Liverpool 2022/23

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Think Klopp took a chance because Henderson is injured and Milner is far too old to be starting a game like this. Obviously didn't pay off but I wanted to see it tried so can't really complain.

Think a lot of this game is on Klopp's ingame management. We shouldn't have made those double subs when we were on top of you in the second.
that was also a mistake.

I agree with your first statement but that’s also on him/the club for not getting a midfielder in earlier.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
that was also a mistake.

I agree with your first statement but that’s also on him/the club for not getting a midfielder in earlier.
Agreed. Ultimately we have to hope that Thiago is able to avoid further injury, at least until the world cup. I think we're going to be fighting for fourth against United and Chelsea this season.

lysglimt

Scout
It's early in the season and a lot can happen - but if City win today (which they probably will) - I would not be too optimistic about winning the league if I was a Liverpool-fan. The gap to City may already be too big

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Think I’d start to be a little more worried if I were a Liverpool fan.

Didn’t turn up again until late in the game. Pretty unforgivable in the derby especially when they’ve already been done over by United a few games ago in part because they didn’t want it as much.

Didn’t think Klopp would let that happen again.

Josh 76

The worst thing that could have happened to them was too beat Bournemouth 9-0. It papered over some serious cracks.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
The beginning of the end for Klopp’s tenure at Liverpool:
Liverpool 2023: purchased Nunez and loaned Melo
Dortmund 2015: purchased Immobile, Kampl, Ginter, Kagawa, Sahin (all of whom flopped)

Liverpool: current win rate 33%
Dortmund: win rate 40% (prev 3 seasons: 65%, 58%, 74%)

FriedClams

the only thing klopps time at Dortmund has anything to with his time at Liverpool, is that he was good enough for them to appoint as their new manager. It’s such a reach to suggest actual correlations.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The sale of Mane and apparent change in style of play does not look great so far does it.
Very fortunate to win midweek, or they'd be even further off the pace.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
The sale of Mane and apparent change in style of play does not look great so far does it.
Very fortunate to win midweek, or they'd be even further off the pace.
Diaz simply isn't capable of replicating Mane's output at this time. His finishing and passing aren't the best, and I feel like he has a habit of holding on to the ball for too long. He'll receive the ball and end up dribbling from the left into the central areas before laying it off. Could use some more decisiveness I think.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Diaz simply isn't capable of replicating Mane's output at this time. His finishing and passing aren't the best, and I feel like he has a habit of holding on to the ball for too long. He'll receive the ball and end up dribbling from the left into the central areas before laying it off. Could use some more decisiveness I think.
I'd be more worried about Salah, who looks to be the classic case of a player signing a huge contract and then dropping a few gears.

cyberman

At this point Diaz just can’t finish, it’s not luck anymore.
And it seems the opposition have cottoned on to his reluctance to get to the byline so have his cuts inside covered. They’ve a very up and down side these days

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
I'd be more worried about Salah, who looks to be the classic case of a player signing a huge contract and then dropping a few gears.
He's been noticeably worse since AFCON. Though he has been creating chances this season. It feels like he can't beat a man anymore. The disjointedness between defence, midfield and attack certainly isn't helping. It feels like he's playing really wide this season, I'd like to see him more centrally involved. There were also a couple instances where he was picking up the ball on the halfway line like Firmino has been. That needs to stop, but our croaking midfield just isn't capable of retaining and progressing the ball for extended periods of time.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool

Not sure how relevant this stat is on its own, considering teams who control a substantial share of possession will run less than a team without. But I think it generally tracks with what has seemed like a regression in physical intensity and desire throughout the team since last season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Salah and VVD really do look poor this season. When your two best players aren’t performing well you’re going to struggle to keep up with the best teams.

Chief123

Think I’d start to be a little more worried if I were a Liverpool fan.

Didn’t turn up again until late in the game. Pretty unforgivable in the derby especially when they’ve already been done over by United a few games ago in part because they didn’t want it as much.

Didn’t think Klopp would let that happen again.
From Klopps expressions on the sidelines and in interviews, you can see he genuinely looks concerned. It’s like he can see big problems which he’s not sure he can fix any time soon without some big signings. His lack of intensity in midfield is constantly allowing his defence to be exposed.

It kind of feels like his team is heading back towards the direction they were when he first arrived as a number of his key players are over the hill now. They’ll need replacements for Henderson, Milner, Thiago, Firmino and VVD in the not too distant future. That’s some serious investment needed.

