Liverpool are the luckiest club in the league and it will never end

zaafi

It’s my opinion. I have watched every game since I can remember. This team has “it”.
I think you have "it" in the sense that you have the ability to punish worse teams and are brilliant offensively, but you're still lacking in midfield and defence, which is the main reason you're not going to win the title. Midfield is probably going to improve the more they play together - or not - but I can't see how that is going to be enough.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They've admitted to other errors this season but only stretch to publicly threatening their own officials if it happens against Liverpool?

Nothing uncomfortable or dodgy about that at all.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They've admitted to other errors this season but only stretch to publicly threatening their own officials if it happens against Liverpool?

Nothing uncomfortable or dodgy about that at all.
That's the thing, people will point to the shocking decision yesterday and claim that Liverpool don't get preferential treatment, whilst completely ignoring the backlash that is occuring right now

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Erm, why are you acting like this was another standard day of bad refereeing and VAR?

This was absolutely on a different level to what is already as close to rock bottom level of officiating we already have in this country.
Last season Liverpool dumped Wolves out of the FA cup because Wolves had a last minute winning goal disallowed for a phantom offside that VAR refused to check. This was in the same game the rules mysteriously changed to allow Salah to score when he WAS offside.

We've had a goal disallowed where the VAR literally drew an s shaped offside line on the screen and a player sent off by VAR for being slapped by their opponent. Sheffield United (I think) got relegated on the back of scoring a goal that VAR wouldn't check whether it crossed the line or not. Palace lost a game to Liverpool on the back of the referee correctly ignoring a dive only for VAR to overule him and award a penalty. City lost to us last season because Rashford was about a mile offside. These are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

How was this any worse or even as bad as most of these? Just because Tottenham won?

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I think you have "it" in the sense that you have the ability to punish worse teams and are brilliant offensively, but you're still lacking in midfield and defence, which is the main reason you're not going to win the title. Midfield is probably going to improve the more they play together - or not - but I can't see how that is going to be enough.
The midfield is not quite as good as a few years ago only because Fabinho at the time was one of the best holding midfielders in the world, but it’s getting there. The subtraction of a shot Fabinho,Henderson, Ox, and Milner has actually improved our midfield over last years with the new additions. Jones has stepped it up and obviously has a mean streak, while SoBoSly has completely been a revelation. Looks like our defense is getting back to it’s best and Allison is the best goalkeeper in the world. Salah is Salah and now Nunez is showing why we paid all that money . I think we are there at the end.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That's the thing, people will point to the shocking decision yesterday and claim that Liverpool don't get preferential treatment, whilst completely ignoring the backlash that is occuring right now
I didn't even think it was the worst one this season. It's a close call and it does look offside in real time. The issue is the lack of lines being drawn but that's not as bad as deliberately not drawing them straight or pretending all the cameras stopped working, both of which are things that have happened in this country and not been condemned. Onana literally got away with full force punching someone in the head on the opening weekend. I get that offside is factual but so is whether punching an opponent in the head is a foul.

The match report on the BBC is embarrassing too. Its written as if Liverpool put in the most heroic performance in the history of football. Having two players sent off in the same game due to your own indiscipline and then losing as a result isn't anything to be proud of, and definitely doesn't constitute having "it". The Jota one is about the most braindead thing you'll see all season.

Neutral like Switzerland

...if Switzerland was in Liverpool
Supports
Orlando Pirates
Watching the game yesterday all I could think was, any other team going a man down... And then two men down would have thrown in the towel. This Liverpool team is scarry af, they will push City hardest me thinks but will fall short... Ceiling is so high for them and don't see why they can't get to the 90 plus points from next season as they along with City are the only two teams that have experience in reaching these lofty points totals.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Watching the game yesterday all I could think was, any other team going a man down... And then two men down would have thrown in the towel. This Liverpool team is scarry af, they will push City hardest me thinks but will fall short... Ceiling is so high for them and don't see why they can't get to the 90 plus points from next season as they along with City are the only two teams that have experience in reaching these lofty points totals.
Most teams tend to not go down to 9 players in the first place. Last team I can remember doing that in a similar status of fixture was Chelsea against us back in Ferguson's time, and they also made a game of it and only lost in stoppage time. It didn't help them get near winning the title.

