Liverpool

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's very poor, but we did overachieve last season with the squad we had. Not to the extent where we wouldn't have won the title without Fergie, but 89 points probably exaggerated how good that side was. Don't get me wrong, we have been very poor and should be doing much better, but only by about 5 or 6 points at the moment.

And again, where's the guarantee Van Persie will have a better second half of the season? For all we know, he won't. For all we know, he'll get injured again. Hopefully he will have, but you saying that is like me saying Suarez will continue to perform as well as he has so far, which would make Liverpool favourites for the top 4. He might, but there's no guarantee and it's generally just wishful thinking to assume it.

Even if they struggle with their smaller squad, I doubt they'll fall apart. When Sturridge comes back, they'll receive a real boost up front, and they'll benefit from not having to play any European games.

I think we'll get top 4, but not to the extent where we should just assume we will and aim for 3rd. If we go and a great run then 3rd is a possibility, but unless a club in the top 3 really starts to play poorly, I don't see it. Liverpool have more than enough to sustain a top 4 challenge, and while we'll improve, I don't see us having a superb second half of the season either. If we get top 4, Liverpool won't be far behind us in my opinion.

So Sturridge will come back and slot right in and give them a real boost, yet much better Van Persie will struggle to find any form. :rolleyes:

Failure in Europe doesn't really benefit any side, as we've seen in the last few seasons, the year Bayern kicked Rooney & us out of the CL, we capitulated in the league, whereas the seasons we go from strength to strength and make the CL final, we win the league. Last season one could argue we had the league won regardless of how we did in the CL.

Thisistheone

Oh yeah, thats a good point. IIRC they hardly ever rotate too so that helos their team cohesion.
Actually, yeah. That's a good point. With less games, smaller squads, comes better team cohesion and style of play.

It'll be interesting next year if Everton and Liverpool can maintain their standards when juggling the league with Europe. Look at how Newcastle suffered last year, and Swansea this.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
So Sturridge will come back and slot right in and give them a real boost, yet much better Van Persie will struggle to find any form. :rolleyes:

Failure in Europe doesn't really benefit any side, as we've seen in the last few seasons, the year Bayern kicked Rooney & us out of the CL, we capitulated in the league, whereas the seasons we go from strength to strength and make the CL final, we win the league. Last season one could argue we had the league won regardless of how we did in the CL.
Where did I say Van Persie would struggle to find form? I said it's a possibility, due to your assumptions that he will. You said he "will" have a better second half of the season. I expect he probably will, but merely said it's no guarantee. Likewise, Sturridge coming back should benefit Liverpool. Not a guarantee of course, but likely.

We never really capitulated in 2010, considering we finished 1 point behind Chelsea and were hardly far out in front when we were knocked out of the CL. Of course in 2008, 2009 2011 and 1999 we won the league despite going far, but we had the best team in those respective seasons anyway, so that was to be expected. You'll find plenty of examples of teams who have excelled as they've gone further in the CL, but struggled more in the league. Chelsea and Liverpool in 2005 and 2012 are perfect examples. Had neither of them had European competition, they'd have probably stood a greater chance of getting into the top 4.

It might not make a massive difference, but to completely dismiss it is silly. Others in the Suarez thread were saying themselves how he benefits from not having to play midweek, but as soon as it's brought up as something which might help Liverpool finish ahead of us then it's somehow completely irrelevant. With their relatively thin squad, does it not help them that they're going to have less games than us, provided we progress in the CL?

Cal?

CR7 fan
Where did I say Van Persie would struggle to find form? I said it's a possibility, due to your assumptions that he will. You said he "will" have a better second half of the season. I expect he probably will, but merely said it's no guarantee. Likewise, Sturridge coming back should benefit Liverpool. Not a guarantee of course, but likely.

We never really capitulated in 2010, considering we finished 1 point behind Chelsea and were hardly far out in front when we were knocked out of the CL. Of course in 2008, 2009 2011 and 1999 we won the league despite going far, but we had the best team in those respective seasons anyway, so that was to be expected. You'll find plenty of examples of teams who have excelled as they've gone further in the CL, but struggled more in the league. Chelsea and Liverpool in 2005 and 2012 are perfect examples. Had neither of them had European competition, they'd have probably stood a greater chance of getting into the top 4.

It might not make a massive difference, but to completely dismiss it is silly. Others in the Suarez thread were saying themselves how he benefits from not having to play midweek, but as soon as it's brought up as something which might help Liverpool finish ahead of us then it's somehow completely irrelevant. With their relatively thin squad, does it not help them that they're going to have less games than us, provided we progress in the CL?