Chief123

Salah and VVD really do look poor this season. When your two best players aren’t performing well you’re going to struggle to keep up with the best teams.
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but they may well have been better off letting Salah go and invest in a younger replacement while keeping Mane. Salah seems to have been infected by the contract curse.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but they may well have been better off letting Salah go and invest in a younger replacement while keeping Mane. Salah seems to have been infected by the contract curse.
Mane wanted to leave, that’s why Diaz was brought in early (along with other teams sniffing around him).

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It's midfield that is the main problem. The whole management and recruitment team have been in denial about the state of it.

Milner should not have been extended. It is embarrassing that we thought he could still do a job.

Henderson should not have been relied on as a first team regular. He should be in the Milner role.

They have had no regard for the fact that three key midfielders on the wrong side of thirty are a year older. And the signs were all there last year. We needed two midfielders this season. And all summer we banked on one midfielder for next year and figured they are all as good as ever.

We started carvalho and elliot in midfield together yesterday. It's an utter farce.

Next summer, keita, Chamberlain, Milner will all be gone. Henderson too old to start and a transition plan for Thiago should be undertaken as well. We need three midfielders next season (assuming Arthur doesn't sign).

We're utterly behind the curve here.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's midfield that is the main problem. The whole management and recruitment team have been in denial about the state of it.

Milner should not have been extended. It is embarrassing that we thought he could still do a job.

Henderson should not have been relied on as a first team regular. He should be in the Milner role.

They have had no regard for the fact that three key midfielders on the wrong side of thirty are a year older. And the signs were all there last year. We needed two midfielders this season. And all summer we banked on one midfielder for next year and figured they are all as good as ever.

We started carvalho and elliot in midfield together yesterday. It's an utter farce.

Next summer, keita, Chamberlain, Milner will all be gone. Henderson too old to start and a transition plan for Thiago should be undertaken as well. We need three midfielders next season (assuming Arthur doesn't sign).

We're utterly behind the curve here.
Yeah, the Milner sub enabled us to get back into the game yesterday. I understand he’s a good person to have around the club but he shouldn’t be starting or playing games anymore. He’s having a Gary Neville I need to retire asap season.

That midfield you had out yesterday would have been absolutely destroyed by a top side. It could be a really difficult season for you.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool

Not sure how relevant this stat is on its own, considering teams who control a substantial share of possession will run less than a team without. But I think it generally tracks with what has seemed like a regression in physical intensity and desire throughout the team since last season.
It makes sense in a way. The intensity has gone and it makes us look very average.
I’m guessing last years efforts, playing every available game and still losing out in the two tournaments that really matters has taken it’s toll.

Our fb’s, who have been absolutely essentiel to our gameplans over the years, have both been poor, Van Dijk’s not been the same, Salah’s been completely non existant and most importantly, the higher ups somehow thought they could get away with not investing in the midfield.

non profit football

Supports
Chelsea
If they had to choose between Mané and Salah, I think they made the wrong choice, but that's only a small part of the problem.

In the midfield they have holes everywhere and the intensity is not the same.

Yesterday saved them from another defeat Allison who made another great exhibition and the always friendly referees.

Some corruption and special vitamins should put them among the secondary lot where are Chelsea, Arsenal, United, Spurs

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't know why it took so long but I absolutely love that teams are finally starting to figure out how to get past Liverpool's really high defensive line. And for all the United supporters who want to see us play in a similar fashion, I have been warning against it for ages. It doesn't matter if you have VVD, Varane or Maguire. A high line will always find defenders flat footed with a ton of space to run into. All it takes is smartly times runs from wingers or midfielders (like we saw Erikson do to Arsenal's high line on the weekend) and you're done. I'm not surprised to see teams tear Liverpool apart this year. The only thing that has surprised me is that it has taken this long to figure it out...

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Not seen last night's match but it's on LFC tv at 14:00. Gonna have to have a butchers, and it'll be even more beautifully listening to the koptie commentary :lol:

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Milners shot
Henderson shot
Thiago always injured
Ketia injured always
Fabinho not himself
Trent cant defend
Konate was becoming great- injured
Gomez and Matip not too good
Salah is non existent
I think that covers it
Other than that were ok.

romufc

Milners shot
Henderson shot
Thiago always injured
Ketia injured always
Fabinho not himself
Trent cant defend
Konate was becoming great- injured
Gomez and Matip not too good
Salah is non existent
I think that covers it
Other than that were ok.
Well, Liverpool knew about Milner and Henderson before this season, they haven't overnight aged.

Thaigo, Keita have always been injury prone, not something new.