If I remember rightly they had a big whine abut the injustice of it all and then their form completely dropped off.

I've not watched every Liverpool game but the ones I have seen haven't been convincing. Winning games on small margins or by virtue of the opposition missing chances they really shouldn't have. That might get you in a title race 10 years ago IF your luck held out. It wont against this City side.

DavidDeSchmikes

Most teams tend to not go down to 9 players in the first place. Last team I can remember doing that in a similar status of fixture was Chelsea against us back in Ferguson's time, and they also made a game of it and only lost in stoppage time. It didn't help them get near winning the title.

If I remember rightly they had a big whine abut the injustice of it all and then their form completely dropped off.

I've not watched every Liverpool game but the ones I have seen haven't been convincing. Winning games on small margins or by virtue of the opposition missing chances they really shouldn't have. That might get you in a title race 10 years ago IF your luck held out. It wont against this City side.
They beat us in the league cup came a few days later, but failed to win in their next 6 league games

Tyrion

Erm, why are you acting like this was another standard day of bad refereeing and VAR?

This was absolutely on a different level to what is already as close to rock bottom level of officiating we already have in this country.
Because it was. We've seen VAR get it wrong before on offsides and other things. What's different this time is it was Liverpool and their fans are the biggest whiners in football.

People have been calling officiating rock bottom for at least 20 years and that's all I'm old enough to remember.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
They beat us in the league cup came a few days later, but failed to win in their next 6 league games
Yep I was at that game and they made a meal of that as well. Last minute equaliser against a youth team defence courtesy of Nani having a brain fart moment.

Its too early in the season to fully judge anyone imo, but Liverpool will need to improve if they're going to challenge City. Last 3 league games they have lost to Spurs, could have been 4-0 down at half time to Wolves and gave West Ham enough opportunities to have got a result. A couple of weeks before they couldn't beat an awful Chelsea side. You can't be playing percentages every week when the benchmark is a City side who just obliterate most teams.

Taribo's Gap

It's just hard to feel to sorry about incidents like yesterday when every little incident that goes against Liverpool is made out to be part of some grand, conspiratorial masterplan to suppress their greatness, but their fans conveniently and consistently ignore, minimize or brush aside the bad behavior of their own players and bad decisions that go in their favor.

After crying wolf or crying conspiracy so often, when you have a legitimate grievance like yesterday, the lacrimal ducts start shooting blanks.

The_Midfielder

They have 5 attacking players that would walk into our team..
Jota, Salah, Gakpo , Diaz and Nunez (yes)..
They are not lucky.. they create a lot of chances ..

Tyrion

The absolute concern in the media :lol:
I know, it's desperate isn't it. Neville tries so hard to suck up to them for some reason and his initial reaction to every decision is to take Liverpools side as if that will stop their fans hating him. The media panders to them a lot in general. Apparently the FA, PGMOL and UEFA are all secretly conspiring against Liverpool.

It does make it funny though.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
They’ve actually been unlucky this season. Had a couple dodgy reds, offside goal yesterday that was onside. Think it’s everyone wanting city to break a record and win 4 in a row.

Tyrion

They’ve actually been unlucky this season. Had a couple dodgy reds, offside goal yesterday that was onside. Think it’s everyone wanting city to break a record and win 4 in a row.
They'll call it a conspiracy but over the season, it'll level out. It normally does.

Honestly I don't think City is a factor. No-one really cares about them. They cantered to a treble a few months ago and no-one gives a damn already.

Lee565

In the general scheme of things I don't like to see the type of tackle jones made given as a red, we see it happen plenty of times where the players foot rolls over the top of the ball and momentum carrying it onto the opposition player leg, I get it if is made with real force and going through the ball and player but not like we saw yesterday and I am not trying to jump to liverpool defence either as it good to seem them finally get some bad officiating go against them for once.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
What the actual feck is happening on here?

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
Do you have any data backing up this claim of preferential treatment? What is it based on? Anecdotal observations?

