Liverpool

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Realistically, they will lose to Lyon on Wednesday, beat Debrecen in two weeks and draw against Fiorentina at home in their final game.
I somehow can't see that happening because they'll have Torres back and Lyon doesn't have defenders good enough to deal with him.
Hopefully I'll be proven wrong

VoetbalWizard

one thing i would like to point out is that while rafa is off his rocker, if i were owning liverpool (and actually cared that they did well on the pitch), i'm not sure if i'd sack him. i don't think they could get in a replacement who would do much better with that shite team (especially in europe). they are really in a catch-22 situation and rafa essentially has the club hostage and he knows it. it isn't like he would be out of work that long either. he could walk into the madrid job and if were to get sacked, i wouldn't be surprised if city looked to try to get him if sparky doesn't have them in the top four this season (considering that they'll spend another 50-75 million this january).

RedCanuck

Liverpool may as well pack up and prepare for the Europa League. Fiorentina are likely to beat Debrecen which means that Fiorentina will need a point from their remaining 2 games to move on; Lyon will qualify.
That's one way to look at it. I'm viewing it that Poo must beat Fiorentina at Anfield and match their results against the other 2 teams. That would see them level on points and we are into some tiebreakers which I can't be arsed to look up.

Hopefully Lyon will beat Poo and give Fiorentina a stand-off draw arranged prior to the match ;)

Bread

Sorry lads but they will win, they had a must win game about 2 weeks ago a won comfortably, the bastards always show up when thier bollocks are on the line.

come on lyon though

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's an interesting question, in terms of the race for the 4th place in the league, as to whether Liverpool getting knocked out of the CL this week will help or hinder them.

Not getting knocked out will impose an extra strain on their squad in terms of player injuries and tiredness from the extra matches, whereas getting knocked out could have a fatal demoralising effect.

I'm in two minds about it, but on balance tend to think that their league campaign will suffer more if they get knocked out.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Playing on Thursday before league games on Sunday (possibly even on Saturday) will hinder their campaign too. Especially as they are likely to get trips to some weird places in Europa League.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Can't believe the deluded bastards at Rawk haven't picked up on this 'that I can see'. If we beat Chelsea this weekend and they win, they are only 7 points behind the top of the table. Get their shit together and they are still well and truly within striking distances.

Sarni

Good point and won't they actually play more games if they end up in the Europa thingy?
They will.

I believe they will start their Europa League campaign at Last 32. They'd be in Last 16 if they went through in Champions League, which means they will get two extra games in UEFA Cup.

They are very likely to go far in that competition too seeing as there are hardly any good teams participating, in Champions League they would be likely to get knocked out after two or four games.

I think Europa League is actually more tiresome than Champions League as you play more games, travel more (there are hardly any teams outside top leagues left in knock-out rounds of CL) and play at very inconvenient days.

Sarni

Can't believe the deluded bastards at Rawk haven't picked up on this 'that I can see'. If we beat Chelsea this weekend and they win, they are only 7 points behind the top of the table. Get their shit together and they are still well and truly within striking distances.
7 points is a lot, especially as they will have to catch up with TWO teams and count on both teams doing much, much worse than them. Not to mention that we would still be ahead of them and they'd have to hope that we do worse as well.

What bothers me is that in seasons when United found themselves in difficult position, especially in Mourinho's days, a subject of us catching up with them was hardly brought up. When it's Liverpool or Chelsea, people seldom write them off even at most difficult times.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Although they could just do a Spurs and only play their reserve side.

kietotheworld

7 points is a lot, especially as they will have to catch up with TWO teams and count on both teams doing much, much worse than them. Not to mention that we would still be ahead of them and they'd have to hope that we do worse as well.
They have to catch up with at least 3 teams who have realistic aspirations to win the title. Arsenal cannot be written off and even City are favourites to win the League ahead of Liverpool.

What bothers me is that in seasons when United found themselves in difficult position, especially in Mourinho's days, a subject of us catching up with them was hardly brought up. When it's Liverpool or Chelsea, people seldom write them off even at most difficult times.
Part of it is some fear of magically influencing the result of the game by 'jinxing' it with internet posts. The bloke who started the 'As for the League it's game set and match, United' was actually blamed for Liverpool getting slightly closer to us in the League, and before that, someone who called Alves a flop was blamed for him scoring twice against us.

prateik

Been injured for a while and could need surgery which will keep him out until December-January.
no fecking wai .
that would be laughable if true .. not the injury to a player part .. the liverpool being fecked part

Sarni

They have to catch up with at least 3 teams who have realistic aspirations to win the title. Arsenal cannot be written off and even City are favourites to win the League ahead of Liverpool.
Yeah, I mentioned Arsenal as the second team because they will have the same points tally as Chelsea if they win their game in hand. If we lose on Sunday, we will be 5 points behind Chelsea and possibly 5 points behind Arsenal in a while. 4 points ahead of Liverpool, if I'm not mistaken, though. So they will have to rely on us all doing very poorly.

Part of it is some fear of magically influencing the result of the game by 'jinxing' it with internet posts. The bloke who started the 'As for the League it's game set and match, United' was actually blamed for Liverpool getting slightly closer to us in the League, and before that, someone who called Alves a flop was blamed for him scoring twice against us.
I see. :lol: I was actually shocked that people still considered Chelsea title challengers when they were 7 or 9 points behind us with 4 games to go last season, quoting games against Hull and some other random mid-table team as tough.

VII

If Rafa don't get them into the next round of the CL, they can't afford to sack him.

VP

Anyone else getting reminded a bit of 2004-05? Shit Liverpool team struggling to qualify for the second round, doing nothing in the league. I think I might stick 5 pounds on them to win the CL.

Laphroaig

Anyone else getting reminded a bit of 2004-05? Shit Liverpool team struggling to qualify for the second round, doing nothing in the league. I think I might stick 5 pounds on them to win the CL.
That'll be five pounds down the drain if Liverpool will be without Gerrard and Torres tomorrow.

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
Cavalieri
Degen (ineligible)
Kelly
Johnson
Aurelio
Skrtel
Agger
Aquilani
El Zhar
Riera
Gerrard
Torres
N'Gog

A Scouser posted this on the SI forums - all these players are either struggling for fitness, unfit, injured or ineligible.
Foster
Neville
Rafael
O'Shea
Evra
Evans
Vidic
Scholes
Tosic
Giggs
Rooney
Berbatov
Macheda

That would more or less be the equivalent players for us.

Would still leave us with a XI of van der Sar; Hargreaves, Fabio, Rio, Brown; Valencia, Carrick, Fletcher, Nani; Welbeck, Owen

MUFCgal

Cavalieri
Degen (ineligible)
Kelly
Johnson
Aurelio
Skrtel
Agger
Aquilani
El Zhar
Riera
Gerrard
Torres
N'Gog

A Scouser posted this on the SI forums - all these players are either struggling for fitness, unfit, injured or ineligible.
Who were the 12 players we had out all at one time last season?