It's just the way you phrased it, you made it sound like Sturridge coming back will give them a big boost yet questioned if Van Persie coming back will give us a boost.

Anyway, there's no point arguing over it, we'll see how the season progresses.

AlwaysRedwood

How far behind or ahead United we are isn't relevant, you finished the league 28 points better off than us last year, surely the fact you are 12 points behind where you were this time last season and we are 10 points better off than we were last season is a better barometer- the only team you can measure againstto show improvement or decline is yourself.

Ridiculous considering we lost the greatest modern manager in the game.

100% completely ridiculous statement.

Red Stone

You guys didn't really think Liverpool would win the league...did you?

Liverpool. Just say that word and I start laughing.
It was obviously never going to happen, but the time of the year were every Scouser's hopes and dreams are crushed came couple of months late this year.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Liverpool have improved since last season. That is a fact. Think they have finally found a manager who is getting the best out the players he has...and lets be honest...playing some pretty darn good football. But as I have said elsewhere...they will not be able to overhaul the likes of City and Chelsea. So the title is still going to be a stretch.

As for us...I expect next season will be a better measure of where we really are as compared to the top teams. We took almost half a season to find our feet..or Moyes did. The match against the scousers at Old Trafford will be a good test of where the teams are.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
This is an FB conversation from the end of October with my scouse supporting mate:

L: "Haha God Moyes has you lot fecked..No hope of finishing above us! Luis will see to that"
Me: "We'll still finish ahead of you"
L: (Sends pic of league table) Haha awh ye gonna cry? Awh poor you. Moysey has fecked you over. No Fergie to save you now. You're fecked and you're an embarrassment"

Conversation on FB about 20 minutes ago:

L: "Did you see Webb??? He shouldn't be allowed ref a match again!!
Me: Yeah but you're winning the league and finishing above United so it's irrelevant what happened today is it not?
L: Oh you don't understand...I admit both teams should have had men sent off. It wasn't like the Everton game. A local derby and it was a good clean, sporting match!!"
Me "Except when Kevin Mirallas tried to break Suarez in two and when Coleman nearly cut one of your players in half you mean?...But sure despite United now only being 2 points behind you, you'll still win the league and finish above us despite it all. You said it so it must be true.
L: "Oh go feck off with yourself!!! Know nothing bitter little nobody manc!! feck off!!!"

Feedingseagulls

Ye gods. The number of times I have been seeing 'less games' when it should be 'fewer games'. AAAARRGH!! :mad:

Does discussing LFC render people functionally illiterate? Has the English language been subject to such a shrinkage of vocabulary that we have to shoehorn approximate and inaccurate words into our communications because our verbal palette is so restricted? :nono:

I'm with Professor Henry Higgins on this one guys. :D

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Ye gods. The number of times I have been seeing 'less games' when it should be 'fewer games'. AAAARRGH!! :mad:

Does discussing LFC render people functionally illiterate? Has the English language been subject to such a shrinkage of vocabulary that we have to shoehorn approximate and inaccurate words into our communications because our verbal palette is so restricted? :nono:

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
It was obviously never going to happen, but the time of the year were every Scouser's hopes and dreams are crushed came couple of months late this year.

I think you'll find it's been mostly your lot who've been discussing Liverpool's credentials as possible title challengers this season. As it stands we're still on course for a good shot at our pre-season objective of a top 4 finish.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I think you'll find it's been mostly your lot who've been discussing Liverpool's credentials as possible title challengers this season. As it stands we're still on course for a good shot at our pre-season objective of a top 4 finish.

nobody can deny that. You have a great advantage of not being in the cups and Europe. A real test will come next year.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Always thought United never really depended on one or two individuals. Anyway, you've done OK without those 2 lads for the past few games haven't you ?
We aren't. But the difference between missing your two best players of the previous season shows. Create chances -> Can't convert them. Nervousness at the back, players being underwhelming till now (obvious reasons) have been our bane this season.

Past few games have been okay-ish. It's the decent teams and bigger teams we have to win against now.

redman5

nobody can deny that. You have a great advantage of not being in the cups and Europe. A real test will come next year.

