Lucas da Silva | Signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
It's funny we think City are great in transfer windows. But in the last two windows they themselves have missed out Sanchez, Hazard, Silva and RVP(it's looking like it).
Lavezzi as well.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Who out of the other clubs has missed out on as many big signings as we have through not quite managing to meet the valuations?
Reportedly we met the valuation but weren't prepared to pay the £6million in fees wanted by his agent and all the hangers on, and rightly so.

Will Absolute

Even City have decided to calm down this summer.
What people don't seem to understand is that, for FFP purposes, the effects of a signing last 6 years. The players City signed last season will still be affecting their eligibility under FFP rules in 2017/2018.

City can't shut the stable door this summer and recover the horse. He's long gone.

They're simply hoping to convince Uefa that they've changed their ways. Even though they're grotesquely in violation of the rules they want to make a case that they're heading in the right direction - they're going to be good boys from now on. All they need is a little time to get their affairs in order. A couple of centuries, say.

Gambit

Reportedly we met the valuation but weren't prepared to pay the £6million in fees wanted by his agent and all the hangers on, and rightly so.
Reportedly PSG went well over the valuation.

IL_DUCE

If we choose to turn our attention towards other players. I'm glad to see Manchester United operate within our own terms, and do not make hasty and possibly bad decisions due to pressure from fans and media and/ or greed from agents and players etc.

If the boy prefers PSG and their money, good luck!

I am sure that everything works out;
A new Nani -contract and signing Van Persie would be a perfect start IMO

Cina

And how many of those sagas were we actually involved in throughout the whole summer? My point being, just because the media makes a transfer into a 'saga' doesn't necessarily mean it is one.
Isn't virtually EVERYTHING on here based on what we hear from the media? There's no point having a debate on the transfer forum if we don't take what happens in the media into account.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
:lol: it's almost Liverpool flow chart worthy.

Not to fussed. Sounds like the ESPN article saying Fergie is angry is complete tosh or so a source close to Ferguson said.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
It's not really rocket science. It's just looking at how the current market works and the way we seem to be completely at odds with what everyone else is doing.

We don't want to spend sugar daddy club money but go after the types of players that will cost sugar daddy club money to sign, and then presumably just hope they'll choose us because we're Manchester United.

It's happened multiple times now in the last two years alone, and all just looks like a massive delusional waste of time.
But that doesn't make sense. You're saying we should look at how the current market works, and then guess that PSG would have come in and bid extra first? What if PSG hadn't come in with a bid, and they sold Lucas to us for the price we were negotiating, which was considerably less than the PSG offer. Also I'm not sure 'we seem to be completely at odds with what everyone else is doing'.....Who is everyone else? Why aren't other clubs coming in and bidding similar money on Lucas? Because PSG is an exception, not the rule.

You're looking at it as if Lucas could only ever have gone for the amount PSG are bidding, which is nonsense. Before their bid went public, were you thinking no £30 odd million isn't enough, best throw much more at it, despite there being no interest from anyone else? Why would we do that? Yes, it would have been great if Sao Paulo had accepted our earlier evaluations, which sounded more than fair, and maybe they might have if PSG hadn't come in big, but they did. That's not something we can predict, and it's certainly not something you can try and pre-empt, as that makes zero business sense...Should we have paid an extra 10 million for Kagawa because another big club might have put in a higher bid for him later on? Should we never look at young talents because there are richer clubs than us who might put in much more?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have to disagree with Noodles on this one. We were clearly very close to matching the price Lucas' club valued him at. You can't anticipate PSG walking in last minute and throwing a gigantic sum of money and outbidding us. The only thing you can be critical of is not offering the excess few million and letting it linger allowing PSG to enter the fray IF that is indeed what happened.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
I have to disagree with Noodles on this one. We were clearly very close to matching the price Lucas' club valued him at. You can't anticipate PSG walking in last minute and throwing a gigantic sum of money and outbidding us. The only thing you can be critical of is not offering the excess few million and letting it linger allowing PSG to enter the fray IF that is indeed what happened.
Even when the 'excess few million' was reportedly £6million in fees wanted by his agent and all the hangers on?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Even when the 'excess few million' was reportedly £6million in fees wanted by his agent and all the hangers on?
I'm saying if there's any to be critical of it's that. Not that I'm critical of it. Btw, we got fecking Bebe for 7 million didn't we?