Dansk

It's sickening how blatantly the media tries to fellate Liverpool. If the Prem were a boarding school, the media would be the headmaster and Liverpool his son who is protected, coddled and given preferential treatment whenever there's room to do so. If anything bad ever happens to Liverpool, it's highlighted as a grievous wrong that must be corrected immediately, whereas similar incidents that all other clubs go through on a regular basis are ignored and downplayed.

They were not slighted any worse yesterday than we are at least half a dozen times per season, and they've enjoyed years of absolutely ridiculous favours from referees, so they're still about 5000% ahead on that account. It's just that when you're used to everyone bending over backwards to give you the easiest possible path in life, any sort of opposition feels like a monumental injustice that the world must scramble to set right.

BlahRules

Liverpool is going to have preferential treatment now from the officials. Anything 50/50 will be going in their favor.

The handball was never reviewed and the media made it out to be new rules then Arsenal got a penalty for the same incident and nothing was given. Especially even when Bruno said we should receive an apology which was laughed at. Now they're acting like it never happened. Honestly, the Spurs game would've been totally result.

Dr. StrangeHate

All the other shit decisions were just brushed under the carpet but because it's Liverpool, something might actually be done?
It's only fair they get favourable decisions for the next 100 games which in Liverpool world means 'the usual'.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Do you have any data backing up this claim of preferential treatment? What is it based on? Anecdotal observations?
Ok. Who the feck is this guy and why is he acting like he's the Conversation Police?

Last edited:

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What the actual feck is happening on here?
Don’t get me wrong I’m glad there getting dodgy decisions… was just saying as the thread name is Liverpool are the luckiest team…

noodlehair

"It's like..."
In the general scheme of things I don't like to see the type of tackle jones made given as a red, we see it happen plenty of times where the players foot rolls over the top of the ball and momentum carrying it onto the opposition player leg, I get it if is made with real force and going through the ball and player but not like we saw yesterday and I am not trying to jump to liverpool defence either as it good to seem them finally get some bad officiating go against them for once.
I don't get the debate on that one. It was a red card. Its only put into question because the officials seem to pick and choose when to enforce it, and the media/pundits seem to pick and choose when they think it should be enforced.

I dont actually think its difficult to not go into a challenge by directing your studs towards the opponent. Out of control/tackle that endangers an opponent is supposed to be a red, and you can't accidentally drive your studs into the mid part of someone's leg and then claim you were both in control AND didn't mean to do it. It can only be one or the other amd either way the card colour is the same.

Just watching it back and it's not even one of those where you can argue there's an element of it being harsh anyway. He literally lunges at the spurs player with no control at all. It's not like the ball gets moved slightly out of his path he's just so wreckless he misses it. There's been multiple reds already this season for less bad versions of the same offence.

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
Ok. Who the feck is this guy and why is he acting like he's the Conversation Police?
I'm guessing that is a no then?

I'm just someone who find these lazy takes about preferrantial treatment boring when they are not based in reality.

Dansk

I dont actually think its difficult to not go into a challenge by directing your studs towards the opponent. Out of control/tackle that endangers an opponent is supposed to be a red, and you can't accidentally drive your studs into the mid part of someone's leg and then claim you were both in control AND didn't mean to do it. It can only be one or the other amd either way the card colour is the same.
Yep, this. While I've never played professionally, I've played plenty of football at the amateur level, and there is no such thing as a tackle where you weren't the least bit reckless but still ended up smashing your studs into the opponent's leg. That's always your fault to some extent. Even if you didn't intend to do it, you went into the tackle in a manner where that was a possible outcome, and that simply isn't allowed. If you take the necessary precautions - i.e. what the rules literally say you must do - then you physically cannot end up stomping on the other player's leg. Anytime that happens, it's because you went into the tackle in a manner where that was a risk, and that's against the rules. It's that simple.

You might accidentally brush your studs across someone's calf if your leg is physically knocked in that direction through the impact of the challenge, but that's a different matter. Anytime you drive your studs into an opponent with force, you did it wrong and it's a foul. It's trivial to tackle in a manner where there's no chance that you end up driving your studs into someone's leg. That can only happen when you're reckless. That's against the rules because it has such a high chance of injuring the other player, and it's entirely avoidable if you care about other players' safety.

