Liverpool

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
Benitez has made a proper mess out of his transfer dealings. He's bought so many players he didn'tneed to buy, and sold so many players he didn't need to sell, that he is no left with Torres and Gerrard and a squad of average players and feck all money.
And the wage bill on these hoards of average players is where the money is going.

It is Houllier all over again. Deja Vu
Agreed. Been saying that for ages now.

twitter thread suggester
Carragher and....?

The problem is a lot more than just injuries, we're being outplayed by teams who have far weaker sides than we do. There's a lack of pace at the back, and a lack of everything in midfield- Aquilani should go some was to addressing this though.

I like Rafa and it's clear he's working under financial restraints but ultimately the buck stops with the manager and eventually somethings got to give- the owners sell up to someone who can allow us to compete or we continue to fall short and Rafa loses his job.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Just to prove there's a cloud in every silver lining, what bothers me is that Liverpool are going to have too much time on their hands for the rest of the season.

While we're trying to hold tired players together with elastic bandages and painkillers they'll be giving their lot a week off before FA Cup matches, a fortnight off before CL games, a month off before the Lancashire Senior Cup Final. It's just not right.

Come on Lyon

thoward

It's not a lisp!
Just to prove there's a cloud in every silver lining, what bothers me is that Liverpool are going to have too much time on their hands for the rest of the season.

While we're trying to hold tired players together with elastic bandages and painkillers they'll be giving their lot a week off before FA Cup matches, a fortnight off before CL games, a month off before the Lancashire Senior Cup Final. It's just not right.

Come on Lyon
They'll have the distraction of the Europa League though. And even if they got through to the knock out stage they might get someone like Barcelona and get knocked out in the last 16. If they don't get out of the group and also fail to finish in the top four this season, there'll be big problems. Being in the Europa League could turn out to be more of a distraction for them.

Kinky Melinky

That's what it is. How many shit players has Rafa brought in. It's quite amazing.
The post below pretty much summarizes how the Liverpool fans are feeling regarding their epic dip in form. True scouse style, fingers are pointing all over the shop, but the expectedly they'll conclude that it's everyone else fault bar the manager and their team. This, my friends, is why they haven't won the league in so very very long

I don't like to get into the blame game, but hardly any of this is Benitez's fault. Genuinely. Yes, I am sure the fact that we have a large number of dreadful players is not lost on most people. But to then extend that to 'Rafa fecking bought them' is so tiresome as to be beyond belief. He wanted a Dani Alves, before everybody knew how great he was. Parry told him to feck off. We got Alvaro Arbeloa. He wanted Samuel Eto'o during the prime of his career (who also wanted to come). We got Dirk Kuyt. He wanted Giorgio Chiellini, he wanted David Silva, he wanted...(etc etc). Parry, Moores, G+H, any combination of the above fecked it up, we got either bargain basement dross, journeymen, or mediocrities instead; the list goes on and on. The net spend argument is futile as well considering the state of the squad he inherited and the way in which his transfer dealing has had to work given the fecking plethora of intolerable contraints he has had to work under. The whole 'Rafa bought them, though' argument also breaks down at the very obvious fact that improvement under him has had to be, out of necessity, incremental. He buys/inherits a shitty player, because he has to. They are sold, to be replaced by a slightly better one. He in turn is replaced by a better one. And so on. He inherits a Steve Finnan (who wasn't awful I grant you that, but by way of example). Replaced with the OK-ish Arbeloa. Replaced with the better Johnson. See also Garcia, Benayoun, etc. He doesn't have the Chelsea-esque luxury of deciding that someone in a certain position is shite, then going out and spunking 22m off the cuff on the best replacement in the market. Sorry, boys and girls.

I'm not super fanning like to many of the 5,000+ posts, sarcastic to the point of deserving death, self-proclaimed ultra-loyal (but rather lacking in the cognitive abilities area) supporters on here. I just think that if you break this down analytically and detach yourself from the anger associated with how awful we actually are at the moment, this is the inescapable conclusion.

Kinky Melinky

the owners sell up to someone who can allow us to compete or we continue to fall short and Rafa loses his job.
Everyone over in RAWK seems to believe that the owners are going to sell in the new year. Is this utter speculative bollox based on what the fans want, or is there some meat in the rumour ?

Kinky Melinky

To me that would suggest the talent is there and the issues are more to do Rafa's tactics and motivation of the team for smaller teams.
But in saying that Mick, the best players in the world are the players who can play their best as consistently as possible. We all know as football fans that players have dips in form. It's only natural, but some players have fewer dips. It's about getting as many of those types of players into a club to be led by a manager who can man manage and motivate to the highest standard.

In Liverpool's case I feel they are struggling with 3 issues. Firstly their strength in depth is abysmal. A few injuries and they look a completely different side. Secondly, as you said, there is a huge question mark over Rafa's ability to motivate as well as his tactics. Fine Torres was injured but Benayoun ? :houllier: That was tactical suicide in my book. And the lastly I do think that some of their players are pretty average at the best of times

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Would you ever see Fergie take off our two best players in a crucial league game we were losing by just 1 goal?

I'm trying to think of a match where Rooney or Ronaldo were withdrawn whilst we were behind, but I can't think of any, and certainly not any where both were withdrawn.

It's decisions like those which leave me thinking Rafa is looking for his £18m severance package, so he can take a nice little job in Spain. He is obsessed with money afterall.

Kinky Melinky

Would you ever see Fergie take off our two best players in a crucial league game we were losing by just 1 goal?