Moriarty

I don't agree with lining these peoples' pockets, but paying agents (and hangers-on) seems to be the norm these days: a price of doing business. As I recall, we had no such qualms about paying Rio's agent when he came here from Leeds, but Fergie clearly wanted him in the middle of our defence and nobody else would do.

If we adopt a policy of refusing to sweeten agents, then we'll likely miss out on a few players who we want. But if it's a case of PSG gazumping us by paying over the odds, there's not much you can do about it unless the player is set on playing for United.

Moriarty

Read an interview with some Exeter-guy after we signed Sean Goss - where he claimed they would use that amount of money to improve their academy and lift it to Tier 2 (it would apparently cost £300.000 for them - so that transfer alone paid 1/3 of the entire sum.
I still don't understand what a category 1 academy means in terms of our ability to recruit players. How does the rating system work?

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I don't agree with lining these peoples' pockets, but paying agents (and hangers-on) seems to be the norm these days: a price of doing business. As I recall, we had no such qualms about paying Rio's agent when he came here from Leeds, but Fergie clearly wanted him in the middle of our defence and nobody else would do.

If we adopt a policy of refusing to sweeten agents, then we'll likely miss out on a few players who we want. But if it's a case of PSG gazumping us by paying over the odds, there's not much you can do about it unless the player is set on playing for United.
Ferdinand was always going to world class and we're already taking a big enough punt on this twats as it is at 19 and 21. Why should we fork out 6 million for an agent to do nothing?

CnutOfAllCnuts

Bald Boring Cnut
If everything clicks and you keep van Persie, Arsenal could be a challenger to United and City.

But as things stands, United has a better first XI and a better (and importantly, more settled) squad than Arsenal.

Edit: wrong thread

Moriarty

Ferdinand was always going to world class and we're already taking a big enough punt on this twats as it is at 19 and 21. Why should we fork out 6 million for an agent to do nothing?
We shouldn't, but, as I said, it seems to be a normal part of doing business now, especially with South American players. If we want a player bad enough, we'll have to pay the agent and there's not much we can do. It stinks, but it looks like this particular method of doing business is here to stay.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
I think Sao Paulo got what they wanted... I'm happy we're not paying 30m for an unproven player, Lucas really hasn't proved anything and even 30m players carry the risk of being unsuccessful like Veron/Berba... As they require time to adapt.

I mean, if Lucas was playing in the PL, showed his stuff and was playing like an 18yr old Rooney then fine...

I first quoted that I'd only be happy if this deal was maxed at 25m, and we didn't go over that thank god...

There's still other players well worth the money, 46m is another Pastore signing for PSG buying the hype...

Lucas anyhow wouldn't solve our immediate lack of quality CM's anyhow so I hope we are still looking to improve our LB ( Our youngsters are not ready ) or a CM ala Fletcher/Hargreaves type to add grit against bigger sides..

If SAF persist on the youngsters we have like Petrucci/Powell/Tunnicliffe then I'm good too but still we have lacked a Hargreaves in the squad and I'd still say the M'Vila's, Strootmans and Martinez's are what we should be looking at.

Pscholes18

Soccernet is saying its a done deal with PSG and that apparently Robinho told Lucas that Manchester was a boring area to live in.

Gambit

Yeah Manchester has no nightclubs, or cinemas, or restaurants, or bars, or sports, or art, or theatres, or brothels, or whatever wide world of wonders that exist in this magical land known as Paris.

Cina

Yeah Manchester has no nightclubs, or cinemas, or restaurants, or bars, or sports, or art, or theatres, or brothels, or whatever wide world of wonders that exist in this magical land known as Paris.
There aren't many better cities to live in than Paris if you're rich as feck.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's about Disney Land, brother.

KanieKaned

Enjoy those baguettes and alot more time on the bench than he would have seen here. Silly boy, its like choosing selotape when your really after some heavy duty gaffer tape, only difference is the selotape boys ahve thrown in a few extra rolls to cover up for their shite league

Status
Not open for further replies.