Liverpool - 2017/18

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Coutinho is all set to be the first person since 1990 to play for Liverpool and get a league winner's medal in the same season!
Is the joke now pretending this hasn't been repeated a gazillion times? :lol::lol:

Was funny the first time though.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Interesting to see how liverpool replace his passing and creativity from midfield and his goals too until the end of the season. Dont think either Giorgino or henderson have his passing ability or ability for a through pass. Can can drive with the ball but not as effective as Coutinho. Also he may be going to Juve anyway so will be frustrating for liverpool.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He put Rooney in a more prominent role and we went on to win two more league titles and reach a cl final
I guess selling the world's best player and downgrading with a player from Wigan is not 'a true small club mentality' then.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Lemar is certainly no replacement for Coutinho.

A true small club mentality, to sell a player for €150 million and then downgrade by taking players from Leicester City and Southampton. How do you ever expect to progress?

Let me say that again... you have €150 million. You have freed up around 300k in wages with the sale of Coutinho and probably Sturridge and Ings aswell so why on earth are they not going out for an “upgrade” like Sanchez or Griezmann or even Cavani or Aubameyang? What’s their excuse this time?

Champions League football - Check
Big Transfer budget - Check
Big Wage Budget - Check
“Top” manager - Check

I’m beginning to think no top “established” player wants to join them.... It’s as simple as that. Liverpool are a selling club, a stepping stone and they will never compete with the elite teams around the world if they’re constantly bending over and selling their best players.

The cycle will just keep on repeating.
You pretty much just hit the nail on the head. None of those you mentioned are likely to want to join (and half of them don't play anywhere near Coutinho's position/role anyway), so what the feck are you moaning at Liverpool for going after the best attainable replacements they can probably realistically get like Lemar and Mahrez? Who by the way - are respectively one of the top U23 talents in the world with world-class potential, and another who was PL POTS just 2 years ago. Hardly bad players to add to the side.

I don't know who you support, but I think you'll find most clubs are 'selling clubs' when Barcelona or Real Madrid or their ilk come knocking on the door for your best players. Look at Cristiano Ronaldo.

Rafateria

Coutinho is all set to be the first person since 1990 to play for Liverpool and get a league winner's medal in the same season!
Well done. You are now the 122nd person to make that comment it seems (though I only saw it for the first time a page ago) !

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I guess selling the world's best player and downgrading with a player from Wigan is not 'a true small club mentality' then.
We changed our system to allow another world class player to flourish and continued to be successful.

But by all means continue to equate the best manager of all time managing one of the best sides in Europe even without Ronaldo to your chap with his run of cup final defeats, trophyless seasons and a team that continues to rely on Jordan Henderson, Alberto Moreno, Dejan Lovren and Simon Mignolet.

Rafateria

Interesting to see how liverpool replace his passing and creativity from midfield and his goals too until the end of the season. Dont think either Giorgino or henderson have his passing ability or ability for a through pass. Can can drive with the ball but not as effective as Coutinho. Also he may be going to Juve anyway so will be frustrating for liverpool.
You are correct. I've been saying the same on Liverpool forums. People are talking about replacing Coutinho (the Mahrez chatter isn't going away but it seems it's becoming more and more likely that Klopp wants Lemar and will even be prepared to wait until the Summer for him - a mistake in my mind as we do need more squad depth in attack). However without Naby Keita (see my next post below), we are lacking strength, depth and creativity in midfield. And I'd much rather that we prioritise bringing in two more strong central midfielders to partner Keita (Hendo is a sicknote, Milner in his last 2 seasons at this level, Gini simply good but not great and Can is off - no loss in my book). That would have a far more reaching effect than another attacker or even defender.

Rafateria

Article (CB was a Liverpool ITK, however it's disputable now how much the club feeds him but I've no doubt he still has many contacts up there).

Liverpool hoping to speeding up Naby Keita's transfer from RB Leipzig following Philippe Coutinho departure

Chris Bascombe
7 January 2018 • 6:00pm

Liverpool will attempt to bring Naby Keita’s move to Anfield forward in an attempt to fill the void left by Philippe Coutinho’s £142 million move to Barcelona.

As details emerge of the measures Coutinho took to push through his Nou Camp transfer – committing £11.5 million of his own cash to meet Liverpool’s valuation – his former club are considering how best to move on from his loss.