'If' that happens, I'd like to think we'll have a good/big enough squad to be able to cope. Yesterday's match showed how thin it currently is. We had nothing in the full-back areas to push up & cause Chelsea problems. Glen Johnson becomes worse by the game, & has no competition to gee him up. Benitez & Dalgish have both tried Agger at left-back, & both failed miserably. You can now add Rodgers to that list - Hadn't realised how well Flanagan had done up until yesterday - I'd like to think that our manager has a couple of good players lined up to join us next month. Plus we have Gerrard & Sturridge due to come back very shortly. So all-in-all we're still confident of giving it a good go in the 2nd half of the season. Lot's of points to be won & lost for all teams in the top 7 or 8. Most of those sides will drop unexpected points (Hull at home for us on Wednesday could be one). It's been a few seasons since we've gone into the 2nd part of the season with something to fight for when it comes to the league. I'm really looking forward to it.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
'If' that happens, I'd like to think we'll have a good/big enough squad to be able to cope. Yesterday's match showed how thin it currently is. We had nothing in the full-back areas to push up & cause Chelsea problems. Glen Johnson becomes worse by the game, & has no competition to gee him up. Benitez & Dalgish have both tried Agger at left-back, & both failed miserably. You can now add Rodgers to that list - Hadn't realised how well Flanagan had done up until yesterday - I'd like to think that our manager has a couple of good players lined up to join us next month. Plus we have Gerrard & Sturridge due to come back very shortly. So all-in-all we're still confident of giving it a good go in the 2nd half of the season. Lot's of points to be won & lost for all teams in the top 7 or 8. Most of those sides will drop unexpected points (Hull at home for us on Wednesday could be one). It's been a few seasons since we've gone into the 2nd part of the season with something to fight for when it comes to the league. I'm really looking forward to it.

no matter how sad it sounds ( :D) I'm sure you will get your CL place. I'm afraid United will miss out this year.

buckooo1978

Hull going to Anfield with their tails up....potential banana skin for Liverpool there given they beat them 3-1 already

Agent Bruce will have a go

Thisistheone

Yeah, Hull at home should be a banker. They've been very good in beating the smaller teams at Anfield.

Thisistheone

Looks like they're getting Tello in from Barca on loan.

Good signing? Better than Moses surely...

Tarrou

Looks like they're getting Tello in from Barca on loan.

Good signing? Better than Moses surely...
I think it's a good signing given the lack of options Rodgers had on the bench against Chelsea. He's way better than Moses imo. I doubt he'll be starting many games but could be a good impact sub to have.

Thisistheone

I think it's a good signing given the lack of options Rodgers had on the bench against Chelsea. He's way better than Moses imo. I doubt he'll be starting many games but could be a good impact sub to have.
Cheers.

Loans could be the way to go in January. A little push to get into the top 4 and then buy in the summer.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Communication, not communications.

Comma before guys in the last sentence.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
"Football is the first resort of the...oh, what's a posh word for 'fecking thick'?" (Oscar Wilde)

redman5

It won't take much to be better than Moses.

Tello hasn't done that much to make me think he can make a big difference to our team. Only hope I have is if the lad uses us as a springboard for a place in Spain's World Cup squad. He'll have done really well come the summer if that's the case, which of course would mean we'll have done well.

Our loan deals up to now haven't really worked out. Sahin & Moses both came with a big reputation, but neither has looked particularly arsed when given playing time. Just hope Brendan's got something a bit better lined up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Tello hasn't done that much to make me think he can make a big difference to our team. Only hope I have is if the lad uses us as a springboard for a place in Spain's World Cup squad. He'll have done really well come the summer if that's the case, which of course would mean we'll have done well.

Our loan deals up to now haven't really worked out. Sahin & Moses both came with a big reputation, but neither has looked particularly arsed when given playing time. Just hope Brendan's got something a bit better lined up.
I don't think Moses came with a big reputation, the only thing he's always had for him was his pace. Other than that, a fairly limited player since his Wigan days. He has never improved since then.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool

Tello looked very good for Barcelona last season. Haven't seen much of them this year, however.

Feedingseagulls

Communication, not communications.

Comma before guys in the last sentence.
Really? I would say that latter comma is optional - and with the modern stylistic trends requiring less rather than more punctuation...

Furthermore, the plural of communication was chosen deliberately to emphasise the repetitive nature of the offence and the numerous instances which we endure.

Nuance is all m'dear! xx

Feedingseagulls

That doesn't really make any sense, though. Communications is an entirely different word than communication. Basically, you're as guilty as anyone ;)
A communication, ongoing communication, multiple communications... The same letters have slightly different nuanced meanings in different instances.

What is the plural of the singular word 'communication' if not 'communications'?* I had good reason for wishing to stress a plural as laid out above. If you find that the phrase I chose did not successfully direct your attention in my intended direction, then sobeit. But there is no error in syntax or semantics there. IMO. ;)

What is true, however, is that 'less' does not mean 'fewer'. Unfortunately it is regularly employed as if it did. A pet peeve, moreso of my wife actually.

* That is communication as a noun denoting an item or event rather than the ongoing process... as a synonym of missive, letter, signal, email, post etc, rather than overall process of information transmission.