Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Awful performance against a City team missing their best player. Carragher's whole argument for it being positive for Liverpool was based on his very flimsy declaration that the front 3 are too good to not get back to the levels of last season.
You disagree?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Really tough month up for them

LIVERPOOL after the Int'l Break:

Sep 15 - Tottenham (A)
Sep 18/19 - UCL game 1
Sep 22 - Southampton
Sep 25/26 - Chelsea (H)
Sep 29 - Chelsea (A)
Oct 2/3 - UCL game 2
Oct 7 - Man City (H)
If you offered me what we got from these games I would have bitten your hand off.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
Personally I am delighted, come through a tough run of games and sitting on equal points at the top of the table. Had you offered me 6 wins and 2 draws whilst not really playing great at the start of the season I would of bit your hand off.

The question now is can we kick on and can our attack click, it is certainly not right now so a lot hinges on finding that form in a run of games where we should do well.

kiristao

Luck is really going Liverpool's way. Sturidge scores a stunner in the last min and Mahrez misses a late penalty to help get draws against 2 of their main rivals in 2 consecutive games.

montpelier

Point gained for Liverpool today - considering they ought to have lost really.

I'd still have them as the main challengers but it's nowhere near as fluent as last year.

Better struggling a bit now than later, though.

Treble

City were the better team and deserved to win. And they played without their best player. Liverpool were unimpressive. I'm sure their fans didn't expect them to create so little against City at home. They didn't have a single clear chance the whole game. The best front 3 in the world couldn't score/create a single goal 4 consecutive games now. My prediction is that Liverpool will finish 3rd. Chelsea have much more quality in midfield and have Hazard. And many in their team know how to compete for the league.

Treble

But neither did City bar the penalty so? End of the day, we're winning games, our defence looks like it's arguably the best in the league right now and the missing link feels like a creative attacking central midfielder. When January comes round I'm sure we'll buy one, if not even go back in for Fekir and I highly doubt we'll be out the title race by then looking at our schedule from now until January. Once we do that I think our offence will be back to full strength (like it was with Ox last year) and we'll be able to start blowing opponents away again. I honestly think we've done well considering the schedule as we have looked very tired the last two games which is only hindering our attack even further. Next 6 games are Huddersfield, Red Star, Cardiff, Arsenal, Red Star and Fulham, if we can't get our attack flowing over those fixtures then there definitely is something wrong.
Mahrez had a clear chance apart from the pen and they could have had a pen when Lovren hit Jusus in the face to stop him. Lovren vs Aguero was another dubious situation in your box. They were better.

Why is your defence supposed to be better than City's? The latter didn't concede a single good chance today. They have better defensive options on the bench.

City have a better team than you even without KDB, Chelsea are level with you imo.

Still too early to predict the league but I wouldn't be surprised if City won the title without much problems.

Josh 76

Well considering they were a Mahrez away from losing, it is.

Interesting that City play 5 of the "big 6" away from home in the first half of the season. They play us at home.
However you want to look at it, you drew at home against your title rivals. It's a better result for City. They have their best player to come back fresh for the rest of the season too.
You keep saying you are playing badly but still winning. So does that mean when you start playing well last, you won't lose ?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Good result for City who should have had another couples of penalties.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Got away with it, we’re in a good position considering the fixtures we’ve had and the fact we’ve not been able to integrate either of Fabinho and Keita yet.
The front three are really struggling though, definitely another gear to be found.

Allison Gomez and VVD the early standouts this season so far. With Wijnaldum being excellent also, Milner is great but i still don’t think we need him in absolutely every game, there are certain games he’s easily bypassed and disrupts the shape we use because his natural tendency is to drift outside it. It helps against park the bus sides in Ox’s absence though.

Josh 76

Personally I am delighted, come through a tough run of games and sitting on equal points at the top of the table. Had you offered me 6 wins and 2 draws whilst not really playing great at the start of the season I would of bit your hand off.

The question now is can we kick on and can our attack click, it is certainly not right now so a lot hinges on finding that form in a run of games where we should do well.
Maybe teams have sussed you lot out a little, so your free flowing high press football, you guys are waiting for may not come back as quickly as you lot think.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Maybe teams have sussed you lot out a little, so your free flowing high press football, you guys are waiting for may not come back as quickly as you lot think.
Yeah we’re going to have to tweak our tactics a little. Plus side is we look relatively solid for the most part. City hardly threatened us compared to their usual level.