Keita, who has already been secured by Liverpool following a deal worth around £57 million, is on loan for the season at RB Leipzig. The German club is determined to retain him as they seek to qualify for next year’s Champions League, but Liverpool would be willing to pay more again to get him this month.

At this stage that still looks unlikely – Liverpool are respectful of the Bundesliga hierarchy’s stance given the professional way negotiations proceeded in the summer – but given the Merseyside club’s significantly swelled kitty they are in a strong financial position to make another tempting offer. Keita would rather join Liverpool this month with Leipzig eliminated from the Champions League.

If Keita cannot be secured, Klopp may wait until the summer before re-investing the £142 million – all of which is available to spend on new recruits. However he is keeping all options open.

“We have never been in a better position in recent times, as a club, to react in the right way,” he said in response to Coutinho’s move.

That means Klopp is ready to move for long-term targets if there is a realistic chance he can get them now. But with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain settling in at Anfield and Adam Lallana back from injury, he will not rush, nor overpay just because the club is flush with cash. Liverpool know many clubs will now increase valuations when Liverpool call.

Coutinho, meanwhile, will finalise his transfer on Monday having paid around £11.5 million of the £142 million fee to ensure Liverpool’s valuation was met. He paid an initial £9 million with the rest to follow.

His insistence on leaving now succeeded in breaking Klopp’s resolve to keep him, the manager ultimately deciding he could not keep a player who did not buy into his vision for the future of the club.

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
We changed our system to allow another world class player to flourish and continued to be successful.

But by all means continue to equate the best manager of all time managing one of the best sides in Europe even without Ronaldo to your chap with his run of cup final defeats, trophyless seasons and a team that continues to rely on Jordan Henderson, Alberto Moreno, Dejan Lovren and Simon Mignolet.
You are entirely missing the point and showing your butt-hurt in the process.

According to rumour, Liverpool are trying to 'replace' Coutinho with Lemar/Mahrez
On paper, United 'replaced' Ronaldo with Valencia

Why the intense scrutiny for Liverpool, but United get a free pass?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Lemar is certainly no replacement for Coutinho.

A true small club mentality, to sell a player for €150 million and then downgrade by taking players from Leicester City and Southampton. How do you ever expect to progress?

Let me say that again... you have €150 million. You have freed up around 300k in wages with the sale of Coutinho and probably Sturridge and Ings aswell so why on earth are they not going out for an “upgrade” like Sanchez or Griezmann or even Cavani or Aubameyang? What’s their excuse this time?

Champions League football - Check
Big Transfer budget - Check
Big Wage Budget - Check
“Top” manager - Check

I’m beginning to think no top “established” player wants to join them.... It’s as simple as that. Liverpool are a selling club, a stepping stone and they will never compete with the elite teams around the world if they’re constantly bending over and selling their best players.

The cycle will just keep on repeating.
Jesus:lol:

You are probably correct that Sanchez and Griezmann won't come as they're wanted by practically every team in the world, but how does that make our mentality "small club"? We got Firmino from Hoffenheim, Salah from Roma, Mane from Southhampton. I'd say they're all good purchases even if they're not from Bayern Munich or Barcelona. Unless we get a sugar daddy who'll fund ridiculous wages we can't really do much else than buy smart and hope that Klopp nails it. Or perhaps you've got a smarter plan to save us from our "small club mentality"?

B20

Supports
Liverpool

According to rumour, Liverpool are trying to 'replace' Coutinho with Lemar/Mahrez

This. If we weren't trying to replace Coutinho properly, I would find it objectionable. But the main point is that the biggest target of such a criticism is Manchester United, whilst also clearly refuting it as a valid point since they went on to win several titles regardless.

Thisistheone

Plus Michael Owen on a free and Gabriel Obertan.

You're spot on. The genius of Ferguson just masked over the damage this and other business the Glazers have done since they took over, has done to the club. It's one big reason we're so far behind City. ...But that's for another thread.

As for Liverpool, selling your star man mid-season is a bad decision. We just need to hope it costs them top 4, which would set Klopp back a couple of years.

TheReligion

Abusive
the story is basically

Holgate pushes firmino into the stands
firmino gets up and calls him a son of a bitch in portugese
Holgate thinks he's been racially abused
The same misunderstanding that occurred with Patrice Eva right?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Plus Michael Owen on a free and Gabriel Obertan.

