Liverpool

RooneyLegend

Their lack of quality in the middle of the park has come back to bite them. The limitations of the endless amounts of limited players they have there was exposed as expected when chelsea decided to put them under extreme pressure. Seems Rogers doesn't understand that in order to play possession football you need players in midfield who are good when in possession of the football. If january ends without him purchasing a couple of midfielders then I think its fair to say they'd have missed a big opportunity to make big strides forward.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Half a season struggle and we're currently 2pts behind the brilliant Liverpool yet somehow so many people are still worried about catching them?

4th is no longer a big concern, we should be aiming for 3rd to avoid the CL qualifier.

Getsme

In real time thought it was dubious and thought it could have been easily given, but watching the replay and the pundits analysing it shows that Webb probably made the right decision by not giving it.
I'm not so sure. It's fair to say its not clear cut, however I've seen them given and I don't think you could argue against it if Webb had given the penalty.
Although Hazard played for it (the penalty) Webb could have taken the easy decision to give it.

Eto'o's foul on Sauraz was definitely a penalty and Liverpool were hard done by there, all in all in though Webb had a good game.

Cal?

CR7 fan
To be honest all Liverpool hatred aside, they've have had a very good season so far. Given that all of their tough games have been away I'd still not rule them out of the title

The very good season has yielded 2pts more than our extremely disappointing season. :)

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
It's the way you've swotted aside the 'lesser' teams that concerns me. If you keep doing that then you're still well in it. Let's hope not though

Yea I agree, we need to finish about 15 points better off than we did the previous season to push for top 4 and we are currently 10 points better off so things are headed in the right direction. The big games at home in this half of the season gives us a better chance to take points of rivals. I'd be estatic is Liverpool and United push Chelsea and Arsenal out!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Their lack of quality in the middle of the park has come back to bite them. The limitations of the endless amounts of limited players they have there was exposed as expected when chelsea decided to put them under extreme pressure. Seems Rogers doesn't understand that in order to play possession football you need players in midfield who are good when in possession of the football. If january ends without him purchasing a couple of midfielders then I think its fair to say they'd have missed a big opportunity to make big strides forward.

the point about new players in January is very relevant. Must see who we and the others bring in. Especially this season with so many teams being so close.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Half a season struggle and we're currently 2pts behind the brilliant Liverpool yet somehow so many people are still worried about catching them?

4th is no longer a big concern, we should be aiming for 3rd to avoid the CL qualifier.
Yes, but catching them doesn't mean we're going to simply sail ahead of them. We've won our last 4, but they've all generally been winnable games and the only one that would've been unsurprising to drop points was against Stoke away. We've found some consistency against the lesser sides, but catching Liverpool doesn't mean we'll soon run away from them unless we can start beating the better sides in the league, which we've been very poor at doing so far. I'd like to hope optimistically for 3rd, but unless one of the top 3 drops dramatically then it's probably not going to happen.

Treble

I don't share your optimism. IMHO, Everton and Liverpool play better than us and are not involved in European games.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The very good season has yielded 2pts more than our extremely disappointing season. :)
Liverpool finished 7th last season, we finished 1st. Relatively speaking, yes it's been a very good season for them and very disappointing for us.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Must be annoying being a Liverpool fan after their best start in years and are behind Everton and only 2 clear of us after our worst start
That is fooking annoying yes.

But on the other hand if you told us the champions of England would be behind us going into 2014 and we are still mathematically in with a chance of challenging for the actual title at this time, I would have taken the offer.

If you further told us we would have played all top 8 sides away for the season (barring Utd) then the silver linings begin to glisten.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
What we do as fans (banter) has no link to the results. I'm not saying that being cocky is advisable of course just that there are always gonna be reasons to laugh whether we're above or behind certain teams. It'll be dull to prevent ourselves from a few laughs because we wouldn't have earned the right.
Yeah, that's fair enough. There's always something to laugh about. But dismissing 'em altogether, as some seem to do, is a dangerous game. Setting oneself up unnecessarily for what will be a cruel fall indeed - I just don't see the point. I'd rather have the last laugh than a premature one I might have to regret.

And, yes - I'm talking exclusively about us fans, of course.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan

How far behind or ahead United we are isn't relevant, you finished the league 28 points better off than us last year, surely the fact you are 12 points behind where you were this time last season and we are 10 points better off than we were last season is a better barometer- the only team you can measure againstto show improvement or decline is yourself.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Last season, we came 1st with 89 points and would've aimed to win the title again. They finished 7th with 61 points, 6 places and 28 points behind us. It's fair to say that each sides measure of a good or disappointing season were going to be very different. For us, the title was the aim and we've fallen well short of that so far. For them, 5th would've been a decent aim, with CL as a bonus if things went well. They're matching up to what was expected, while producing good football in the process.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yes, but catching them doesn't mean we're going to simply sail ahead of them. We've won our last 4, but they've all generally been winnable games and the only one that would've been unsurprising to drop points was against Stoke away. We've found some consistency against the lesser sides, but catching Liverpool doesn't mean we'll soon run away from them unless we can start beating the better sides in the league, which we've been very poor at doing so far. I'd like to hope optimistically for 3rd, but unless one of the top 3 drops dramatically then it's probably not going to happen.
So we've lost to City, drawn with Chelsea and beaten Arsenal out of the current top 3, hardly a massive problem if we take 4pts from those games again in the 2nd half of the season.