Josh 76

Yeah we’re going to have to tweak our tactics a little. Plus side is we look relatively solid for the most part. City hardly threatened us compared to their usual level.
I agree you looked solid, But City hardly ever threaten you lot at Anfield. Check the record. I actually applaud Pep for tweaking his tactics. It's probably the easiest game City have had at Anfield for a very long time.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
We've had by far the toughest start to the season of any of the top sides, yet sit joint top of the table and unbeaten in the league. The front three will play themselves into form over the next few, easier games.

I'd have bitten your hand off for this position if offered in August. Let's see how Chelsea and City cope with their respective runs.

Josh 76

We've had by far the toughest start to the season of any of the top sides, yet sit joint top of the table and unbeaten in the league. The front three will play themselves into form over the next few, easier games.

I'd have bitten your hand off for this position if offered in August. Let's see how Chelsea and City cope with their respective runs.
If only football was that simple. I'm surprised Liverpool fans aren't already planning their open bus title parade in May after putting there data into the computer predictor.
Don't you realise teams have injuries, suspensions, Champion League games and other factors which can effect results. So all this 'we have played these teams and still top' makes me cringe.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
If you offered me what we got from these games I would have bitten your hand off.
Had you offered me 6 wins and 2 draws whilst not really playing great at the start of the season I would of bit your hand off.
Jeez, you guys are really fond of biting hands off. Suarez's legacy?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Don't you realise teams have injuries, suspensions, Champion League games and other factors which can effect results. So all this 'we have played these teams and still top' makes me cringe.
City and Chelsea have those factors as well, so it’s still better to be joint top after a tough run than after an easier one. Not sure what’s hard to understand here, we already played three of the top six sides and are still unbeaten, only normal we’re optimistic.

CA1

Liverpool will finish 10 plus points behind City. They're nowhere near them consistently. The winter period will blitz Liverpool out of it as City just rotate their squad and pick up win after win after win.

It will be very similar to us last year trying to chase City down. It won't get the same narrative though.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
That is definitely part of it and so is pressure, that the question i guess, how we adapt and how we handle the pressure.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Getting results before Salah starts firing again. I would love it if Salah continues his shite form but it’s very unlikely.

Enigma_87

You know who
Getting results before Salah starts firing again. I would love it if Salah continues his shite form but it’s very unlikely.
Doubt he'll reach the level he was on last year personally.

Robbie Boy

Salah will obviously be judged far more harshly this season. Last season there were zero expectations on him and now there clearly are. Comparing his starts to this and last season is pure delusion as they aren't comparable anymore in the slightest. Fact is, he's been terrible.

Josh 76

City and Chelsea have those factors as well, so it’s still better to be joint top after a tough run than after an easier one. Not sure what’s hard to understand here, we already played three of the top six sides and are still unbeaten, only normal we’re optimistic.
I get it with Liverppol fans as you have never really been in this position for god knows how long. It's the pundits that make me laugh. Jamie Carragher, disagreeing with Gary Neviile, saying that the front 3 delivered in both the Champions league and premier league last season, but forgot to mention they scrapped 4th on the last day and lost in the final. All the Liverppol fans and media are on edge. They secretly think Liverppol will win it playing wonderful attacking football, so Its actually quite fascinating to see their reactions when it doesn't go to script.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I get it with Liverppol fans as you have never really been in this position for god knows how long. It's the pundits that make me laugh. Jamie Carragher, disagreeing with Gary Neviile, saying that the front 3 delivered in both the Champions league and premier league last season, but forgot to mention they scrapped 4th on the last day and lost in the final. All the Liverppol fans and media are on edge. They secretly think Liverppol will win it playing wonderful attacking football, so Its actually quite fascinating to see their reactions when it doesn't go to script.
It's all about perspective though isn't it ? Our last 3 league games has seen us chew up Southampton with great ease. Then gain a more-than-deserved draw away at a very good Chelsea side. Then yesterday, we drew at home against the strong favourites, & last season's runaway champions Man City. OK, we were fortunate with the penalty miss, but we'll be unfortunate at some point during the season with other things. We know we can play better than we did yesterday. We proved that in our previous home game against The Saints. But sometimes throughout the season you have to go into a match -especially against a top club - with the mindset of making sure you get something out of the game. We've done that in all 3 games (Spurs, Chelsea, & City), so that's where the perspective comes in, & that's why we're still level on points with City & Chelsea.

Arsenal are now starting to click under their new manager, so it could be a 4 way fight this year. That's why you'll not get too many Liverpool fans 'secretly believing' we can win it this season. Being consistent, & staying consistent is the first thing we have to get right. It's only around March time will we be able to say with any great conviction if we have a good chance of ending our long wait for a league title.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Jamie Carragher, disagreeing with Gary Neviile, saying that the front 3 delivered in both the Champions league and premier league last season, but forgot to mention they scrapped 4th on the last day and lost in the final.
Weird reasoning - of course they delivered big time last year, as proven by our goal scoring records. Us losing the final doesn't change that, especially if you factor in the way we lost.