You're spot on. The genius of Ferguson just masked over the damage this and other business the Glazers have done since they took over, has done to the club. It's one big reason we're so far behind City. ...But that's for another thread.

As for Liverpool, selling your star man mid-season is a bad decision. We just need to hope it costs them top 4, which would set Klopp back a couple of years.
It's an awful decision. We already ballsed up the season by failing to bring in VVD and Keita in the summer. Now we complete the hattrick of awful timing by selling our best player in january. Too many people around the club who think that next season things will fall into place.

They need to be mitigating this in january. Not necessarily with a like for like replacement mind. But the whispers of waiting till the summer doing the rounds right now are outrageous.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
You are correct. I've been saying the same on Liverpool forums. People are talking about replacing Coutinho (the Mahrez chatter isn't going away but it seems it's becoming more and more likely that Klopp wants Lemar and will even be prepared to wait until the Summer for him - a mistake in my mind as we do need more squad depth in attack). However without Naby Keita (see my next post below), we are lacking strength, depth and creativity in midfield. And I'd much rather that we prioritise bringing in two more strong central midfielders to partner Keita (Hendo is a sicknote, Milner in his last 2 seasons at this level, Gini simply good but not great and Can is off - no loss in my book). That would have a far more reaching effect than another attacker or even defender.
I think you will sign at least a central midfielder too, it deosnt make sense not to. It may take keita half a season to adjust too and Its no guarantee how he settles in liverpool. I think Leaving Lemar till summer will be huge mistake, United (As per duncan castles ) have an interest in him and although wont spend the money in jan, but may go for him in the summer. Chelsea are another one as hazard seems to be angling towards Madrid, while madrid themselves will be wanting a creative player and Zidane being french would appeal much more than most clubs. Arsenal also want him, wenger factor will come in and also they will probably want to sign someone to calm the fans after they lose both Sanchez and Ozil.
Ideally for Liverpool they should sign -
Allison -40 million
Weigl -40 million
Lemar- 80 million?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

United were intensely scrutinised at the time of Ronaldo's sale, for the exact things that people are bringing up now. The difference was we were incredibly successful immediately beforehand and proved the scrutiny wrong by continuing to be successful after.

Had United dropped off and that "Wigan player" been shite then there might have been a point to be made.

Liverpool were within a whisker of winning the league a few seasons ago and followed that up by selling their best player and brightest prospect, replacing them with Southampton's best and a smattering of others. They dropped off a cliff.

Klopp came in and they fought tooth and nail to get back in the Champions League, and they've followed that up by selling their best player, replacing him (according to rumour) with a guy with worse numbers in an easier league and a defender from, er... Southampton.

Comparing United in the summer of 09 (a team fresh off the back of three successive title wins, a champions league win and second successive final) when we know they went on to win two league titles and reach a champions league final in the years that followed, to this Liverpool side (that have finished 6th, 8th and 4th in the last three seasons, with their only "success" being to lose two finals in a season in 2015/16 and win Arsenal's coveted top four trophy last season) is ridiculous.

United have won more in the 8 seasons since Ronaldo left in the summer of 09 than Liverpool have in the 16 since their "treble" in 00/01.

Now, Liverpool post-Coutinho may click and go on to bigger an better things and prove the scrutiny and criticisms wrong, however, the odds are somewhat stacked against them, while recent history shows that they're developing a bit of a habit of selling their best players when they look like they're on the right track, replacing them with lesser players, which I think is a perfectly fair and valid point.

Gee Male

Only just read that Coutinho paid £11.5m of his transfer fee himself :lol: desperate to get out of Liverpool

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Bayern need a manager at end of the season dont they? ;)

beep

:lol:

I've seen this a million times already and it's still funny!

:lol::lol::lol:

Lolzerpool fans just don't have a sense of humour. And imagine going onto RAWK and dictating the terms of engagement re United????

Thisistheone

It's an awful decision. We already ballsed up the season by failing to bring in VVD and Keita in the summer. Now we complete the hattrick of awful timing by selling our best player in january. Too many people around the club who think that next season things will fall into place.

They need to be mitigating this in january. Not necessarily with a like for like replacement mind. But the whispers of waiting till the summer doing the rounds right now are outrageous.
Agree. You're lucky you have such a talented manager, would might still pull off top 4. It wouldn't surprise me.

