Liverpool 2022/23

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
1 league title in 33 years if everything goes as expected.

Always a pleasure to see that lot struggle. For all the hype, they have just 1 league title and 1 CL (which should never have been accomplished but that is another discussion altogether) to show for in those 7 years of Klopp's reign.

Would be great to see them miss the CL next season but unlikely to occur.
Oh wow Barcelona. I forgot they existed. Then I remembered Coutinho. :lol:

caid

It'll be interesting to see how Klopp adjusts to this squad. Bad form and confidence is one thing and obviously there but it isn't a team cut out to outwork and outrun many teams. I'm not sure what the plan is meant to be these days.

Chief123

Oh my God, what happened to Virgil?
The calls for him to be regarded as the greatest ever defender in the premier league are looking more and more ridiculous each game. It’s an insult to the likes of Rio and Vidic who did it for nearly a decade not just 2 seasons.

Chief123

It'll be interesting to see how Klopp adjusts to this squad. Bad form and confidence is one thing and obviously there but it isn't a team cut out to outwork and outrun many teams. I'm not sure what the plan is meant to be these days.
I feel Klopp is really struggling to adapt to the fact they’ve made a huge cock up with the Nunez signing and losing Mane. It’s a true royal downgrade that’s been a very expensive experiment.

The Purley King

In the words of David Brent “this is the real quiz” now for Klopp.
Built an excellent side for the last few years and now needs to reinvent it.
If he manages to do so then fair play to him but early signs are that he doesn’t have that ability in his locker.
Still trying to play the same way with vastly different players (either actually different or 4 years older) than he had before.
Will see if he is a one trick pony or not in the coming 18 months.

cyberman

I honestly can’t see how they’re playing much differently then last season, even during their second half run. The amount of times they conceded chance after chance, easy ones as well, only to get away with it and score themselves was ridiculous. The opposition are now taking their chances so it exposes how they were really playing.
They only failed to score once this season. Another flukey year and those goals are giving them wins and Allison is being praised for being the super-est duper-est ever at 1v1s.

lysglimt

Scout
Liverpool now NEED to beat Arsenal to stay in the race. If City just pick up 4 points from the matches against us and Southampton - they will be at 21 points from 9 matches. If Liverpool draw or lose against Arsenal, they will be at 10 or 11 points in 8 matches. They will never catch City if that happens.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool now NEED to beat Arsenal to stay in the race. If City just pick up 4 points from the matches against us and Southampton - they will be at 21 points from 9 matches. If Liverpool draw or lose against Arsenal, they will be at 10 or 11 points in 8 matches. They will never catch City if that happens.
You don't need stats (points) to see Liverpool were never in the title race this season. Just a top four fight for us this season.

So we don't HAVE to beat Arsenal, a draw is fine. And a loss against City next weekend makes very little difference too.

Shark

@NotShark
They're having such a crap time at the moment and I'm loving every second of it.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Well I officially will be going back to be a little bit of a bitter and root for City to win today for the first time in 7 yrs. I will be rooting for Arsenal and anybody united plays. It’s back to that for a season.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Well I officially will be going back to be a little bit of a bitter and root for City to win today for the first time in 7 yrs. I will be rooting for Arsenal and anybody united plays. It’s back to that for a season.
My worry is without Liverpool to actually challenge Pep in the league he will rest players for the mental hurdle of overcoming the CL voodoo this season. Hope not but this should be the best run Pep has had at it. :(

dinostar77

Really good analysis. In a nutshell:

1. Trent cant defend and is being targeted on purpose by the opposition as a weakeness in liverpool defence.
2. VVD is a shadow of his former self and making mistakes
3. Liverpool pressing numbers are down.
4. Injuries to midfielders such as henderson havent helped.
5. Thiago/elliot etc arent doing the covering for the fullbacks that peak henderson/wjinaldum did.

The Purley King

I’d back arsenal to beat them next time out (can’t believe I’ve just written that!) and then it’s city.
Could easily be on 10 points after 9 games.
Will need to find some form pretty quickly after that to keep in touch.
Can’t afford too many more slip ups if that does come to pass. Klopp has to try and change the approach somehow it’s clear his midfield doesn’t have the legs any more for all out pressing.

