Luis Nani | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
like their was about vidic and his wife....IF we wanted rid, we'd probably have anyone or two lined up but I doubt we're looking to sell. That would be stupid. I was under the impression we dealt with contracts with a year to go - how long does Nani have?
Yes but are you suggesting there was absolutely no basis for speculation whatsoever regarding Vidic and his wife? It may not have proved enough of an issue for him to actually leave, but there must have been something there for it to go on for so long. Very rarely does a complete fabrication keep on running, there is usually some element of truth to it, even it is has been twisted or exaggerated into something potentially far more sensational.

2 years left i think. Plenty of time yet and like i say i am not suggesting he will leave, or should leave, or we intend to sell him. All i am saying is that i never fully believe anything in the papers, but by the same rule nor should anything be dismissed out of hand. Many seemingly illogical decisions are taken in football, and i have been surprised often enough to know that unpredictable shocks do occur from time to time.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Well I think this is all bullshit but can't really argue with you because even Wayne fecking Rooney whom we never ever expected to even think about leaving so soon ,tried to.
Exactly! That is why we can never dismiss anything completely, and that is all i am saying. Whenever there are contract negotiations there is always some bullshit about what is causing the delay. But the fact there is a delay is also an indication that both parties are not entirely happy.

It may be us, it may be Nani's agent. Who knows? But i would bet if Nani is asking for near Rooney money, then the Glazers will be reluctant to pay that type of wages to someone who doesn't play anywhere as regularly as Rooney, or who is not as fundamentally important to the way we play.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Apart from Ronaldo and Beckham, from obvious reasons, we don't sell our top players to "cash in". It's not in Sir Alex DNA to off load one of his best players to rais fonds to buy new players. Not buying this at all.

Further more is that Nani has showed in this tournament that he's one of the best wingers out there, both defensively and in producing chances. To sell him when he's entering his prime would be pure madness.

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Yeah but this is just a re-hash of those earlier murmerings. Nothing new at all. Nani is hardly likely to be talking to the press about his contract situation right now is he? I'm not even thinking about this stuff until after the relevant teams are out of the euros.
True, but then again because there has been a delay in negotiations, the papers are within their rights to speculate there may be some disparity between what each party is willing to offer or accept as the cause of the delay.

They may not be right about the details, but the fact negotiations have not been completed as yet, and there have been other rumours about high wage demands. So like i said, it may all be nothing, but i am only cautioning those who flippantly dismiss there is any issue at all.

If someone had have suggested 2 years ago that someone would have been willing to pay £35m for Andy Carroll, we would have laughed them out the Caf! So stranger things have happened in football than Nani's agent and Gill hypothetically failing to come to a new contract agreement!

apotheosis

O'Fortuna
Apart from Ronaldo and Beckham, from obvious reasons, we don't sell our top players to "cash in". It's not in Sir Alex DNA to off load one of his best players to rais fonds to buy new players. Not buying this at all.

Further more is that Nani has showed in this tournament that he's one of the best wingers out there, both defensively and in producing chances. To sell him when he's entering his prime would be pure madness.
Any madder than playing Berba for 2 whole seasons when he was mostly shite, and then when he finally looks like the meaner, leaner, more determined striker we wanted to see.......

Who then goes onto have his best season yet and finishes joint PL top scorer. ....

Then completely freezing him out after his best season yet? I mean wtf?

Madness indeed wouldn't you agree, yet it happened nonetheless. Very few of us can make any sense of that whatsoever, or clearly define the reasoning behind it. We shall soon see what will happen, but imo it is very naive to believe something can never happen, simply on the basis you cannot fathom the logic in it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Valencia was fecking brilliant last season and was better but surely Nani is more talented and easily a potential better player than Valencia.
The team looks more balanced with Valencia, he sets up more chances and is better at working the line. Nani is more of an individual and with that comes a little more inconsistency. It depends on what you want in a player. I'm guessing that there will be less need for Nani's creativity with Kawaga coming in, coupled with valencia's consistency last year. This could be a testing season for Nani

Ferguson

No quotes. Plenty of time to sign him to a new deal.

I'm not surprised that the negotiations are difficult. From one point of view Nani is second only to Rooney as a match winner. From another point of view we often prefer Ashley Young to him on the left, and Valencia on the right due to their better defensive qualities and more consistent service of crosses into the box.

If I was Nani's agent I'd be asking for something a little below Rooney money. If I was United I'd be trying to pay a more reasonable sum.

In the end they'll work it out as it's best for both sides.