I'm trying to think of a match where Rooney or Ronaldo were withdrawn whilst we were behind, but I can't think of any, and certainly not any where both were withdrawn.
Yeah I have to agree it's all a bit odd with Rafa. It's not the first time he's made these types of decisions either. If it's evidently clear to the rest of the premiership that Rafa is making these howlers than how in the name of God don't the Liverpool fans see this ? So many of them are pointing to

1. The Americans
2. Financial Constraints
3. F.A Conspiracy involving Ferguson
4. Bad luck

....but where the hell do the team and manager come into it ?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
But in saying that Mick, the best players in the world are the players who can play their best as consistently as possible. We all know as football fans that players have dips in form. It's only natural, but some players have fewer dips. It's about getting as many of those types of players into a club to be led by a manager who can man manage and motivate to the highest standard.

In Liverpool's case I feel they are struggling with 3 issues. Firstly their strength in depth is abysmal. A few injuries and they look a completely different side. Secondly, as you said, there is a huge question mark over Rafa's ability to motivate as well as his tactics. Fine Torres was injured but Benayoun ? :houllier: That was tactical suicide in my book. And the lastly I do think that some of their players are pretty average at the best of times
Yeah I agree with all that, I was talking specifically about yesterday.

If a team beats Utd 2-0 one week and then loses 3-1 to Fulham the next it, to some degree has to be down to preparation and motivation. Obviously Rafa had one eye on the midweek game and maybe that transferred to the players.

If it was a one off you could put it down to a bad day but they drop points to smaller teams like that each year.

Rooney24

If they get beat midweek they are virtually out of the champions league. This could be one of the most enjoyable times I have ever had goading my scouse supporting mates.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Thing is, even if they somehow manage to beat Lyon midweek, their chances of qualifying to the next round will still be slim. They are pretty much out of Europe already.

Sarni

I think they'll beat Lyon on Wednesday and win the rest of their games and go through.

I'm even thinking of putting money on it.
Even that won't make them certain to go through.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
What's the implications if they draw the game?

I think this is a likely result as they'll be so desperate not to lose that they might just close up shop and play on the break, leading to both sides cancelling eachother out I reckon.

MUFCgal

I think this is a likely result as they'll be so desperate not to lose that they might just close up shop and play on the break, leading to both sides cancelling eachother out I reckon.
Even a draw still wouldn't be enough I don't think. You'd bank on Fiorentina winning which would put them on 9 points I think. If Lyon & Liverpool draw, it would put Lyon up to 10 points whilst Liverpool would be on 4 points.

Lyon are going to go through, no doubt about that. So between Fiorentina and Liverpool, you're looking at Fiorentina dropping points in one or two matches and Liverpool winning all of their remaining matches. It's not entirely impossible but I'd be surprised if it did happen.

Sarni

They are pretty much out if they draw.

They will be on 4 points, whereas Lyon will have 10 - they won't be able to surpass them. Fiorentina will be on 9 points and will need to:
- beat Lyon at home and nothing else
- avoid a defeat at Anfield
- get a draw against Lyon at home and then avoid a 3-goal defeat at Anfield

pillory

Thing is, even if they somehow manage to beat Lyon midweek, their chances of qualifying to the next round will still be slim. They are pretty much out of Europe already.
Nah, if they beat Lyon and then Fiorentina at home, they'll either come second behind Lyon (if Lyon get something at Fiorentina), or it will go down to GD from games between the three teams, and then Liverpool will finish above Lyon.

(Assuming no-one fecks up against Debrecen.)

Rooney24

Nah, if they beat Lyon and then Fiorentina at home, they'll either come second behind Lyon (if Lyon get something at Fiorentina), or it will go down to GD from games between the three teams, and then Liverpool will finish above Lyon.

(Assuming no-one fecks up against Debrecen.)
I thought head to head results took precedence over GD?

pillory

I thought head to head results took precedence over GD?
Yes, I was being incredibly stupid.

Or was I? I'm confused.

Ah, I see, I fecked up my GD calculations.

Here's the Debrecen-less table:

Lyon 6p 3-1
Fiorentina 3p 2-1
Liverpool 0p 1-4

Assuming Liverpool beat Lyon and Fiorentina, they'll go through if their wins are big enough. Two 2-0s will do. Two 1-0s too if Fiorentina don't beat Lyon or beat them by three. And if they win by one in Lyon, they can make sure of progress by beating Fiorentina by three.

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
If Lyon have a fully fit side for Wednesday they’ll beat Liverpool at home....Lyon are a very strong side on their own turf and Liverpool defensively are shambolic to put it politely....Im not sure how Lyon are doing fitness wise but if their anything close to full strength id have my money on them turning liverpool over by a 2 goal margin....

Remember this is the same Lyon who beat Liverpool at anfield less than a fortnight ago with their best midfielder (Toulalan) being used as an emergency stand in centre half and their only other recognised centre back taken off injured inside the half hour….yet they still totally outplayed Liverpool in the second half…

AttackingFlair

I would laugh if they didn't make it through, but you know that's not going to happen. I remember they were close to it a couple of seasons ago but yeah typical.

Sarni

I think that could be a tricky journey for them going out to Hungary where it's feckin freezing this time of year.

Ladyboy will be wearing his best pair of tights for that one.
Nah, it's not freezing in Hungary. It's a bit warmer than in Poland and it's not really very cold in Poland now.

Sarni

Realistically, they will lose to Lyon on Wednesday, beat Debrecen in two weeks and draw against Fiorentina at home in their final game.