NoLogo

3. Liverpool pressing numbers are down.
This is definitely a major factor, I feel. If the pressing doesn't work as well, defenders will come under more pressure, and defenders that aren't all that great at defending will struggle as a result. Doesn't quite explain van Dijk though, I find his decline much more baffling than the fact that TAA is weak defensively, which was widely known and only gets highlighted more extensively this season with teams, us included, deliberately targeting his side.

erikcred

You don't need stats (points) to see Liverpool were never in the title race this season. Just a top four fight for us this season.

So we don't HAVE to beat Arsenal, a draw is fine. And a loss against City next weekend makes very little difference too.
Top four? Liverpool need to start picking up points to stay in the race for the europa conference league place.

In your current form you probably won't win against most of the mid-table teams while they're happy to sit back and hit long balls behind your right back. So opponents like City and Arsenal that play on the front foot seem to be your best chance of picking up points.

Chief123

why didn't they just bring back wijnaldum on the cheap
Because klopp is too stubborn and proud to accept he needs him back. Similar to how he stubbornly keeps persisting with pensioner Milner and crocked Henderson.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Top four? Liverpool need to start picking up points to stay in the race for the europa conference league place.

In your current form you probably won't win against most of the mid-table teams while they're happy to sit back and hit long balls behind your right back. So opponents like City and Arsenal that play on the front foot seem to be your best chance of picking up points.
True although we picked up a point on Spurs this week and most likely will pick up a point on united after they get their usual spanking from City

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Is it possible that the PL is enforcing more restrictions on their asthma medicene?

erikcred

True although we picked up a point on Spurs this week and most likely will pick up a point on united after they get their usual spanking from City
Grrrr fair enough! But you've to play that lot soon too. Hope City run up a cricket score at Anfield.

TheReligion

Abusive
Can’t stand Liverpool fans but the Arsenal bunch on here at that insufferable they’ve got me hoping Liverpool turn them over

ExecutionerWasp001

What are FSG doing with all the money coming in?

They've been doing well in the PL & CL & there turnover must be close to ours. They finally got a decent manager after nearly 30 years & they don't back him.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Liverpool have to go 'back to the basics' to improve form - Jurgen Klopp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63121780
Looks like Klopp is reading up on early 1990s British politics to get his team back on track. Not sure how relevant John Major's much mocked campaign is to Liverpool's current situation but I'm sure the scousers will lap it up even if they hated it once upon a time.

Chief123

Im relishing City going to Anfield! Liverpool might have to rest VVD so he doesn’t lose his “never lost at anfield” crown.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Skysports.com article about the match last night is sickening for its lavish praise and over the top completely ridiculous description of the performance. Rangers are minnows.

Josh 76

Skysports.com article about the match last night is sickening for its lavish praise and over the top completely ridiculous description of the performance. Rangers are minnows.
Are you really surprised ?

FriedClams

to be fair, rangers were a penalty shootout away from winning the Europa league. They are being found out massively against the big guns though.

Chief123

Liverpool haven’t lost a home game in front of a crowd for 5 and a half years! :eek:

I wonder if City will change that?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Liverpool haven’t lost a home game in front of a crowd for 5 and a half years! :eek:

My Dipper mate was saying this earlier. He insisted this was true until I pointed out Atleti turned them over in 2020.

Chief123

My Dipper mate was saying this earlier. He insisted this was true until I pointed out Atleti turned them over in 2020.
Actually I think the stat is just in the premier league.

Still it’s very impressive. Of course it ignores the 6-7 games they lost at home in the covid season but the point is in front of their home crowd they are pretty invincible.

It would have been different last season though when City should have won if they didn’t get screwed by the ref.

LordSpud

Honestly think Liverpool will either spring a "shock result" on City or they will draw again as they quite often have over the past few years. Its not as one sided as everyone is making out.

Chief123

Honestly think Liverpool will either spring a "shock result" on City or they will draw again as they quite often have over the past few years. Its not as one sided as everyone is making out.
Personally I can’t see how Liverpool get anything out of the game. Liverpool will play a high line and Haaland will be licking his lips at that. If Liverpool actually played deeper and on the counter I’d give them a chance.

Anyway let’s see if Liverpool can match the mighty Bournemouth and stop Haaland from scoring.