Lucas da Silva | Signed for PSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo 07

No better than Ravel M
Considering they are both 18 years old and Lucas is already starring for Club and Country, I think you might have to wait until Ravel is tested at a higher level before you can make a statement like this but how amazing it would be if he turned out to be an exciting world class player.

Devil may care

He ghosted past Scotland's midfield a couple of times in the 15 minutes he was on, he has that low center of gravity that makes him hard to knock over and the chance he created right near the end showed he had good awareness and weight of pass to go with his speed and dribbling.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
He did look quite good when he came on but jeez, he wasn't on that long and it was a friendly against Scotland. I wouldn't go saying he's "ideal" for any big European club just on the basis of today.

TheReligion

Abusive
He did look quite good when he came on but jeez, he wasn't on that long and it was a friendly against Scotland. I wouldn't go saying he's "ideal" for any big European club just on the basis of today.
From what I saw of him he is the type of player we are looking for in our midfield.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I thought this was that Lucas Piazon bloke. Too many Lucases.

RedThaiDevils#7

Married with Manchester United, In love with Giggs
Why? He is a better player than many on here care to admit.
He's good, but will be good enough to replace Scholes ?

Is he good enough for the top 4 ?

Not to mention the top 6 ?

I've watched him many times, he's does have potential, but currently about Sunderland is his level and he isn't ready for the big step up yet.

Rather see Cleverly have a go, not saying that they'll get in each other's way though but if we were considering challenging for the CL, I don't see how Henderson will add that bit of bite in to MF.

Devil may care

He is an AMC.

Doesn't mean there is no room for Rooney if we bought him
He doesn't tackle from what I've seen, he would have to play in a role that allowed him to focus only on attack, which would mean him playing over Rooney or Hernandez.

TheReligion

Abusive
He doesn't tackle from what I've seen, he would have to play in a role that allowed him to focus only on attack, which would mean him playing over Rooney or Hernandez.
I am not so sure about that. Paul Scholes can't tackle!

Could be argued Rooney has been playing deeper as there really is no one else to play there at the moment.

Devil may care

I am not so sure about that. Paul Scholes can't tackle!

Could be argued Rooney has been playing deeper as there really is no one else to play there at the moment.
Scholesy is a bad tackler but he does do it, he is a fully rounded central midfielder, where as Lucas appears to be more in the mould of a classic #10.

If we pushed Rooney higher up Lucas looks like he'd be suited to playing behind him.

At any rate his club have put a crazy price tag in his contract so I imagine clubs will assess him closely over the next year or two before making a move.

Ekeke

He is an AMC.

Doesn't mean there is no room for Rooney if we bought him
He plays exclusively in the hole. None of this "He could play in a midfield 3" crap that gets posted on here about every creative player. It doesnt work like that

TheReligion

Abusive
He plays exclusively in the hole. None of this "He could play in a midfield 3" crap that gets posted on here about every creative player. It doesnt work like that
Don't get your point.

There would be enough room for both he and Rooney in a starting XI

Ekeke

Don't get your point.

There would be enough room for both he and Rooney in a starting XI
If Rooney was the lone striker or played wide yeah. Not in his current position

If Rooney takes the lone striker role, Hernandez and Berbatov are both on the bench. That wouldnt last long. You dont have multiple options like that on your bench

If Rooney plays wide, we arent using him to his full potential. He's very predictable when he plays out there coming onto his right

If you read back I posted the thoughts of a Brazillian football fan, who knows a bit more about the player than we do. He doubted that theres a space for him at United because he's not a forward like Rooney or Hernandez and he's not a winger.

He went on to fully explain that he needs a team like Milan's team a few years ago with 3 central players behind him doing the defending. He would take the Kaka role in front of them. Its a diamond, he's in the hole, as I said earlier in the thread thats exactly the type of player Chelsea need if Ancelotti wants to play a diamond. But thats not us

mufcwarm92

Thing is, we haven't seen enough of him to rule out his defensive capabilities. I think the fact that he was celebrated as a DM when he first broke through says more about his style of play - comfortable at both going forward and defending, box to box.

Ekeke

Thing is, we haven't seen enough of him to rule out his defensive capabilities. I think the fact that he was celebrated as a DM when he first broke through says more about his style of play - comfortable at both going forward and defending, box to box.
So you'd rather trust in what you dont know than what a Brazillian football fan who watches the league each week and has a keen eye on the up and comers for the national team has to say?

Personally I'm going with the guy who has actually seen him play regularly and made it clear he plays at the expense of a forward which is common in Brazil and a bit less common in europe. Certainly a lot less common in England

Devil may care

He went on to fully explain that he needs a team like Milan's team a few years ago with 3 central players behind him doing the defending. He would take the Kaka role in front of them. Its a diamond, he's in the hole, as I said earlier in the thread thats exactly the type of player Chelsea need if Ancelotti wants to play a diamond. But thats not us
If Madrid bough him he'd play in the Ozil role right? because the diamond has always struck me as an overly cautious Italian formation as opposed to an absolute necessity for harnessing players like Kaka'.