Josh 76

Weird reasoning - of course they delivered big time last year, as proven by our goal scoring records. Us losing the final doesn't change that, especially if you factor in the way we lost.
Gary Nev was saying Liverpool need to prioritise as playing the front 3 in both the premier league and champions league won't work. Carragher disagreed saying it worked last season. You agree with Carragher, fair enough. I can see why Gary won the League on so many occasions and Carragher didn't win any. If you class 'delivering big time' by finishing 4th and losing in the final, what is the point of wining a trophy?

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
City were the better team and deserved to win. And they played without their best player. Liverpool were unimpressive. I'm sure their fans didn't expect them to create so little against City at home. They didn't have a single clear chance the whole game. The best front 3 in the world couldn't score/create a single goal 4 consecutive games now. My prediction is that Liverpool will finish 3rd. Chelsea have much more quality in midfield and have Hazard. And many in their team know how to compete for the league.
Agree with this. The league title is City's to lose; best team and best squad.

They bested us yesterday and we were lucky to escape with a draw. It's Chelsea and us scrapping for the minor medals.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
Gary Nev was saying Liverpool need to prioritise as playing the front 3 in both the premier league and champions league won't work. Carragher disagreed saying it worked last season. You agree with Carragher, fair enough. I can see why Gary won the League on so many occasions and Carragher didn't win any. If you class 'delivering big time' by finishing 4th and losing in the final, what is the point of wining a trophy?
This bolded bit makes little or no sense. I am not sure Neville or Carragher would have had any say on team selection when they were players, so I genuinely don't know how you get to this conclusion.

Saying that, I side with Neville on this one. Yes, we did get to the CL final last year but - while unquantifiable - I think it was at the expense of the league. We were a better team than scraping fourth on the last day, but the CL exertions took their toll. Carra has seen CL qualification as more than it is. Yes, it represents success but it means little when we finished so far behind the leaders. I would forgo the CL this season for a proper shot at the league title. Our squad isn't strong enough to fight on both fronts.

redman5

Gary Neville won more medals than Carragher because he played for Alex Ferguson all his career & Carragher didn't. Having a more successful footballing cv doesn't mean you're right all the time. If that was the case then ex-Liverpool right-back Phil Neal would never be wrong with his assessments on football matters. When actually, the opposite has shown to be true.

You've taken the words of the poster out of context. Considering that after our 9th game of last season we lay in 9th place with 13 points - The same points you have now after 8 matches - finishing in the top 4 for us seemed like an impossible task. Especially considering we'd just been thrashed 4-1 by Spurs, & our defence was leaking goals in like there's no tomorrow. So for us to finish 4th, & get to the CL final the way we did, it was a pretty credible achievement all-in-all. & if you're being totally honest, you'd happily accept that right now for your team. The fact is, our front 3 didn't really click until the end of October last year. So neither Neville, or Carragher, have yet to be proved right or wrong. It's unlikely they'll reach the levels of last season, but maybe they won't need to. We've had a much better start than last year, & we have a far superior defence & keeper. We also have better players to bring off the bench when the need arises.

redman5

I really fecking hope so. That's the last thing we've been in the previous 30 years.
United under Ferguson won a shitload of league titles by beating the not-so-good teams on a regular basis. We did the double over them in 2008/09 but still fell 4 points short. In fact I think they only won 1 of their 6 matches against the other top 4 sides that year. Flat track bullies put points on the board.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
How exactly do you see that?

And our front definately did deliver big time, no matter if we lost the final. In fact, they were the main reason we even made it that far and got our top 4 finish scoring a combined 89 goals, 32 in the cl.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Flat track bullies put points on the board.
It's usually the key to success, except in those rare seasons where its genuinely tight as hell at the top. Too early to say whether this is one though, despite the current table.

Josh 76

This bolded bit makes little or no sense. I am not sure Neville or Carragher would have had any say on team selection when they were players, so I genuinely don't know how you get to this conclusion.

Saying that, I side with Neville on this one. Yes, we did get to the CL final last year but - while unquantifiable - I think it was at the expense of the league. We were a better team than scraping fourth on the last day, but the CL exertions took their toll. Carra has seen CL qualification as more than it is. Yes, it represents success but it means little when we finished so far behind the leaders. I would forgo the CL this season for a proper shot at the league title. Our squad isn't strong enough to fight on both fronts.
Gary Nev has more experience to say that not rotating enough won't win you big prizes because he has won them, unlike Carragher.

Status
Not open for further replies.