Fabinho is the only one who has lost some form

Trent has never been able to defend, its nothing new.

largelyworried

I don't know why it took so long but I absolutely love that teams are finally starting to figure out how to get past Liverpool's really high defensive line. And for all the United supporters who want to see us play in a similar fashion, I have been warning against it for ages. It doesn't matter if you have VVD, Varane or Maguire. A high line will always find defenders flat footed with a ton of space to run into. All it takes is smartly times runs from wingers or midfielders (like we saw Erikson do to Arsenal's high line on the weekend) and you're done. I'm not surprised to see teams tear Liverpool apart this year. The only thing that has surprised me is that it has taken this long to figure it out...
Disagree with this. It isnt that people have finally "figured out" how to deal with a high press, its just that Liverpool are doing it badly. That's like saying people have figured out how not to get tackled, just because Van Dijk & Gomez are shit at that too.

Yes, pressing high leaves space for people to counter attack into. As with all tactics in football there are trade offs, and the trade off for pressing high is that you leave space in behind. However the counter point is that if a press is done well, only elite level teams will have players good enough to pass the ball through it. The better the press, the better the team has to be to get past it. Equally, the worse the press, the easier it gets for even average teams to just play balls into that space, which is what's happening to Liverpool now. Every Tom, Dick & Harry is hurting them on the counter.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Milner (Mata) shot
Henderson (Fred) shot
Thiago (Pogba) always injured
Ketia (Martial) injured always
Fabinho (Maguire) not himself
Trent (AWB) cant defend
Konate (Martial) was becoming great- injured
Gomez and Matip (Lindelof and Bailly) not too good
Salah (Rashford) is non existent
I think that covers it
Other than that were ok.
This sounds eerily familiar.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
You got problems if you're starting Milner in a game of this magnitude.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Its like they all are playing 40% below last season with the exception of Diaz who has maintained his level and Elliott is doing ok for a kid.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
Noticed our decline appears to have coincided with Jake Paul’s newfound support of us. Coincidence? Or is something more sinister afoot?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I found Robertson's post match interview oddly similar to the one Shaw gave last season. Basically accusing the attack and midfield of hanging the defense out to dry.

Dipper

#7 Swiftie
Supports
Liverpool
I found Robertson's post match interview oddly similar to the one Shaw gave last season. Basically accusing the attack and midfield of hanging the defense out to dry.
I think it’s certainly true the midfield isn’t covering adequately for the defence. But that in no way excuses the horrors we saw from Trent and Gomez last night.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Disagree with this. It isnt that people have finally "figured out" how to deal with a high press, its just that Liverpool are doing it badly. That's like saying people have figured out how not to get tackled, just because Van Dijk & Gomez are shit at that too.

Yes, pressing high leaves space for people to counter attack into. As with all tactics in football there are trade offs, and the trade off for pressing high is that you leave space in behind. However the counter point is that if a press is done well, only elite level teams will have players good enough to pass the ball through it. The better the press, the better the team has to be to get past it. Equally, the worse the press, the easier it gets for even average teams to just play balls into that space, which is what's happening to Liverpool now. Every Tom, Dick & Harry is hurting them on the counter.
That is not true at all. All it takes is a well times run and a ball through the space and the trap is beat. We saw it over and over yesterday

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That is not true at all. All it takes is a well times run and a ball through the space and the trap is beat. We saw it over and over yesterday
We've been playing a high line for a few years now though and not having these kind of issues. We're now trying to play the same way and doing it terribly.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We've been playing a high line for a few years now though and not having these kind of issues. We're now trying to play the same way and doing it terribly.
That's strange considering the talk I hear is that "We haven't been able to play a high line because of Maguire". So which one is it? We have been or we haven't been?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That's strange considering the talk I hear is that "We haven't been able to play a high line because of Maguire". So which one is it? We have been or we haven't been?
He's a Liverpool supporter, so his 'we' referred to LFC.

In any case, I agree that this 'figuring out Liverpool' is nonsense. They have been playing their style for years, and many other top teams play with a high line as well. If there was a definitive key to unlock that, it would have been found long ago. Liverpool has obviously started to suck at their own tactic - even if I don't know in which aspect.

largelyworried

Unless you're saying that Liverpool played well against Napoli, that doesn't counter my point whatsoever.

CruyffMaradonaMessi

Supports
FC Barcelona
1 league title in 33 years if everything goes as expected.

Always a pleasure to see that lot struggle. For all the hype, they have just 1 league title and 1 CL (which should never have been accomplished but that is another discussion altogether) to show for in those 7 years of Klopp's reign.

Would be great to see them miss the CL next season but unlikely to occur.

Amazing Santos

They are done. That transfer window with the Latino Andy Carroll really sealed it. Stubborn as hell over replacing an ageing midfield and signed Arthur "shitbag" Melo at the last minute as a loan.

They have gone completely backwards and it will only continue if they have another couple of windows like that. At best they can hope for the FA Cup or Mickie Mouse cup at their current state.