If he does & Coutinho is the last big name you sell for a while, Klopp can keep building - Virgil, Salah, Mane, Ox, Keita all look good signings who fit the system - Lemar, Mahrez, Goretzka, Butland, Allison are all good names and the right kind of players, which is encouraging for you. Not a Benteke, Balotelli, Markovic or Lambert in sight.

Trikie

Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

I've seen this a million times already and it's still funny!

:lol::lol::lol:

Lolzerpool fans just don't have a sense of humour. And imagine going onto RAWK and dictating the terms of engagement re United????
I'm sure most of us do, but like with most jokes you can only hear the same one so many times before it stops being funny. The only funny part now is when they leave in the "I just realised" bit so as to look like they just thought of it. I suppose if you can't come up with anything original then knock yourselves out.

beep

I'm sure most of us do, but like with most jokes you can only hear the same one so many times before it stops being funny. The only funny part now is when they leave in the "I just realised" bit so as to look like they just thought of it. I suppose if you can't come up with anything original then knock yourselves out.
cheers

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Hey! I've just realised...oh, bum. :(

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
Barca briefing that deal was done in september.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Literally adding insult to injury, Coutinho is indeed injured and out for 20 days rather than faking it

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
United were intensely scrutinised at the time of Ronaldo's sale, for the exact things that people are bringing up now. The difference was we were incredibly successful immediately beforehand and proved the scrutiny wrong by continuing to be successful after.

Had United dropped off and that "Wigan player" been shite then there might have been a point to be made.

Liverpool were within a whisker of winning the league a few seasons ago and followed that up by selling their best player and brightest prospect, replacing them with Southampton's best and a smattering of others. They dropped off a cliff.

Klopp came in and they fought tooth and nail to get back in the Champions League, and they've followed that up by selling their best player, replacing him (according to rumour) with a guy with worse numbers in an easier league and a defender from, er... Southampton.

Comparing United in the summer of 09 (a team fresh off the back of three successive title wins, a champions league win and second successive final) when we know they went on to win two league titles and reach a champions league final in the years that followed, to this Liverpool side (that have finished 6th, 8th and 4th in the last three seasons, with their only "success" being to lose two finals in a season in 2015/16 and win Arsenal's coveted top four trophy last season) is ridiculous.

United have won more in the 8 seasons since Ronaldo left in the summer of 09 than Liverpool have in the 16 since their "treble" in 00/01.

Now, Liverpool post-Coutinho may click and go on to bigger an better things and prove the scrutiny and criticisms wrong, however, the odds are somewhat stacked against them, while recent history shows that they're developing a bit of a habit of selling their best players when they look like they're on the right track, replacing them with lesser players, which I think is a perfectly fair and valid point.
Please tell me either how Liverpool were supposed to hold on to Coutinho or which player better than Lemar or Mahrez they are supposed to replace him with and you'll have a point.

Most teams are in the same position as I said if Barcelona or Real Madrid come running. They are snapping up said player because he's top class, and there are very few players around realistically available who are like-for-like in quality to replace them with.

United had the same with Ronaldo, they just managed to find success in spite of not properly replacing him as they had a good squad and an incredible manager. Liverpool are in the same boat, I hardly think they can be penalised for not going out and getting an Alexis Sanchez or a Paulo Dybala or a Gareth Bale, as none of them would want to join.

The best thing they can do with the Coutinho money is both find as good a replacement as possible AND fill in the gaps in the rest of their squad, both of which it seems they are attempting to do.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Please tell me either how Liverpool were supposed to hold on to Coutinho or which player better than Lemar or Mahrez they are supposed to replace him with and you'll have a point.

Most teams are in the same position as I said if Barcelona or Real Madrid come running. They are snapping up said player because he's top class, and there are very few players around realistically available who are like-for-like in quality to replace them with.

United had the same with Ronaldo, they just managed to find success in spite of not properly replacing him as they had a good squad and an incredible manager. Liverpool are in the same boat, I hardly think they can be penalised for not going out and getting an Alexis Sanchez or a Paulo Dybala or a Gareth Bale, as none of them would want to join.

The best thing they can do with the Coutinho money is both find as good a replacement as possible AND fill in the gaps in the rest of their squad, both of which it seems they are attempting to do.
The point is that they've yet again sold their best player when they looked like they might be on the up, and it's very likely to be a decision that sets them back a bit.