I don't share your optimism. IMHO, Everton and Liverpool play better than us and are not involved in European games.

They play better than us but have only achieved marginally better results over half a season where we struggled badly, Van Persie showing any kind of form should be enough to sail past them. Arsenal look the most catchable of the top 3 if Ozil is out for a while.

Cal?

CR7 fan
How far behind or ahead United we are isn't relevant, you finished the league 28 points better off than us last year, surely the fact you are 12 points behind where you were this time last season and we are 10 points better off than we were last season is a better barometer- the only team you can measure againstto show improvement or decline is yourself.
Last season, we came 1st with 89 points and would've aimed to win the title again. They finished 7th with 61 points, 6 places and 28 points behind us. It's fair to say that each sides measure of a good or disappointing season were going to be very different. For us, the title was the aim and we've fallen well short of that so far. For them, 5th would've been a decent aim, with CL as a bonus if things went well. They're matching up to what was expected, while producing good football in the process.

Fair enough, but I'm talking about the CL places, surely no one expect us to have another half season as bad as the first half and at the same time, Liverpool are unlikely to improve of their first half.

Someone

Something
I find it amazing that for all wanking on liverpool's amazing year and our shit start to the season that we're just 2 point behind them, so are spurs after sacking AVB for under performing.

I don't expect them to crumble like they used to in recent years, but i'm confident that a good, not great, second half for us will secure us a top 4 finish.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I find it amazing that for all wanking on liverpool's amazing year and our shit start to the season that we're just 2 point behind them, so are spurs after sacking AVB for under performing.

I don't expect them to crumble like they used to in recent years, but i'm confident that a good, not great, second half for us will secure us a top 4 finish.

This, even marginal improvement on the dreadful first half season should see us get the CL spot. New signing(s) and a good 2nd half should see us back in the top 3.

Saoirse.

Liverpool Fan
Fair enough, but I'm talking about the CL places, surely no one expect us to have another half season as bad as the first half and at the same time, Liverpool are unlikely to improve of their first half.

Why can't we improve? We have hardly had any matches with Sturridge and Suarez both fit together and have to play all the big teams at home, our second half of the season on paper looks far easier than the first half.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why can't we improve? We have hardly had any matches with Sturridge and Suarez both fit together and have to play all the big teams at home, our second half of the season on paper looks far easier than the first half.

I just think it's unlikely you'd improve on the first half of this season... we'll see.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Love how the scousers are getting all tetchy now and trying to convince themselves they're not worried.

I suspected we'd be putting the shits up teams above us before long. Sooner than I thought. No one will enjoy having us lurking around them.

Best ever chance at top four/title, with rivals transitioning, and you're gonna balls it up? Surely not. Good job you've got that piss easy 2nd half to the season with all those banker 3 points.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Ok, we lost two games on the trot and the majority of us fans showed up on these forums straight after. We'll see you back here after a few home games, just so you can put away your 'crawling out of the woodwork' statements then.

In the meantime I'll take my 'nervy' and 'tetchy' arse on to other LFC forums now to discuss the season in a modicum of detail and accuracy.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So we've lost to City, drawn with Chelsea and beaten Arsenal out of the current top 3, hardly a massive problem if we take 4pts from those games again in the 2nd half of the season.

They play better than us but have only achieved marginally better results over half a season where we struggled badly, Van Persie showing any kind of form should be enough to sail past them. Arsenal look the most catchable of the top 3 if Ozil is out for a while.
We've also lost to Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle, while drawing with Southampton. They might not be in the top 3, but I'm talking about some of the leagues top sides in general: overall we've been very poor against sides who are capable of putting up a decent game, which is probably reflected by our often tentative style under Moyes.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
This, even marginal improvement on the dreadful first half season should see us get the CL spot. New signing(s) and a good 2nd half should see us back in the top 3.
Now, we've won 4 games on the bounce though, our first half of the season isn't 'dreadful', just average. Besides, what's the guarantee we'll improve? I think we will marginally, but that's not going to guarantee CL football if Liverpool can have Suarez and Sturridge together with no CL games and playing the top 3 all at home, while we play two of them away. People seem to just assume we'll improve when there's not a guarantee, while assuming Liverpool will crumble for some reason when there's no guarantee.

