Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
he was the real deal. i don't think his failure so far has anything to do with his footballing ability, which is extremely high.
As I said, I rate him highly. But 'superstar' status is more than just ability, and I don't think that's the type of signing he was.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I'm not seeing your point here. Spurs clearlt did attempt to replace Bale with a superstar signing like Lamela. He's been a failure so far which is entirely irrelevant to your original point.
This is so wrong, Spurs signed many midfielders/wingers to try to compensate Bale's impact. Lamela alone wasn't enough

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He's apparently handed a tramsfer request in and is threatening to strike.
Berbatov and Modric did the same, didn't make much difference in the end.

Liverpool and Man Utd have just filled Southampton's bank account with £60 million. They don't need money and politically, it would be quite silly for their board to sell another player.

Pochettino is apparently also looking at Lovren, Schneiderlin and Rodriguez. I'm sure all 3 of them are gettable, I just think we/ Liverpool/ any other interested clubs will have to pay well above market rate.

In fact, your own link above agrees. 20 million for him and they still turned it down.

Richard Cranium

Liverpool fans seem to be in denial that losing Suarez would be a massive blow to them. They'd probably have finished 5/6th without him this season. You can't just go out and buy another top bracket player. We learnt that with Ronaldo. No doubt they'll waste the money buying overrated average players for £25m a pop.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
If the Suarez transfer goes through, Comolli will have been the one who brought two of the three highest transfers in history to their clubs in Bale and Suarez. Incredible that. Looking back on Comolli's dealings only Carroll and Downing turned out to be proper flops.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
If the Suarez transfer goes through, Comolli will have been the one who brought two of the three highest transfers in history to their clubs in Bale and Suarez. Incredible that. Looking back on Comolli's dealings only Carroll and Downing turned out to be proper flops.
He bought loads of dross without them being total flops though. He almost sank St Etienne too.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Comolli is quite good at buying (relatively) cheap, often young players, who are then sold on for a profit later.

Unfortunately, he isn't very good at identifying where the weaknesses are in a squad and finding appropriate players for those positions.

He bought a crapload of shit players as well.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Liverpool fans seem to be in denial that losing Suarez would be a massive blow to them. They'd probably have finished 5/6th without him this season. You can't just go out and buy another top bracket player. We learnt that with Ronaldo. No doubt they'll waste the money buying overrated average players for £25m a pop.
I think they have spent most of the Suarez money already. £40million so far. I can see then buying Lovren for £20mil and then spending only another £10-20mil max.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I think they have spent most of the Suarez money already. £40million so far. I can see then buying Lovren for £20mil and then spending only another £10-20mil max.
Nah, they ain't poor. Wasted 80 odd mil on Carroll et al in one window I think.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Nah, they ain't poor. Wasted 80 odd mil on Carroll et al in one window I think.
FSG want to make a profit. They have lost around £100mil so far. They need to stop losing money for FFP.

bishblaize

I think they were planning to spend £60M and now have the Suarez money on top.

However transfer fees are not likely to be the problem, wages are. Suarez was on £200Kpw (reportedly) but while the £70M they may get for him could almost reach three £25M transfers, the £200K would not cover their wages. Players with £25M transfers are normally looking at £100-150Kpw these days.

My guess is that the extra £70M (or whatever) they would get from Suarez would result in an extra pair of transfers in the £20-25M range.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
FSG want to make a profit. They have lost around £100mil so far. They need to stop losing money for FFP.
Improved television money, champions league revenue and (I don't think) they will have to wipe out any debt with one sum.

I think they were planning to spend £60M and now have the Suarez money on top.

However transfer fees are not likely to be the problem, wages are. Suarez was on £200Kpw (reportedly) but while the £70M they may get for him could almost reach three £25M transfers, the £200K would not cover their wages. Players with £25M transfers are normally looking at £100-150Kpw these days.

My guess is that the extra £70M (or whatever) they would get from Suarez would result in an extra pair of transfers in the £20-25M range.
There's no way we pay Lallana £100k+ under this regime. His contract will be hugely incentivised. Clearing the likes of Agger and Reina off will also allow us to manoeuvre a lot more, but even if we didn't sell them I would expect 5 more signings, one being Origi who will go on loan.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Saw this mini-article about Rodger's signings at Liverpool.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/0...-of-liverpool-signings-under-brendan-rodgers/

Interesting shout. Only Sturridge & Coutinho being considered unreserved successes, with every other player either a failure or yet to prove themselves.
Toure was signed as a freebie as 4th choice. He did his job. Not a failure.

Classing Ilori as a failure when he's been loaned out for experience is ridiculous.

Mignolet does a good enough job. Not so good he couldn't be replaced, but he earns his fee.