SirAF

Ageist
Not very concerned about this, United have very good relations with the Mendes camp - and should be able to make a deal here.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
There comes a point where discussing shit journalism actually serves to reinforce why it exists.
twitter is a global website that breeds shit, pure feckin shit , journalism.
Red banner "newspapers" are the same.

The whole transfer forum and sky sports news is based on shit journalism.
sky and its " our man outside the stadium" that may or may not have some big news.....wankers....I mean they must have had a chap outside OT for a month last year when they were touting Sneijder.

The whole summer and winter transfer windows are pure bullshit, every year.

The fact is discussing the shit journalism is actually more entertaining than the facts sometimes, and the vast majority of what we read is about as genuine as kiss from a prostitute.

Skywarden

Im not convinced it is as cut and dried as some of you lot make it sound. Yes he is a top player, but we did buy Young when we had no need of him really.

We also don't know how much he is asking for. The Glazers may be reluctant to give another player Rooney like wages. Especially one who doesn't play anywhere near as regularly as Rooney.

Could SAF be in a position where he may have to sell big before he can buy big? No-one seems interested in Berba or Park yet, so if (hypothetically of course) he wanted Modric/ Martinez or Bale, where else would he get £30-40m quid from? We are hardly stacked with players who could command such a large fee, and for Nani maybe even more.

I am not suggesting anything will happen, but i was surprised by how peripheral Nani seemed last year. Yes he was injured for a while, but so was Valencia. While so many were begging for the return of Valencia and when he came back he was fantastic. Not really the same can be said for Nani.

I just have a nagging doubt that things may not be quite as straightforward regarding Nani. His quality is unquestionable, but he doesn't seem a guaranteed first choice anymore, he also wants a huge wage, and SAF may just decide now is the best time to cash in, possibly to strengthen areas of the team where we are not as well stocked.
I think he did absolutely right to go after Young given we had no adequate cover for Nani (or Valencia). With injuries taken into the equation, there are every reason to have at least three cutting edge wingers at the club. We've taken one step forward, no need to take one step back, surely?

What indicates that he's not first choice any more?

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Following on from a little bit of discussion in the transfer forum;

Could/Should we play Nani is a more central role next season?

We have seem glimpses of him up front and since it doesnt seem very likely that we will sign another striker, could we see a bit more of this next season?
I reckon Nani could be moulded into a very good forward and has a lot of the qualities needed to succeed in a central role - obviously this isnt to say we would stop using him on the wings.

If so, then the combination of Rooney flanked by Welbeck and Nani could become a very nice, interchanging front three for us. Any of them is capable of drifting out wide or playing through the middle.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Following on from a little bit of discussion in the transfer forum;

Could/Should we play Nani is a more central role next season?

We have seem glimpses of him up front and since it doesnt seem very likely that we will sign another striker, could we see a bit more of this next season?
I reckon Nani could be moulded into a very good forward and has a lot of the qualities needed to succeed in a central role - obviously this isnt to say we would stop using him on the wings.

If so, then the combination of Rooney flanked by Welbeck and Nani could become a very nice, interchanging front three for us. Any of them is capable of drifting out wide or playing through the middle.
That's ignoring a very exciting player we signed this summer..

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
id like to see him in a front 3 with rooney and welbeck. Thats the makings of a potent attack right there.

imagine the 3 of them mixing it all over the top of the field, mouthwatering prospect.

Nani has a lethal shot too so if he was in a more central role upfront he could be encouraged to shoot more.

I think we might see that formation this year, I hope so.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Given that its highly unlikely that all of our wingers will remain healthy for the entire season, all of them should get plenty of minutes on the wings. If Kagawa gets injured or misses time otherwise, Nani can easily play there. The entire idea of buying the likes of Young and Kagawa is to give Fergie plenty of options.

Jaz

ITV commentators couldn't resist mentioning his contract negotiations have stalled.

Queue Glazer hating.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Given that its highly unlikely that all of our wingers will remain healthy for the entire season, all of them should get plenty of minutes on the wings. If Kagawa gets injured or misses time otherwise, Nani can easily play there. The entire idea of buying the likes of Young and Kagawa is to give Fergie plenty of options.
That's true. The fact that three of them can play through the middle behind the main man, with Kagawa maybe being able to do more than that as well means that they will all get plenty of playing time. Valencia is our only really direct winger who is confined to one wing. The others can probably all interchange or play as a second striker if Rooney is injured or up top.

Ekeke

Has had a good half, an important reason why Portugal got back into the game. Some good crosses into Ronaldo and not giving the ball away.