Ekeke

If Madrid bough him he'd play in the Ozil role right? because the diamond has always struck me as an overly cautious Italian formation as opposed to an absolute necessity for harnessing players like Kaka'.
Yeah he'd play the Ozil role. So he could play in a 4-2-3-1 as they do

A diamond would allow you to play 2 strikers in front of him, at the expense of real wide players. Width and the majority of crossing would come from the fullbacks and they rarely have the delivery of wingers.

Quality player though he looks, without any versatility to play on the wing, in midfield or a real striker role then its true, he's not our kind of player.

He's 19 though in a few years maybe he's developed into a wide player or something.

Mainoldo

Just a brief skim through this 2 page thread would tell you they are two completely different players.
Yeah was going to say just checked different Lucus. However same club same name... Give me the benefit....

Devil may care

A diamond would allow you to play 2 strikers in front of him, at the expense of real wide players. Width and the majority of crossing would come from the fullbacks and they rarely have the delivery of wingers.

Quality player though he looks, without any versatility to play on the wing, in midfield or a real striker role then its true, he's not our kind of player.

He's 19 though in a few years maybe he's developed into a wide player or something.
When I look at his style of play I think he could adapt to playing from the wing quite comfortably in truth, especially given he is young and still developing, but it would cost us a pretty penny to find out.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

I have to question your Brazilian friend's, IMO, strangely absolute opinion on where he can play as he started off on the right wing v Colombia and when one of the two defensive midfielders was injured he slotted in there with ease for the next 15 minutes until half-time. Then they moved to a more orthodox 433 second half with him playing a similar role to Ramires.

Granted, it was a 'winger' in a 4222, but he stayed very wide and the right back wasn't the typical pretend-winger you're used to seeing from Brazil.

He's very hard working and an intelligent user of the ball so I don't think it's beyond him to play in a more conventional midfield role. He's got the attributes for a wide role too but that'd be a waste, he wouldn't get the ball enough I don't think. He's a very different type of player to what I was expecting.

You can see from the Argentina game he's certainly best suited to playing in the hole though. And that he's got a lot of maturity for one so young.

Devil may care

Cliche question to ask but how is he strength-wise? will he get the usual "needs to bulk up" jabber?

Brwned

I think I'm quite a poor judge of player's physical assets and/or the physical requirements of leagues, so I wouldn't trust my opinion on it!

However, he looks very slight to me and if he wanted to make best use of his aggression or if he was going to be given more defensive responsibilities then I'd suggest he would. He has no trouble taking on a man and holding him off though, from what I've seen.

Devil may care

I think sometimes we place too much importance on the need for bulk, I heard someone the other day talking about players with slight builds having great core strength and balance which enables them to hold off challenges.

Now I don't know enough about Lucas to know what he has to do to be ready for a European league, but that low center of gravity he has may negate the need for him to put much more mass on.

Ekeke

I have to question your Brazilian friend's, IMO, strangely absolute opinion on where he can play as he started off on the right wing v Colombia and when one of the two defensive midfielders was injured he slotted in there with ease for the next 15 minutes until half-time. Then they moved to a more orthodox 433 second half with him playing a similar role to Ramires.

Granted, it was a 'winger' in a 4222, but he stayed very wide and the right back wasn't the typical pretend-winger you're used to seeing from Brazil.

He's very hard working and an intelligent user of the ball so I don't think it's beyond him to play in a more conventional midfield role. He's got the attributes for a wide role too but that'd be a waste, he wouldn't get the ball enough I don't think. He's a very different type of player to what I was expecting.

You can see from the Argentina game he's certainly best suited to playing in the hole though. And that he's got a lot of maturity for one so young.
You know by now that Brazil dont use wingers, they call them attacking midfielders and they are picked wide at times. For instance Robinho and Ronaldinho. He's an attacking midfielder just like they are.

It might just be that I've interpreted what he told me incorrectly as his English isnt amazing. I mean he also said that he's a fan of Crouch, that cant be right.

Seriously though I quoted him earlier in the thread and what he was really saying is that his best position is "Kaka at Milan", that he "doesnt think he'd have the space to play at United because he isnt a forward and he isnt a winger" and we dont set up with a midfield like Milan's.

He doesnt actually say he cant play wide - so I've probably gone over the top with my point about him being exclusive to playing in the hole.

Just that his best position is in the hole and he doesnt think he'd have a space at United because of that.

My friend writes articles for a Brazillian football website I believe. Of course that doesnt mean he's always right and never wrong about Brazillian football, we've all read goal.com and the rest, who knows if where he's writing is any more informed than they are? But you probably do need a passion for the game to continue doing it.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He's good, but will be good enough to replace Scholes ?
He isnt being looked at to replace Scholes. He is being looked at to replace Hargreaves.

Is he good enough for the top 4 ?

Not to mention the top 6 ?
Yes.

I've watched him many times, he's does have potential, but currently about Sunderland is his level and he isn't ready for the big step up yet.
I do not agree at all.