gasmanc

Banned
Be interesting to see the response now, the first half was no less than a mauling after Skrtels goal but credit where it's due Liverpool did respond 2nd half. It became a somewhat pulsating game in periods but Chelsea really looked in control for large parts. Few injuries creeping into the squad and Suarez looked off his game and at points pissed off, refereeing, niggling fouls and his own team contributing to it. As I am aware there's a nice run of fixtures now for Scouserlona so let the recovery from the Christmas fall begin in earnest.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
It doesn't matter if they have the so called "easier" teams away from home second half of the season, they're quite poor away from home unless they're playing against AVB's crazy high line, as Hull smashing them proves. The fact they have so many difficult home games could actually prove to be a hinderance, if they don't win the majority of them then they're in trouble.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
If Suarez loses form, or is out for periods through injury I expect that they will fall away, and as other injuries take toll on the rest of the squad it will also be difficult for them to maintain a title challeng. I think this applies to us as well in terms of injuries. Both City and Cheslea have much more strength in depth than us and Liverpool, and I expect one of those to pick up the title come May.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Chelsea almost effectively played their second XI against us and won. Albeit at home. We were no slouches and were gunning for them. Incredible strength in depth they have. Chelsea under Mourinho have always been my favourite for the title and even this poor start has not changed my opinon. City will crumble as per usual and Arsenal don't have a striker. Probably never will have.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Chelsea almost effectively played their second XI against us and won. Albeit at home. We were no slouches and were gunning for them. Incredible strength in depth they have. Chelsea under Mourinho have always been my favourite for the title and even this poor start has not changed my opinon. City will crumble as per usual and Arsenal don't have a striker. Probably never will have.
Something we agree on...

Ludens the Red

What?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Now, we've won 4 games on the bounce though, our first half of the season isn't 'dreadful', just average. Besides, what's the guarantee we'll improve? I think we will marginally, but that's not going to guarantee CL football if Liverpool can have Suarez and Sturridge together with no CL games and playing the top 3 all at home, while we play two of them away. People seem to just assume we'll improve when there's not a guarantee, while assuming Liverpool will crumble for some reason when there's no guarantee.

Err... if dropping as many points in half a season as the whole of last season isn't dreadful, I don't know what is.

Van Persie will have a better half of the season, we've finally found some kind of formation, even if it's still zombie passing.

People don't assume Liverpool will crumble, just that with their tiny squad, it's quite likely to happen.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Who was that competition winner they brought on and let be crucified?

Terrible gamble. Have Rodgers signings been forced on him or something? Liverpool seem to have signed quite a few players who don't play or are stuck out on loan.

Glanville95

I'm all for mocking Liverpool, but that was practically Chelsea's first team, besides one or two players like Luiz in midfield and Eto'o upfront.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Liverpool play Hull next and they have a horrible record against Steve Bruce. Form team after beating Fulham 6-0, Huddlestone will eat Liverpool for lunch on New year's day. Nice knowing you Liverpool.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Err... if dropping as many points in half a season as the whole of last season isn't dreadful, I don't know what is.

Van Persie will have a better half of the season, we've finally found some kind of formation, even if it's still zombie passing.

People don't assume Liverpool will crumble, just that with their tiny squad, it's quite likely to happen.
It's very poor, but we did overachieve last season with the squad we had. Not to the extent where we wouldn't have won the title without Fergie, but 89 points probably exaggerated how good that side was. Don't get me wrong, we have been very poor and should be doing much better, but only by about 5 or 6 points at the moment.

And again, where's the guarantee Van Persie will have a better second half of the season? For all we know, he won't. For all we know, he'll get injured again. Hopefully he will have, but you saying that is like me saying Suarez will continue to perform as well as he has so far, which would make Liverpool favourites for the top 4. He might, but there's no guarantee and it's generally just wishful thinking to assume it.

Even if they struggle with their smaller squad, I doubt they'll fall apart. When Sturridge comes back, they'll receive a real boost up front, and they'll benefit from not having to play any European games.

I think we'll get top 4, but not to the extent where we should just assume we will and aim for 3rd. If we go and a great run then 3rd is a possibility, but unless a club in the top 3 really starts to play poorly, I don't see it. Liverpool have more than enough to sustain a top 4 challenge, and while we'll improve, I don't see us having a superb second half of the season either. If we get top 4, Liverpool won't be far behind us in my opinion.

Treble

My pessimistic expectation is that both Everton and Liverpool will finish above us.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
What amazes me is their energy levels. They look like they can run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes every week. Something i havent seen us doing in ages.

The other things that every liverpool player makes himself avaiable for a pass. Man for man they are a weaker team but work much better as a unit.

Thisistheone

What amazes me is their energy levels. They look like they can run up and down the pitch for 90 minutes every week. Something i havent seen us doing in ages.

The other things that every liverpool player makes himself avaiable for a pass. Man for man they are a weaker team but work much better as a unit.
Their energy levels are definitely impressive but they have one game a week. Potentially playing 20 fewer games than the likes of us, Chelsea and Arsenal. Like Mourinho said, it's a huge advantage they've got.