Of course Andy Townsend is trying to make out that Ronaldo is doing everything himself. Score Holland 1, Ronaldo 1

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Has had a good half, an important reason why Portugal got back into the game. Some good crosses into Ronaldo and not giving the ball away.

Of course Andy Townsend is trying to make out that Ronaldo is doing everything himself. Score Holland 1, Ronaldo 1
Agree with above, Nani has been very good, all the good creative play is going through him but Townsend is a bit of a buffoon by saying Ronaldo is doing everything!

Amir

I hate it when commentators do that, it's so silly. It's a team game. Ronaldo's goal is worth nothing if the backline concedes three, if the midfield fails to dominate like Portugal has, if Pereira doesn't deliever the perfect ball to him.

erickingcantona

Nani had a tremendous first half. Watching in French and the commentators are certainly signing his praises!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Missed a great chance but was brilliant today. He and Ronaldo really stood up tonight.

In terms of dribbling ability he surely must be amongst the top 5 in the world?

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
Fergie sign him up...we should give him what he wants!!

Was brilliant today, didn't give the ball away once and his touch, control and final ball been top notch.

Luminous Lizard

His final ball, in both crossing and passing seems to be a notch above what he usually does for us. Wonder if it's because he doesn't have as much defensive responsibility's or just better runs.

Baxter

Missed a great chance but was brilliant today. He and Ronaldo really stood up tonight.

In terms of dribbling ability he surely must be amongst the top 5 in the world?
Without a doubt. When 1 on 1 against a defender it seems almost impossible to stop him.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
He must be up there with the best in terms of assists for both club and country!

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
He was fantastic today, pity he couldn't round it off with the goal he deserved. That chance was easy, and Nani usually is great infront of goal.

JB7

His final ball, in both crossing and passing seems to be a notch above what he usually does for us. Wonder if it's because he doesn't have as much defensive responsibility's or just better runs.
This. As part of the attacking three he doesn't have as much responsibility to defend and protect his full back, and he's playing alongside Ronaldo who is simply the best around at making those kind of runs that playmakers feed off. He is a very good player, better than he gets credit for, and is wasted in a midfield four in my opinion.

Steven Seagull

Yeah I think he's helped particularly by the 3 centre mids doing a lot more work than a Carrick/Scholes partnership for example. I love watching him play and I'll be relieved when he signs a contract.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Don't agree with that.

Watching him tonight was like watching him when he's on top of his game for United. Makes all the right decisions, unselfish and always willing to play the early pass. He's put in plenty of performances like that for United.

It's weird actually. Most players seem to hog the ball when they know they're playing really well, individually. Nani's the opposite. Becomes more of a team player when he's on top of his game.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This. As part of the attacking three he doesn't have as much responsibility to defend and protect his full back, and he's playing alongside Ronaldo who is simply the best around at making those kind of runs that playmakers feed off. He is a very good player, better than he gets credit for, and is wasted in a midfield four in my opinion.
Wouldn't say wasted but I do think nani is meant to be a wide attacker/playmaker more in the Ronaldhinio mould than a winger in a 442. And last season we started to see him play more like that imo.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
It's weird actually. Most players seem to hog the ball when they know they're playing really well, individually. Nani's the opposite. Becomes more of a team player when he's on top of his game.
Good observation. He's much better when he plays with his head up.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Shame about the miss but otherwise he's got great vision to set up others.That pass for Ronaldo's second was a thing of beauty in terms of timing and weight.
:rolleyes: the commentators didn't even mention that aspect once

Baxter

Wouldn't say wasted but I do think nani is meant to be a wide attacker/playmaker more in the Ronaldhinio mould than a winger in a 442. And last season we started to see him play more like that imo.
I agree. I think a lot of people forget how good he was last season because of his injuries throughout. When looking at his level of productiveness, it was right up there with 10/11 and as good, if not better than players like Bale and Mata.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Shame about the miss but otherwise he's got great vision to set up others.That pass for Ronaldo's second was a thing of beauty in terms of timing and weight.
:rolleyes: the commentators didn't even mention that aspect once
Nuff said

EB100

Like I said in the match thread, his delivery is that good for us every time he's on the right and on top of his game. That was why he was player of the season in 10/11. That's the best Nani.

JB7

I agree. I think a lot of people forget how good he was last season because of his injuries throughout. When looking at his level of productiveness, it was right up there with 10/11 and as good, if not better than players like Bale and Mata.
I'm not saying he wasn't good last season. He's been excellent for us both on the right and left over the last couple of years, but I've always thought he comes into his own when pushed further up the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.