Rather see Cleverly have a go,...
He and Cleverly will never compete for a place in our team. They play completely different roles.

if we were considering challenging for the CL, I don't see how Henderson will add that bit of bite in to MF.
He'd add depth to our squad and hunger to our midfield. Long term, we could even develop him into a star. He'd be as good a signing as a Rodwell.

Brwned

You know by now that Brazil dont use wingers, they call them attacking midfielders and they are picked wide at times. For instance Robinho and Ronaldinho. He's an attacking midfielder just like they are.

It might just be that I've interpreted what he told me incorrectly as his English isnt amazing. I mean he also said that he's a fan of Crouch, that cant be right.

Seriously though I quoted him earlier in the thread and what he was really saying is that his best position is "Kaka at Milan", that he "doesnt think he'd have the space to play at United because he isnt a forward and he isnt a winger" and we dont set up with a midfield like Milan's.

He doesnt actually say he cant play wide - so I've probably gone over the top with my point about him being exclusive to playing in the hole.

Just that his best position is in the hole and he doesnt think he'd have a space at United because of that.

My friend writes articles for a Brazillian football website I believe. Of course that doesnt mean he's always right and never wrong about Brazillian football, we've all read goal.com and the rest, who knows if where he's writing is any more informed than they are? But you probably do need a passion for the game to continue doing it.
I dunno, he's appeared versatile, intelligent and blessed with a wide range of outstanding raw talents - he's a much more European-style player than the likes of Neymar or Ganso. Very disciplined and aware. I'd like to say he's a manager's dream, but that might be a bit hasty.

His u20 coach seems to think he's got plenty of versatility to him:

Ney Franco said:
Lucas gives the coach the option of changing the team during the game. He can be a second forward, a centralized playmaker, a winger, or even a deep lying midfielder. He plays in direction of the goal. Lucas uses his strength a lot and finishes well too. Tactially, he is also very intelligent, and understands the game well. His decision making during matches is impressive. I think Lucas doesn’t feel the weight of wearing Brazil’s jersey.

Brwned

Anyone interested seeing a bit of Lucas would do well to start here, this is what made his reputation grow exponentially and helped him get into the Brazil squad so quickly:

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part1.rar
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part2.rar
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part3.rar
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part4.rar

For anyone not arsed to download from 4 separate links or not arsed to watch a game in Portuguese, which I assume is a lot, here's a brief summary of the game:

Final of the u20 championships, spotlight is still on Neymar as top scorer of the championship with nearly twice as many goals as anyone else, but for the first 40 minutes Brazil struggle with Neymar more focussed on winning fouls and embarrassing opponents than creating anything meaningful. Lucas steps in with a great finish to put them 1-0 up on the 41st minute, is then given the ball on the halfway line on the 42nd minute, bursts past three players without even letting them get near him and he just passes it into the top corner.

The game goes on, he has one terrific trademark run past 4 players that ends with him leafing the last one on the edge of the box with immaculate grace at top speed before sadly firing into the keeper. He then bursts past one player and picks out Neymar with an excellent pass, which Neymar finishes with typical panache. He then is given the captain's armband, which while not hugely significant overall, is somewhat symbolic of the appreciation for him stepping up. He gets his hattrick goal with a simple shimmy on the edge of the box to grab him a bit of space and then fires it into the top corner.

I can see him drawing comparisons with Garrincha over the years. He'll surely be drawing comparisons with many of the Brazilian greats. Forget Brazil's new golden boy, forget Argentina's new Messi, this player was the one who really shone at this cup.

His goal today also:

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Anyone interested seeing a bit of Lucas would do well to start here, this is what made his reputation grow exponentially and helped him get into the Brazil squad so quickly:

Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part1.rar
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part2.rar
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part3.rar
Hotfile.com: One click file hosting: 2011.02.12.Pre.Olympic.Fase.Final.05.part4.rar

For anyone not arsed to download from 4 separate links or not arsed to watch a game in Portuguese, which I assume is a lot, here's a brief summary of the game:

Final of the u20 championships, spotlight is still on Neymar as top scorer of the championship with nearly twice as many goals as anyone else, but for the first 40 minutes Brazil struggle with Neymar more focussed on winning fouls and embarrassing opponents than creating anything meaningful. Lucas steps in with a great finish to put them 1-0 up on the 41st minute, is then given the ball on the halfway line on the 42nd minute, bursts past three players without even letting them get near him and he just passes it into the top corner.

The game goes on, he has one terrific trademark run past 4 players that ends with him leafing the last one on the edge of the box with immaculate grace at top speed before sadly firing into the keeper. He then bursts past one player and picks out Neymar with an excellent pass, which Neymar finishes with typical panache. He then is given the captain's armband, which while not hugely significant overall, is somewhat symbolic of the appreciation for him stepping up. He gets his hattrick goal with a simple shimmy on the edge of the box to grab him a bit of space and then fires it into the top corner.

I can see him drawing comparisons with Garrincha over the years. He'll surely be drawing comparisons with many of the Brazilian greats. Forget Brazil's new golden boy, forget Argentina's new Messi, this player was the one who really shone at this cup.

His goal today also:

Stunning goal, will check out the links you've posted soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.