Allen has settled into a good enough squad player. Not quite what we hoped for, but ok.

Sakho is still undecided. He'll be expected to nail down his spot this season.

That said, we have been far from impressive in our transfer dealings. Moses, Aspas, and Alberto were our attacking signings last summer and they added the square sum of feck all to the squad. 14m and three wage packets out the window.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Mignolet's shot-stopping saved us points on multiple occasions last season. If we still had Reina in goal I suspect we'd not have been in the title race. Dunno how can anyone can call him a failure.

bishblaize

There's no way we pay Lallana £100k+...
Probably true, though that rather suggests you paid over the odds on the transfer fee.

Clearing the likes of Agger and Reina off will also allow us to manoeuvre a lot more, but even if we didn't sell them I would expect 5 more signings, one being Origi who will go on loan.
They will have been included in whatever pot of money was agree pre-Suarez. Post-Suarez you still only have his transfer fee and salary to play with.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
If Sakho replicates his form for France with us, then we've got a brilliant defender on our hands. He's been quite good for us already, but for France he takes his form up another level.

Empire

If Sakho replicates his form for France with us, then we've got a brilliant defender on our hands. He's been quite good for us already, but for France he takes his form up another level.
I think he needs to work on a few things first. For instance the weight of his pass, sometimes he puts so much force behind a pass not even top top players can control the ball without it knocking them off balance.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
I think he needs to work on a few things first. For instance the weight of his pass, sometimes he puts so much force behind a pass not even top top players can control the ball without it knocking them off balance.

Hilarious.

Mister_Stubbs

:lol::lol::lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Can still see all their ex legends all suited up and looking smug before kick off, expecting a nice win to see them as good as to the title.
Still can't believe they turd burgled it, everyone on here had given up hope :lol:

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I just remember like 3 solid pages of green laughing smilies during that match.

:lol:

Nogbadthebad

He was dismal against Germany.

He couldn't find his arse with both hands, never mind another French player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I could watch that for hours on end

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Sakho's World Cup in numbers. Minutes played, 288. Goals conceded, 1. Fouls conceded, 0. Passes, 180 completed from 197 attempted, (91.4%).

Revan

Assumptionman

Post of the year :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Rumours flying around that are saying Bertrand is joining for £6m.
Would have to be as back up to a better signing. It's commendable by Rodgers to have this British approach but there is no way he can be the starting LB for a team wanting to challenge.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Would have to be as back up to a better signing. It's commendable by Rodgers to have this British approach but there is no way he can be the starting LB for a team wanting to challenge.
He's better than Flanagan. We challenged with him in the team. I wouldn't mind Bertrand providing we get Moreno as well or keep Enrique as first choice.

Been browsing a Saints forum last night and the general consensus on there is that Lovren was excellent for them all season excluding a game against Spurs. If he carries that form over and Sakho brings his France form back then we should be looking at a very good partnership.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's better than Flanagan. We challenged with him in the team. I wouldn't mind Bertrand providing we get Moreno as well or keep Enrique as first choice.

Been browsing a Saints forum last night and the general consensus on there is that Lovren was excellent for them all season excluding a game against Spurs. If he carries that form over and Sakho brings his France form back then we should be looking at a very good partnership.
Is Agger gone? I would be more worried about your midfield as Gerrard has slid massively, Allen is average Lucas decent only steady one is Henderson and he is a worker.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I would be more worried about your midfield as Gerrard has slid massively, Allen is average Lucas decent only steady one is Henderson and he is a worker.
Allen is decent, not average. Lucas is up in the air since his injury. Might be good by now, looked average coming back from injury though.

The important part for all of them is that they are all capable of performing the job asked of them in midfield. They are a very well integrated unit.

At length, we'll want higher quality in there. Henderson may be doing well, but ideally he shouldn't be able to get a starting berth.

But midfield is not a big concern for me. They delivered eminently last season.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Allen is decent, not average. Lucas is up in the air since his injury. Might be good by now, looked average coming back from injury though.

The important part for all of them is that they are all capable of performing the job asked of them in midfield. They are a very well integrated unit.

At length, we'll want higher quality in there. Henderson may be doing well, but ideally he shouldn't be able to get a starting berth.

But midfield is not a big concern for me. They delivered eminently last season.
Even taking Gerrard out of the equation, I'd say our midfield is very strong. Plenty of variations to be had in energy, pace, movement, & skill, especially with the likes of Sterling, Lallana, & Coutinho dropping deep to receive the ball.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The rivals are quaking in their boots.
Moreno is first choice but we can't agree a fee. Not sure on Bertrand, but our manager knows him well. I don't think our rivals City and Chelsea will be too concerned though.