Liverpool on brink of being sold (now actually sold) (what could possibly go wrong?)

Doogie

2 bids accepted according to Sky sources
Liverpool FC On Brink Of Being Sold After Accepting Two Offers | Business | Sky News

BBC confirms that there have been made 2 offers today.
BBC Sport - Football - Liverpool's board receives two new bids to buy club

and ESPN are running with the story as well.
Liverpool on the brink of sale as two credible bids tabled - Barclays Premier League - ESPN Soccernet

Apparently the owner of Boston Red Sox, John W. Henry, is one bidder. His worth is $1.1bn according to Forbes 'billionaire list' in 2009.

Spammy

Being watched; will learn to post in the correct f
Gloves are worn for traction primarily. Someone li
"But it is thought Hicks and Gillett are against accepting either of the bids as neither would see the American duo walk away with a profit."

I've given up hope a long time ago, it only makes things hurt more.

Lance Uppercut

"But the club's co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are understood to be opposing the sale of the Reds to either of the two parties."

:smirk:

EDIT damn you, Spammy.

Doogie

I'm not sure how much power Hicks and Gillet have anymore to veto an offer.

WireRed

"But it is thought Hicks and Gillett are against accepting either of the bids as neither would see the American duo walk away with a profit."

I've given up hope a long time ago, it only makes things hurt more.
Aren't the banks ready strip H&G of all control of Liverpool in about a week or so? That'd give them little choice but to accept the offers on the table and cut their losses surely?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
6th, 11th and 15th Oct are supposed to be landmark dates with RBS. Not sure why anymore to be honest.

The american twats have pulled this stunt earlier with so called bids from Yirdi, Huang, etc, just to make it appear we were moving in the right direction so they could get their load extension. That time again...

Crerand Legend

More yanks, if I were a Liverpool fan I would worried. American owners have done for EPL clubs they own what icebergs did for the titanic.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Aren't the banks ready strip H&G of all control of Liverpool in about a week or so? That'd give them little choice but to accept the offers on the table and cut their losses surely?
I don't understand why any new owners would buy them now and not wait until the debt gets written off when the banks step in?

Can anyone explain this to me? It's been bothering me for a while now.

Rahul

6th, 11th and 15th Oct are supposed to be landmark dates with RBS. Not sure why anymore to be honest.

The american twats have pulled this stunt earlier with so called bids from Yirdi, Huang, etc, just to make it appear we were moving in the right direction so they could get their load extension. That time again...
You could be right

Crerand Legend

Worried?

Worried??

I have been shitting blood for 3 years.
Why are these Americans all buying English soccer clubs with the prospect of making little money short term at least and in the case of Liverpool fans and ourselves almost guaranteed hostility to their ownership. They must know something we dont but I am sure ordinary fans like we all are will pay for it

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's going to happen eventually. And they're going to get cash to spend sadly. It's tougher for us because we're valued higher. Am I correct on that?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Why are these Americans all buying English soccer clubs with the prospect of making little money short term at least and in the case of Liverpool fans and ourselves almost guaranteed hostility to their ownership. They must know something we dont but I am sure ordinary fans like we all are will pay for it
Liverpool are an absolute bargain at the moment. You'll never get them cheaper than this. They do have a pretty big fanbase, and theres always someone who thinks a big fanbase can eventually be milked for big profits.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's going to happen eventually. And they're going to get cash to spend sadly. It's tougher for us because we're valued higher. Am I correct on that?
Nope. Not really.

It's tougher for them because they need a new stadium to be turned into the kind of profitable business that will attract the serious money. Getting the necessary funding for that stadium in the current economic climate is a major hurdle.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Unless we go down the proven Arsenal route. Will need a billionaire behind us to get competitive interest rates though.

charleysurf

Well, the problem is that Hicks and Gillete are in trouble financially to an extent that the Glazers are not (yet).

United fans have been against the Glazers from the start, while Liverpool fans welcomed H&G. But unfortunately for United, the Glazers are pretty secure for another couple of years yet, and can still look for a big price for the club.

Liverpool are in the relegation zone and have no CL football, and a smallish stadium. With owners under pressure the price of the club will be less than a third that of United.

Spoony

The People's President
Nope. Not really.

It's tougher for them because they need a new stadium to be turned into the kind of profitable business that will attract the serious money. Getting the necessary funding for that stadium in the current economic climate is a major hurdle.
Yes. Basically new owners will have to find an extra £400m if they want to compete with United and Arsenal.

Crerand Legend

After Rafa's mess it is going to take a hell of alot of money, Im sure the new yanks will have limits

Crerand Legend

Unless we go down the proven Arsenal route. Will need a billionaire behind us to get competitive interest rates though.
I have an idea, the Glazers sell us and buy you boys, they are supposed to be worth $2.4bn

Burndogg

Magic Meat
Fair play to them, as we should be well aware, no club deserves to have its stability juggled with for the sake of making these rich cnuts richer.

charleysurf

H&G have tried to sack the board! They must be absolutely desperate! This sale could be wrapped up quickly.

And this came out in an actual club statement!

H&G don't have any power to block a sale from what I've heard. Maybe they just want to see if they can wring a few more dollars out of the purchasers.

Liverpool FC statement - Liverpool FC

The Board of Directors have received two excellent financial offers to buy the Club that would repay all its long-term debt. A Board meeting was called today to review these bids and approve a sale. Shortly prior to the meeting, the owners - Tom Hicks and George Gillett - sought to remove Managing Director Christian Purslow and Commercial Director Ian Ayre from the Board, seeking to replace them with Mack Hicks and Lori Kay McCutcheon.

This matter is now subject to legal review and a further announcement will be made in due course.

Meanwhile Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre continue to explore every possible route to achieving a sale of the Club at the earliest opportunity.

Amir

The Board of Directors have received two excellent financial offers to buy the Club that would repay all its long-term debt. A Board meeting was called today to review these bids and approve a sale. Shortly prior to the meeting, the owners - Tom Hicks and George Gillett - sought to remove Managing Director Christian Purslow and Commercial Director Ian Ayre from the Board, seeking to replace them with Mack Hicks and Lori Kay McCutcheon.

--

Funny stuff, that!

Crerand Legend

--

Funny stuff, that!
And sadly for Liverpool fans more laughs to come, this looks messy and not the Messi they want

VoetbalWizard

if the dippers aren't a public company, why would hicks and gillette ever put board members on that could potentially not vote 'their way'.

IIRC the glazers load red football/our board with family members mostly essentially making it impossible for the board to ever go against them.

charleysurf

if the dippers aren't a public company, why would hicks and gillette ever put board members on that could potentially not vote 'their way'.

IIRC the glazers load red football/our board with family members mostly essentially making it impossible for the board to ever go against them.
I think the banks forced H&G to pretty much hand over control of the sale of the club to Purslow. The club was always going to be sold from that point on. H&G's financial situation was so bad that they already pretty much lost control of the club.