 8 or 9 of the same players that featured in most of our games last season.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
The season before he scored 23 league goals, & had god knows how many assists, yet we still only finished in 7th place. The reason we did so well last season was down to a team effort, in which Suarez played the key part. The 10 league games he missed through suspension saw us win 7, draw 2, & lose 1. We thrashed Newcastle 6-0 too at their place during his absence.

The manager, & the team, will adapt to his loss. For all we know we could even become a better side without him. Goalscorers by their very nature generally tend to grab all the headlines. I recall Everton signing Gary Lineker in 1985 after they'd won the league. He scored something like 30 league goals in 1986, yet Everton won nothing. After selling him, they won the title again in 1987. For all the goals & adulation RVN enjoyed during his time at OT, United only won 1 league title. If I'm not mistaken, that was your most barren period in terms of winning PL's under Fergie.

I'm not worried about other teams/managers. We'll only concern ourselves with the likes of City, Chelsea, United, & Arsenal when we come to play them. & anyway, apparently Suarez couldn't hack it against better sides. So it's not like we'll miss him in the big games is it ? It's what Rodgers does that I'm interested in. Luis Suarez might not be in the team anymore, but it's not as though we'll be playing with 10 men every game. A lot hinges on how well, & how quickly, some of the new lads settle in. If most of them can hit the ground running, then I see no reason why we can't put in another strong challenge next season.
See, to me that sounds like exactly what Tottenham supports said last summer when trying to justify the Bale sale and to console themselves. That they'd be a better team who isn't reliant in a single player to carry them. They went out and bought a bunch of average players and one very good one in Eriksen. I can see exactly the same thing happening here with you guys.

Also, what's to say last season wasn't just a flash in the pan in regards to Rodgers? That he had so many things go his way that made him seem better than he actually is. I'll use Laudrup as an example. Did a fantastic job at Swansea two seasons ago and was hyped beyond belief and was even linked with the Real Madrid job. Then expectations grew and he fell on his face the following season. What if last season was as good as it gets with him?

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Can seems to be doing everything right off the pitch so far. Great first interview, donating £50,000 to Alder Hey and now he's taken the number 23 and is going on about what an honour it is to have Carra's shirt number.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Flanagan - 35 Premier League starts. 1 international cap.
Bertrand - 42 Premier League starts. 2 international caps.

Not exactly huge difference.

Think Bertrand would start ahead of him though.
Bertrand is 25. That's not much experience for a player his age.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Benfica fans seemed pissed off at the prospect of losing Markovic for €25m.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
See, to me that sounds like exactly what Tottenham supports said last summer when trying to justify the Bale sale and to console themselves. That they'd be a better team who isn't reliant in a single player to carry them. They went out and bought a bunch of average players and one very good one in Eriksen. I can see exactly the same thing happening here with you guys.

Also, what's to say last season wasn't just a flash in the pan in regards to Rodgers? That he had so many things go his way that made him seem better than he actually is. I'll use Laudrup as an example. Did a fantastic job at Swansea two seasons ago and was hyped beyond belief and was even linked with the Real Madrid job. Then expectations grew and he fell on his face the following season. What if last season was as good as it gets with him?
The back end of the 2013 season we were excellent too. It was overshadowed because we finished 7th.

redman5

Brendan Rodgers also did a fantastic job at Swansea, which earned him a crack at a big job managing Liverpool. He's now doing a fantastic job in his big job at Liverpool.

Can you see the subtle difference between him & Laudrup ?

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Benfica fans seemed pissed off at the prospect of losing Markovic for €25m.
Because he´s a very good player and specially because they will get nowhere near 25 million. Partizan will get 20% of that and a fund will get 10%. This deal comes after they sold Garay for 6 million where they got 2 million (plus 1 million previously from the fund) which makes it a deal where Benfica had a 2 million loss. They are very pissed at the President.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Brendan Rodgers also did a fantastic job at Swansea, which earned him a crack at a big job managing Liverpool. He's now doing a fantastic job in his big job at Liverpool.

Can you see the subtle difference between him & Laudrup ?
They will never see it with Rodgers. Ever. Its all Roberto Martinez, dontchaknow? ;)

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Because he´s a very good player and specially because they will get nowhere near 25 million. Partizan will get 20% of that and a fund will get 10%. This deal comes after they sold Garay for 6 million where they got 2 million (plus 1 million previously from the fund) which makes it a deal where Benfica had a 2 million loss. They are very pissed at the President.
Apparently, from another website, Benfica get 12.5m and Pini Zhahava gets the other 12.5m. That's why they're a little irate.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Apparently, from another website, Benfica get 12.5m and Pini Zhahava gets the other 12.5m. That's why they're a little irate.
Heh it´s even worse then. You still have to discount 20% to Partizan. Great addition for your team. Him and Sterling should make a very good attacking combo. Thought Mourinho would want to combine him with Hazard

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I expect big things from Sterling next season. He got better and better as the season wore on, even to the point of shouldering the main attacking responsibility at the end of the season.

Cina sucks

Sterling is a superb little player - really enjoy watching him play.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
Heh it´s even worse then. You still have to discount 20% to Partizan. Great addition for your team. Him and Sterling should make a very good attacking combo. Thought Mourinho would want to combine him with Hazard
He wouldn't have started there over Willian. They have 3 players that play in his position so it would've been pointless to sign him.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
He wouldn't have started there over Willian. They have 3 players that play in his position so it would've been pointless to sign him.
It´s a pretty long season and why wouldn´t he be able of starting instead of Willian? He has the potencial to become a better player than him.

Orc

Supports
Chelsea
It´s a pretty long season and why wouldn´t he be able of starting instead of Willian? He has the potencial to become a better player than him.
He's got the potential to be, yes, but isn't currently. Willian was one of their most important players last season. Then they have Schürrle and Salah who they just bought. Just no room there.