You cannot compare United at the time they sold Ronaldo to Liverpool now. United were and remained very successful, and had Ferguson in charge, a serial winner.

Liverpool have won nothing since 2012, and even then it was the League Cup, and you have to go back to the Champions League in 2005 for when they last won something that'd attract top players to the club. Klopp's won three trophies in his entire managerial career, and you have to go back to 2012 for the last of them (it's five and 2014 if you include the German equivalent of the Community Shield).

This isn't about whether Liverpool should or could have kept hold of Coutinho (although like when Suarez left he had not long signed a new, multi-year contract), it's simply about their best player leaving.

The fact that the money they received is not going to go on a like for like replacement because their simply isn't a player available that wants to join them just adds to this point. Liverpool are in a cycle of selling their best players (Torres, Suarez, Coutinho, Sterling) and having to settle for cheaper replacements in hope that they come good. The problem for them is, as soon as they come good, they too leave, starting the cycle all over again. There are already rumours of Real Madrid's interest in Salah.

I'm not suggesting that Liverpool should have done things differently, because as you said, there are very few clubs who can turn Barcelona away when they come knocking for one of their players. However, the point was that Liverpool are something of a selling club, and until one of their best players actually turns around and says, "I'm staying" when the likes of Real Madrid come calling, or they make a big signing off an established top club, they'll continue to buy from the Southamptons of the world and hope that the players they sign come good, before ultimately seeing them leave when they do.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
The point is that they've yet again sold their best player when they looked like they might be on the up, and it's very likely to be a decision that sets them back a bit.

You cannot compare United at the time they sold Ronaldo to Liverpool now. United were and remained very successful, and had Ferguson in charge, a serial winner.

Liverpool have won nothing since 2012, and even then it was the League Cup, and you have to go back to the Champions League in 2005 for when they last won something that'd attract top players to the club. Klopp's won three trophies in his entire managerial career, and you have to go back to 2012 for the last of them (it's five and 2014 if you include the German equivalent of the Community Shield).

This isn't about whether Liverpool should or could have kept hold of Coutinho (although like when Suarez left he had not long signed a new, multi-year contract), it's simply about their best player leaving.

The fact that the money they received is not going to go on a like for like replacement because their simply isn't a player available that wants to join them just adds to this point. Liverpool are in a cycle of selling their best players (Torres, Suarez, Coutinho, Sterling) and having to settle for cheaper replacements in hope that they come good. The problem for them is, as soon as they come good, they too leave, starting the cycle all over again. There are already rumours of Real Madrid's interest in Salah.

I'm not suggesting that Liverpool should have done things differently, because as you said, there are very few clubs who can turn Barcelona away when they come knocking for one of their players. However, the point was that Liverpool are something of a selling club, and until one of their best players actually turns around and says, "I'm staying" when the likes of Real Madrid come calling, or they make a big signing off an established top club, they'll continue to buy from the Southamptons of the world and hope that the players they sign come good, before ultimately seeing them leave when they do.
I don’t consider a club a selling club when they lose players to Barca or Madrid but when they lose them to direct rivals. Like when we lost Torres.

When you lost Ronaldo you were getting to finals and had an insane team. And you STILL lost him. What more could you of done to keep him? The lure of those clubs is too great.

Sterling is the most recent example of us selling to direct rivals.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Brandt/Bailey would be an interesting summer package. Cost less than Lemar combined and both are arguably better than him.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

This is the crux of it.

Fergie essentially replaced Ronaldo with more League Titles, and that's what makes him, and United, truly great.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I don’t consider a club a selling club when they lose players to Barca or Madrid but when they lose them to direct rivals. Like when we lost Torres.

When you lost Ronaldo you were getting to finals and had an insane team. And you STILL lost him. What more could you of done to keep him? The lure of those clubs is too great.

What are you rivaling Man City for...?

Genuine question.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Ronaldo had made clear from day one that he wanted to play for Madrid so I think once they were interested it was only a matter of when rather than if. I'm not sure had have stayed even if we'd retained the CL in 09.

I've never seen a player at United so open about their desire to play elsewhere.

Neither Suarez or Coutinho have been anywhere near as vocal about their desires to play for Barca.