The only exception, which happens once in a while, is if you're literally just running and then another player slides in and places his leg where your foot is coming down on your next step, and it's impossible to react fast enough. I've seen red cards given for those (Pogba got one once, I recall), but it shouldn't be a card or even a foul. That's the only time you can sink your studs into a leg and not be at fault.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yep, this. While I've never played professionally, I've played plenty of football at the amateur level, and there is no such thing as a tackle where you weren't the least bit reckless but still ended up smashing your studs into the opponent's leg. That's always your fault to some extent. Even if you didn't intend to do it, you went into the tackle in a manner where that was a possible outcome, and that simply isn't allowed. If you take the necessary precautions - i.e. what the rules literally say you must do - then you physically cannot end up stomping on the other player's leg. Anytime that happens, it's because you went into the tackle in a manner where that was a risk, and that's against the rules. It's that simple.

You might accidentally brush your studs across someone's calf if your leg is physically knocked in that direction through the impact of the challenge, but that's a different matter. Anytime you drive your studs into an opponent with force, you did it wrong and it's a foul. It's trivial to tackle in a manner where there's no chance that you end up driving your studs into someone's leg. That can only happen when you're reckless. That's against the rules because it has such a high chance of injuring the other player, and it's entirely avoidable if you care about other players' safety.

The only exception, which happens once in a while, is if you're literally just running and then another player slides in and places his leg where your foot is coming down on your next step, and it's impossible to react fast enough. I've seen red cards given for those (Pogba got one once, I recall), but it shouldn't be a card or even a foul. That's the only time you can sink your studs into a leg and not be at fault.
Its not just all that as well, but if you watch it back it just is a bad tackle and a red card. You get the ones where the player slides in and their foot rolls over the ball (Casemiro last season) where I can at least understand the debate. Even then I still have no issue if that's a red every time because no one is forcing you to fly into a tackle and risk it. My only sympathy would be that there's an element of bad luck involved.

This one though he's he's gone onto one knee and then aimlessly lunged with his standing foot. Not only would it be near impossible to have any control at that point but what on earth was he even trying to do? Stamp on the ball? I do think it was clearly an accident but it was also really clumsy and could have broken someone's leg.

What doesn't help is that Neville is a pathetic drama queen unfortunately and decided to make an issue out of it and then over dramatise the offside as well. Now he's on twitter trying to be the voice of reason despite being one of the chief sh*t stirrers over the issue (as usual). I think our officials are useless beyond belief but they're never going to be able to win when there are sh*t stirrers in the media who will literally pretend correct decisions are wrong, egg on managers, fans etc. to question, disrespect and abuse officials, and then act like it isn't their fault.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Can’t wait for literally every decision going there way now by match officials and VAR.

JogaBonitoRooney

With the amount of sooking from Liverpool fans and media you'd think this is the first time there's ever been a referee mistake.

Also why do they try to throw the two deserved red cards in there to complain about. Those were fair. Stick to only complaining about the legitimate offside mistake otherwise nobody will be on your side at all.

Also the match fixing allegations :lol:

Super Hans

So, nobody in this thread seems to understand what actually happened on the Diaz VAR call. The ref disallowed the goal. The VAR incorrectly thought the goal had been given by the ref, then agreed with that and quickly said, "check complete". Game continues. What is baffling is that neither of the VAR guys, who must have noticed that the score hadn't changed from 0-0, said anything after realising their error :lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So, nobody in this thread seems to understand what actually happened on the Diaz VAR call. The ref disallowed the goal. The VAR incorrectly thought the goal had been given by the ref, then agreed with that and quickly said, "check complete". Game continues. What is baffling is that neither of the VAR guys, who must have noticed that the score hadn't changed from 0-0, said anything after realising their error :lol:
Everyone understands that

IRELANDUNITED

So every time a decision goes against them they want a replay? Did they demand a replay when they got a wrongly penalty decision in the 2019 cl final or is it only when it suits them?